Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 21:39   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
So what I would say is- if you like the looks of a Standard 350, just go ahead and buy it and ride it as it is. Just change the tank motif to the old type. The new ones doesn't appeal to me ; then it is just me.
Yes I agree- I do wish they'd retained the old badges! The news ones are actually plastic and smaller!

I'm of course keeping an eye out for the old METAL logos, although I guess there are people in Hyderabad who actually remake them out of brass or so.

BTW- do you mean to say even the UCE Standard 350 has the "heavy crank?"

Oh, and as mentioned, I'm NOT going for an Electra!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 21:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Y
BTW- do you mean to say even the UCE Standard 350 has the "heavy crank?"
Standard 350 has the heaviest crank (the same weight as that of a 500 CC UCE) in the 350 CC line up (not as heavy as that of the G2 Engine though).

Last edited by adrian : 30th August 2015 at 21:53. Reason: adding info
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 22:39   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Standard 350 has the heaviest crank (the same weight as that of a 500 CC UCE) in the 350 CC line up (not as heavy as that of the G2 Engine though).
So does that still enable you to cruise around at lower speeds in higher gears like on the older CI models (in which I was told by an "uncle" who had one, that you could ride in 4th gear at 10 kmph) though not as much probably?

Last edited by Stanher : 30th August 2015 at 22:48.
Old 31st August 2015, 00:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
So does that still enable you to cruise around at lower speeds in higher gears like on the older CI models (in which I was told by an "uncle" who had one, that you could ride in 4th gear at 10 kmph) though not as much probably?
Unfortunately the answer is No. The UCEs require more gear changes than the cast iron Bullets. Compared to it's sibblings (350 UCEs), the Standard requires lesser gear changes which makes it an ideal ride in city traffic. You can also take gradients without dropping down a gear.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 10:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, just wanted to bump back with an update - Firstly, I've finally taken a TD on a standard 500cc as well! Though this was exactly a week ago, last Sunday. I was initially drawn towards features like the ES, front DB and rear gas shocks though not exactly floored by it all.
Stanher mate you said it. If you are not impressed with the Bullet Standard 500 then look at the Classic 350, Electra 350 or Bullet 350.

Quote:
Next checked for the possibility of buying and converting an Electra to standard mudguards with the concerned dealer whom I happen to know. He pointed out that while it was possible, it'd involve changing the entire front fork assembly as they're both different on the Electra vs. Standard (seen in pics) So as per him this would not work out too economically either! Added to the fact that I'd pay more for the Electra just to buy it new before spending on these mods.
The service advisor is bang on correct as I have done a Standard to Electra mod on my Standard CI. Also it would be better to buy a Classic350 instead of carrying out this mod.
Quote:
So...as of now my verdict is for- dumb as it sounds- the Standard 350cc and later invest on upgrading it to the ES, front discs etc as on Electra as finances permit. I guess I may be in a position to go for a 500cc once I get used to a 350cc for a good few years...and finances permitting of course.
Mate I would suggest you to go for the Bullet500 or Classic500 or Tbird500 considering the modifications you are looking at and eventually buying a 500cc. Since you have issues with the motorcycles' weight you have to rule out the Tbird500 as it is the heaviest among the lot. But believe me mate once the Tbird starts rolling all that weight and heft disappears. This is from my experience. You can also check out other Tbird ownership threads on TeamBHP. As Adrian has aptly put about the braking dynamics and kick start ease you can also consider the Bullet Standard 350, but remember you will be missing out on electric start and front disc brake. All the best with your decision.
Old 31st August 2015, 22:18   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Stanher mate you said it. If you are not impressed with the Bullet Standard 500 then look at the Classic 350, Electra 350 or Bullet 350.
The service advisor is bang on correct as I have done a Standard to Electra mod on my Standard CI. Also it would be better to buy a Classic350 instead of carrying out this mod.
Navin mate, no offence but please take the trouble and R-E-A-D this post of mine (and one before that) where I'd explicitly said that the Classic 350 is strictly OFF my list! Mainly for the same reason as the STD 500 is- weight (and price) factor! I know that's a lot of reading but trust me it's worth it!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3776355

Quote:
Mate I would suggest you to go for the Bullet500 or Classic500 or Tbird500 considering the modifications you are looking at and eventually buying a 500cc.
Again, please R-E-A-D another post of mine above, mate! I'd clearly mentioned that the STD 500, which I test-rode, put me off with it's weight (and price!) So any 500 is definitely out of the question!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3790748

Quote:
As Adrian has aptly put about the braking dynamics and kick start ease you can also consider the Bullet Standard 350, but remember you will be missing out on electric start and front disc brake. All the best with your decision.
Not necessarily, since I can afford to get these incorporated into the Std. 350 at a later stage as well. (Yes it would cost me I know, but so would converting an Electra 350 to a STD with respect to the mudguards!) I'm not going to use it extensively or for very long journeys rightaway if I buy it this year. So I don't mind the wait.

Last edited by Stanher : 31st August 2015 at 22:23.
Old 1st September 2015, 10:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin mate, no offence but please take the trouble and R-E-A-D this post of mine. Again, please R-E-A-D another post of mine above, mate! I'd clearly mentioned that the STD 500, which I test-rode, put me off with it's weight (and price!) So any 500 is definitely out of the question!
No offense taken mate. My bad. My suggestion to you on the Bullet500 was based on your sentence, "I guess I may be in a position to go for a 500cc once I get used to a 350cc for a good few years...and finances permitting of course". Some riders directly start riding the 500cc and some do it in steps by riding the 350cc first and then UPGRADE to a 500cc. From your posts looks like you belong to the latter category.

Quote:
Not necessarily, since I can afford to get these incorporated into the Std. 350 at a later stage as well. (Yes it would cost me I know, but so would converting an Electra 350 to a STD with respect to the mudguards!) I'm not going to use it extensively or for very long journeys rightaway if I buy it this year. So I don't mind the wait.
Mate just to enlighten you on the cost factor. Retrofitting a electric starter(15-17K apprx.) and a disc brake(10K apprx.) will cost much more than just fitting the STD mudguards to an Electra. Since you have already chucked off Electra of your list the discussion ends there. Also as you rightly said the additional weight is a turn off for you, considering the Electra weighs 7 kgs more than a STD. Since you don't have a problem with waiting it's good as all RE motorcycles except Thunderbird500 have long waiting periods.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 10:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you don't have a problem with waiting it's good as all RE motorcycles except Thunderbird500 have long waiting periods.
Oh I see. I was told by the local dealers here that it's 1 month - 45 days only for Standard 350cc! Or is the minimum waiting period?
Old 1st September 2015, 10:36   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh I see. I was told by the local dealers here that it's 1 month - 45 days only for Standard 350cc! Or is the minimum waiting period?
Mate it depends from dealer to dealer. For example when I booked my Tbird500 from a dealer he gave me a "guaranteed" delivery time period of 1 month which eventually became 2 and a half months. I cancelled the booking and went to the company showroom which delivered me the motorcycle in less than 3 weeks flat. Also their new factory at Oragadam has been rolling out models faster than before. If you get your motorcycle in the time period as told by the dealers in your area then good. Else as you said you don't mind the wait. All the best with your booking.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 17:20   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you get your motorcycle in the time period as told by the dealers in your area then good. Else as you said you don't mind the wait. All the best with your booking.
Yes but I do mind accountability or the lack thereof!

Anyways, yes all is well if the time mentioned is adhered to accordingly, but still mentally prepared otherwise. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 1st September 2015, 18:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
. You can also take gradients without dropping down a gear.

Mate,

Where did you get this information? Can you please share the source?

When i compared the specs on their website, I did not find any difference between the torque or power.

And very interestingly the weight of CL 350 is higher than that of Standard.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 6456
Size:  118.1 KB
Old 1st September 2015, 18:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

@Stanher

There is definitely a huge difference between the drum and disk in these bikes. We have been riding the CL for close to 10 years now and can see the upgrade to disc is here to stay and it makes a huge difference.

If you can get the bike out retrofitted with the disc its worth the additional money. In fact if you can convince them to fit the GT Continental brakes you would get the best out of bike. The brakes in GT Continental (front) is unbelievably effective.

You wont go wrong with either of the 350. The difference in weight is actually not a factor after few rides. Your test rides are one time, but once you start riding these torquey bikes you will realize that weight is not an issue but a nice blessing in disguise.

Just riding few weeks the bike grows smaller and lighter for anyone. So consider that factor as well.

No major recommendations, go with your heart and buy what is comfortable and affordable.

If you are saying you can afford both, including any retrofit cost, try for the GT brakes. Absolutely fantastic.

Quote:
But frankly then, is it worth spending above 1.5L on a 500cc machine only to drive it that way?
You would be surprised with the answer. Which is a big YES. I ride the bull in 4th gear, at less than 20kmph. price and speed are not relational when it comes to these bikes. The ownership is more than speed.

(I am sure someone would have suggested, but let me say, try the KTM 390 - We bullet riders started enjoying what the 390 offers as a package - Lightest and yet much better for long rides and city rides for some)
Old 1st September 2015, 19:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,

When i compared the specs on their website, I did not find any difference between the torque or power.

I don't have any source validating this , but I will second Adrian on the heavy crank on the STD 350 . Not sure the exact weight but from what I know, it is the same as the 500.
It was the same when Cast Irons were sold till the end although over the years, the weight kept changing.

The uniqueness of the STD 350 apart from its looks and lack of new technology was the heavy crank and that made it a hit in some markets., Kerala being a big one.

I was actually surprised too when I heard the UCE carried on the legacy, but couldn't find any difference in the specs on their website.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 19:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the source
I agree with what Adrian and Tharian said, even I've heard the same from different mechanics. Although the topic of crank weights seem to be a murky area.
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 20:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Mate,

I got this from the label attached to the crankcase of my Bullet at the time of delivery, just like the one below.

Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?-20120603_180034.jpg

Picture courtsey : abhishek24x 's ownership thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html

The CL 350 is heavier because of the starter motor assembly, the disk brake assembly and the bigger battery.

Last edited by adrian : 1st September 2015 at 20:11.
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed