Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 10:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Different bikes = Different riding styles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Then One day I got a chance to ride pillion on a 1995 350 Bullet, 4 speed. And Wow the thump and beat and the experience really impressed me.
First of all thanks to the mods to shift this post to this thread. amrisharm mate your experience of riding pillion on an Enfield is very similar to mine. I once sat on one of my office colleagues' AVL Tbird and was completely in awe of RE motorcycles. This was prior to me buying my own RE motorcycle. I would have suggested you a new RE motorcycle but since you like me were floored by the thump, beat and rolling characteristics of the CI I will suggest you to buy well a CI.
Quote:
Now I have 90% made up my mind to go for an old Bullet and not a new one.
90% of the work is done, this is the biggest decision one has to make while buying an RE. I hope you have weighed all the pros and cons of the old Bullet vis a vis a new Bullet.
Quote:
So the question is which model year should I get? I see Bullets from the 70's all the way to the early 2000's. So Navin sir how are the 70's models when it comes to getting parts? Also what about the 80's models when it comes to sourcing parts? I would love to own a 80's model bullet. But am worried about parts availability.
Mate don't call me sir. First of all the second hand market is very dicey and a shady place. Finding a good motorcycle is like finding a needle in the haystack. Most of the old RE's especially from the 70's one finds in the ab(used) markets are bits and parts. That is the motorcycle of that era will have many of its original parts changed which is quite ok given its age. Some people use genuine body parts whereas some go for fabricated ones or replica parts. Engine wise it would or wouldn't have undergone a complete overhaul depending on the previous owner. Parts availability is not an issue as RE produced the same bike till 2010. Here in Bombay running parts like clutch, carb, sprocket, chain, wheels, cables, brakes are easily available. In addition to this one can also find CI barrel, head, piston, gears, etc. I would suggest you to look for models post 2005 as you will have less worries when it comes to paper work and overall condition of the motorcycle.

One of my friend bought a 1980's CI Standard Bullet and he had his patience tested with that motorcycle. Eventually me and him restored it and it now stands in his apartment. You need to have patience, time and money to work with these motorcycles depending on their condition. All the best on your search.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Some people use genuine body parts whereas some go for fabricated ones or replica parts. Engine wise it would or wouldn't have undergone a complete overhaul depending on the previous owner. Parts availability is not an issue as RE produced the same bike till 2010. Here in Bombay running parts like clutch, carb, sprocket, chain, wheels, cables, brakes are easily available. In addition to this one can also find CI barrel, head, piston, gears, etc. I would suggest you to look for models post 2005 as you will have less worries when it comes to paper work and overall condition of the motorcycle.

One of my friend bought a 1980's CI Standard Bullet and he had his patience tested with that motorcycle. Eventually me and him restored it and it now stands in his apartment. You need to have patience, time and money to work with these motorcycles depending on their condition. All the best on your search.
Hi Navin Mate . Thank you for your detailed answer. I just wanted to clarify, so the RE Bullet engine remained the same for over 15 years till 2010? I think I will take up your advice and look for a post 2005 bullet.

Also I am confused with regards to the 4 speed or 5 speed versions. What would you recommend?

What are your views on the pre 2010 500cc model? how rare are they? Do they share the same parts as the 350 cc model (excluding the engine head)? Now its clear to me that I will be keeping my 220fi for daily use and will be using my Bullet only for weekend rides. So high running costs is not a problem for me.

Off topic Navin mate, did u spend some time in Australia or New Zealand by any chance?
Old 14th September 2015, 17:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I just wanted to clarify, so the RE Bullet engine remained the same for over 15 years till 2010?
Mate I meant to say the engine design had remained unchanged from 1950's up until 2010 for CI Bullets when the production ceased. There were some minor subtle changes in the CI's over the years like mudguards, toolboxes, tail lights, indicators, etc. cosmetic wise. Engine wise the older CI Bullets from 50's, 60's and early 70's used a heavy crankshaft, oil pressure relief valve screwed to the crankcase and connected to the oil breather pipe, single cycle type hub, single leading drum brakes, and many more...
Quote:
Also I am confused with regards to the 4 speed or 5 speed versions. What would you recommend?
I have used both 4 and 5 speed versions and still do. There is not much of a difference between the two except for gearing on the left side on a 5 speed model and lesser vibes while doing speeds due to the additional 5th gear vis a vis the 4 speed transmission. The latter aspect is hardly noticeable though. However the only CI version you will find is the Electra that comes in 5 speed which uses either CDI or TCI ignition instead of Standard CB points ignition. These are relatively niggle free and reliable compared to CB points. If you want a CI with 5 speed transmission and a relatively trouble free engine with respect to ignition(does not require tuning and timing like the CB points) then you can opt for Electra. The Electra is a hugely underrated motorcycle from RE's stable, in my opinion it is one of the best bikes from RE where one gets left side gear system, 5 speed transmission, better suspension, front disc brakes(post 2003 models of Electra came with front disc brake), etc.
Quote:
What are your views on the pre 2010 500cc model? how rare are they? Do they share the same parts as the 350 cc model (excluding the engine head)?
Well the 500cc model in itself is an enigma, especially the CI model. Some part sharing is similar between the 350cc and 500cc but they are mostly cosmetic. Engine wise 500cc uses a larger barrel and a bigger head, heavier crankshaft than the 350cc, 5 clutch plates instead of 4, etc. There was another 500cc model called the Machismo AVL 500 which came with an aluminium engine. This model will be somewhat cheaper than 500 CI to procure. Both these models are hard to come by in the used market and even if available will demand a huge premium. The minimum asking price for these models is 1 lakh and above. The parts for both these models are difficult to come by. People wait for months to get parts and end up paying huge sums to procure them. I will suggest go for Electra 5 speed model.
Quote:
Off topic Navin mate, did u spend some time in Australia or New Zealand by any chance?
No mate, I know from where you are getting this idea. I like to address people like that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks