Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 22:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How far will a Bullet with a rattling big end take me?

Sid,
There is one problem in transporting the bike from Delhi. You can't parcel it from any of the stations in delhi (NZM, NDLS, DLS etc.) the other option is to buy a general class ticket and book your bike on the basis of ticket, or if you are going by the same train then you can book the bike and take it along.
There is one mechanic near atta market in Noida, dont go there. he did spoil my 98 and 62 Bulls.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 25th July 2012, 12:43   #17
BHPian

Wow! Has it really been a year and a half now? Didn't know it's been so long since I last logged in.

Moderaters, this is not a bump but a closing post, a last post for this thread.

I realised, clearly quite late, that I didn't tell anyone what I did finally. (Sorry.) I took the bike to Chandigarh in the Brake/Luggage car of the evening Kalka Shatabdi. The fare was 700 bucks for the bike. I donated Rs 200 (or maybe Rs 300) to the guy who packed straw and gunny bags on the bike. It was a donation because besides my bike, there were just a few small parcels kept around it. Packing wasn't necessary. It was parked on its side stand in the small (1/10th the length of the last car) luggage compartment.

Anyway, it reached home safely and has been parked at my uncle's place for the last one year. I haven't seen it since. Next time I go to Chandigarh. I'll hand it to Satnam for an engine rebuild, chain set replacement and upgrade of the electricals from 6V to 12V. Will start a separate thread for that.

Thank you all for your inputs!

Last edited by Darth Sid : 25th July 2012 at 12:45.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

I once did a 800 km ride after the big end on my LB500 went bust. Loud rat a tat and all, she still kept up with the other LBs at 120+ speeds (throttleking here was along too) and came back to Pune for the rebuild without any further drama. No overheating, no breakdown, no oil issues, negligible loss of power. And the rat a tat had been coming for a good 200 odd kilometers before the ride, and we delayed opening her up due to the lanned ride which I did not want to back out from. So 1000 kms to answer your question, though the standard floating bush big end is different.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th July 2012 at 13:15.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I once did a 800 km... So 1000 kms to answer your question, though the standard floating bush big end is different.
I believe the LB 500 has a roller big end - much more forgiving. But, 120 kph with a rattling big end is really something, regardless!
Old 25th July 2012, 14:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I believe the LB 500 has a roller big end - much more forgiving. But, 120 kph with a rattling big end is really something, regardless!
That's right. Forgiving but much more difficult to rebuild thanks to RE's inability/commercial reluctance to provide necessary parts. Most of the parts need to be outsourced, like the oversized pin. The standard floating bush is much more easily rebuilt, and on current evidence, sturdier. The LB does great as long as the big end is ok. But the big ends grenade too soon (as early as sub 10000 kms in many bikes), and the bike is never the same after that.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's right. Forgiving but much more difficult to rebuild thanks to RE's inability/commercial reluctance to provide necessary parts. Most of the parts need to be outsourced, like the oversized pin. The standard floating bush is much more easily rebuilt, and on current evidence, sturdier. The LB does great as long as the big end is ok. But the big ends grenade too soon (as early as sub 10000 kms in many bikes), and the bike is never the same after that.
Well, that's RE for you...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks