Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 14:52   #1
BHPian

New tyre and K&N filter for P220Fi

Hi guys,
I've not been regular on here, but now I need some help. I've been loving my P200Fi, that is now nearly three years old. Regular servicing, clean-ups, and replacements have kept her in nearly top shape.

However, I need to change my rear tyre, for the tread is now pretty thin, and I find myself loosing grip at times. Any suggestions? I have been pretty happy with the stock tyre, and do not want something wide and fancy. Just a functional replacement, if I could get a little more grip, that would be great, if not - no problems. Please suggest something, but not too expensive. I'd like to keep it under 2.5K.

A friend also suggested a K&N filter for my bike. He claims a better pickup, which I would love, and a slightly better mileage, which would also be nice (but not necessary). However, the top speed drops, according to him. Why is this? He has a Yamaha RXZ. Can I also put in such a filter? How much should I pay, and what model? What benefits can my Fi expect?

Thanks!
Old 24th January 2011, 15:11   #2
BHPian

Re: New tyre and K&N filter for P220Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Hi guys,
A friend also suggested a K&N filter for my bike. He claims a better pickup, which I would love, and a slightly better mileage, which would also be nice (but not necessary). However, the top speed drops, according to him. Why is this? He has a Yamaha RXZ. Can I also put in such a filter? How much should I pay, and what model? What benefits can my Fi expect?

Thanks!
I own a P220 DTSi. Of what I have seen/experienced wrt K&N is that the engine breathes freely. But does it really make it faster, Iam not too sure. Hearing the 'smoother sound', one tends to feel that the bike is going faster. Even if if it does, the increase might be very minimal. And please note that severe long term ripping might damage the inlet valves of the engine (as per a mechanic) if u use a power Filter.

As per my enquiry in 2009, K&N filter came in different ranges starting from 1400 upto 2.75k for p220. They say, the costlier the better!!

And finally as far as I understand the technicalities, K&N makes engine breathe more. So only it requires a 'richer' tuning to take out more power and add to it other things like ffe etc. A 'combination' is what makes a super sport 'champion', not just a K&N.

Please do not try this (Just for clarity):-
As per principle, K&N filter with the kind of technology it uses, increases the air flow. For a test, I removed the stock filter and drove the bike for a few meters WITHOUT a filter at all. To me there wasn't any much power difference. IT is very dangerous to do that, I know, but I made sure the ride was small and there wasn't much dust around.

So in short, what ever you do, do at a proper workshop which specializes in mods. Don't go for a K&N bcoz ur friend said so.
Old 26th January 2011, 23:51   #3
BHPian

Thanks Sam. So I might damage my engine...hmmm would not want to do that. OK back to the other query. The Bajaj service centre doesn't have a rear tyre for the 220Fi in stock. Is there any other tyre that can be used of an identical rating, preferably with a deeper tread/better grip on wet, and dusty roads? Do not want a soft compound like Michelin that will wear fast. Please help.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:07   #4
BHPian

Any advice on the tyre, what options do I have? People say Zapper tubeless tires face uneven wear. Is this true? Please suggest a couple of options.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You the same Vandal as in some other forums working for a 'geek' magazine?

Anyway, coming to your query:

K&N is a good option. I found a noticeable difference in the top end of the bike. This was when I had modded my P180 DTSIi (1st Gen) only with a KK&N and bigger jets for the carb. It was accelerating from 100-120 EASILY! Much more easily than before. Apart from that, I LOVED the noise it made!

The tyre: As of now to be honest, you dont have many options. The 220 Fi comes with 17" rims and in 17" you dont have too many tyre options.

Let me find out with Michelin if they have anything in 17". When I last checked they didnt have anything.
Old 2nd February 2011, 19:06   #6
BHPian

Hi Vandal,

As for K&N:
I have a Karizma 2006. I have had K&N for almost 2 years now. No problems till date if you regulary clean and lubricate it.

See theoretically K&N is a free flow Air Filter which means it allows more air to pass through. For optimum ignition of petrol and air there is a fixed ratio (I guess 14:1). So if you increase your Air Supply only this ratio will change, hence to maintain this optimum ratio you have to increase your fuel supply also. Which can be done by installing a slightly bigger jet in the carb. (I am not sure how it is done in FI bike).

Both these changes should give you slight edge in pickup. If you couple it with a Free Flow Exhaust which theoretically improves Engine Breathing further by allowing exhaust gases to escape more freely, then all this combination would definately improve the performance of the bike. Free Flow Exhaust generally improves your throttle response also.

I have made all these changes in my bike, and they definately improved my Bike's performance. My bike's Mid range became devastating and my throttle response improved significantly.

Also please note that the degree of improvement is not consistent. By this what I mean is How the engine has run-in, in which state of tune it is generally determine the degree of improvement.

The improvements are in the range of 5-15% in my opinion.

For your bike I think you should go for RC1200 K&N filter which should set you back by around 2K. Please remember you cannot just wash a K&N air filter. You have to lubricate it also, This process for K&N is called "Charging". The kit comes for around 1100Rs. You can get it recharged from somewhere else also. But people tend to charge around 200Rs for 1 recharge so it economically better to buy the kit. The filter needs a recharge around 2K - 2.5K Kms.

Please let me know in case you need any more suggestion.
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Vandal: For the P220 Fi. Stay away from KnN.Tried/Tested/Reverted to Stock.

Use a KnN only if you want to Kill you Engine!! If you are still adamant on getting an KnN, get only the R1100 that's the right size for the 220.

As for tyre, you can go for the Michelin Sirac 120/90-17. There will be a slight drop in accleration with this, but Mileage/Smoothness/TopSpeed will increase!
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vandal, The KnN is not good for the FI on 220 because the ECU does not have a capability to change the fuel ratio according to the AIR. it is a preset system.

if you want more noise there is a simpler way that will give you a feel of a KnN. open your front seat and on the air box you will see a small rubber remove that.

Now the only problem you will face is that you will need to clean the airfilter more frequently and also your sensor for the airfilter would need to be cleaned every time you clean the air filter.

Regarding tyre i would not know why Nikhil mentioned that there are not many options. but if you look at the market there are abundance of tyres rite from MRF to just any thing.

You can get a MRF OEM tyre the same that comes in the showroom bike for around 2100 in delhi, go for a Ceat it will cost you 1800, so you are looking at money between 1800 to 3000 for a tyre and this is for a tubeless. 120 section. you have any problems finding the tyres i will send you one from delhi .

Take care
-----------------

And all that Rachit mentioned is correct but it would not work on the 220 Fi but yes it will work on the 220 Carb
Old 9th February 2011, 00:06   #9
BHPian

Yeah!! Even I had some apprehensions about the FI.
So does this mean that for the current Indian Bikes available with FI it is of not much use to put K&N?
Old 9th February 2011, 07:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

i am not sure about that Rachit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks