Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Motorbike Security Systems - Alarms, Disc Locks, etc.

Note from Support - Previous posts have been moved and/or deleted as appropriate. Please use this thread to discuss about Security systems for motorbikes such as alarm units and locks, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2012 at 17:24.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Guys im getting the Xena disc lock system from someone. My question is where can I get spare battery for the system? Like is it readily available in Bangalore or anywhere in India?
Anything i should be worried about the disc lock? Any niggling issues or is it a good product?

Also how long does the battery last?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2012 at 17:25. Reason: Post moved from Riding Gears to dedicated thread.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:13   #3
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
This may not be pertaining to riding gears as such. Guys im getting the Xena disc lock system from someone. My question is where can I get spare battery for the system? Like is it readily available in Bangalore or anywhere in India?
Partha, this shows 3 models of the Xena and 2 types of batteries: CR2 and LR44. The CR2 is the type that is used in cordless phones and cameras, so it should be easily available in electronics and camera shops. LR44 is the regular 1.5V button cell used in digital calculators etc, again easily available. So which of the two would yours be?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 12th December 2012, 14:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Partha, this shows 3 models of the Xena and 2 types of batteries: CR2 and LR44. l
Hey there once again Rahul. The XX6 is what Ive ordered. It says CR2 Battery is required. So I guess finding a replacement wont be any problem.

I saw the video showing how to replace batteries and I thought the shape was pretty strange. So that got me worried.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the manual for xx6.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This may not be pertaining to riding gears as such. Guys im getting the Xena disc lock system from someone. My question is where can I get spare battery for the system? Like is it readily available in Bangalore or anywhere in India?
Anything i should be worried about the disc lock? Any niggling issues or is it a good product?

Also how long does the battery last?

Thanks in advance.
Partha - There is no standard life for the battery. depending on how is used/abused. My Xena is quite a few months old and the battery is still good though it has not been used/abused that bad. and you sure will get anything/everything in Bangalore. For everything else there is ebay!

just to add - There are no niggling issues. It is not an engineering marvel or rocket science used to make it. So go for it - question is how often would you use it? (I used it regularly initially when the bike was new/new, but on the flip side, i don't park my bike in public parking areas.)

Last edited by Shubz : 12th December 2012 at 14:52.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 15:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

just to add - There are no niggling issues. It is not an engineering marvel or rocket science used to make it. So go for it - question is how often would you use it? (I used it regularly initially when the bike was new/new, but on the flip side, i don't park my bike in public parking areas.)
Now I know whom to call up about any issues
Id say im gonna use it pretty often. Especially whenever I go out for bank work and small stuff. Also when on rides in case we've to walk some distance after parking the bikes. Plus most importantly in my apartment parking.

How about a demo Shubz? lease:
Old 12th December 2012, 17:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys im getting the Xena disc lock system from someone. My question is where can I get spare battery for the system? Like is it readily available in Bangalore or anywhere in India?
I have the XX6 and it uses the CR2 battery. Costs around 300 bucks and easily available in local watch repair shops.

As per the manual the battery lasts for 8 months and life depends on how many times the alarm triggers, weather conditions, etc. My battery lasted over 1.5 yrs.

See my reply below regarding issues with the xena.

Quote:
just to add - There are no niggling issues.
I beg to differ sir. My Xena alarm used to go off on its own even without any disturbance after a year and half or so. Thought the battery was dying so got a new one. The old battery was checked to see what the charge was and it showed 2.9V on the voltmeter (battery rating is 3V). I was confused how .1V drop could trigger the need for a new battery so anyways bought a new one but this did not solve the problem. The alarm still went off on its own accord. I think the alarm unit is giving problems so now i use the unit without the battery. You can still use the lock without the alarm though

Vibhor, another ninja owner and a close pal of mine also has the same problems with his xena unit. Rahul aka bluevolt also reported such issues long back. So looks like these units are not trouble free although i still prefer to use the xena as they do not involve any electrical modifications and are easy to use and carry around under the pillion seat.

Edit - i have cleaned the unit thoroughly multiple times, yet the alarm goes off on its own, so definitely an issue with the alarm sensor. Multiple emails to the company regarding this issue have yielded no results.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2012 at 17:15.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Does it go off even when it is not on the disc but the pin pushed in and stowed away?
Old 12th December 2012, 17:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorbike Security Systems - Alarms, Disc Locks, etc.

Quote:
Does it go off even when it is not on the disc but the pin pushed in and stowed away?
It did a couple of times so i cleaned the entire unit and carefully installed the plastic alarm case inside the lock till it clicked into the locking grooves. It still goes off on its own when its on the disc but not otherwise.

Another observation - When the original xena battery was installed for the first time (when the package was opened) the alarm unit gave out a beep (like the arming beep). But when i installed the new battery (which was a sealed piece - Sony brand IIRC) it only emitted a faint chirp and not the beep like mentioned earlier. The new battery mfg date is not more than a year so it can't be dead or low on voltage, but will check and confirm.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th December 2012 at 17:29.
Old 12th December 2012, 17:44   #10
BHPian

Now Ive to put my plans on hold. Seems like issues affecting many users. For just the disc lock without alarm, i think I can get it in some shop easily. Doesnt justify the 5000rs price tag :( Do keep this thread updated with the various issues.

Thanks Aditya and Shubz
Old 12th December 2012, 19:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

It did a couple of times so i cleaned the entire unit and carefully installed the plastic alarm case inside the lock till it clicked into the locking grooves. It still goes off on its own when its on.
What is the Country of Manufacture for both your Xenas?

Also, Aditya it looks like your xena may have faced harsh weather?
Old 12th December 2012, 20:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the XX6 and it uses the CR2 battery. Costs around 300 bucks and easily available in local watch repair shops
Shoots!!! I bought one 3 months ago for Rs 149

Quote:
As per the manual...1.5 yrs
Here's a practical test...
I'd once placed Xena underneath the rear seat with tail bag mounted; since I hadn't cleaned for quite sometime, the alarm started going off for every 15 seconds; the battery died when I reached Salem for refueling which is around 7:00 AM; when I started from Chennai it was around 3:00 AM!!!

Despite all these, I own 2 of them & can vouch for it, it scares the hell out of people & it's certainly fun watching it
Old 12th December 2012, 20:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Despite all these, I own 2 of them & can vouch for it, it scares the hell out of people & it's certainly fun watching it
Aargee in case you have the original packaging can you check the country of manufacture? Or else where did you get it from?
Old 12th December 2012, 21:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aargee in case you have the original packaging can you check the country of manufacture? Or else where did you get it from?
Both of them I got it from Us of A. No, I don't have the box packing with me. Most probably it should be Made in China
aargee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 17:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Came across this & sharing...

Manufacturer - http://www.supersafeworld.com/

aargee is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed