Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:54   #1
BHPian

Custom choppers are they street legal?

Hi Guys,
Just booked a RE 500..expected wait time 4-5 months!!...and I am planning to get it custom built to a cusp of a chopper and a street racer. I would like some advise... if these are street legal. Will an altered chassis to accommodate a belt drive and rake variation make the bike illegal?
Don't want to spend a lot of money and then have the bike impounded.
safe rides,
FZ
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Custom choppers are they street legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
Hi Guys,
Just booked a RE 500..expected wait time 4-5 months!!...and I am planning to get it custom built to a cusp of a chopper and a street racer. I would like some advise... if these are street legal. Will an altered chassis to accommodate a belt drive and rake variation make the bike illegal?
Don't want to spend a lot of money and then have the bike impounded.
safe rides,
FZ
You just need to get the RTO in loop.Thats all.
And consider Vardenchi for your chopper requirements.
::: vardenchi :::
They have a amazing line up of enfield modified chopper designs.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:24   #3
BHPian

Totally illegal. Mostly anything you do to a stock car/bike needs to be approved by the RTO otherwise its illegal. Nobody really cares is another matter.
Changing the chassis structure, engine swap even a FFE and removing the Cat Con is illegal. The RTO gives its approval to a car after a series of checkpoints and tests and as soon as the stock vehicle is modified, the list goes out for a toss.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:55   #4
BHPian

Illegal is what I believe it is. What you can try to do is to try and minimize the number of infractions. Get a copy of the MVA where the list of offences are mentioned and try to stick to as many as you practically can. e.g. Number Plate sizes & location, Noise levels etc.
Just my two cents.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well yes, anything done to the car, has to be endorsed in the RC of the car. But, if your mods are simple, not any major mods, as i mentioned earlier, you bike is not at risk of being seized

Just dont go overboard with the rake or reach adjustment if any
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:09   #6
BHPian

It is illegal if there is modification in the chassis. Minor modifications in the body panels is not an issue. Change in the paint has to be notified to the RTO. Engine can be swaped, but only if the RTO approves.
Anyways, no one cares about this. So many vehicles have been moded and are completely illegal. But I have never heard of such vehicles being impounded unless they are involved in serious accidents.
Keep in mind that the warranty of your brand new bike would be void if you modify it.
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:35   #7
BHPian

It is indeed illegal. Considering the lax legal system no RTO official will bother. It will only be a problem if you get into trouble examples like involved in an accident, running a red light etc. RTO official might have a look at your RC and ask questions about the mods carried out if you have not registered them.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:50   #8
BANNED

Any modification is illegal. However RTO only enforces the items that are mentioned in the RC. Make sure you don't change any of those.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
You just need to get the RTO in loop.Thats all.
And consider Vardenchi for your chopper requirements.
::: vardenchi :::
They have a amazing line up of enfield modified chopper designs.
How does he manage the RTO issue?
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:00   #10
BANNED

Apart from things mentioned in Rc, change to following makes vehicle not roadworthy in india.
Rake angle,
Total length,
Wheel base,
weight of vehicle(10% permitted).

Cmvr says no mods are allowed apart from centre,state and rto approved kits (such as lpg conversion kits etc)
Rto has full authority to seize the vehicle if any structural mods are found on vehicle.
Verdenchy or any one else,none of the choppers which exceed original vehicle length,or extended rake,
Or has custom frame are street legal unless the are sent for homologation to govt authorised agency such as ARAI,VRDE.
Homologation takes about 3-5 months and bag ful of cash.
Presently there is no easy way to legalise choppers in india.
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Simple thing would be to not go and do any significant material change. Bikes get caught more often, atleast as far as i have seen. So try to avoid major change.

Keep it simple and neat. Dont alter the frame at all. You never know when the traffic authority would see all these modded rides as an opportunity to earn big bucks and start a major nation wide crackdown.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:26   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Couple more considerations that may tilt the decision (either way):

- Your safety! How will frame modifications and other major customisations affect the on-road behaviour of your bike?

- The cops aren't as strict today. However, they were lax even on custom duty payments, and everyone / their dogs found unique ways to import superbikes & save $$$. We all know how that ended up.

- If you get into an accident, be sure that the insurance company will wash its hands off your bike.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:18   #13
BHPian

Thanks for your advice guys and as pointed out by GTO ,insurance was another matter on my mind...apart from the fact that my warranty is void as soon as I do any mods the insurance will also be an issue.

Had been to Verdenchi for the mods inquiry and I was told that the RTO is not an issue??? Will have to look into this further and find a way out?? ..don't know how..but am really inclined to have a 200 rear tyre on the 500 classic which basically requires chassis and drive chain to belt drive conversion.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

With respect to insurance, please note that they will pounce on you the second they know you have a mod.

Go in for these kind of mods unless you are not bother about a void warranty, insurance and the risk of a possible seizaure some day

Even if you get inot an accident, owing to someone elses fault, the insurance company, looking at the vehicle will try to say you were racing. It has happended several times and we have seen several posts on this forum also where members have put these issues down
Old 25th January 2011, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Yes I agree with you completely as regards insurance and today spoke to Akshay/ Adil at Verdenchi and was told that if one gets caught we need to 'manage' the RTO. They told me that the insurance will be void as soon as I get any mods done on the bike and best way would be to get a third party insurance on the bike after the mods. Big question remains what if the bike gets impounded..in today's time with the frequent checks we have cops stopping bikes all the time...may be I should stick to just few mods, not change anything drastically....but if you look at the custom bikes ..it is very inviting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks