Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 09:01   #16
BHPian

re: Full face-helmets not mandatory in US

Wearing a helmet is not the only thing , but buckling it up tightly to your chin is utmost important.

A couple of months ago right before my eyes I saw this. Outer Ring Rd Bangalore, Signal turns from green to red. Everyone were traveling pretty fast and a 2 wheeler brakes hard and stops for the Signal. However a SUMO behind him does not brake on time and rams into the 2 wheeler at the rear. The guy is wearing a half helmet, however with no strap on. He is thrown off his bike and the helmet flies off his head before he can hit the ground. He hits his head real hard on the road, and is taken to a hospital. Not sure if he made it or not.

Just a note to everyone, make sure your helmet is buckled up tight.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

An open face helmet is allowed here too. The law does not specify full face helmets.

A query; If a fellow rides without helmet in the US and meets with an accident, will he get his insurance claim?
Old 31st January 2011, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
An open face helmet is allowed here too. The law does not specify full face helmets.

A query; If a fellow rides without helmet in the US and meets with an accident, will he get his insurance claim?
It depends on the state laws. If the state specifies wearing a helmet as a law and if the rider was not wearing one at the time of the accident, then the insurance company considers that as a violation of traffic safety rules and can refuse the claim. However, if the accident takes place in a state that does not have a rule to wear a helmet, then the insurance claim does not consider that as a traffic safety violation.

Pretty dumb I must say! I feel that all insurance companies must insist on wearing helmets as a rule, instead of using state traffic laws as a pillar to lean on.

Prajwal
Old 31st January 2011, 12:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
It depends on the state laws. If the state specifies wearing a helmet as a law and if the rider was not wearing one at the time of the accident, then the insurance company considers that as a violation of traffic safety rules and can refuse the claim. However, if the accident takes place in a state that does not have a rule to wear a helmet, then the insurance claim does not consider that as a traffic safety violation.

Pretty dumb I must say! I feel that all insurance companies must insist on wearing helmets as a rule, instead of using state traffic laws as a pillar to lean on.

Prajwal
"Can" is the operative word here. Does it actually happen? AFAIK it never happens in India. If our insurance companies treat non-wearing of helmet as "not taking due precautions while riding", therefore "indulging in dangerous activity" and refuse to honour the claims, then everyone will automatically fall in line and wear helmets. There will be no need for legislation.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys, remember, lack of helmets doesn't cause an accident. it can cause death though.

Insurance is against an accident. If it's not fatal, I don't see a reason why insurance should deny the claim. If it's fatal, they may resrict the claim to non fatal levels attributing death to negligence (not sure how insurance handles these cases though).
Old 1st February 2011, 22:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^ I am referring about life insurance claims for fatal accidents where the rider was not wearing a helmet, naturally.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Sir, I recall reading somewhere that according to the vehicle laws in India, wearing a full face helmet is mandatory.
The open face helmet can get one caught with the police person, on a day that his pockets are empty.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Sir, I recall reading somewhere that according to the vehicle laws in India, wearing a full face helmet is mandatory.
The open face helmet can get one caught with the police person, on a day that his pockets are empty.
No. Both full face and open face helmets are permitted, so long as they are ISI certified.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

All the police personal riding motorcycles in Karnataka wear half helmet.
These white color metal ones look of extremely poor quality though.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:51   #25
BHPian

@thad - regarding your post. It is not stupid to find four people on a bike. Their circumstances may require them to do that.

In my opnion its each person's right to figure out the degree of importance he has to give to safety - this is especially true in india where most people have to make a compromise between safety and practicality/need. It just may not be financially feasable- and that doesn't mean that one should stop going on bike.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:03   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
@thad - regarding your post. It is not stupid to find four people on a bike. Their circumstances may require them to do that.

In my opnion its each person's right to figure out the degree of importance he has to give to safety - this is especially true in india where most people have to make a compromise between safety and practicality/need. It just may not be financially feasable- and that doesn't mean that one should stop going on bike.
It's not just stupid, but criminal. Parents who balance 2 kids, one behind & one ahead should be put in jail.

Every time I see this, I wonder what would happen if the kid lands on his head in case the bike slips or is knocked over or whatever.

Also, people who let have their kids stick their head out of sunroof/moonroof in cars should also be jailed.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
It's not just stupid, but criminal. Parents who balance 2 kids, one behind & one ahead should be put in jail.

Every time I see this, I wonder what would happen if the kid lands on his head in case the bike slips or is knocked over or whatever.

Also, people who let have their kids stick their head out of sunroof/moonroof in cars should also be jailed.
dude i am on you with this one, jail and a reasonably good penalty should be imposed. its not just children they carry babies around this way and to top it off, they take it for granted the others on the road will be more cautious and they ride with their eyes and wits some where else.

well yes i happen to see a terrible accident of a baby being run over by a bus on the highway on my way to kurnool few years back since then i am totally get nervous when i see a small child or a baby triple riding on a 2 wheeler.

after that incident i couldnt eat for days and had trauma, what was left over was just a paste on the road and the parents cursing and crying over the loss.

that was really tragic for them and traumatic for me. if only such images are advertised people would stop doing such careless things and be more responsible.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Full face-helmets not mandatory in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
All the police personal riding motorcycles in Karnataka wear half helmet.
These white color metal ones look of extremely poor quality though.
Half helmets are different from open face helmets and are not permited. Why, some people even ride around with helmets worn at factories/construction sites.

By law the helmet should be

a) ISI certified
b) Should cover the temples,crown as well as lower portion of the head.

Protection of the jaw, visor or other eye protection is not mandatory as yet, and left to the rider's choice.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th March 2011 at 22:14.
Old 8th March 2011, 23:21   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Full face-helmets not mandatory in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post

What if one of those family members falls in front of your car? What if that ruins your life? It is not just their safety in their hands, it is everybody else's too.

There are many people in the world who struggle with poverty. How many cultures consider it an excuse for this?

All, rich and poor, have to educated and, sometimes, have the law used, to prevent such behaviour. It happened with other countries with alcohol, seatbelts, bike helmets. There is minimal effort to make it happen here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I saw a child sitting on the driver's lap only yesterday. Another one for a long prison sentence!

The list of such offences would be a long one, and the jails would be very, very full...

Most Viewed