Team-BHP - Full face-helmets not mandatory in US
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Full face-helmets not mandatory in US (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/95885-full-face-helmets-not-mandatory-us.html)

As we all know the US regulations are so paranoid about the safety and other facts.
But noticed that the helmets with Jaw covering are not mandated in US for motorcycles.

Its funny something as simple as that is mandated in countries like India but not followed in US, atleast we are ahead in something with respect to compliance in safety standards compared to US.

Whats your opinion?

Can you put a link citing/stating the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2225717)
atleast we are ahead in something with respect to compliance in safety standards compared to US.

Whats your opinion?

Only in the laws, right ? What % of bikers wear helmets although it is mandatory and it should be an ISI marked one too, not the platform ones. There are so many of these bikers with their helmets precariously dangling on the bikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2225717)
As we all know the US regulations are so paranoid about the safety and other facts.
But noticed that the helmets with Jaw covering are not mandated in US for motorcycles.

Its funny something as simple as that is mandated in countries like India but not followed in US, atleast we are ahead in something with respect to compliance in safety standards compared to US.

Whats your opinion?

Making a law doesn't serve the purpose. I don't think there is a law in India too prohibiting the use of half helmets. A rider should know the perils of not wearing a one, but in India most of them care a damn about the rules. At least in Mumbai, 60% of the riders don't wear a helmet. Out of the rest 40%, 90 of them wear a helmet just for the sake of it, skipping the buckle. And even in US, even if they wear a half-helmet, they wear the buckle. Anyways, one should always wear a full face helmet, the half ones are just a hogwash.

I am not even required to wear a helmet by law in Cincinnati. What's the point in discussing laws?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2225796)
I am not even required to wear a helmet by law in Cincinnati. What's the point in discussing laws?

I 2nd you.
No law in TX as well.
The only difference falling down wearing a helmet and not wearing one is, when you fall is it gonna be an open casket or a closed one!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrini78 (Post 2225805)
No law in TX as well.
The only difference falling down wearing a helmet and not wearing one is, when you fall is it gonna be an open casket or a closed one!!!

I totally agree with the Texas law. Why should there be a law to protect your own life by yourself ?

Quoting from a well known monologue.

Quote:

There are many things, that you can point to, that humans, are not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be, that we had to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, is that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads.
We chose not to avoid these activities but instead come up with some sort of device to help us to continue to enjoy, our headcracking lifestyle.
The helmet.
Even that didn't work, because enough people weren't wearing them, so we had to come up with the helmet law, which is even stupider because the idea behind the helmet law is to preserve a brain, who's judgement is so poor, that it doesn't even try to prevent the cracking of the head it's in!

@vivekiny2k & @shrini78
Now thats exactly what I am talking about, forget about how much the compliance in India is about the rules that are in place.

How come US is not bothered to pass a rule mandating wearing a full face helmet & or in some cases a helmet itself.

I mean the chances of one person getting injured is more from an accident thro bikes than cars. Moreover, I have heard many parents restricting kids from riding motocycles.

Its such a contradictions that one hand it makes Airbags, seatbelts, baby seats and ABS mandatory and on other hand they just let go of the bikers to live the life they want.

I guess its mainly because the constitution, just isnt bothered about the class (or rather the cult class) of people who drive motorcycle in US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 2225840)
I totally agree with the Texas law. Why should there be a law to protect your own life by yourself ?

Hello the reason is the same that applies in India, remember the term called safety...
If its not required in US, then are you saying there is no point in mandating it in India

Because, in US bikes are not primary means of intra-city commute. Its more of a "enthusiast" thing.

That makes it a lower priority items for lawmakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2225889)
I guess its mainly because the constitution, just isnt bothered about the class (or rather the cult class) of people who drive motorcycle in US.

Not really true. I have very rarely seen people in the US driving a motorcycle because they can't afford a car.

People in the US drive a mobike for 2 reasons
- Enthusiast
or
- Commute problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 2225889)
How come US is not bothered to pass a rule mandating wearing a full face helmet & or in some cases a helmet itself.

Harley guys like to wear open face helmets since it suits the style of the bike. They are a pretty strong lobby group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrini78 (Post 2225805)
I 2nd you.
No law in TX as well.

Helmets save lives.
Its a question of surviving an accident or dying.

Not all motorcycle crashes result in fatality.
Not all fatal crashes are due to broken skulls.

There is no more stupid sight than seeing one guy, wearing a helmet, driving a bike, whilst he is carrying his wife and two children, none of whom have any head protection at all.

Close second in stupidity, of course, is seeing four people (including children) on a bike at all.

In mumbai the rear view mirrors are often covered with a helmet whereas the riders head is not, therefore we can effectvely conclude that the mirror is more important than the rider's head..
AFAIK. Half helmets are allowed in mumbai.
I have never seen any rider being pulled over by a cop for wearing a half helmet.
I have also seen people wearing the bright yellow helmets used by workers at a construction site which is quite lame.