Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 00:06   #1
BHPian

Confused - what bike to buy?

Hi everyone....this is Amit....planning to buy a new bike...kindly suggest a bike as per my requirements..

My first bike was a 2003 pulsar 150, which i sold in 2006 and brought myself a Pulsar 180. Now that i have sold this pulsar too i am very much confused what to buy next....

my requirements are:

1. Good performance, looks, ride and handling
2. My monthly running is about 2000 kms, hence decent efficiency.
3. hassle free ownership
6. Am 6 feet tall (if that matters)

Actually i had shortlisted some bikes: Pulsar 220S (love it in black), yamaha FZ16 (red) and Bullet electra (silver).

Since my previous two bikes were pulsars i am not very keen to buy another....but on paper it actually best suits all my requirements...also i am scared that bajaj might come up with a new pulsar model on coming days which will have me very disappointed.

Fz16 is nice....but very very common here on Goan roads....mileage is also a bit of a concern...

Still thinking about the bullet....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th January 2011 at 00:51. Reason: please read the note in your post, thanks
a_myth is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th January 2011, 05:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Confused...what bike to buy????

Your shortlisted bikes are different from each other against the requirement you have put up. Since you don't want FZ16 since it is too common, we can do away with that. How much "decent efficiency" is efficient in your term? I ask this because, the bikes which you have chosen gives a max. of 45kmpl if you are lucky. Else, be happy with sticking to 30-35kmpl on a Pulsar. Can't comment on the Bullet. Have you thought about the new CB250R? It's got decent reviews and probably should cover requirements easily.
Old 30th January 2011, 07:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Actually i had shortlisted some bikes: Pulsar 220S (love it in black), yamaha FZ16 (red) and Bullet electra (silver).
Hi Amit, all the bikes that you have shortlisted are completely different from each other. But from your requirements and your previous bikes, I would say leave out the Pulsar 220. Though its still the best VFM out there and gets you superb performance, you have already owned a couple of them before and you won't get the feeling of a completely new bike if you get it again now.

Between the other two bikes, since you say FZ16 is very common, go for the Fazer which looks a lot different than the FZ from the front. It would satisfy all your requirements and keep you happy.

IMO, Bullet Electra should not be cross-shopped with these two bikes.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

With the kind of kms you would be doing, I would suggest either a CB-Dazzler or if budget ain't a problem along with riding posture/bad-roads and pillion, the YZF-R15. Have seen ~50kmpl with the tacho around 5k in 6th gear.

Edit: Bajaj might (very soon, rumored around April '11) come up with a 4 valve head for their rest of the Pulsar line-up. a la P-135 LS.

Last edited by Sheel : 30th January 2011 at 09:44.
Old 30th January 2011, 12:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi amit, all the bikes you shortlisted are from different segments. So it will be difficult to compare them.

What is your budget? If it is around 1 lakh then consider Karizma ZMR. It is all-round performer for both touring and city riding. Mileage-wise the bike will give you anything between 40-45 KMPL.

Best of luck
Old 30th January 2011, 12:26   #6
BHPian

Thank u everyone for your valuable suggestions.

I will use the bike mostly for my daily travelling to my work place and back. So i am expecting an efficiency of @40-45 kmpl.

Regarding the Yamaha R15, i feel it feels a bit small and a bit uncomfortable for a tall person like me.

Somehow i dont like the looks of the Fazer (my cousin owns one). Any one with the probable dates of the launch of Fazer 250????

Some of my friends have also suggested the Honda CBR 250. But with less efficiency (25-30 kmpl i think) i guess my Punto D will be more easy on my pocket.

I almost booked the pulsar 220s, but as Sheel suggested, i am worried that Bajaj might make some cosmetic as well as engine mods coz the current generation of Pulsars have been around for a while now.
Old 30th January 2011, 13:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Amit I am sure you are really confused which I see from your choices. Well dont ever compare a RE with these cycles. Go for a Yamaha if u want a Bike or if u want to ride a real bike go for the RE.
Old 30th January 2011, 13:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Exclusivity doesn't arrise if you are buying any of the mentioned. However it's your comfort that's important rather than what others think of you. It's not about the ride but the rider. Go try and see what's most comfortable. Else plonk in some mulaah in CBR250 and enjoy the sunshine.
Old 30th January 2011, 20:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Some of my friends have also suggested the Honda CBR 250. But with less efficiency (25-30 kmpl i think) i guess my Punto D will be more easy on my pocket.
Where did you get that figure? As far as I recall, Honda is claiming 50 kmpl for the CBR 250R.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:14   #10
BHPian

Hey Amit,

I am happy to see Bullet electra (silver) in your list. This will be a good choice for you also the fuel efficiency is good with new engine. You can look for Thunder Bird as well.

This is my opinion being happy RE 350 owner, I have good experience with Hero Honda and Yamaha as well but RE is different.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 30th January 2011, 22:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Where did you get that figure? As far as I recall, Honda is claiming 50 kmpl for the CBR 250R.
I have a classic foot in mouth disease - However, I can boldly say that this would not be the FE of CBR 250 - Expect 25-30 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Exclusivity doesn't arrise if you are buying any of the mentioned. However it's your comfort that's important rather than what others think of you. It's not about the ride but the rider. Go try and see what's most comfortable. Else plonk in some mulaah in CBR250 and enjoy the sunshine.
Well said! +100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Amit I am sure you are really confused which I see from your choices. Well dont ever compare a RE with these cycles. Go for a Yamaha if u want a Bike or if u want to ride a real bike go for the RE.
People tend not to be objective while discussing RE - I don't want to tickle the sentiment further.

Amit: Good you ruled out R15 - Kinda tough for 5'10''+ people - FZ16 will suit your height, but the bike would be out of breath after 90 kmph - Rule out Apache for the height reason. Fazer is overpriced. Wait for FZ250 if you want to buy it on your grandson's first birthday.

Go for the MAX disp you can afford - 220S/F or ZMA-R (not the PGM-Fi). Don't touch bullet by a barge pole unless you are a RE fan boy and have some time to play with the bike's internals in regular intervals, have FE fanboys for support around your area and enjoy pushing your bike in signals (hope you are quite strong for that!) - I learnt about idle jet and a lot more stuff because of the bullet - (That's another incentive for buying the bullet) - CB250R would be ideal if you can get your FE out of your mind (would suit your height)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 30th January 2011 at 22:44.
Old 30th January 2011, 22:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

With a restrained right wrist a CBR-250R should give you better FE than all RE's and might better the P-220 even.

(But then I am assuming as it hasn't been launched and as the bike is loaded, the FE should be in the affordable ball-park)
Old 31st January 2011, 00:53   #13
BHPian

hhhmm, guys, bookings have started for the Honda CBR 250. Waiting for some kinda specs and bike analysis.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:06   #14
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hhhmm, guys, bookings have started for the Honda CBR 250. Waiting for some kinda specs and bike analysis.
Check this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...d-cbr250r.html

A few of them have already book. First hand ownership reviews are rare though since its been released in Thailand alone so far.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confused - what bike to buy?

You for sure have a diverse range From 70k to 1.5L and from sports bike to cruiser, you are considering everything!

But the thing is, none of these bikes will give you the mileage you are looking for (except for FZ I suppose, but you ruled it out).

If you want power, I would recommend you to wait as I am sure that both Bajaj and Yamaha camps are gearing up to launch new bikes to compete the CBR250r (from rumours upgraded pulsars + 250cc in Bajaj, upgraded R15 and 250 CC Fazer from Yamaha).

If you dont wish to wait, then do test drive the new Fazer, Karizma ZMA, 220F (for the sake of it!), Thunderbird and Electra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks