Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2013, 12:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriag

Owned the bike for 2 weeks now, drove around 300km so far.

Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120745.jpg

observations
1. Mileage received is in the range of 50kmpl, will post exact number once the bike gets into reserve.
2. The seat was very uncomfortable. Hence put a new seat cover on. I am tall and my normal sitting position is a bit towards the backside than the dip in the seat for the driver. SO I had only one option, but to fill the dip with form and put a seat cover on top. Its much more comfortable now and the additional 1 inch in seat height also helps. See picture below. Not sure how much impact it has on the aesthetics, but that comes second. Cost Rs 400/-

Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120644.jpg
Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120657.jpg
Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120721.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130616_120721.jpg
Views:	17277
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	1097841

3. Replaced the stock halonix bulb with a Philips premium bulb. Wasnt able to check y'day night because of rain, will check and update later. Cost Rs 90/-. Purchased from AK traders , JC Road.
4. I observed an oil leak below the engine, beside gear change lever. Please see below. DOes this sound serious? Planning to take it to service center this week.

Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120756.jpg
Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage-img_20130616_120819.jpg

5. Previous owner has replaced the mirrors using Apache mirrors; I think that increased the visibility and looks.
6. Brakes make screeching sound, guess that needs checkup too.

7. There are ECO and POWER modes in this bike. The visual indication is a LED lighting up based on certain RPM settings. Does anyone know if the modes make some changes in the way engine responds/burns fuel other than the just the display? (like the old TVS Victor which lights up a bulb the moment you turn the throttle above a limit)

Last edited by arjithin : 16th June 2013 at 12:37. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th June 2013, 15:11   #47
BHPian

Re: Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriag

Quote:
4. I observed an oil leak below the engine, beside gear change lever. Please see below. DOes this sound serious? Planning to take it to service center this week.

No, I don't think so. Everytime my GS comes from service, oil drips from the sprocket cover and chain case - due to copious chain lubrication done by the workshop. Does oil drip on the floor when parked overnight ?

Fantastic decision on buying a used GS150R. Treat her well and you can just keep logging miles and miles. And yes, Suzuki has one of most impractical, irritating service schedules (they should learn something from Hero here).

Yours is the first batch of GS? Its quieter than the recent ones and even has a rubber boots for the front suspension.

As per manual, ECO and PWR modes simply alter the behavior of the LED light asking you to shift up. But as per some people in the GS150R facebook page, these modes also alter the ignition timing (via ECU?). And GOD setting turns the LED off but retains the previously selected mode.

Last edited by ashwanth : 16th June 2013 at 15:13.
ashwanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 17:22   #48
BHPian

That is oil dripping from the Chain. Congrats on buying GS 150. A reliable bike but marketed badly by Suzuki. Mine has covered 90,000 KMS. Getting 45 KMS. After the warranty 30,000 KMS, you can give servicing every 4,000 KMS. Below 4,000 RPM ( if i am correct ) it shows ECO Mode and above 4,000 RPM it shows power mode just an indication which mode you are. ECO and Power Mode has nothing to do the alter the ignition timing via ECU.

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 16th June 2013 at 17:24.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 19:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post
. Does oil drip on the floor when parked overnight ?

Yours is the first batch of GS? Its quieter than the recent ones and even has a rubber boots for the front suspension.
Hey, thanks. No oil drips on the floor. Just seen around the gear shift lever.
I am not aware of the batch of this one, its a June 2011 made unit I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
That is oil dripping from the Chain. Congrats on buying GS 150. A reliable bike but marketed badly by Suzuki. Mine has covered 90,000 KMS. Getting 45 KMS. After the warranty 30,000 KMS, you can give servicing every 4,000 KMS.
Thanks Sarvodaya. There may not be many GS150Rs out there with 90000 km on the odo. Can you please share major repair work done so far with rough time/odo indications? That would be very helpful.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Owned the bike for 2 weeks now, drove around 300km so far.

observations
1. Mileage received is in the range of 50kmpl, will post exact number once the bike gets into reserve.
2. The seat was very uncomfortable. Hence put a new seat cover on. I am tall and my normal sitting position is a bit towards the backside than the dip in the seat for the driver. SO I had only one option, but to fill the dip with form and put a seat cover on top. Its much more comfortable now and the additional 1 inch in seat height also helps. See picture below. Not sure how much impact it has on the aesthetics, but that comes second. Cost Rs 400/-
3. Replaced the stock halonix bulb with a Philips premium bulb. Wasnt able to check y'day night because of rain, will check and update later. Cost Rs 90/-. Purchased from AK traders , JC Road.
Congrats!

My GS150R has clocked about 49000 kms in the past 4+ years. Mine is a first batch motorcycle (bought way back in Feb 2009). Engine is very smooth and ride is well balanced. This is one of the most reliable bikes in the market. I can vouch for that. And, by the way, I get 50-55 kmpl in city limits.
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Hey, thanks. No oil drips on the floor. Just seen around the gear shift lever.
I am not aware of the batch of this one, its a June 2011 made unit I suppose.

Thanks Sarvodaya. There may not be many GS150Rs out there with 90000 km on the odo. Can you please share major repair work done so far with rough time/odo indications? That would be very helpful.
Nothing Major (Touchwood). First 30,000 KmS I gave it servicing every 2,000 Kms. Usual consumables like Engine Oil, Air Filter, Spark Plug, Brake Pads were changed. Chain Sprocket lasts 20,000 KMS. Front Brake pads lasts 20,000 KMS. The rear brake pad has been replaced thrice so far. I replaced Clutch Wire thrice. Rear Tyre changed @ 50,000 Kms while front changed @ 55,000 KMS. Front Fork Oil @ 25,000 KMS. I had changed Front Brake Fluid only once so far. Accidental Parts are Front Mud Guard (Rs.2,500) and Front Cowl
(Rs.600).
After 30,000 KmS, the bike is serviced @ 4,000 KMS. Dr. Rajkumar Suzuki Service has been good. I had opted for AMC. AMC costs Rs.1,000 valid for 1 year. You get four service coupons. You get 5 to 10 Discount on spares. Vehicle servicing @ Rs.100 (Normal Rs.400). Average Bill comes to Rs.700 per service excluding spares.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 08:04   #52
BHPian

Re: Riding the Way of Life - Suzuki GS150R A proposal, The Engagement and the Marriage

I have the latest model gs with me bought in June 2014.
I have now run close to 36k kms . I serviced my bike every 4k once I crossed 20k kms mark.

Back tyre am planning to change:

Which one shall I buy ?

Also, my SE told me that piston and cylinder is weak. Since yesterday I am heaeing a small bell ringing sound at times.
Is it normal for piston and cylinder to give up so soon ?
Wat are the precautions I should take before
Replacing the piston and cylinder ? Can I ride another 2k kms and change it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks