Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 21:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Oh dear! Thats 200% increase. By shop keeper you mean a non RE parts dealer? I wont be needing it soon but if thats the case then I might as well stock it if they still have it at older price which I seriously doubt it they will give me at old price.
Yes, I meant the parts dealer. I'm referring to Govindaraj Auto parts in Pudupet area in Chennai. Check with your local shop and also the RE dealer, if anyone got old stock they might have not received the latest stock hence unaware of the latest pricing too.. :-)
Old 28th February 2011, 21:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

May be he is just milking on the fact that not many people are aware of how cheap the bore kit for C5 is and very hard to get the kit too. But I am not going to take any chances and I'll check the stock tomorrow. UCE parts are strictly for RE workshops only and not available at any other parts shop in my town at least.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:27   #48
BHPian

Really sorry to hear your story TRAMWAY. Hope your beast run well with the all the work done.

@Randhawa, 3K for a piston cylinder kit!! I may be dumb, but I still ask, Is there any way that I can put in a C5 cylinder kit for a CI500? Is it too different?

pardon my ignorance, I have very little knowledge on C5/UCE engine designs.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to shatter your idea as I just confirmed the price of the kit. It is indeed 8k now but cheaper in Chennai at 6k. RE revised the price of the kit from 3k to 8k now. They are really making money on parts. Yes you can fit the c5 barrel but you would need the C5 head too. In total it will cost you around 20k now.

I wish I had purchased a kit earlier to just stock it.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:16   #50
BHPian

@trammway, its heart wrenching just to read your story.
I offered coconuts to Ganapathi temple in my hometown in return for your bike's goodwill. Worked for me earlier for my RX135. Hope you sort your problems soon. All the best.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I just confirmed the price of the kit. It is indeed 8k now but cheaper in Chennai at 6k. RE revised the price of the kit from 3k to 8k now. They are really making money on parts.
I wish I had purchased a kit earlier to just stock it.
Hmm looks like the shop keeper in chennai gave me the right information. Hence keeping CI or C5, the parts are costlier either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
@trammway, its heart wrenching just to read your story.
I offered coconuts to Ganapathi temple in my hometown in return for your bike's goodwill. Worked for me earlier for my RX135. Hope you sort your problems soon. All the best.
Oh I can't have words thank you Ashok. You know what your prayers have been fulfilled the bike runs pretty smooth and much louder thump is heard. Though I'm not revving the throttle as to complete the run on for about 2000kms.

I drove the bike from Gingee to Chennai at around 160kms on 40-50kmph speed and the ride was so good. Though the first drive was tiring due to such a low speed cruising on a long distance, but I was sure not to make another loss. Just today noticed I have completed 400kms after the new cylinder kit is been installed.

I thank all the well wishers from TBHP who helped me by writing very encouraging words and recovering from the stress that I went through due to this incident. Though the bike was failed and I was running into loss, now after the rebuild I'm kind of recovered. Thanks to Powertwin for getting me this bike, only thing it would have been much more easy if the cylinder kit which was there in the bike was RE 500s. As I told there is a good in the bad, I got the original cylinder kit for lesser ;-) and now my bike is authentic RE 500 with all the original parts.

I will have the photos published tomorrow, more details are coming up.

Last edited by trammway : 1st March 2011 at 22:07.
Old 2nd March 2011, 02:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield CI 500 - Pictures

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0001.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0002.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0005.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0006.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0008.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0009.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0024.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0014.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0028.jpg

Royal Enfield - Shooting the Bullet - 500 Power-img_0011.jpg
Old 2nd March 2011, 05:34   #53
BHPian

Aha! When the going gets tough; the tough get going!! Siva congrats on the rebuild and you have a mean looking machine there!
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:57   #54
BHPian

The Bullet looks too good in its new Avatar. Congratulations.

I would personally prefer the original silencer instead of the upswept one to give this a more classical look.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Aha! When the going gets tough; the tough get going!! Siva congrats on the rebuild and you have a mean looking machine there!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_4_Fortune View Post
The Bullet looks too good in its new Avatar. Congratulations.

I would personally prefer the original silencer instead of the upswept one to give this a more classical look.
I agree with you, the original bottle or short bottle silencer will give a classic look. But this upswept one attracts me hence continuing with the current form. May be next time when I change I will go for gold start or any other old types
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I agree with you, the original bottle or short bottle silencer will give a classic look. But this upswept one attracts me hence continuing with the current form. May be next time when I change I will go for gold start or any other old types
Glad to see that your perseverance is paying off. Now be patient for another 1600 kms and you will have an engine that is nicely run in. The run in is the key to the engine's long term reliability. The short bottle will go better with the rest of the bike. Is it true that there is a CI500 short bottle that is different form the CI350 short bottle?

I have been pondering fitting the front disk brake kit on my CI500. Does it work well on your bike? The CI500 is prone to excessive dive under braking even with the old drum setup, it could use more progressive damping. RE sorted this issue out on the LB500.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Glad to see that your perseverance is paying off. Now be patient for another 1600 kms and you will have an engine that is nicely run in. The run in is the key to the engine's long term reliability. The short bottle will go better with the rest of the bike. Is it true that there is a CI500 short bottle that is different form the CI350 short bottle?

I have been pondering fitting the front disk brake kit on my CI500. Does it work well on your bike? The CI500 is prone to excessive dive under braking even with the old drum setup, it could use more progressive damping. RE sorted this issue out on the LB500.

Good to read that ur CI500 is up and running fine! How many kms had the bike covered wen you purchased it?

The disk brake is eons ahead in terms of braking when compared to the drums. i had replaced the drum setup on my 350 with a disc. i Was more confident while braking at high speeds or while applying sudden brakes in case of an emergency. How was the issue you are referring get sorted out on the LB500?
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:20   #58
BHPian

Trammway, she is an absolute beauty. You have to be patient and understanding while dealing with her.
Now, about the spare parts. Many have laughed at my expense when I started stocking up for my Bull. But I am future proof now. Got three piston kits, two cylinder heads and tappets. What more should I stock up for my 1978 Bully.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, thanks for the wonderful feedbacks. I'm sure I'm going to ride her slow for another 1500kms (have crossed 500kms after the rebuild), During last rebuild in Gingee my new rocker setup was left at home in Chennai mistakenly, hence the mechanic in Gingee did some filing work to the previously damaged rocker to make it working. Another issue with the oil pump, yes the shop keeper given me a oil pump which was very loose and my mechanic told me to replace the same. Now I have got them replaced by the shopkeeper, however the bike runs pretty good. So far no issues, I'm going to the mechanic work shop after completing 1000kms for the following:

1. Oil Service
2. Oil filter change
3. Oil pump change
4. Rocker & Arm change
5. Valve and Tappet adjustment

Along with this I'm also planning for adding few more brass stuffs on the bike, I liked the black and yellowish metal combination.

Now coming back to my original issue during Coimbatore to Gingee trip, What do you guys think the reason that would have caused excessive vibration ? As I'm running on engine settling time, I didn't try to raise the throttle to even check if the vibration is still existing. Hence trying to understand if anyone here would have got some solution so while attempting for the next service I will check those parameters.
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Does the RC book for this bike say that it is a 500cc? Don't get me wrong here but this bike sounds like a rip off. It looks like the upper half of the bore has been installed on a standard 350 lower block just to give the person an indication that the bike is a 500. There is no other way that the problems you faced can occur on this bike. I have not been riding one for long enough but its been 3 years I took ownership of a 3rd hand 1996 built 500 thats also been through a engine rebuild done by its previous owner and the bike in my hands has run over 20000km without a single hitch. In my view this bike is as reliable as any other Enfield from its time except for the stock 6volt electrical system that is useless. The problems you have experienced are strange and are not at all common to the problems this bike runs into during the course of ownership. Please take a lot of care when you purchase a bike like the 500. It is now a very rare bike to come across as nearly all of them have either wreaked their engines or have been dumped somewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks