Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 15:07   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Relax man. One rotten apple doesn't tilt the entire applecart. Let the thumpers be.
Please try and answer the question. If you dont know the answer please dont try and say something which has no relation to what i asked.

I think you didnt get my question.

Let me rephrase. Are there are any advantages of using this over the stock pipe other then being purely cosmetic.

Does anyone have a cross section of this pipe?

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th July 2009 at 15:22.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire,

For starters, the Goldie sounds very fruity/thumpy. You also get that beautiful twitter when you are coasting.

Performance, especially the top end should improve as there is lesser back pressure with low end grunt suffering a bit. My LB500 has become smoother. But, I need a rejet before I can paint a better picture about the top end performance.

I saw the pipe being built at Shakeel's workshop in Pune. The pipe has the cylindrical baffles built into the conical section. Apart from that, I couldn't find anything radically different from the stock silencer. Saurabh maybe in a better position to answer this query.

About the rant, I agree it was the pre-concieved notion as you seem to be pretty anti-RE in your posts. I mistakenly assumed that one more anti RE rant was on it's way. Sorry about that.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:31   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Performance, especially the top end should improve as there is lesser back pressure with low end grunt suffering a bit. My LB500 has become smoother. But, I need a rejet before I can paint a better picture about the top end performance.

I saw the pipe being built at Shakeel's workshop in Pune. The pipe has the cylindrical baffles built into the conical section. Apart from that, I couldn't find anything radically different from the stock silencer. Saurabh maybe in a better position to answer this query.
Thank you. This is what i was looking for.

So if its a pure cruiser it makes sense going for this pipe. But for City use it is a big no-no.

Upjetting may not be the solution to this though. You are trying to match the engine to the pipe and not vice versa.

Quote:
About the rant, I agree it was the pre-concieved notion as you seem to be pretty anti-RE in your posts. I mistakenly assumed that one more anti RE rant was on it's way. Sorry about that.
Yeah i am getting a bit tired about being labelled a RE baiter. I used to love the bike as much as my other bikes. My complain was only about the quality.

Also this Goldstar Silencer is not from RE so my anti-RE sentiment dosent hold anyways.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Team-Bhpians,

Where can I find bigger pilot jets in Pune for the BS29 carb. I am looking at 25-30 sizes. Here, finding main jets is pretty easy but people are bewidered once the talk shifts to pilots. Any pointers would be damn helpful.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 15th July 2009, 15:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire,

We don't have the luxury of too many people building application specific pipes here. Till I learn to build one myself or someone like the big man(very unlikely) in BLR starts making pipes for the bull, I have to make do with the available options. Also, I've heard that a free flow silencer would generate more heat on the exhaust valve. So, upjetting is more to keep the head cooler than going faster. If I get any faster(hopefully), it might be a function of the jets than the silencer.

Regarding the RE quality, I do agree that it is pretty bad but they surely are improving, albeit slowly.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 15th July 2009, 16:07   #51
BHPian

Goldstar Silener for Enfiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Hi Friends !!

I have come across this Goldstar Free Flow silencer for Royal Enfield bikes on various forums but have never seen them in reality !!
Do any of you guys have it fiited on your bikes ? Can any one tell me where I get get the original ones ? Whats the performance (growl) and cost ?

Thx

I own an ELectra 05 .. Have put a K & N Filter and larger main jet...
Hi Goswami,
You could source the Goldstar silencer to my knowledge from Delhi, Shakeel from Pune or Muneer or Balaji from Chennai. Please remember that the Goldstar's do have a openable provision at the end and filled with glasswool. There are also megaphone silencer available in chennai for 500 -500 INR, which are basically free flow. No opening to fill glasswool.

If you could get a glasswool filled Goldstar type silencer , with your carb up jetted, it would do the job.it gives a decent depth to the bass. its not as loud as the meghaphone, but a little more that the short bottle silencer.

PS: i read that you have a KN fitted on your bullet. Are you running on the stock carb still. If so has it be up jetted. a VM-28 would be better choice without much compromise.

Thanks,
Vijay.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Other then looks whats the point of this pipe?

In simpler and crisp words,This exhaust offers you a thump that ,unlike free flow silencers, does not make shrilling noise at higher speeds.Its just the thump that makes people buy it.One might observe a slight increase in the initial pick up but an exhaust alone can't make ur machine a rocket.

Our Goldstars are specially designed fr RE (Not fr BSA /Not fr Triumphs) which do not misfire even if u do not up-jet ur current stock carb.
The only condition is that ur carb should be tuned well.
I have been riding a 2003 Tbird with my Goldstar fr the past 1 year and It does 130km/hr easily without any jets change.Though I do not deny the speedo error..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
[Sorry for being OT.. mods, please forgive..]

@Sans.. hello.. if you are into the manufacture of OE replica silencers, why dont you make OE replicas of Yamaha RD350 silencers? Coz nobody in India or outside makes them and they are in great demand.. im sure you'll get hundreds of customers if you start producing them. why dont you give a try?

hey mate ,Its easier said than done.A yamaha silencer is nt a piece of cake to manufacture.It takes the required time in R&d too.Most probably,I'll be manufacturing them too in the near future.
By the way thanks fr the suggestion.

Quote:
I just bought a Shakeel Goldie last Saturday and I've been going slower than the stock silencer. The low end torque has gone for a toss.The top end is relatively unchanged. My LB500 feels a lot smoother with the goldie than with the stock bazooka muffler.

This, with a bigger pilot of 20(stock 15) and a bigger 125 main jet(stock 110). This week, I'l plonk in a bigger mainjet and see if it makes any difference. The thump my LB500 makes is magical to say the least. Apart from the overdose of chrome on the Machismo, IMHO the goldy is the cheapest look-at-me contraption desogned for the bullet. But, I am reserving my judgment on the Goldie's performance till I upjet and get rid of the restrictive cat con.

Saurabh,

Welcome to team-bhp.

BTW, the megaphone is different from the Goldstar, isn't it? or am I missing something.

Spitfire,

Relax man. One rotten apple doesn't tilt the entire applecart. Let the thumpers be.

Hey Jayprashanth
Thanks fr the invitation buddy.In the that I have posted is fr the Goldstars that we manufacture but I have just quoted fr the sake of it,that its also known as Megaphone in states like Bangalore and Manipal.
Rest even I dnt know what a megaphone is.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th July 2009 at 21:15. Reason: Please use multi quote option. Thanks
Old 15th July 2009, 21:22   #53
BHPian

@jay

Quote:
I just bought a Shakeel Goldie last Saturday and I've been going slower than the stock silencer. The low end torque has gone for a toss.The top end is relatively unchanged. My LB500 feels a lot smoother with the goldie than with the stock bazooka muffler.

This, with a bigger pilot of 20(stock 15) and a bigger 125 main jet(stock 110). This week, I'l plonk in a bigger mainjet and see if it makes any difference. The thump my LB500 makes is magical to say the least. Apart from the overdose of chrome on the Machismo, IMHO the goldy is the cheapest look-at-me contraption desogned for the bullet. But, I am reserving my judgment on the Goldie's performance till I upjet and get rid of the restrictive cat con.

Saurabh,

Welcome to team-bhp.

BTW, the megaphone is different from the Goldstar, isn't it? or am I missing something.

Spitfire,

Hey Jay,
I'll explain u the design of a Goldstar.
A goldstar with baffles include two cylindrical grills at the conical section at equal placements.Along with that It includes a perforated sheet all across its walls .Ina way Its designing is diff. coz the exhaust flows through the walls of the silencer and not straight from the end pipe.The grills reduces the back pressure to an extent provided u have ur bull's air-fuel mixture properly tuned.
The up-jetting is not a mandatory thing in our case.The reason ,as I qouted before ,is that its specially made fr RE and not evruyone is able to understand the tiny-winy things about rejetting.

Though if u wish u can put a K&n and upjet ur carb to make it perform even well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Couldn't resist, when did this happen.

May be I'm wrong.I just heard frm a guy(may be he was nt a die hard fan of RE) frm Bangalore.I showed him teh pics and he said that we call it megaphone.

Can u pls enlighten me with a pic of Megaphone silencer,so that I do not quote Goldstars as megaphone?
Old 15th July 2009, 21:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans View Post
that its also known as Megaphone in states like Bangalore and Manipal.
Couldn't resist, when did this happen.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2009, 12:24   #55
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sans,

Wheres your office / outlet where i can come and pick one up.

Also, Im a total n00b so someone try explaining me whats up jetting and pilot ?

With pics , please
Old 5th August 2009, 13:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Okie,

Here we go. I bought a Shakeel Goldie three weeks ago on a rainy Pune Saturday. I put it on immediately and the engine felt smoother and eager to rev, well relatively. I was already running a 125 main and a 20 pilot anticipating a need for upjetting.

The bull pulled well at the higher end but the low end response was zilch. I got pissed off cos my LB500 was a torque monster with the stock pipe.

Two days with the unfinished goldie, I took it off for chrome plating. Meanwhile, I switched back to the stock bazooka silencer and immediately felt the improved acceleration. Was disappointed with the goldie.

Started thinking about why this was happening. I did a few plug chops. The plugs were showing a rich pilot and a perfect needle. Now, the main jet was showing a half rich-half lean colouring on the porcelain(electrode) part of the plug. This was when I got to know that the base ring is the main indicator jetting. Checked the base ring. It showed a decent ring of soot. So jetting is on the richer side. So, no power loss due to jetting.

Then, I got the hot tube welded off from the bend pipe. Now, I could experience what lack of back pressure does to acceleration. The punch was there at the higher revs but my Bull felt flat at the lower revs on the stock pipes. Effect is the same as that of goldie. So, the goldie actually reduces backpressure, thereby acceleration. Now, my goldie had arrived back after chroming. I put it on and now the low end accleration wasn't all that bad. Don't ask me how as my guess is as good as yours. I concluded that a bend pipe-(cat con)+goldie=best bet.

Now, I wanted to fiddle around with the jetting a little. I started off with a 135 mains. Result: the engine almost cut off on me at 80 in third gear. So, went down to a 130. Same effect. So, jetting too lean/rich. The plug showed a lot of soot at WOT also. Conclusion: rich. I also had a minor electrical problem on my LB500: a faulty key switch. This problem was amplified at WOT when the vibes rise leading to frequent disruptions in current to the engine. This, actually was the cause of my bull choking at 80 in third, not the jetting.

So replaced the ignition key system and tried a flat out run. Now, there was no sputtering at WOT but the engine used to jerk- kind of on and off response at WOT. Indications of a possible lean/rich mixture again. Did a plug chop. Plug indicates a rich mixture.

Now, I didn't feel like downjetting. So, what was the next option? A free-er flowing filter. I spoke to the BIG MAN at Bangalore. He hadn't yet developed a filter-jet kit for the LB500. So,I zeroed in on a K&N pod filter. I plonked a R-1060 on and tried out the 130 jet. Worked like a charm but was just a little lean. Did a 100 indicated in third gear. Went up to 135 and now I am running a 140 main jet. Now, my bull is running a custom made perforated MSD shroud for the K&N filter so that thieves cut their hands badly before they flick my filter. Now, I'm running a bit rich but that is ok with me. I am doing decent indicated speeds with power all through the rev range. Overall, the goldie with the K&N plus upjetting does help dish out some decent power, especially mid range and above. The engine, for a bullet, revs more eagerly and feels better.

PS: Chinmay Dangre(9822212496) at Pune made me good quality jets. So, if you need bigger jets, you may contact him.
Old 6th August 2009, 19:26   #57
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Alright ,

Thats just a lot of information to understand at one go so I took time and googled and tried understanding what main and pilot jets are.

Now, here are my questions to you Mr. Prasanth, (please bear with me)

- Is it necessary to change the bend pipe if I plan to change to Goldstar?
- Are there any side effects?
- Where exactly are the main jets and pilot on the carb and you wouldn't happen to know where i can get my hands on some jets in delhi, would you?

Old 11th September 2009, 01:27   #58
BHPian

Daytona Racing Goldie

I suddenly had a thought.
Yamaha has introduce racing kits for the FZ and F15 ,which make the exhaust note sound sportier.

Now what would the Enfield adaptation of that be ??

Ideally I would like it to sound as close as possible to a Harley ( I just love that sound ) but em willing to settle for 'Thump'

But what I want is sportier Thump ( if there ever was a thing like it )

Bullet experts/ muffler experts / and all out of the box thinkers please let me know what ya think.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

1. You can not compare a two cylinder sound with a single cylinder. IMO single sound much "thumpier" and twins sound more snarly.

2. What is your definition of "sportier" thump?
Old 11th September 2009, 12:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Alright ,

Thats just a lot of information to understand at one go so I took time and googled and tried understanding what main and pilot jets are.

Now, here are my questions to you Mr. Prasanth, (please bear with me)

- Is it necessary to change the bend pipe if I plan to change to Goldstar?

No, not necessary.
- Are there any side effects?

Engine will run lean. Low end will decrease just a little bit. Upjetting will solve the issue.

- Where exactly are the main jets and pilot on the carb and you wouldn't happen to know where i can get my hands on some jets in delhi, would you?

Karol Bagh. Main jets are for 3/4th to full throttle. Pilot jet is for 0-1/8th throttle. On Bullets, the pilot circuit works almost till 1/4th throttle. If you don't find jets, contact Chinmay Dangre from Pune. He makes very good jets. If you need his number PM me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks