Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:59   #1
BANNED

CT 100 bulb gets blown often

My Bajaj CT 100 halogen bulb gets blown often, i replaced head light bulb 4 times, and also the brake light bulb also gets blown same time or other, if i raise the throttle to overtake an vehicle or move more than average speed.

i have no battery, though the battery is connected, but it is dead. mechanic say two options,

1) change to higher wattage (car bulb)
2) replace some controller which cost Rs.350

But i want to know whether what is wrong, whether wiring or something.. please help
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:06   #2
BHPian

Re: CT 100 bulb gets blown often

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
My Bajaj CT 100 halogen bulb gets blown often, i replaced head light bulb 4 times, and also the brake light bulb also gets blown same time or other, if i raise the throttle to overtake an vehicle or move more than average speed.

i have no battery, though the battery is connected, but it is dead. mechanic say two options,

1) change to higher wattage (car bulb)
2) replace some controller which cost Rs.350

But i want to know whether what is wrong, whether wiring or something.. please help
Your RR unit (regulator/rectifier) is kaput, replace it at the earliest. Your mechanic is misleading, if you upgrade to higher rated bulbs too, it won't withstand on higher rpms and it won't give you sufficient brightness with that. Change the rr as it will save you other console lights too.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:42   #3
BHPian

This has happened to me once. Mine was probably there was water in the headlight section and when the bulb heated had water contact, ,it blew. Didn't even realize for more than 4 days since the throw of the bulb is pretty low.
Old 23rd March 2011, 09:44   #4
BHPian

rajivanoj, the symptoms are quite similar to what happens when an alternator is directly connected to the electrical's of your bike. It seems like the voltage spikes from the alternators are blowing the bulbs off.

Changing to higher wattage bulbs is not a good solution IMHO.

Any reason that you don't want to change the battery? That should help the problem go away for good.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
rajivanoj, the symptoms are quite similar to what happens when an alternator is directly connected to the electrical's of your bike. It seems like the voltage spikes from the alternators are blowing the bulbs off.

Changing to higher wattage bulbs is not a good solution IMHO.

Any reason that you don't want to change the battery? That should help the problem go away for good.

Dude, putting a new battery wont settle this as the battery will also get fried just because of faulty RR. Basically a RR will stabilize the over voltage by shorting internally with the help of SCRs. RR have to functionalities first is regulating the supply to a max of 14V and the second part is rectification for the the battery charging. Battery cant suppress any excess voltage and it doesnt have any connection to the lighting circuit. Lighting coils will produce a moderate voltage at normal rpms hence no issues but once you are trying to overtake or increasing the speed, rpm increases and obviously voltage too. Normal bulb will withstand a max of 16-17v beyond that it will blow.

@rajivanoj What about your tail lamp/console lights? That should also be in the same condition by now. Replace your RR there's no much options left for you.
Old 23rd March 2011, 13:30   #6
BHPian

@rajivanoj, before going for RR swap have your electricals checked. Take a digital Multimeter and measure the voltage at the bulb socket at higher rpms. If your RR is fine it should not cross 14V, if its more than that, your RR has gone for a toss and get it replaced. If you are reluctant to replace it, you may end up with replacing the bulbs contentiously which will cost more than a RR and also compromising with the safety of yours as well as to the others too.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:00   #7
BANNED

@ sajit
will check the voltage on sockets, and have to check electricals, whether there is any short circuit. Thanks for information, i have an multimeter at home. Will do it today.

tail lamp, one filament is gone, other is working while braking. console lights are working, but parking light is not working.

@kausikr
Got tired of changing batteries, vitamin M problem for now,

@rdna
no water in headlight, if it is so, then it will blow off even while at low RPMs, but mine gets blown only on higher RPM.

Thank you all, for quick response. Will try to rectify and find where is fault.today
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
@ sajit
will check the voltage on sockets, and have to check electricals, whether there is any short circuit. Thanks for information, i have an multimeter at home. Will do it today.

tail lamp, one filament is gone, other is working while braking. console lights are working, but parking light is not working.

@kausikr
Got tired of changing batteries, vitamin M problem for now,

@rdna
no water in headlight, if it is so, then it will blow off even while at low RPMs, but mine gets blown only on higher RPM.

Thank you all, for quick response. Will try to rectify and find where is fault.today
Dude, brake light circuit is from battery hence its still worki ng park light is directly from the lighting coil.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:46   #9
BHPian

Sounds like the rectifier/regulator issue. You must be able to notice your headlights getting brighter than usual at higher rpms, after a few mins of high rpm ride the blub blows. Replace it with genuine spare and while you change it ask them to check the wiring. Faced this in my Kiho, but loved it when everyone had to dip their beam .
Old 24th March 2011, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Sounds like the rectifier/regulator issue. You must be able to notice your headlights getting brighter than usual at higher rpms, after a few mins of high rpm ride the blub blows. Replace it with genuine spare and while you change it ask them to check the wiring. Faced this in my Kiho, but loved it when everyone had to dip their beam .
Hardly gets any happy hours as within minutes the bulb will fuse.

Btw, what's Kiho?
Old 24th March 2011, 22:05   #11
BHPian

KInetic Honda LOL. No, after the first bulb blows, and u get a wind of it, you could limit the rpms to under that and still get the brightest lights, takes some use though. There is also just a rectifier that was available at those times. Well you cant ride all night long but less than an hour for sure and for a few hours if you are careful!

Last edited by YaeJay : 24th March 2011 at 22:06.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:58   #12
BANNED

i have tested with multimeter, the volt goes upto 22-23v as i raise RPM in idle, i was afraid of raising accelerator much, so i left and came to conclusion that the voltage is not controlled parallel to RPM, so i think it must be regulator problem as bhpians suggest.

So, Do you people suggest to change regulator without any second thought, ?
Old 25th March 2011, 08:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
i have tested with multimeter, the volt goes upto 22-23v as i raise RPM in idle, i was afraid of raising accelerator much, so i left and came to conclusion that the voltage is not controlled parallel to RPM, so i think it must be regulator problem as bhpians suggest.

So, Do you people suggest to change regulator without any second thought, ?
What other testimony you want more?
Old 25th March 2011, 08:54   #14
BANNED

No more testimonies, will do it today itself . .
Old 25th March 2011, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
No more testimonies, will do it today itself . .

Its a DIY thingy, head for Bajaj SVC-spares division, ask for CT100 regulator and specify the year of make so that if any difference in sockets will be sorted out. Near the battery you can find the same, it can be dismantled with the help of 10mm spanner and plonk the new one, fasten the connection socket. Make sure that the black wire to be bolted along with the regulator body bolt to ensure proper grounding. Done, you are ready to go. Enjoy peaceful ride

Last edited by sajjt : 25th March 2011 at 10:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks