Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 21:38   #1

Modifying the Machismo 350 AVL (including a disc -> drum brake conversion)

hey guys,

as what the title indicates, i would like to know if it's possible to fit a 500cc (or bigger piston) and 500cc AVL cylinder barrel on my current 350cc machismo AVL?

are there other items that need to be looked into for this performance upgrade?

anyone with this successful upgrade pls share or is this even possible? i'm extremely pls with my 350 but hope to get more power because of touring and my pillion on board.

thanks in advance!
Old 24th March 2011, 21:40   #2

Disc Brake To Drum Brake

I know, i know... some of us just like the vintage drum brake look.

Just want to know if the current disc brake fork on my 350 machismo AVL can fit (plug n play) the drum brake hub + wheelset without any modifcations?

or do I need to change the fork as well?

thanks in advance guys!
Old 24th March 2011, 21:49   #3
BHPian

Re: Disc Brake To Drum Brake

Why do you want to sacrifice safety over looks? Can a disc brake replaced with drums in terms of performance?
Old 25th March 2011, 09:36   #4

sajjt, guess u're missing the point on my question and yes, i'm aware of the performances. and thank you for your concern on safety

back to my question, does anyone know if the drum brakes and hub will fit a disc brake fork? appreciate some insights if anyone has done it.

thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:44   #5

Upping the battery - Machismo

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I'm on a 350 Machismo (indian) AVL. The current battery is 12V 5amp. I believe they're used for kickstart models. However, it seems that it's not powerful enough to power the lights and horn consistently. I'm thinking of getting a more powerful battery 12V 12amp to power higher output bulbs and stuff... just like the electric start models. Is that even recommended? Can the alternator and charging handle it?

I'm not a tech electric guru, but I've heard of successful stories using a circuit to bypass the cut-out and the parallel charging is one continuous except when the headlights are on. Need some clarification on that and how exactly is that done on my model. Any other recommendations are most welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:25   #6
BHPian

It will not be a PNP IMO.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes you will need to change the LHS fork leg outer, the disk brake version does not have the brake plate stopper or the brake cable stopper.
Old 26th March 2011, 08:45   #8

Re: Modifying the Machismo 350 AVL (including a disc -> drum brake conversion)

Thanks for sharing Sankar.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

If going for drum brake be sure to get the twin leading shoe type. The earlier single leading shoe brake is pathetically weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbue View Post
hey guys,

as what the title indicates, i would like to know if it's possible to fit a 500cc (or bigger piston) and 500cc AVL cylinder barrel on my current 350cc machismo AVL?

are there other items that need to be looked into for this performance upgrade?
You can for sure increase the compression of the bike, either skim the head or get a higher compression piston from Hitchcock or RoyalEnfield USA. Get a head porting job done. Replace the stock 26mmCV carb with a 28mm or 30mm slide carburetor and jet it correctly. Replace the stock long exhaust pipe with a goldstar replica/megaphone exhaust pipe.

AVL500cc block will not sit in the 350cc crankcase as the mouth is not large enough, it will take machining and welding job to make it fit.

Last edited by Sankar : 26th March 2011 at 16:04.
Old 26th March 2011, 20:53   #10
BHPian

@Imbue, where do you have this machine- singapore?

You could tell us if its a CDI or TCI model, RR unit is single or separate? Wrf drum brake conversion- a brake torque arm bolted from disc caliper mounts to drum back plate slot might save replacing the fork bottom. Lock slot needs a hole drilled.

@Sankar, I'm sure you know of TollGate Classics & their 400-440cc conversions. Considering that a 500 mod is too much work & costly, Do we have any big bore options- suitable mod worthy automobile pistons for a 400 something?

Last edited by Rennjit : 26th March 2011 at 20:58.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If going for drum brake be sure to get the twin leading shoe type. The earlier single leading shoe brake is pathetically weak.

You can for sure increase the compression of the bike, either skim the head or get a higher compression piston from Hitchcock or RoyalEnfield USA. Get a head porting job done. Replace the stock 26mmCV carb with a 28mm or 30mm slide carburetor and jet it correctly. Replace the stock long exhaust pipe with a goldstar replica/megaphone exhaust pipe.

AVL500cc block will not sit in the 350cc crankcase as the mouth is not large enough, it will take machining and welding job to make it fit.

thanks sankar for the tips. yes, i'm currently on a higher compression piston, 28mm carb and a freeflow exhaust. i'm hoping to increase hp and performance for touring purposes with a pillion behind.

looks like i don't have much options. what's next?
Old 27th March 2011, 21:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
@Imbue, where do you have this machine- singapore?

You could tell us if its a CDI or TCI model, RR unit is single or separate? Wrf drum brake conversion- a brake torque arm bolted from disc caliper mounts to drum back plate slot might save replacing the fork bottom. Lock slot needs a hole drilled.

@Sankar, I'm sure you know of TollGate Classics & their 400-440cc conversions. Considering that a 500 mod is too much work & costly, Do we have any big bore options- suitable mod worthy automobile pistons for a 400 something?

Renjit, what make u guess singapore?

How does one determine if it's CDI or TCI? RR (meaning rectifier and regulator) i take it... i'll have to go check.

btw, renjit, hitchcock advised against the 400++ upgrades as the gains are not worth the effort according to them.

guys, are the axle (middle metal shaft that slides through the wheelset hub hole and fork clamps) are they the same size for the disc fork and drum fork? they don't look the same.

I'm planning on changing to a drum fork. However the supplier does not have the axle for the wheelset and drum fork.

Where can I purchase this? Any leads or resource is much appreciated!

Thanks again in advance!
Old 27th March 2011, 22:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

500 AVL? Hmm, lets see. Simple, go and buy one. You'd rather buy a 500AVL and have two really clean and untocuhed bikes than a badly messed up blob.

Reboring cast irons are fairly simpler than reboring aluminum blocks.

And God forbid if anything went wrong in drilling that AVL block, you'd be wearing your bike like a unwanted bad luck pendant round your neck.

Simple rule, mess with the engine when you know its expendable OR you couldn't care less if it went wrong OR you really got the greens to blow.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys, are the axle (middle metal shaft that slides through the wheelset hub hole and fork clamps) are they the same size for the disc fork and drum fork? they don't look the same.
There are two kinds of axle & fork mating.

Type1: Axle through the forks and axle bolt secures the axle in place.

Type2: Axle without threads for a bolt at its end, axle is secured to the fork using one fork end cap secured by two nuts on each side.

Disk brake setup uses the first type, and drum brake uses the second type. I'm not sure if the later model drum brakes came with the first type or the second type system. If the later model drum brake setup came with type 1 setup then there's a chance that the axle would be the same, if it didn't the you may need to change both fork legs. Or custom make axles to suit.

Quote:
How does one determine if it's CDI or TCI? RR (meaning rectifier and regulator) i take it... i'll have to go check.
Once quick and easy way is to disconnect the battery and try to start. CDI starts without battery, TCI doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Reboring cast irons are fairly simpler than reboring aluminum blocks.
Its aluminium block with cast iron sleeve, so the reboring can be done reliably at a place with proper machine and knowhow.
Old 28th March 2011, 14:58   #15

Sankar, Thanks for enlightening us.

Can you share where can I purchase an axle for this fork? - http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!CD(8HYQ!2k~$(KGrHqV,!icE0HQHifzdBNOWFR2eFg~~_12.J PG

Appreciate some helpful leads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks