Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 22:22   #16
BHPian

Re: We go with the Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Congratulations on the Wego, mate.
The Wego has received rave reviews from the Pros and Owners alike. So, I am sure it'll serve you just great.
Wishing you a pleasant ownership experience.
BTW, did you compare the Wego's performance against that of the Activa - as in Pick up and Top Speed?
I have only had a taste of the pickup and seems quite peppy at the lower rpms. However, being a new engine, I have not opened the throttle to compare top speeds. I prefer running it in properly before wringing the throttle. I am not very particular about that since it is primarily a city scooter and top speeds don't matter much to me. Function over form for me with this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Congrats on the Wego! Lot of people are starting to go for this considering the waiting time of Activa and the horrible attitude of Honda. The price seems to be competitive as well. Please try to keep this thread as a running review of sorts. Wishing you and your wife many happy miles on this
Price is bang in the middle of the Honda trios and the Suzuki Access. The price is extremely competitive and makes for a compelling buy considering the attitude from Honda and the long waiting periods. I am yet to come across even one genuinely negative review of this scooter.

I hope to keep this a living thread and put in my views and experiences (and my wife's) with the scooter.

Prajwal
Old 26th March 2011, 22:27   #17
BHPian

Congrats bro.

Me too have been checking out many the scoots in the market for my dad. So far Wego has been top of my list. Wait periods for the Hondas are a big negative.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
Congrats bro.

Me too have been checking out many the scoots in the market for my dad. So far Wego has been top of my list. Wait periods for the Hondas are a big negative.
The wait period for the Aviator, as per the salesman, was at 1 month. I am sure it would get extended beyond that easily. The Wego was in our hands in 2 days. In fact, if we could come early from the office, we could've had it in 1 day.

Prajwal
Old 27th April 2011, 13:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Well. I don't know the exact reference to the term "body balance" on the Wego, but the scoot is very easy to balance at low speeds. Usually, lighter the scoot, harder it is to balance at low speeds. But this seems quite easy. Maybe that's what they meant by body balance.

I'll be satisfied with the "body balance" of the scoot if I can get the third hand from below the seat to caress my chest! Lol!

Prajwal
Dear Prajwal..
I am a proud owner of WEGO since March 2011... It's really good and smooth to ride. Actually the body balance ease can be understood when you ride with a pillion ... the scooter goes without a drag and on the go transfer the weight of rider and pillion as one unit.. Well if you want to experience it without a pillion rider .. try a little zig-zag drive for a few meters (only for testing on a trafficless road) and see the gliding effect of the vehicle without drag or sway... That's it.

-vjs
Old 28th April 2011, 10:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayyes View Post
Dear Prajwal..
I am a proud owner of WEGO since March 2011... It's really good and smooth to ride. Actually the body balance ease can be understood when you ride with a pillion ... the scooter goes without a drag and on the go transfer the weight of rider and pillion as one unit.. Well if you want to experience it without a pillion rider .. try a little zig-zag drive for a few meters (only for testing on a trafficless road) and see the gliding effect of the vehicle without drag or sway... That's it.

-vjs
Hey thanks for that tip. I'll try that out in the evening.

Gave the scooter for the 1st service and the engine has turned out really smooth. Paid Rs.270/- for the service charges for changing the oil and consumables. I am skeptical about the quality of the new engine oil from TVS company. Found out that the grade for the oil must be 10W30. I'll try and change the oil on my own after some running. Odo reading at 715 kms now.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 8th May 2011, 13:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the scoot, Prajwal! One thing not many mention about the Wego are the looks. I find it to be an extremely good looking, neutral scooter (as opposed to the Scooty, Pleasure, etc). Activa & Access are too dull and the Mahindras are unrecognisably common looking.

Wish you many kms of joy, and do keep us posted on your experiences and how she ages.
Old 20th July 2011, 10:19   #22
BHPian

Service Update.

Got the 2nd service done for the Wego. No major problems, except that during the first service, the mech had swapped the High/low beams. So had to use the High beam to use the low beam, and "lowered" the switch to use the high beam. All fixed now.

Very sceptical with the engine oil they use. Checked the oil bottle and it mentioned 10W30. But no mention of the grade in the manual. I am not convinced of that grade. I think it is unsuitable for this engine. The engine feels very rough at higher speeds (>50kmph) and after running for sometime. Will stick to it for about 200-300 kms and will switch over to 20W40. I feel that the oil they use is too thin for the engine. upon enquiring, they said they used the same oil for ALL the vehicles that they service, including the Apaches. Is it to save on the oil, or to pass the emission norms? Or both? Am not convinced though. I have the Motul 20W40 ready with me for switching over in a couple of weeks.

Total bill came up to Rs.295/- all inclusive. Apart from my reservations of the oil, I am satisfied with their promptness.

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 20th July 2011 at 10:20.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the 2nd service done for the Wego
Prajwal,

Congrats on knowing that the scooter is now trouble free. At what intervals is the scheduled maintenance?

Also would like to know about the warranty terms as far as suspensions, speedometer are concerned since Activa does not provide the same. Whats the case with Wego?
Old 19th November 2012, 10:11   #24
BHPian

Updating the thread after a loooong time.

All free services over and Odo reads just past 6K. Switched over to 20W40 Motul oil and the engine runs just brilliant! Super smooth and no roughness that I had experienced with the 10W30 oil.

Self-start stopped working and had to kick-start the scoot. Found the problem to be with the battery. Changed it from 4aH to 5aH. Now everything works well.

Front forks seem to have weakened. Potholes mark their presence more of late. Have to get the forks checked.

No other issues with the scooter. Returns a healthy average of 43kmpl regularly with purely city usage.

Prajwal
Old 19th November 2012, 18:59   #25
BHPian

Nice review there on the Wego. This scooter sure is promising, however I went in for the Yamaha Ray for its fresh appeal and Wife found it easy to handle when compared to the Honda's and Suzuki's.

Just was curious to understand how do so many Wego owners claim a mileage of 50kms/ltr is this something to do with the engine tuning or is it just riding style?
Old 19th November 2012, 19:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Nice review there on the Wego. This scooter sure is promising, however I went in for the Yamaha Ray for its fresh appeal and Wife found it easy to handle when compared to the Honda's and Suzuki's.

Just was curious to understand how do so many Wego owners claim a mileage of 50kms/ltr is this something to do with the engine tuning or is it just riding style?
Well, the Ray was not launched at the time I purchased it. And the Wego seemed to be the best of the lot. I still feel its better than most. But that's as per my requirements.

In fact, when I picked it up, the main points that swayed my decision towards it were the ease of the center stand, direction of the kicklever, 12" wheels and the external fuel lid. Of course, the telescopic forks were a strong plus too.

I think it gives better mileage because it is tuned for lesser power compared to the Honda's inspite of having a 110cc engine. I guess this tuning returns better mileage. Power was not much of a concern for me since it is a city ride and I am hardly a fast rider. I throttle up very gradually and putter around at 35-40 kmph.

Prajwal
Old 21st November 2012, 15:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All free services over and Odo reads just past 6K. Switched over to 20W40 Motul oil and the engine runs just brilliant! Super smooth and no roughness that I had experienced with the 10W30 oil.
Have you experienced any sluggishness in pick up after switching to 20W40? Asking because i normally ride in the 50-60kmph range and like the way it currently picks up speed though it is not similar to Honda and Suzukis. Switching to thicker oil might meddle with this. Also any drop in FE due to the 20W40? If both the above points are not an issue, then will change to 20W40 in the second service itself.
Old 21st November 2012, 19:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have you experienced any sluggishness in pick up after switching to 20W40? Asking because i normally ride in the 50-60kmph range and like the way it currently picks up speed though it is not similar to Honda and Suzukis. Switching to thicker oil might meddle with this. Also any drop in FE due to the 20W40? If both the above points are not an issue, then will change to 20W40 in the second service itself.
Yes I have, but very slightly. I would have been surprised if there wasn't any sluggishness. xxW40 is a thicker oil than xxW30. It takes slightly longer time to heat up and a very very slight judder when moving from stationary and around 5-10 kmph speeds. The engine smoothens out beyond that and its such a pleasure to ride with that oil. I could feel the watery nature of the xxW30 oil when I tested out a friend's Wego.

The mileage has not affected and it returns approx 42kmpl steadily for me.

let me know when u want to check my wego out.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 21:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mileage has not affected and it returns approx 42kmpl steadily for me. let me know when u want to check my wego out.
Thanks for the feedback and the offer to check out your Wego.

I have experimented on the RTR180 with xW50 oil and then reverted to xW40 from Motul (mineral) and was changing it after every 2000kms regularly. I too have noticed the coarseness of the engine of the Wego after running it spiritedly for say 15kms. If the xW40 can get rid of this it will be worthy to change the oil.

I am shocked at how TVS can say that 10W30 oil can run for 6000kms without any oil change!! I guess sticking to the 2000-2500kms routine of oil change with Motul mineral 20W40 would be best for engine health in Wego.

Opinion?
Old 21st November 2012, 21:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks for the feedback and the offer to check out your Wego.

I have experimented on the RTR180 with xW50 oil and then reverted to xW40 from Motul (mineral) and was changing it after every 2000kms regularly. I too have noticed the coarseness of the engine of the Wego after running it spiritedly for say 15kms. If the xW40 can get rid of this it will be worthy to change the oil.

I am shocked at how TVS can say that 10W30 oil can run for 6000kms without any oil change!! I guess sticking to the 2000-2500kms routine of oil change with Motul mineral 20W40 would be best for engine health in Wego.

Opinion?
TVS says somethings that I don't believe anyway. They don't mention the grade of oil in the manual. I went into the service center and asked to see the oil bottle. It was 15W30 on it and only then I realised the courseness of the engine. I immediately decided that I will change the oil after running it for about 1000 kms. When I changed the oil, the colour was all black already. I picked up a couple of bottles of Motul 20W40 900ml each, filled 800ml into the Wego and the remaining 1 litre into my Unicorn.

The engine courseness is now more during the heating process and during very low speeds. Once the speed picks up, the engine is just beautiful. The scoot does begin to cough beyond 60-65kmph, and is not terribly quick beyond that. But I never go beyond that anyway. Do you think that is because of the xxW40 oil? I haven't checked any other Wego at those speeds on a xxW30 oil.

Prajwal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks