Team-BHP - Difference between the various Yamaha RX series bikes?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Difference between the various Yamaha RX series bikes? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/98842-difference-between-various-yamaha-rx-series-bikes.html)

hey guys, I've been out of India for 18 years, just returned, and after ducatis and ZX-12Rs and what not, I am back looking at indian bikes. In my absence, the two strokes have vanished and single cylinder 4 strokes are everywhere. Unfortunately for me, I can't get excited by the 150-220 cc thumpers that one finds here, and I am not inclined to pay big money for an import.

so I thought I'd try to find an old RD350 or an RX100. except I find the RX100 was superceded by an RX135, an RXG and an RXZ. information the the internet is very poor about explaining how they all differ. I get that the latter 3 are 135s, and the RXZ has different cosmetics, but beyond that the info gets confusing.

Any inputs on what the specific differences between the 100, the 135, the G and the Z, would be greatly appreciated.

also, any tips on how to located a nice RD would be nice!

thanks all!

I guess, people thought it was too obvious than not knowing the difference :)None of these bikes are sold by Yamaha anymore. They are discontinued more than 5 years back, yet RX100 and RX135 command good resale.

and if I recall the RXG engine was a shoddy effort at emission conformance, and was not exactly as well behaved as the other RX's
Which point were the electricals converted to 12V? (Recommended for most RX's , esp if you ride a lot at night.)
RXZ - parts a bit tight these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 2298103)
and if I recall the RXG engine was a shoddy effort at emission conformance, and was not exactly as well behaved as the other RX's
Which point were the electricals converted to 12V? (Recommended for most RX's , esp if you ride a lot at night.)
RXZ - parts a bit tight these days

Indeed. RXG was considered much less robust compared to RX100, though I forgot why that was so. Had read about it long time back.

AFAIK, RXG onwards it became 12V. RX100 was 6V.

And no offense, but never liked looks of RXZ.

Wasn't there a RX 125 also, I had seen the 125 badge on a few bikes long time ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 2298134)
Wasn't there a RX 125 also, I had seen the 125 badge on a few bikes long time ago.

I have seen few RX125s with a "star" shaped of emblem in between RX and 125. However, I have no clue if and when they were launched in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 2298151)
I have seen few RX125s with a "star" shaped of emblem in between RX and 125. However, I have no clue if and when they were launched in India.

AFAIK,it was launched,but only a few were sold,i remember seeing one,when i was in school,never saw one after that.
its almost extinct now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 2298109)
Indeed. RXG was considered much less robust compared to RX100, though I forgot why that was so. Had read about it long time back.

Didn't the RXG have starting problems?

Also, I think the 4 speed 135 had a different barrel, with better low end grunt than the 5 speed.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2298272)

Also, I think the 4 speed 135 had a different barrel, with better low end grunt than the 5 speed.

Regards
Sutripta

You are absolutely right.
though i dont know much details,but yes barrels are different,and 5 speed one'es are very rare now.
4speed has more low end grunt.
5 speed is better off at high revs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2298272)

Regards
Sutripta

there was a never a problem in RXG ...

the carbs on Yamaha has to be set right and plugs clean ... the bike will start in first kick for sure !!

When you go for very old 2 stroke models,do check if RTOs are allowing renwal of registrations.(as now they are enforcing BS emission norms)

Yamaha and Suzuki had those great adrenaline pumper bikes like RX /Shogun etc.
But their bad emission problems forced them to adopt to new 4 stroke bikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 2298298)
4speed has more low end grunt.
5 speed is better off at high revs.

RX135 - 4 speed has true top speed of 102 kmph.
Suzuki Shogun had true top speed of 108 kmph.
5 speed RX135 may have marginally higher top speed than Shogun, thanks to 5th gear, though it is just no match to Shogun's roaring exhaust note. Shogun "THE BOSS" was just brilliant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 2297871)
I guess, people thought it was too obvious than not knowing the difference :)
  • RX100: 100 cc, 11 BHP, 2 stroke. 1st gen bike. (I guess discontinued around 1996 due to stricter pollution norms)
  • RXG : 135cc, 12 BHP, 2 Stroke to replace RX100. Did not click in the market, thanks largely to changed exhaust note and a bit of stickering work on the fuel tank. People missed that RX100 beat. Discontinued in couple of years.
  • RX135 and RXZ: Both same generation bikes replacing RXG. Engine remained almost same (probably some tweaking was done but not change in specs). Looks were changed.
    • RX135 more closely resembled RX100 and exhaust note was less metallic and a bit deeper.
    • RXZ had different sporty(?) styling, but same engine.
  • RX135 5 speed: 14 BHP, 5 speed bike. Had worst exhaust note, thanks to the catalytic converter, but went like a silent rocket (trust me on that). Discontinued in short time and 4 speed RX135 was introduced once again.
None of these bikes are sold by Yamaha anymore. They are discontinued more than 5 years back, yet RX100 and RX135 command good resale.

That was a good list, i'm just adding to it.
  1. RX100 6 volt
  2. RX100 12volt, during its last few years.
  3. RXG- RXG port layout was very econominded, didn't have the top end oomph of the RX100 and the rotor was quite heavy. I had my very first road accident on this bike :(
  4. RX135 - Then came the RX135, a revamped RXG. Still didnt inspire the masses who benchmarked it against the RX100.
  5. RXZ- RXZ was sporty body with same engine as RX135. The exhaust pipe was different too and had a mechanical tacho.
  6. RX135 Tiger - This is the low price model of the RX135, Had cheaper indicators (no plastichrome and other bits of cost cutting). Tiger was discontinued by the time the 5 speed came out. RX135 speed got new graphics and existed as the 4 speed variant.
  7. RX135 5Speed - The best RX yet after the demise of the RX100. Exhaust note was a let down but performance made up for it. Had a different oval bore carb compared to the round bore of the 4 speed, port layout was different, head volume was lower than the 4 speed variant. I had one in black, Got it done up by Ron and it was a fun machine.
  8. RXZ135 5 speed - same engine as 5 speed 135, body style same as RXZ but had better graphics and a sunpro disk brake up front. The 5 speed to have.
  9. RX135 - 5 speed was discontinued and the 4 speed came out with a different black silencer with removable bend pipe and other cheapo bits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135 (Post 2298369)
5 speed RX135 may have marginally higher top speed than Shogun, thanks to 5th gear, though it is just no match to Shogun's roaring exhaust note. Shogun "THE BOSS" was just brilliant.

Shogun was in a different class altogether, it was based on TVS' track bike. That high revving motor and the stock exhaust note was pure nirvana during those days.

A bone stock 5 speed, with the black exhaust, was clocked doing around 115kmph on the gun during one of our meets.

Noob Question : Did the RXZ have a disk brake as standard fitment ? I kinda liked it when I was (almost) a kid, especially in blue! There was a white shade offered too I guess, which I think looked boring.
I have seen many RX135s with disks up front as well. I think they were optional, as in, a dealer option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 2298134)

AFAIK the RX125 is a myth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 2298433)
Noob Question : Did the RXZ have a disk brake as standard fitment ? I kinda liked it when I was (almost) a kid, especially in blue! There was a white shade offered too I guess, which I think looked boring.
I have seen many RX135s with disks up front as well. I think they were optional, as in, a dealer option.

Yes the 5-speed came with a disc brake upfront.