Team-BHP - Help in deciding whether to get my pulsar 150cc 2003 model or get a new bike
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Help in deciding whether to get my pulsar 150cc 2003 model or get a new bike (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/98849-help-deciding-whether-get-my-pulsar-150cc-2003-model-get-new-bike.html)

Hey Guys,

I am in a dilemma here, I own a 2003, Bajaj Pulsar 150cc bike, which I bought in Noida (UP), while i was living there, now that I moved to Bangalore in 2006, I left the bike there with my cousin, he hasn't been using it much and the bike has done just over 20k kms, The bike now has some rusty parts, not too rusty but need some work done on it.

Parts that are not functioning (or not functioning properly) are as below

Turn Indicator switch
Horn switch
Electric Start Motor
Some wires are out of their place, not sure which ones
Battery needs replacement for sure
Tyres are in OK shape
Engine noise is high, and i am sure the clutch needs replacement as the pickup is pathetic when I last drove it a few months back.

as my cousin moved to Hyd, He took the bike along with him. I am now planning to get the bike over to Bangalore, and get it serviced thoroughly and replace the parts mentioned above (maybe more parts needs replacement than the ones i mentioned above)

I would like to know your opinion, if it would be worth getting the bike over to Bangalore from Hyd (Checked with a transport guy and he quoted 2k for getting it to Bangalore), or should I sell it off and go for a new bike? Somehow, I am emotionally attached to the pulsar as it was my first bike ever and i bought it with my own hard earned money while i was working part time with a company in Delhi back then. But at the same time i am also thinking practically to see if things would be good if i get it here to Bangalore and use it here. I already have the NOC from the Noida RTO.

I am unsure of the mileage i would get off it once i get it here and get it serviced. As far as I remember I used to get around 45kmpl when the bike was in great condition back in 2006.

I feel that the handlebar is also off alignment, i feel my right hand stressed out when i ride the bike. also the brake lever foot rest isn't in good shape and its the same with the gear side foot rest too.

Please advice. I am not sure if more info is required for you guys to help me with this, but I would highly appreciate any inputs please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 2297772)
Hey Guys,

I am in a dilemma here, I own a 2003, Bajaj Pulsar 150cc bike, which I bought in Noida (UP), while i was living there, now that I moved to Bangalore in 2006, I left the bike there with my cousin, he hasn't been using it much and the bike has done just over 20k kms, The bike now has some rusty parts, not too rusty but need some work done on it.

Please advice. I am not sure if more info is required for you guys to help me with this, but I would highly appreciate any inputs please.

Hi gearbox

My sympathies for the poor condition your bike is in. I understand that since you have shifted base to Bangy, your bike may have been neglected by your cousin as he might be having his own vehicle, plus, the feeling that the bike is not from his hard earned money, might have never prompted him to spend something extra on the bike (sorry to offend you). But, the same happened in my case as well, when my cousin left my bike at my my residence, when he moved to Hyderabad. I promptly parked the bike in garage & never cared for servicing or even to drain the oils from the unused bike. Resulting in starting problems in the bike when my cousin came back. Even the tyres (though unused) were in bad shape & he alongwith me spent some time with the mechanic getting the bike in good shape. Needless to say, he used the bike for over a year & then sold the bike for good money.

I would suggest, you get the bike back & spend some money on the same & enjoy the ride till you wish to before selling the bike. I may sound stupid & emotional fool, but this asset is purchased from your hard earned money & there is no point in selling it in the condition it is at present, as it would not fetch good money & make you feel bad/ sad.

I suggest you can put 16/17" rims with wider tyres at the rear & 17' wider tyre at the front as well & some other simple mods that you wish to have on the bike.

Nevertheless the choice is yours. :thumbs up

Since you have the paper work, get the bike to Bangy and get a quote to refurbish the bike. If its very high, then think practically. If not then go with your heart, get it up and running and enjoy it for many more years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 2297772)

Sell it and get a new bike registered in Bangalore. The pulsars are not a long-term proposition anyways. And some of the parts for the older gen Pulsars are not available anymore. Even if they are you will be hunting for them for a lot longer.

Not worth it.

Thanks for the responses guys.

@CARDEEP, Its just what you mentioned happened to my bike, not that my cousin wouldnt take care of it, but he is too lazy to actually get it to the mechanic. I am not offended but it did happen that way to my bike. I wish to get it to Bangalore and get it fixed, But as Spitfire mentioned that parts may not be available for the old pulsar, that makes me worry a bit.

@ Spitfire, Thank You for the response, I do not want to spend more than 5 to 10k on refurbishing the bike, if it takes more than that to get it in shape, I would rather sell it. But thinking of getting a new bike makes me feel sad, as i really like this old pulsar of mine, it has very good power when compared to the DTSi models in the market today. I had paid 62k for this pulsar back in 2003, and if i can get at least half of that here, it would be a decent sale. But then want to check my options before i take a decision.

I can say for sure, the engine is in good condition, wheels are in fine shape to, Tyres need replacement, as they have seen really harsh conditions parked outside the house for over 4 years. Battery needs replacement. Am I right to say that i may have to shell out around 8 to 10k to get the basic things repaired/replaced?

If it can work out within 10k I would definitely go and get it fixed, as my usual usage is very less, that makes me not want to shell out a lot more money and get a new bike.

Just to let you all know, it has not run more than 19k kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 2298649)
If it can work out within 10k I would definitely go and get it fixed, as my usual usage is very less, that makes me not want to shell out a lot more money and get a new bike.

Just to let you all know, it has not run more than 19k kms.

If none of the major parts need replacement, you may be able to make it within 10k. Going by the first post the parts that you assume are out dont look to be major enough to not be available. Get it to a trusted mechanic and get the list of parts that need replacing and their availability. If they are not available then you may think about selling it.

19k is too young and i know how you would feel to sell off the bike with lot of emotional attachment.

I will suggest you to get a new bike instead of refurbishing your pulsar. Refurbishing this pulsar will be costly and may give problems in future also. A new bike will give peace of mind and hassle free riding experience.

A new bike would cost close to 70k, I need a 150cc bike at least, I am a BIG man and a 100cc would run out of breath pulling me. So 100 or even 125cc bikes are out of question for me.

This pulsar had been reliable the last time i rode it, I am too unsure whether it would be too unreliable as my driving will most certainly be limited to the city.

Here are the expenses I am looking at

Getting the bike by transport - 2000
General Servicing - upto 2000
Parts replacement - 5 to 6k

So a total of 10k approx, but then if i want to sell it in Bangalore, there are a few issues
1) Bike is UP Registered, selling here will make get me nothing, literally. I guess not more than 20k at max.
2) Condition isn't too good, and selling it after refurb would make no sense, it would be a bigger dent in my pocket if i do so.
3) I will have to shell out close to 50 to 60k for a new bike in Bangalore, and because I have another 2 wheeler, a Bajaj Wave (I don't mind it :) ) I can always fall back on the Wave when needed or if at all the pulsar fails after all the work i am going to do on it.

Do you guys still feel that its good to sell the bike in Bangalore (going back to noida and selling it is no option as no one lives there now)

I suggest you keep it. Even I own the 2003 specimen and touch wood it has never given me any issues..

Very relaibale work horse and cheap spares.. I have the Kick Start version so minimal gadgetary and I like it that way, simple.. In a way, currently there is no replacement for the Pulsar Classic, all the new bikes feel flimsy and jazzy, this one was solidly built and suits a heavy built, even the FZ feels puny compared to this! And yes, the exhaust note is amazing as well.. The only alternative to this would be a bull, ZMA not preferred due to its fairings and stuff..

But my thoughts might be biased, since I own this!

Sell it. buy something else.

I would suggest you get a new one, with so many problems in your current Pulsar and you are not even sure of the mileage and any hidden expenses when you give it to servicing and refurbishing. Buy a new one and go for peace of mind.

So I finally decided to keep the Pulsar and had booked myself an RE Electra 350 UCE on 6th June, Got delivery on 26th October. Done the 1st service yesterday, and enjoying it a lot.