Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 21:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!

Bike service is due this Friday. 33200km done.

A few things,

1) The handlebar moves back and forth when I try moving it when the bike is stationary. Fellow members mentioned some rubber part that needs to be changed.

2) When I play the front suspension, it doesn't feel smooth. I hear some creaking noise.

3) I think the Coneset needs to be changed finally.

4) There is a lot of tappet noise. It is usually not audible under the helmet, but once I remove the helmet, the bike sounds very bad after a spirited ride. Tappets are set at 0.06 and 0.08/0.10. Either this is tappet noise or the cam chain gone kaput.

5) Bike feels rough in general and bike feels noisy.

6) Chainset might need changing. I have a Dazzler O Ring Chain at home. I want to use it with the new Xtreme rear sprocket and the Unicorn 15T front sprocket. Will the new chain fit over this configuration of sprockets?

7) FE has been good 48kmpl-49kmpl in city condition.

8) Bike turns off on slight throttle.

9) Regarding the timing. The cam sprocket doesn't align perfectly parallel to the head when I adjusted tappets. It seemed to be the slightest bit off the mark. Is this a cause for concern?

10) It's been close to 4 years since I bought the bike. Is it about time I changed the rubber?

I'd like every issue to be fixed. I'd really appreciate some detailed answers.

Also, anything else that needs to be checked up at 33200km? Daily commute is ~35km in peak hour traffic.

Thanks guys.
Old 25th March 2015, 23:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

A small little update on the bike.

It is currently at 36980km. A service is due soon.

Recently, when I had gone to a local mech to get the chain tightened, the said the chain had reached the end of its life and needs to be changed. Yet, the chain could be tightened. But I guess that is it. Will need to be changed.

I will be using the Dazzler's chain which I bought some years ago. :P Along with the Unicorn's 15T front sprocket and the stock rear sprocket.

Apart from that, no real issues. The bike has been consistently churning out 45kmpl to the litre. Which is reasonable enough given the traffic conditions to my workplace.

The rear brakes seem to have lost their bite completely. Not sure what the issue is, there is still a lot of pad left.

During the past 3500km, I had only 1 issue. The hex bolts of the lock barrel were loosened, causing the bike to not handle lock. Got this changed at the ASC for Rs. 44.

Only trouble I seem to have now is seemingly low acceleration. The acceleration seems to have dropped. But I am not sure what the cause is.

Also, there never was an issue with the timing. I was just looking at it wrong. :P

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 25th March 2015 at 23:48.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:43   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

Only trouble I seem to have now is seemingly low acceleration. The acceleration seems to have dropped. But I am not sure what the cause is.
Drop in acceleration could be due to a clogged up air filter or a Carb right ? Did you change the tyre ? After 4 years rubber will be quite hard and will need a change.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:45   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Drop in acceleration could be due to a clogged up air filter or a Carb right ? Did you change the tyre ? After 4 years rubber will be quite hard and will need a change.
The Air Filter was cleaned recently. The Carb, well, I clean it, and I don't see much of a difference.

As for the tyre, no haven't changed it yet. Still considering if I should.
Old 26th March 2015, 17:48   #110
BHPian

Quote:
The Air Filter was cleaned recently. The Carb, well, I clean it, and I don't see much of a difference.

As for the tyre, no haven't changed it yet. Still considering if I should.
Inspect your tyre closely , if you see some small cracks , you might want to consider changing it.
Old 26th March 2015, 23:00   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rear brakes seem to have lost their bite completely. Not sure what the issue is, there is still a lot of shoe left.
When was the last time you changed the brake pad (time / mileage) I doubt the brake friction material turned harder. I'm using ASK brand for more than 4 years and very much satisfied with it's performance on various bikes. IMO they are consistent in performance when compared with few OE parts.

Quote:
Choked air filter?
Old 26th March 2015, 23:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
When was the last time you changed the brake pad (time / mileage) I doubt the brake friction material turned harder. I'm using ASK brand for more than 4 years and very much satisfied with it's performance on various bikes. IMO they are consistent in performance when compared with few OE parts.

Choked air filter?
The brake pads were changed a few months ago. I feel it might be some of the WD40 I end up using on my bike might have found its way onto the pads.

The air filter is new. So it cannot possibly be the air filter. :(
Old 6th April 2015, 14:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

So, the service was as follows:

New Chain Sprocket kit: I am using the O-Ring chain from the Dazzler along with the 15T front sprocket of the Unicorn and the 42T of the Dazzler. This ratio of 2.8(42/15) is much higher compared to the stock 3.07(43/14). But with the big bore, it seems to work quite well.

A few issues this time around though, post the service, I got down to tinkering with the bike again as I felt the acceleration was still low.

Opened up the carb to clean the slow jet and found some dirty lying in the Float Bowl of the carb. Cleaned up the slow jet that appeared to be clogged and cleaned up the Float Bowl. Then I proceeded to adjust the tappets as they were noisy. Tightened the exhaust tappet a bit to 0.10mm and then loosened the inlet tappet by 0.01mm as I felt it was causing the low acceleration. I then put everything back together.

Fast forward to this morning. On my ride to office, I could feel the bike sputtering as if there is no fuel between 1000 and 3000RPM. Barely any torque, but beyond 3500RPM, the bike behaves fine. Also, terrible tappet noise owing to the slightly loosened Inlet tappet.

Would really like some help.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update.

A very odd one at that.

I filled Speed petrol costing Rs. 75.3 per litre worth Rs. 500 a few days ago.

The attender put the nozzle into the fuel tank and tried filling fuel, the meter wouldn't move from 0. So he asked me to try at a different dispenser. At the other dispenser, I got the fuel.

So, for the Rs. 500 fuel, I travelled 349.4km.

That amounts to a mileage of 52.6kmpl in hopeless Bangalore traffic and roads!

I wonder if the first dispenser ended up giving me some fuel after all? Or has my FE shot up after a little maintenance of the chain?

With the new sprocket config, here are the speeds I have observed,

5 gear:

4k RPM - 54kmph
5k RPM - 68mph

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th May 2015 at 12:47.
Old 28th July 2015, 15:57   #115
Senior - BHPian

So here's another update.

40,000km up!

As usual, a service is due. Here are the issues I face:

1) Tappet noise even if I keep at the tappets at 0.06mm and 0.10mm while the factory recommended setting is 0.10mm and 0.12mm.
2) A very creaky front end. Brakes and the steerer tube, both.
3) A very hard clutch cable.
4) Lack of outright performance in the bike
5) Bike stalling while idling. Carb and petrol tank needs to be cleaned.
6) Going to get the mesh seat cover fit!

Anything else I will need to check up on; considering 40000km is done?

Camshaft and rocker arms were changed not too long ago. But performance definitely seems to have taken a hit. FE has been good. ~45kmpl.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 28th July 2015 at 15:58.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

So my mechanic just called, he said the starter motor has gone kaput.

So a replacement will cost >Rs. 2000 while a repair will cost around Rs. 650. So I asked him to go ahead with a repair as he said it would work for another two years or so.

Other things that need replacing are front disk pads and the clutch cable. The clutch cable was very, very hard. It would be a pain riding in traffic with it.

He is yet to open up the engine and find the cause for the lingering tappet noise and decreased performance. Clutch plates, perhaps?
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Another update on my bike:

I got it back from the 1st of 2 services in the last week on Wednesday.

Things that were changed:
1) Starter motor - Repaired - Rs. 780
2) Clutch cable
3) Front disk pads
4) Mesh seat cover

Though I specifically asked him to get the noise from the engine checked up, he did not. And when I asked him to change the cam chain, he kept reiterating that the cam chain was fine and didn't require changing.

At this point, I was tired. I have been riding the bike for a year with this noise and I had had enough.

Posted a thread here, on TBHP, www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/166623-tappet-noise-40000km-run-hero-honda-hunk.htmlAnd got a PM from barcalad to check out Unique Bike Service in Bangalore. I had heard a lot of good things about this place earlier. Head out there on Saturday armed with the knowledge that a cam chain change shouldn't cost >Rs. 1000.

As soon as I got to Unique Bike Service, I was met my Mr. Nayeem. He asked me what the problem was, I started the bike and let him hear the noise. Him and a mechanic there immediately pointed out that the cam chain had gone kaput.

When I asked him how much it would cost to replace, he said Rs. 3000 - Rs. 4000! :eek

When I asked him why. He told me that he will change the cam chain, cam chain guides, tensioner, valves, overhaul the head and will lap the valves as well. Given the extensive work, I felt the cost was justified as long as the noise is gone and preventive measures are taken up.

I was asked to collect it on Sunday. I was nervous as this was my first experience at the service center. I went there on Sunday evening and I saw my bike ready for delivery.

Total cost was Rs. 3,008. This included a spark plug change and an engine oil change along with 3M oil additive and new piston rings.

And when I rode the bike, it felt smoother; as it should. But I could believe the noise was gone only after a decently long ride.

I spoke to Mr. Nayeem again who told me that the bore was a little scored and that the crankshaft bearing had developed a little play due to the loose cam chain that was causing a little noise as well.

He told me that I will need a new bore down the lane and also get the camshaft bearings changed to make my bike as good as new.

In all of this, I am beginning to believe that perhaps the big bore has resulted in accelerated wearing of parts in the engine. This was essentially a half overhaul of the engine. And 40000km is too early for that kind of work on a Honda engine.

As for the earlier noise, it is completely gone and the tappets are making a slight ticking sound now. Which is completely, totally, manageable!

Hope no further issues crop up. Here's a shout out to barcalad for the referral and the outstanding reputation he has at Unique Bike service!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 3rd August 2015 at 11:35.
Old 3rd August 2015, 12:31   #118
BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!

Quote:
Hope no further issues crop up. Here's a shout out to barcalad for the referral and the outstanding reputation he has at Unique Bike service!
Many thanks, buddy.

I'm relieved that your concern is history now. As for Unique, it's the best garage I've been to till date. I hold them in extremely high regard.

Last edited by barcalad : 3rd August 2015 at 12:32.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:15   #119
Senior - BHPian

Well, looks like something is still wrong with the bike.

Post the repairs at Unique Bike Service, the noise due to the cam chain had vanished. But now, after around 500km, there is still a noise that is louder than tappet noise. But not nearly as coarse as the noise I had due to the loose cam chain.

When I asked and read around, it seems to point to an oil pump failure. The tappets are set at 0.06mm and 0.10mm. I am thinking perhaps this lack of oil pressure has caused premature wear and tear to other parts of the engine? Any information is welcome.
Old 19th January 2016, 22:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

So, a lot was discussed about the engine noise in this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-000-kms.html

In the meantime, on 20th January, 2016, I complete long, loving five years with my bike.

A person's first bike is very special. It holds a special place in one's heart. A place that can never be taken up by anything else. All these feelings are just amplified in a huge automobile fan.

Finding the right bike took a few weeks. A number of test rides and pouring over brochures.

Finally, I decided on the bike that the heart and the head wanted - The Hero Honda Hunk.

I still remember waking up at 5:30AM on 20th January, 2011 and aimlessly staring into my compound. Dreaming about how the compound would look when a bike I could call my own would be parked inside it.

The battle between black and red was long drawn. Finally decided on black and then headed to Prakash Motors. That feeling will never come back. No words can describe the excitement, the enthusiasm that filled me that day.

Was accompanied by my best friend, my mom and my brother to make the booking.

Got the bike that evening and I thumbed the electric starter, as the engine thrummed away, I smiled. This was my bike. My own.

As I started moving, I glanced over at a friend who had accompanied me during the booking and the delivery. He gave me a thumbs up. I had never felt more content.

While I was getting the registration number, I remember the feeling. It almost felt like how I feel during exam results. Nervous and scared. This number would be my bike's identity almost. And I got 3264. Perfect for the geek inside me. (32 and 64 bit )

Days turned to months and the months turned to years and the bike chomped up kilometers with zero hesitation. Be it a half day dash to Hogenakkal and back, or a laid back ride with friends.

As it stands, the bike has travelled 45,349km in 1826 days. That comes up to an average of 25km every single day for the past five years.

I share a special bond with my bike. One that has made me seek shade during parking, one that has made people scratch their heads in irritation and one that has gotten me in trouble. But it is a bond that I will never feel ashamed of or regret. Ever. As anyone who has asked me for my bike about what I feel about my bike. It will give you fair idea.

People say it is an inanimate object. That it has no life. But a look back at my best memories of the past five years and I will be hard pressed to find a memory where my bike is not involved in some way or the other.

We've had our problems. I've regretted my decisions sometimes. But I eventually understand that this was the best decision for me.

Here's to a lot more riding!

Five years old!

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-five.jpg

Magic of Formula1 Carbauba Wax

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-tank.jpg

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-tank-2.jpg

A parting shot of my close friend, my trustworthy steed:

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-bike.jpg

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-photo.jpg

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 19th January 2016 at 23:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks