Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 22:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!

Bought: 20th January 2011
Price: 77,371/-
Accessories: Seat Cover, Beeper
Showroom: Prakash Motors
Variant: Double Disk
Colour: Panther Black

OK, so this would be my first bike. So the research that went into the purchase was huge. The Pulsar and Apache were out at the very onset. The Pulsar because there's already one at home(My Brother's) and the Apache because I've hated it from the very first one with IE Surge. The other option were the FZ series. But never felt one with the bike during test ride. Anyway, down to the nitty gritty.

The new Hunk has only a few Cosmetic Changes.
1) Digi Speedo
2) Black Exhaust Cover
3) LED Tail Lamps
4) Differently shaped Visor
5) Comes with Double Disk(Front and Rear) option
6) Front and Rear Tubeless Tyres

I've done quite a lot of riding in these 2 1/2 months. And I must say, the bike is very good. Very smooth, gearshift is a tad bit hard but you'll get used to it. Very good acceleration, I'm generally first out of the Traffic Signal. Handling can be a bit better, the tyres generally don't stick to the road when you hit a bump at about 35 odd. But besides that, nothing to complain about. I've travelled 160km and 140km continuously on two different occasions.(To Manchinbele and to Nandi Hills) and the bike would cruise at 113kmph without many problems. Mileage is reasonably good, around 40-45. Which, with the sub-standard Engine Oil Hero Honda uses during their services seems pretty reasonable.

But if you travel with a pillion most of the time, be prepared to spend a bit on rear cushion as the seat is by far one of the hardest seats I've seen on a bike. Literally a pain in the backside.

As for the console, very neat. Semi-Digital. Digi Speedo, Analog Tachometer and Fuel Gauge. It shows time as well(very convenient!) with 2 buttons to toggle between the Total Km and the Trip Meter. Only downer with the bike after my first free service was that they've messed up my chain sprocket which they've agreed to change for free. So the bike does vibrate a bit now, but butter smooth otherwise.

Seating position, very comfortable! It gives a big bike feel. My brother's Pulsar seemed small after riding the Hunk!

For the brakes, Hero Honda has a long way to go to catch up with the likes of Yamaha. The rear Disc seems very good while the Front Disc isn't near as responsive as the Yamahas.

If you decide to pick up the bike from Prakash Motors, avoid any accessories. The seat cover doesn't fit perfectly. I spent 250/- in the showroom only to throw it away and spend 160/- on JC Road for the perfect fitting Seat Cover. And the beeper comes in Double Tone at its convenience.

Sorry for the bad pics, taken with a Mobile Cam(Noticeably Nokia's )
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-21032011146.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-21032011147.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-21032011148.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-21032011149.jpg  

Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 40,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!-21032011150.jpg  

ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:01   #2
BHPian

re: Hero Honda Hunk Ownership Review: 20,000 kms & 165cc (Joel'ed)!

Congrats Ashwin! It was a precise and well written review. Not many of HH Hunk reviews are available in here. But, I thought this bike had the best ergonomics and seating; you think its not entirely true for pillion?
Old 2nd April 2011, 05:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, having had owned this bike for nearly 2 years I completely agree with your views. Hunk is a great bike but under rated, have done many long trips with this bull, it is great bike for the highways. Congrats and enjoy your ride.
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:54   #4
BHPian

What size are those discs? especially the rear. Can we have some closeups please.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Closeups will come soon. I think front is 240mm and rear is 120mm.

And yeah, its not at all true for the pillion. Barely any cushion in the rear portion of the seat. :(
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

one of the most underrated bikes in India. I have always liked the hink- a true spiritual successor to teh original CBZ.

congrats on ur ride......
Old 15th May 2011, 22:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Finally, some much better pics...
Old 15th May 2011, 22:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Heads up, just did 350km in one day in the Hunk on a trip to Hogenakal! New top speed, 114kmph, could've gone faster, but traffic restraints! So if you doubt the reliability, do so no more!

Only issue is mileage with 34kmpl. Guessing it has to do with engine oil, will upgrade to Shell Helix or something and measure the same again.
Old 16th May 2011, 19:28   #9
BHPian

Been using the Hunk for close to 2 years now. I love the way the bull handles. Yes, the tyres are a let down somewhat but OK.

The braking as you mentioned is different from Yams and Bajajs but try braking in the wet and you will appreciate it. I tested this with a couple of friends on full kit (helmet, riding jacket, shin guards etc). The pulsar and FZ tend to lose their line under hard braking in the wet, but the Hunk does not lose the line. Very reassuring.

BTW, use the front brake slightly before the rear brake, this will help you better.

The best way to get better FE from the beast is to keep it in the 3500 - 4500 RPM band. You will get excellent rideablility and also FE if you do so. I regulary get 54-55 by this method. Of course, at speeds which you mention, you will get less FE. Oil is not the reason for low FE. Stick to HH 10W30 oil. I have crossed more than 20K kms on the bike and I have found it to be the better oil. You could try Gulf 10W30. PLEASE, dont change the rating stick to 10W30 only.

Did you break in the bike properly? I hope you did not over rev (cross 4000 rpm) in the initial 1500 kms. If you did, suggest you change the oil and also ask them to clean the filter.
Old 16th May 2011, 22:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

For FE, look I can't travel at 114kmph in Bangalore Traffic right? I don't really know why, but I've tried checking the mileage after going fast and going slow, but it's the same.

As far as breaking in the bike is concerned, not really. I did cross 4k rpm pretty early on the advice of a trustworthy mechanic who told me to open up the throttle early. As far as breaking goes, yeah you can apply it a bit harder with confidence knowing that it won't lock up the wheels. And the engine oil, I'm considering semi-synthetic and then shifting to fully synthetic in due time. It'll make the bike vibrate even more less. Considering sprocketing to increase top end, lets see what the future holds!

BTW, thanks for your input on the brakes!
Old 17th May 2011, 19:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
For FE, look I can't travel at 114kmph in Bangalore Traffic right? I don't really know why, but I've tried checking the mileage after going fast and going slow, but it's the same.

As far as breaking in the bike is concerned, not really. I did cross 4k rpm pretty early on the advice of a trustworthy mechanic who told me to open up the throttle early. As far as breaking goes, yeah you can apply it a bit harder with confidence knowing that it won't lock up the wheels. And the engine oil, I'm considering semi-synthetic and then shifting to fully synthetic in due time. It'll make the bike vibrate even more less. Considering sprocketing to increase top end, lets see what the future holds!

BTW, thanks for your input on the brakes!
Sorry, but your trustworthy mechanic has not given you the right information. Breaking in the bike is very important. Applies to any machinery you will ever use. This is a reason why you are not getting good FE. In any case, try using the bike at constant RPM for some time maybe next 1K kms. you will see improvements in FE.

The bike will automatically vibe less when you cross 5K kms. Dont waste your money on Synth oil.

When you say going fast and going slow, I really dont understand. Like riding at say 30 in 5th is not going to get you really good FE and neither is riding at 50 in say 2nd.

Try using the tacho to ride and change gears. Keep the engine between 3500 and 4500 whichever gear you are in. That certainly will help.
Old 17th May 2011, 22:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't need the tacho generally, instinctively shift at around 4000-4500rpm. Just have to learn not to push it beyond that. And not to worry, generally am on the right speed at the right gear. And Yeah, I already have taken your advice! Didn't cross 50 today! Really conscious about the FE now that petrol is 71/liter! Any ways to undo the damage caused by bad breaking in?
Old 18th May 2011, 00:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Any ways to undo the damage caused by bad breaking in?
I'm afraid not. Go through the article on Break-in link for better understanding the impact.
Old 18th May 2011, 21:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. Thanks anyway. I'll see what can be done. From what I know, my brother also over revved his pulsar in the first few weeks but now gets a mileage of 50. So, I guess a reversal is possible.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 01:47   #15
BHPian

reversal is not completely possible. What you can do though, is initially take it for servicing evey 1500 or so KMS. Oil change (not top up) do this a couple of times. During this period as much as you can dont exceed the 4K rpm mark.

Your brothers Pulsar is still giving poor FE (I am considering it to be 150). The pulsar is known to give upwards of 55. Also, the Pulsar engine is built to higher tolerances which makes it more friendly for rough use. The Hondas are very low tolerance, which makes the 'butter' smooth but also initially atleast you need to care for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks