Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2012, 00:45   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt

+1

My bike has cold start issue from day one. It doesn't start without choke (cold starts only). Earlier I thought I got a defective bike but after interacting with other ZMA owners I got to know that this is normal characteristic of this bike. My bike start with a notch of self + half choke open = warm up for 10-20 seconds and ride on.
Yes, I used to do half choke and ride for 200mtrs on my old ZMA. But now I am using ZMR which has no cold start problems, may be because of F.I. Imagine ZMR with no kick start and if baterry drops due to non start through self.

But I do not agree on cheap maintenance with Hero, initially service cost may be lesser compared to Yamaha. But later, spares will cost thrice to Pulsar's spares. Here superior quality of Hero spares to be noted, as we consume less spares due to quality.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Yes, I used to do half choke and ride for 200mtrs on my old ZMA. But now I am using ZMR which has no cold start problems, may be because of F.I. Imagine ZMR with no kick start and if baterry drops due to non start through self.
FI bikes don't have cold start issues because the mixture is CPU controlled.

Quote:
But I do not agree on cheap maintenance with Hero, initially service cost may be lesser compared to Yamaha. But later, spares will cost thrice to Pulsar's spares. Here superior quality of Hero spares to be noted, as we consume less spares due to quality.
May be Hero spares are expensive but they last longer than otherlds IMO. My friend's three year old pulsar's starter has already gone kaput whereas mine is still going strong. Same is the case with other parts. We all know Karizma has bullet proof reliability.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
May be Hero spares are expensive but they last longer than otherlds IMO. My friend's three year old pulsar's starter has already gone kaput whereas mine is still going strong. Same is the case with other parts. We all know Karizma has bullet proof reliability.
I agree with you on lesser need to use of spares due to superiour quality of spares. A karizma clutch plates costs Rs.1300 compared to pulsar's 400 or 500. But pulsar owner would have replaced 2-3 times against Karizma owner replacing once in 5-6 years. Also my friends Yamaha FZ service costs him Rs.1k + So Hero`s maintainance is far cheaper.

Last edited by HighOctane : 11th February 2012 at 12:27.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 16:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Overall the bike is cheap to maintain and run.
As long as you don't crash it
I spend much less on regular maintenance of the Karizma than the P220. Of course this was before the insane price increments esp brake pads. of course one crash managed to mangle much of the plastics and tank, so that cost a neat packet. Thankfully not crashed the P220 hard enough to find out what it costs to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Actually you should use choke everyday for the first crank, helps in the overall life of engine. Also make sure to use clutch while starting. And yes do give it a warm up of around 5 minutes, again goes a long way in maintaining good engine life.
If you're talking of electric start , then yes, but kick start works only in neutral with the clutch out. Kick starting on a cold start/first run also helps the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
+1

My bike has cold start issue from day one. It doesn't start without choke (cold starts only). Earlier I thought I got a defective bike but after interacting with other ZMA owners I got to know that this is normal characteristic of this bike. My bike start with a notch of self + half choke open = warm up for 10-20 seconds and ride on.
It's meant to be that way. The carb is tuned to run optimized for a warm engine, due to which it runs lean when cold, and you compensate with the choke.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the bike's insurance renewed from Reliance online for Rs. 820. Vehicle's IDV is now - 45,000.

My bike will turn three year old on 15 Feb - will post some pics to celebrate the birthday.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

My bike turned three years old on 15 feb. I did a detailing session using genuine Formula one liquid wax, here are few pics after waxing.

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-1.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-3.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-4.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-5.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-6.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-7.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-9.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-10.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-11.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-12.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-13.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-14.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-15.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-hero-honda-karizma-16.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 22:09   #37
BHPian

Hey, the Bike looks good even after 3 years. Well maintained but you need to use 3M Tyre polish. Dirty Tyres makes bike look bit old and when you apply tyre polish to the side wall, the tyres look cool and new and adds appeal to the Bike. Try out next time and post pic.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 22:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, the Bike looks good even after 3 years. Well maintained but you need to use 3M Tyre polish. Dirty Tyres makes bike look bit old and when you apply tyre polish to the side wall, the tyres look cool and new and adds appeal to the Bike. Try out next time and post pic.
Thanks,

Even I am planning to buy a good product for shining tyres.

I try to clean tyres as much as possible but they get dirty very soon. Will try tyre polish and post pics thereafter.
Old 18th February 2012, 07:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice, this is how my 7 year old Karizma looks like

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-1.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-2.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 10:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This is looking as good as new. Which product you use to maintain it?

IMO the paint quality of Karizma is also very good especially the black one.
Old 18th February 2012, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi
Really good maintenance for a 7 year zma. May be you polish her regularly. I do polish (3M wax) every month or at least once in two months. Will post some pics shortly.
Old 18th February 2012, 16:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Man I am feeling all nostalgic after seeing this picture, I owned a black karizma just like sunnyBoi's example for two years, did almost 40k during this time span.

What a motorbike! I have contemplated buying one again so many times but then make myself understand that it won't be a clever decision at all considering that so many modern and better examples are available.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

First Breakdown!

My Karizma suffered first breakdown today. The sprocket's nut/bolt fell somewhere while riding and the sprocket along with chain got out of the gear shaft. There was loud khat khat sound after which I took the bike to local garage where the mechanic replaced the nut/bolt.

Can anyone shed some light on why this happened?

Checkout the pics

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-img00347201203291359.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-img00348201203291400.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-img00350201203291400.jpg

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-img00356201203291416.jpg
Old 30th March 2012, 10:12   #44
BHPian

I've owned the 2011 karizma for over a year now. There have been no reliability issues till date. However, there is a strange amount of vibration from the engine. My brother's unicorn has a super smooth mill but in my ZMA, I'm constantly reminded of the presence of that big engine. Is it a common issue with the bike? I thought Honda engines are as refined as motors get.

Just fyi, I use only shell fuels. Looking forward to answers whichll help me overcome this problem.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
I've owned the 2011 karizma for over a year now. There have been no reliability issues till date. However, there is a strange amount of vibration from the engine. My brother's unicorn has a super smooth mill but in my ZMA, I'm constantly reminded of the presence of that big engine. Is it a common issue with the bike? I thought Honda engines are as refined as motors get.

Just fyi, I use only shell fuels. Looking forward to answers whichll help me overcome this problem.
Not sure what do you mean by strange vibes from the engine. ZMA is a bigger engine and it does make some noise, to my knowledge those clinging noise is heard. How many kms has it done? Engine oil to an extent could reduce the vibes. Will look into this further from your response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks