Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 17:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Well, I had mentioned this to the service guys. They did adjust a little excess play in the clutch lever. The dealer changed the oil in the last service, I am still going through free services, I guess I can change over to this other oil after I have completed all the free services. Thanks for your advice though.
Let me answer point by point.

1. I doubt if the service guy had adjusted the ply correct unless he had done it in your presence. The service guys got some targets to complete for the day so most of the time they rush and even go to an extent of saying it is all done when nothing was performed.

2. You don't have to wait for the free service to get over to change the oil.
What you can do is, drain the stock oil and keep it aside and run on 20w40 mineral. When it is 1.5-2k or whenever it is due change to stock oil and give it for service. Infact those service guys will never know what oil is inside.

FYI... whenever they bill for oil change during the service, most of the time it is only oil top-up they do!! Unless they do at your presence. That's the reason I always insist not to change the oil as I do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I had an impression in my mind that using synthetic oils improves gear shifts as compared to mineral oils?
Partially correct. Gear shifts smoothness can be felt even while going higher grade too. Mineral oils do give the viscosity to an extent however, synthetic oils last bit more.
Old 5th July 2012, 19:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

Me and My Karizma really belong to the Noble Gas group -> self satisfied , no other electron needed to complete us and always having a unique identity !

Hero Honda Karizma Ownership Experience-karizma.jpg

__________________________________________________ ______________

Had to make a trip to Hissar so before heading for this 350KM round trip I decided to get the engine oil changed. I went to HH service station but there was long queue so decided to get the oil changed from neighborhood auto care shop.

He stocks genuine HH engine oil and other parts like clutch/brake lever etc. I also decided to change the horns. He charged me Rs. 200 for engine oil + Rs. 400 for Halex Vibrodeluxe twin horns including relay + Rs. 50 for quick tune up like clutch/brake/chain adjustment/new horn fitting. So total cost 650 and all this work done in less than 1 hour whereas HH service guy must have taken over 4-5 hours for this job.

Feels like I never should go to HH service station again and instead get the bike serviced from the neighborhood auto care shop which charges less money, saves time and use same HH consumables. What's your opinion over this guys ?

New horn sounds good and loud especially for highways!

So that's all for now! Cheers!

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th July 2012 at 20:08.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Had to make a trip to Hissar so before heading for this 350KM round trip I decided to get the engine oil changed....... What's your opinion guys over this?
When it comes to Engine Oil, would suggest you to go for XXw40 instead of stock HH oil 10w30. The stock oil tends to loose it's effectiveness after 700kms. Advise you to go for 20w40 or even 10w40. Especially for long rides 20w40 would be apt. Slightly thicker oil, prevents overheating and offers smooth ride.
Was using mineral 20w40 oils till about 10k kms and now shifted to Semi-Synthetic 10w40 and enjoying my road trips at regular intervals.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:13   #79
BHPian

Ricci, if you were to keep only one bike (between ZMA and P220) which one would it be and why? I am asking this because my younger brother wants to buy a new bike (he rides a '95 RX100 as of now) and we have narrowed down to these two bikes. Since you own both, I would be glad to get your feedback on both these machines. I would request other members who own or have owned these two machines to share their experience as well. Resale value and high costs of spares don't matter; bike's RELIABILITY does! The attitude (and the expertise as well) of the after sales service guys also is a big concern (I live in Delhi).

MODS: I don't know whether I have searched properly but I did not find an ownership report of the P220 or a comparison between the two machines.

Bluevolt: Being a newbie I cannot create a new thread so posted my query here; I don't intend to hijack your thread In fact, I am inclined towards the ZMA and your further insights would be helpful.
Old 6th July 2012, 20:27   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz Shah View Post
Ricci, if you were to keep only one bike (between ZMA and P220) which one would it be and why?
Before Ricci comments I would like to share my point of view

Quote:
Resale value and high costs of spares don't matter; bike's RELIABILITY does! The attitude (and the expertise as well) of the after sales service guys also is a big concern (I live in Delhi).
In this area Karizma wins hands down! It's not that 220 is not reliable, it's just that Karizma is more reliable than 220.

Rest all depends on the biker's taste! 220 is more powerful than ZMA without any doubt, it has few features like LED rear lights, back-lit switches which are absent in Karizma! Whereas the smoothness of the ZMA Engine is simply unmatched.

Many says that Karizma is dated but I say it is very near to the day when it will be called as a CLASSIC!

Other than this I suggest your brother to take a TD of both bikes - that will help in making the final call.

Quote:
Bluevolt: Being a newbie I cannot create a new thread so posted my query here; I don't intend to hijack your thread In fact, I am inclined towards the ZMA and your further insights would be helpful.
No issues mate, you are most welcome. We are here to give unbiased opinions no matter what bike/car we own (And that's for what Team-BHP was founded)

Everything in this world has it's own pros and cons - one has to judge which thing will keep him/her happy for long time. No one is perfect & That's a universal truth!

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th July 2012 at 20:30.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 07:53   #81
BHPian

Hello, I am having a Karizma and my bro a P220....in terms of service, refinement, and comfort, the Karizma is simply too good. When it comes to power and short city rides, the P220 is more easy to handle around town. The vibes on the P220 is irritating at times when you rev the engine. Recently we had a long trip to Ooty. I had a comfortable ride all the way, but my bro was complaining of hand and shoulder pain after the ride. He is very well built and is also having a better physic than me...
Old 7th July 2012, 19:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
When it comes to power and short city rides, the P220 is more easy to handle around town. ...

Recently we had a long trip to Ooty. I had a comfortable ride all the way, but my bro was complaining of hand and shoulder pain after the ride. He is very well built and is also having a better physic than me...
P220 sure has more power and wider tyres but on handling dept i think ZMA should be better in city conditions. I say this because a ZMA rider will have more upright posture which translates to more comfort in handling fender to bumper traffic. The wrist pain is also due to a more sporty posture on the P220: the weight of the torso falls on the wrist due to the forward stance.
Just my opinion.
Old 14th July 2012, 16:58   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Ricci, if you were to keep only one bike (between ZMA and P220) which one would it be and why? I am asking this because my younger brother wants to buy a new bike (he rides a '95 RX100 as of now) and we have narrowed down to these two bikes. Since you own both, I would be glad to get your feedback on both these machines. I would request other members who own or have owned these two machines to share their experience as well. Resale value and high costs of spares don't matter; bike's RELIABILITY does! The attitude (and the expertise as well) of the after sales service guys also is a big concern (I live in Delhi).

MODS: I don't know whether I have searched properly but I did not find an ownership report of the P220 or a comparison between the two machines.

Alright, if past actions are any measure of what I would do, I have sold the Karizma long ago and kept the P220. Of course, this was because the ZMA preceded the P220 by 4 years, and while I certainly started out intending to keep the ZMA longer than the 5 years I had it, a bitter experience with the ASC and HH's constant spare part price hikes changed my mind.

I have the old P220 FI version, the current P220 is carburated. I have never ridden the carb 220, but from what I hear it has weaker low end torque, slightly better top end with a 1PS gain, and taller gearing with 37-tooth sprocket ( 220FI has 38teeth ). There is also the steel braided brake hose which should offer better braking.

The choice between Karizma and P220 now falls to which you value more - outright performance or comfortable, refined motoring ; and what sort of riding you intend to do. Among the ZMA and P220 available today, I'd still pick the P220 mainly due to the headlamps and HH's pricier spares. Both have been adequately reliable for me, the ZMA only required a cam tensioner change other than consumbales, the P220 hasn't had anything replaced in the engine but did get a new headlamp under warranty, and new muffler (paid by me) when the old one had an internal corrosion related rattle.

The Karizma is more comfortable suspension and vibration-wise, the P220 offer better lights and performance. Not having ridden the SS-braided new 220, I can't comment on the improvement , but I liked the Karizma's braking better. Much depends on tyre grip. With premium 60/55 bulbs like Osram Nightbreaker, the ZMA's headlamp does close the gap with the P220, but the high beam spread is too much for my liking, I prefer a longer reach than spread.

Anyhow, today both are probably on the way to retirement , the ZMA might hang around a little longer as it still sells a bit, and the ZMR didn't prove as popular as the ZMA. The P220 though looks like will retire sooner, with the 200NS taking its place. In fact now that my own P220 is around 5 years old, I'm contemplating a change but the more direct equal replacement is still only a ZMA/ZMR/P220 , the 200NS is more like a grown up Apache RTR ; while the most suitable upgrade from a ZMA/ZMR/P220 is a CBR250R but it is pricey at 1.6 lac, so am in two minds.

Last edited by Ricci : 14th July 2012 at 17:03.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
If you really want the coolest pilot lamps, please read further. I'm not directing to any fake or chinese product.

Currently my ZMA is running on Philips T10 W5W LED 4000k luminous. Why 4000k? Ok, this is the nearest you get matching to your headlight. This is not white but brighter with traces of yellow tinge. There are 4300k Pilot lamps from Philips which outshines the headlight (if you are using Philips Xtreme vision 60/55w) hence look odd according to me.
This Philips LED does not come easy and priced very high and I got it shipped to India from UK.

Philips Vision LED W5W T10 4000K (Twin Pack) | Car Bulbs Direct

No mods required, just straight fit. I heard it is available in Mumbai while searching last year, however, could not get close to know more information so I ended up buying it online.

They are very prompt in delivery also got Osram pair of ordinarypilot bulbs for free. From making payment got the product in 8th working day. They are very attractive and would be a delight to watch the spread(in low/no light) on the ground.

Hope this helps!
Sriram, were you charged any duties by the customs? Also just a little confused here, do these fit on the main headlight or the pilot ones?

Can you show us some pictures. Will be highly helpful.

Cheers!
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Took the delivery of my new Karizma ZMA-R (Ebony Gray) day before yesterday. The first thing I did at the showroom itself was take off the saree guard. The bike is smooth and has a really comfortable ride. Cant even feel the small portholes. Gears at the moment is really tight and am not happy with the headlights.

I have a couple of questions on the bike.
1. Whats the RPM I need to maintain during the running in ? The Manual says 60km/hr which translates to a little less than 4k on the tacho on 5th gear. So I dont cross that in any of the gears.

2. I have a 55/50 or 60/55 headlight bulbs from my esteem lying with me after I changed them to better ones. Can I fit them on the ZMA? Will that do any harm ?

Last edited by Altocumulus : 3rd February 2013 at 09:30.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:47   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Took the delivery of my new Karizma ZMA-R (Ebony Gray) day before yesterday. The first thing I did at the showroom itself was take off the saree guard. The bike is smooth and has a really comfortable ride. Cant even feel the small portholes. Gears at the moment is really tight and am not happy with the headlights.
Congratulations on your new machine.

I too have booked the Karizma R(Ebony Grey) a couple of days back and now I am awaiting delivery.

Can you please tell me what the waiting period was for you for this color?

The dealer with whom I have booked it says it will require approximately require 25 days for me to get this vehicle.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Karizma. Can you share the final price of the bike with us?

Gears will be just fine after first service and Karizma is known for it's weak headlight. So it is highly recommended to change if you are a highway rider.

Quote:
I have a couple of questions on the bike.
1. Whats the RPM I need to maintain during the running in ? The Manual says 60km/hr which translates to a little less than 4k on the tacho on 5th gear. So I dont cross that in any of the gears.
Just ride sedately for first thousand KMs, don't revv engine unnecessarily, keep the revs below 5K and vary your speed. Also always use choke on cold starts.

Quote:
2. I have a 55/50 or 60/55 headlight bulbs from my esteem lying with me after I changed them to better ones. Can I fit them on the ZMA? Will that do any harm ?
No idea about this. Check if the bulb can be used with the existing lamp holder?
Old 6th February 2013, 12:16   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new Karizma. Can you share the final price of the bike with us?

Gears will be just fine after first service and Karizma is known for it's weak headlight. So it is highly recommended to change if you are a highway rider.

Just ride sedately for first thousand KMs, don't revv engine unnecessarily, keep the revs below 5K and vary your speed. Also always use choke on cold starts.

No idea about this. Check if the bulb can be used with the existing lamp holder?
Thanks Bluevolt

The final price was Rs 93480 including a one year extended warranty and Goodlife membership.

I am an occasional highway rider (at least one 200-300 kms ride a month), so I guess I would require to change the headlights. Also am planning to upgrade the tyres to Pirelli Sports Demons. Price quoted was Rs 3100 for the rear tyre 110/90 R18. Not sure of the front one. Any other good tubeless options because PSDs are not radial tyres but x-ply ones ?

I am sticking to 4k RPM for the time being, and have riden it just over 300 kms in 3 days. Actually, come to think of it, I am having issues of false gearing as well. Hopefully that too will get sorted after the first service.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 6th February 2013 at 12:18.
Old 6th February 2013, 17:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Any other good tubeless options because PSDs are not radial tyres but x-ply ones ?
BHPian Rachit Dogra has recently upgraded tyres of his Karizma. I guess he or some other member who has upgraded tyres in recent times may guide you regarding the same as I am still using stock tyres.

Happy riding!
Old 11th February 2013, 12:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
Congratulations on your new machine.

I too have booked the Karizma R(Ebony Grey) a couple of days back and now I am awaiting delivery.

Can you please tell me what the waiting period was for you for this color?

The dealer with whom I have booked it says it will require approximately require 25 days for me to get this vehicle.
Sorry snowmane. Had missed your post. There was no waiting period for me. I paid by draft and took the delivery within 15 mins without any prior bookings. I am still on temporary numbers. However the downside to it was that I got a 2012 manufactured one. So its better you wait a bit and take a 2013 one.

Sugata

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks