Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 10:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Cruisers in India - Do we need more options from manufacturers ?

Wondering why Hero Moto Corp never had a cruiser in their sleeve. They have surely neglected that segment.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The Harley Davidson 883 weighs over 265 Kg and its handling reflects this.
The larger engined Harley's weigh more and are less responsive.

Here in America where there are many wide straight roads, cruisers like this are popular but I question whether they are very practical for most uses in India?

I could have purchased a Harley Davidson but their massive weight and balky handling didn't impress me so I chose a Royal Enfield.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The Harley Davidson 883 weighs over 265 Kg and its handling reflects this.
The larger engined Harley's weigh more and are less responsive.

Here in America where there are many wide straight roads, cruisers like this are popular but I question whether they are very practical for most uses in India?

I could have purchased a Harley Davidson but their massive weight and balky handling didn't impress me so I chose a Royal Enfield.
Of course they are not at all practical for Indian roads, but we can have more Avenger & Enticer type options catering to easy riders.

Not everyone gets impressed by stunts shown in adverts and wants to race and squeeze in tight holes in city traffic.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

On a different but related thread of thought, would you be comfortable parking a Harley or a comparable cruiser outside some lodge on some out-of-the way road?

I remember being worried about parking my Thunderbird outside a lodge on a state highway towards the Orissa border a couple of years ago, when I got caught in the rain on-route from Ranchi to Raipur.

I love the Thunderbird, it's very comfortable on long rides and has taken a lot of abuse, but there are several times when I've wished it didn't look the way it did, attracts too much attention in certain spots; a good old Standard Bullet would have been better in those situations. Just thinking, how much more attention would a Harley attract there.

Though I guess if I had a Harley, I'd probably just keep the "touring" down to inter-metro runs on the GQ.
Old 19th August 2011, 05:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just guessing but I suspect that a Harley Davidson in India would be less likely to be stolen than almost any other motorcycle. After all, if a thief rode away on your Harley he/she would stick out like a sore thumb. Everyone they rode past would notice them.
They would be very easy for the Police to pick out because of their rarity.

A Royal Enfield or any of the other common motorcycles would blend in with the scenery and go unnoticed by most.

On the negative side, the rider of a Harley Davidson obviously "has more money than they need" and may be picked out by the criminally minded individual(s) as a target for their nefarious ambitions.

As for theft in the U.S., Harley Davidson is usually ranked 5th behind Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki but I feel this ranking is in line with the numbers of each brand owned and ridden here.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I am just guessing but I suspect that a Harley Davidson in India would be less likely to be stolen than almost any other motorcycle.
There is something in that line of reasoning, but I wasn't actually thinking about the bike being stolen, I was wondering more about people fidgeting with the bike, sitting on it, pressing the clutch and brake repeatedly, twisting the throttle, and the like. I'm happy to let other people satisfy their curiosity about my bike, I've had some wonderful conversations with perfect strangers who were curious about what I was doing in their part of the country. But when on a long ride, the bike is my only means of getting back home. My whole trip depends on the well-being of the bike. As such, I'd much rather have a bike that attracted less attention than more.

But coming back to the main topic of the thread, more cruiser options are always welcome. Would also like more "practical" cruisers, those meant for our non-GQ roads. And non-weekend-at-Coffee Day parking lots.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I fully understand and find that my Royal Enfield has the same "problem" here.

People walk out of their way just to come over and look at it saying things like, "WOW! I haven't seen one of those for years! Did you fix it up? What year is it? Where did you get it?"
and things like, "I used to have a 441 BSA! I just love big singles like that", and "That looks like my old Matchless! Boy there was a bike!", etc. , etc.
I've even had people waiting at a stop light in their car roll down their windows to start talking about it until the light changes.

Fortunately they usually keep their hands off of it.

Back on track: I agree. The more cruiser options available the better.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:08   #23
BHPian

Referring to the Delhi Auto Expo 2012, Sad to see just one option in the low budget cruisers segment, and from Enfield again. So again cruiser lovers are left with just 2 options i.e. the Avenger and the Thunderbird.

Nevertheless, i think Thunderbird 500 is a nice launch and much awaited.
Old 13th January 2012, 13:30   #24
BHPian

Let's ignore the Harley's and Triumph's for now, I think we need to focus on more practical cruisers, i.e. those in the 150-250cc segment.

Also, why do a lot of cruisers not come with a tachometer?

I would consider the Bajaj Avenger a near perfect bike, but I just can't imagine not knowing how many revs I'm doing, if not for redlining (who redlines a cruiser anyways?), then from the point of view of fuel-efficiency at least.
Old 13th January 2012, 22:33   #25
BHPian

Lack of demand for cruisers seems to be the reason for low number of options. Number of Avengers seen on the road is much lower than Pulsars, with similar engine and price range.

Also, I think that R&D costs of developing a new cruiser would be high, since cruisers are very different from commuter and sports bikes. Manufacturers probably think that the effort and money spent will not be worth it for such a small segment.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:38   #26

Royal Enfield really needs to come out with a twin (preferably a V-twin). Something like the Interceptor of yesteryear...
Old 20th January 2012, 13:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
Number of Avengers seen on the road is much lower than Pulsars, with similar engine and price range.
I beg to differ my opinion here a bit. Probably the reason for low numbers of avenger is because though i want a cruiser, i do not want a Bajaj. I will probably prefer same bike in Yamaha / Honda / Suzuki / HERO etc. (I know none of these names are hardcore cruiser manufacturers.)

Also, if i need a cruiser, and for some reason i do not like the looks or the low seating of Avenger, then again i wont opt for Avenger.

So basically judging the demand of modest engine capacity cruisers based on sale of Avenger alone is not right IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks