Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 03:49   #1
BHPian

Bullet 350 UCE Blues

My Bullet STD UCE has given me least bit of troubles till now when lack of good mechanics for UCE, here in Hyderabad, and elsewhere started pricking me right in the seventh vertebra.

My bullet was running fine till on a trip I gave it for due servicing to Bangalore Royal Enfield. Apart from pathetic service to me (imagine waiting for 6 hours for a car wash and what passes for Teflon after the bike itself was serviced in an hour) they managed to put water in the carburettor that choked my love for a good period of time; managed to break the bend pipe clip that holds the silencer cover, dented the air filter box and chipped the paint away at so many places I can't bear to remember.

I was thanking my stars that I don't have to live with this service for ever. The damage, however, was done. The grinding sound that was not there ever does not go away now; just gets worse with every passing kilometer. Counting on my luck, I came back to Hyderabad and after a while went back to Erragadda service center for the service due. I asked them to check everything from the noise to regulars like clutch plates, air filter, brake shoes etc.

Imagine my surprise when my Bullet started dragging and choking itself after I received it back. It had to be revved so hard to reach the speeds at which I normally shifted gears. Imagine engaging the 5th gear at 35-40 when I comfortably cruised at 60-65 earlier. The engine heated up like I had just done Hyderbad-Pondicherry again.

She was recalled for further check up and it was found that clutch plates are gone when I had specifically asked if they were checked when I got her back after the service the first time. I was told they were fine.

Now, to my surprise, I was told that I was stretching the gear shifts too much and that I should not strain my Bullet so much. I just lost all hope of explaining that I have ridden her long enough to know what comfortable shifts are. I even followed the run-in period to the book and am the last person to abuse her. I have seen how people ride their Bullets but I am not a pusher.

Every single time now that I ride her my heart wrings because I know my baby is struggling even to make 50 in 5th gear. That's not how she used to sound. As a result, the grinding sounds from the engine are becoming progressively worse.

THE BEST PART IS THE EXPERIENCED MECHANICS WON'T EVEN LOOK AT HER BECAUSE SHE IS A UCE.

Thank you so much Royal Enfield.

Any pointers anyone...?
Old 13th April 2011, 14:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Bullet 350 UCE Blues

Hi atrocious, The so called authorised service stations of RE always make sure that you go back to them for some or the issues after servicing.
Last week I had given my Bullet STD 350 (CI) for servicing to RE service station and I was shocked to see it again when it was handed over to me. Everything from ignition timing, idling, A/F mixture adjustment was changed and the engine misfired a lot at low rpm. RE mechanics were unable to solve this. I took my bullet to an expert later and now it is in good health. The culprit was a leak in the intake path and in Pulse air valve.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:11   #3
BANNED

DISCLAIMER: I have no experience on a 350 STD UCE Bullet. But have ridden one extensively.

So my replies to your problem is some technical knowledge and some commonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocious View Post
they managed to put water in the carburettor that choked my love for a good period of time;
You rode with water in the carb? If so how long? Water in carb is a big big mess up. If the water has gone into the engine you need to be worried.

Quote:
The grinding sound that was not there ever does not go away now; just gets worse with every passing kilometer.
What grinding noise? When changing gears?

Quote:
Imagine my surprise when my Bullet started dragging and choking itself after I received it back.
What all parts did they change?

Quote:
It had to be revved so hard to reach the speeds at which I normally shifted gears.
Check your gears and clutch. Looks like they are on their last leg. Happens mostly if you are back after a long ride and then start using it in city traffic. I gather you had a long trip. Also were the above parts changed at the service in Hyd? Answer to my above question.

Quote:
Imagine engaging the 5th gear at 35-40 when I comfortably cruised at 60-65 earlier.
I didnt get this part? You engaged 5th gear earlier at 60-65 kmph but now you do it at 35-40 kmph? If it is that your clutch is not going to last for too long.

Quote:
The engine heated up like I had just done Hyderbad-Pondicherry again.
Symptoms of engine issues or is too lean (this could be the reason for the above too). Get the tuning checked.

Quote:
She was recalled for further check up and it was found that clutch plates are gone when I had specifically asked if they were checked when I got her back after the service the first time. I was told they were fine.
Have you changed them now?

Quote:
Now, to my surprise, I was told that I was stretching the gear shifts too much and that I should not strain my Bullet so much.
Premature wear out of your clutch. I am guessing you are within waranty and the service center is taking you for a ride here. Get the clutch and gear aggregates changed. Service Stations use the customer-at-fault line to get away with replacing such parts.

Quote:
Every single time now that I ride her my heart wrings because I know my baby is struggling even to make 50 in 5th gear. That's not how she used to sound. As a result, the grinding sounds from the engine are becoming progressively worse.
Something is wrong and I suspect the clutch. Get the whole package changed.

Quote:
THE BEST PART IS THE EXPERIENCED MECHANICS WON'T EVEN LOOK AT HER BECAUSE SHE IS A UCE.
Stay away from the Bullet gurus. They know jack about the UCE engines.

Quote:
Thank you so much Royal Enfield.
Contacted Royal Enfield with respect to their screw ups with your bike at authorized service center?
Old 13th April 2011, 18:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
DISCLAIMER: I have no experience on a 350 STD UCE Bullet. But have ridden one extensively.

Quote:
You rode with water in the carb? If so how long? Water in carb is a big big mess up. If the water has gone into the engine you need to be worried.
About 15-20 kilometres. They took it off after I told them repeatedly that something's wrong. This was in Bangalore.

Quote:
The noise is present at all times. It is like metal rubbing against metal, a metal grindstone. Earlier all it made was a faint hiss I have noticed on all UCEs. Now it is a proper grind from the engine, not from the gearbox.

Quote:
Brake shoe, oil and oil filter at first. Air filter and clutch plates the next day, after heating and straining was reported.

Quote:
Check your gears and clutch. Looks like they are on their last leg. Happens mostly if you are back after a long ride and then start using it in city traffic. I gather you had a long trip. Also were the above parts changed at the service in Hyd? Answer to my above question.
She's just 8K old and on the last leg...? Surprisingly, there were no engine or running related complaints before, during or after the trip. Trip was a year ago.

Quote:
I didnt get this part? You engaged 5th gear earlier at 60-65 kmph but now you do it at 35-40 kmph? If it is that your clutch is not going to last for too long.
My cruising speed was 60-65 earlier. I could go on riding without straining her for eternity at that speed, no RPM issues. Now when I try to cruise at 60 the RPM feels like what it would have at 70-80 before I gave it for servicing. The gears have to be changed at much lower speeds to keep her from screaming murder.

Quote:
Symptoms of engine issues or is too lean (this could be the reason for the above too). Get the tuning checked.
The heating up started only after it started straining and that's what I think the reason is. She has to make a lot of RPMs to do nominal speeds.

Quote:
The clutch plates were changed after I brought the issue up. I asked them if they checked the clutch before I had to give her back and they said clutch plates were fine.

Quote:
Premature wear out of your clutch. I am guessing you are within waranty and the service center is taking you for a ride here. Get the clutch and gear aggregates changed. Service Stations use the customer-at-fault line to get away with replacing such parts.

Quote:
Get the whole package changed at 8K...?

Quote:

Quote:
Contacted Royal Enfield with respect to their screw ups with your bike at authorized service center?
The thing is everybody says everything's fine. Who do you go to...? Who do you talk to...? There's not a single person who you can talk basic science to. May be you didn't align the rear wheel and the sprocket properly after fitting the brake shoe? May be you didn't fit the clutch plates properly. Clearly the motorcycle has to do a whole lot of RPMs to do corresponding speeds and that's what's heating up the engine compartment. I have totally given up hope on the noise from the engine compartment anyway. If they can't acknowledge a simple evident factor as strained engine how can I expect them to address something in the engine block.

It is like you tell the doctor the symptoms and the doctor says all's fine and it is in your head; in face of visible issues. I think I'll just have to live with it now and wait for her to die.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Quote:
About 15-20 kilometres. They took it off after I told them repeatedly that something's wrong. This was in Bangalore.

Quote:
The noise is present at all times. It is like metal rubbing against metal, a metal grindstone. Earlier all it made was a faint hiss I have noticed on all UCEs. Now it is a proper grind from the engine, not from the gearbox.

Quote:
Brake shoe, oil and oil filter at first. Air filter and clutch plates the next day, after heating and straining was reported.

Quote:
She's just 8K old and on the last leg...? Surprisingly, there were no engine or running related complaints before, during or after the trip. Trip was a year ago.

Quote:
My cruising speed was 60-65 earlier. I could go on riding without straining her for eternity at that speed, no RPM issues. Now when I try to cruise at 60 the RPM feels like what it would have at 70-80 before I gave it for servicing. The gears have to be changed at much lower speeds to keep her from screaming murder.

Quote:
The heating up started only after it started straining and that's what I think the reason is. She has to make a lot of RPMs to do nominal speeds.

Quote:
The clutch plates were changed after I brought the issue up. I asked them if they checked the clutch before I had to give her back and they said clutch plates were fine.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
The thing is everybody says everything's fine. Who do you go to...? Who do you talk to...? There's not a single person who you can talk basic science to. May be you didn't align the rear wheel and the sprocket properly after fitting the brake shoe? May be you didn't fit the clutch plates properly. Clearly the motorcycle has to do a whole lot of RPMs to do corresponding speeds and that's what's heating up the engine compartment. I have totally given up hope on the noise from the engine compartment anyway. If they can't acknowledge a simple evident factor as strained engine how can I expect them to address something in the engine block.

It is like you tell the doctor the symptoms and the doctor says all's fine and it is in your head; in face of visible issues. I think I'll just have to live with it now and wait for her to die.
Old 14th April 2011, 11:40   #6
BANNED

Quote:
So the problems have been there for a year!! Your trip was a year back and you had it serviced in Bangalore a year back??

Quote:
Hissing sound is normal. Grinding sound from the engine is not. If it is that audible you need to open it and check before something major breaks.

Quote:
They replaced air filter and clutch plates for engine heating? Did that help? If it did not, why didn't you report it to them again?

Sorry but your replies are a bit out of sync so its difficult to understand.

Quote:
You say the Bangalore Service didnt go well and that was a year back (on the trip)? These symptoms are being viewed now or are they there for a year??

Quote:
The gears have to be changed at much lower speeds to keep her from screaming murder.
So you need to up shift at a lower gear to gain speed? That does not seem right. And I am guessing you ride the clutch for this?

Quote:
The water in the carb could be the culprit. Get the bike checked and a compression test done.

Quote:
Ok so they changed the clutch plates after you complained again. If that didn't solve the problem did you take it back to the service center? What did they say then?

Did they test ride your bike?

Quote:
Your replies are a bit confusing. If they have already changed the clutch plates and the problem still persists there needs to be some more troubleshooting to be done.

Quote:
The thing is everybody says everything's fine. Who do you go to...? Who do you talk to...? There's not a single person who you can talk basic science to.
Ask these people to ride another 350 UCE and compare to yours. Like I said do they test ride these vehicles with you?

Quote:
Clearly the motorcycle has to do a whole lot of RPMs to do corresponding speeds and that's what's heating up the engine compartment.
This problem shouts out CLUTCH FRIED!!! Like I have been saying all along.

Quote:
I have totally given up hope on the noise from the engine compartment anyway. If they can't acknowledge a simple evident factor as strained engine how can I expect them to address something in the engine block.
Frustration is a part of these products. Been there done that. So don't fret. You will have to live with the product and the hard headed attitude of this incompetent company and its representatives.

Take them to task and don't blame your destiny LOL!!

Quote:
I think I'll just have to live with it now and wait for her to die.
Sell it. You are not man enough () to own a RE product.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:26   #7
BHPian

All right my man Spitfire. Here is a rough chronology to get it all in sync.

May 2010 - I welcome my Bullet

August 2010 - I do Hyd - Bangalore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Hyderabad

While on the trip, there was a minor issue of heating and vehicle pulling to the left. Made a stop at Thiruvanmiyur. The amazing manager and his trusted mechanic fixed both the issues. Minor tweak to the carb and the front end took care of it. She flew like the angels do; smooth. 45 kmpl

December 2010 - Trip to Bangalore and around.

Had to drive another vehicle for my rides post a horrible visit to Bangalore Royal Enfield. Vehicle won't start without choke, would die for an instance while opening throttle, and the average went down to pits. All of this in addition to what I've already said. The second visit found the culprit: water in the carb. Took it off, dried it up. All was well except the grinding sound that became prominent as the days passed.

January 2010 - Back to Erragadda Royal Enfield for a panic overhaul.

Asked them to check her inside out. Carb adjusted, average shot up. Noise remained.

April 2010 - 8K service Erragadda Royal Enfield

Asked them to look for long term part wear, specific mention clutch plates and rear brake shoes. I get the vehicle back, ask them what all they did and if they checked the clutch. Yes, we did, they said.

Horror, horror...! She's revving like hell forcing me to change gears at much lower speeds; an average of 10 km/h below what I used to earlier. Engine's heating up like I just stopped for a smoke after hundreds of kms of straight ride; in a span of 5-10 kms. Call RE, take it back the next day. Looks like the clutch needs replacement, they say. Change it then, I say, and take a look at the air filter too. I've been riding all over and may be it needs replacement. I wouldn't mind a 150 buck air filter.

Get it back again. Problem persists. I think either the rear wheel (sprockets) is not properly aligned or they messed up the clutch fitting. I check a friend's UCE Electra. The little clutch lever on the case is at an angle; mine is almost parallel to the case contour below. I loosen the cable it to a similar position. It rides a little better than before, but the little lever runs free till the position it was at earlier; clutch deploys after that. The wheel keeps spinning while on center stand with clutch deployed in the first gear. I think the residual position of clutch inside the case is messed up, that's why the free play.

Now... RE, destiny, and being a man. I am not an affluent RE owner who could take her to Chennai as that's the only place I have found solutions at so far. I'm a 9 hr/day, 5 days/week mule who can't afford that luxury. Now, given my absolute and firm conviction that the mechanics here are least equipped to understand and/or acknowledge, let alone resolve, the issue, it pains me to the core that there's nothing I can do for her till I find a way to transport her to Chennai, a trustworthy workshop that requires a 20 day advance booking unless you are on a trip.

Now then Mr. Spitfire, tell me, gods be pleased, what do you suggest I do...?
Old 21st April 2011, 16:06   #8
BANNED

WHOA!! Sorry dude, totally forgot to reply. So here goes.

Quote:
December 2010 - Trip to Bangalore and around.

Had to drive another vehicle for my rides post a horrible visit to Bangalore Royal Enfield. Vehicle won't start without choke, would die for an instance while opening throttle, and the average went down to pits. All of this in addition to what I've already said. The second visit found the culprit: water in the carb. Took it off, dried it up. All was well except the grinding sound that became prominent as the days passed.
Since water is heavier the carb would be flooding and so the choke helped. The engine could have very well sucked in water too.

I am surprised water stayed in the carb till you opened it again.

What did the Service guys say after they found the water in the carb? Did they just dry it and let you on your way? Did they check how the water got in the first place?

Through fuel tank or the manifold?

Why did you take the Bullet to the Bangalore Service Center? Was it a regular service (oil change, etc)?

Grinding sound is a worry. Ask them to open the gearbox and check and also the head.

Do a compression test while you are at it.

Quote:
January 2010 - Back to Erragadda Royal Enfield for a panic overhaul.

Asked them to check her inside out. Carb adjusted, average shot up. Noise remained.The wheel keeps spinning while on center stand with clutch deployed in the first gear. I think the residual position of clutch inside the case is messed up, that's why the free play.
Clutch busted, are you sure they changed it? Did they give you back your old part?

Quote:
Now... RE, destiny, and being a man. I am not an affluent RE owner who could take her to Chennai as that's the only place I have found solutions at so far.
The UCE engines are much better build then the quirky CI engines. No need to take the bike to Chennai.

The problem diagnoses is not good. Try and ask around for a good Service Advisor inany of the Hyderabad outlets. Once the issue is pinpointed replacing/repairing parts will set you right.

Quote:
Now then Mr. Spitfire, tell me, gods be pleased, what do you suggest I do...?
I suggest you not give up too soon. Frustration is an OE part on a Bullet. Its your hard earned money get the best resolution. Keep going back to get the resolution. Sitting on it and waiting for the bike to die will be a huge loss monetarily.

Also its a machine, unless it is proved its a lemon you have hope.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:19   #9
BHPian

Atrocious - Is there a way u can get it to Bangalore? (its about 6 hours by road on that beautiful freeway, load it on a good old MM540 perhaps!)

We'll get it fixed. Cant give you a cost estimation without first taking a look at the bike, but rest assured, and I speak with some experience, that there isnt anyone out there who has had as many issues with RE machines as I have, with every single one of them solved (and failed parts sometimes hung at the showroom or local mechs for posterity!!).
Old 21st April 2011, 16:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsOwn View Post
(and failed parts sometimes hung at the showroom or local mechs for posterity!!).
LOL, we need to meet. Where in Bangalore do you get then work done?
Old 21st April 2011, 16:47   #11
BHPian

You have a very short memory my friend, as I said in one of the other threads about knowing a few of the members here intimately We have met, briefly of course, and we should meet again, provided time permits you not having to run after Unimogs in Goa!

I havent ridden the Bull in 4 years now (its parked, to be given to an heir someday) but back when I had a few, I used to get them done at Anands (before he turned to the dark side), then at Agro (I dont remember but I am sure I was on crack those days, no other reason why one would do such a thing.) before finally settling for Ibrahim or Babu (ex RE mechs who went independent after 30 years of service..)

Hence I am confident that we can set our friend atrocious with a smile on his way provided he can spare just that little extra time and money to come down here.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:07   #12
BHPian

hello atrocious,
i went through your whole post and here is what i think/advise:-
As far as revving issue is concerned i think either its an erroneous tuning/timing issue , like in the old ci bullets when the mechanics used to tune the carb they used to fiddle with the carb pins, either that or check your throttle wire it may be stuck somewhere giving it a little pull that may also cause the rpm issue, i had to face this one on my avl500 anyway coming on to second part of your problem i agree with you it seems to be a clutch problem but maybe not necessarily the clutch plates, there is a lot more to clutch than that, i would suggest you to take your bike to the re service center once again and give the mechanic a 100 rs note apart from the usual charges and tell him to open up the whole clutch assembly in front of you, im sure you would find something out, now before anyone starts getting all worked up on my incentive advice, it is what i do and it works for me every time since the past 7 years or so, i do not condone what i do but it works for me, anyway im not a technically sound guy and what i have advised is based on my personal experience, these suggestions may or may not work for u so ur free to either work on them or discard them.
i wish you luck and friend i would also suggest you to maintain a record of every bill and visit and every penny which you are spending and give the RE a complaint letter in writing so that you have enough evidence with you that if in event you choose to move to consumer forum you will have substantial cogent evidence.
R.E. if you are reading this I am one of your fanboys and i have owned 3 bullets till date and though i have learnt to live with your products and its flaws and your semi skilled to unskilled mechanics and dealers who dont know jack about their product and its heritage i would urge you to tighten your quality control, its high time R.E. , we love your product but at the same time you are the only reason why we are getting second thoughts about buying your flawed products, treat us consumers with the same respect that we treat your product with, i guess you owe this much to us
Old 21st April 2011, 20:54   #13
BHPian

@atrocious, get in touch with bblost here, who might be able to introduce you to Sudhakar anna in Ranigunj. I have seen him work on UCE thunderbirds and is a very reliable mechanic.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
.... The little clutch lever on the case is at an angle; mine is almost parallel to the case contour below ... I think the residual position of clutch inside the case is messed up, that's why the free play.
Thats right, either they messed up the part assembly sequence, missed a spacer/ push pad or its a worn clutch actuation arm/ bearing- causing the operating lever (small arm) turn free so far. What all did they change last time? next time see the pressure plates & clutch wheel (on to which the last friction plate rests) also for wear.
These clutch units differs in set up from non uce's but nothing complex. If in warranty period, just insist on replacing complete assy with actuation lever.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:13   #15
BHPian

Thanks fellas for your concern. I think I should relate what has happened since my last post before replying to what you guys have posted. So here goes.

I went to RE to book a CL350. Prabhakar asked me how my STD was doing. I asked him to take a ride and find out. Surprisingly, none of those who rode it seemed to understand my logic. I told them the gear changing speeds have come down and the top speed is not what it was. [I hope you guys understand what I'm saying] They say let's ride together; and then they rip her open and say "See it's doing 60 comfortably". I don't understand their idea of 'comfort' for the bike. Once you have gotten the feel fo the motorcycle you ride and change by listening to it, and when I notice that the I get the sound (RPMs) of 70 at 60 and so on, I know she is straining herself. I told him "Boss, it will do 80 as well, but she shouldn't sound like this at 60.
This ride together happened after Prabhakar called the SC Manager and the mechanic, their best they say, to the showroom for a status report. As expected, everybody on their best behaviour. I was told to bring her back to the SC where they'll settle it once and for all. I asked them if he's working on any other bike and if I should come there in a while. I was surprised by the response. The bike on which he was working would be put aside for a while and she will be attended rightaway. Too good to be true? Exactly. It wasn't till after his lunch and sundry jobs that took around 3 hours after my motorcycle rode in the SC that he started working on it.
I didn't understand the rationale of it but this is what he did.

1) Opened the clutch assembly, separated the plates and sandpapered them. I was surprised why it was needed for a new set of plates. The reason: Why not?

2) Opened the gear case, spun them around. Forgot to tell you, a screwdriver is thrown between the teeth to tighten or loosen the nuts of the induction motor.

3) Removed the tank and the caps, hammered the rockers, loosened them and then tightened them back again. This was supposed to reduce the noise. Nobody, including him, had expected what followed. A hard kick, no life. Harder kick, much harder explosion from behind the air filter somewhere, or so it seemed. Kicking and kicking like mad but she won't come back. Panic around, fellows gathering and playing chinese whispers. Tank is removed, caps opened again and rockers and the L-type once again. She wakes up again. I was told they had been spun too tight. What i didn't understand is how tight could he have spun it when before loosening it he had to hammer them (!!!) loose, and she was firing up nice before that.

Anyways, she was put together once again. People were exchanging looks and looking at me through the corners of their eyes. Idling adjustment was shot up, carb adjuster was twisted way in. I didn't know what was going on. Engine was heating up like mad, but the auto decompressor wouldn't stop clicking. I was told everything's fine and it is the washing that has cooled her down. I couldn't believe my ears as the engine was good enough to cook my hand. I hadn't slept for 48 hours and hadn't eaten in 36. I wasn't charged anything and was told my satisfaction is supreme (???). What he did, in effect, was pulling things apart and putting them back and that's all. No troubleshooting, just looking busy; all for my satisfaction.

I couldn't go 3 kilometers before I could feel the heat through my denims. I stopped and loosened the clutch cable a bit and twisted the carb screw out to almost level with its opening hole. She rode marginally better. I sent them a text saying the problem has gotten worse and they have tried their best. I'm sending her off to Chennai. Got a call back to get the vehicle picked up. It was already 2300 and I said not tonight. I was offered a pick up Monday morning. It was Saturday. I haven't heard from anyone since.

So, for the bottomline, here is what has happened.

Visit 1: Go for a regular service. Come back with strained heated engine.

Visit 2: Change the clutch plates. Come back with strained heated engine.

Visit 3: Get the new clutch plates sanded. Get the engine rockers hammered. Come back with strained heated engine and starting up/decompressor issues.

A progressive worsening of affairs. I still have to cruise at 40-45 in top gear if I have to keep her from screaming and she still heats up like a flatpan. I don't think RE browses through these pages, do they?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks