Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 12:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Duplicate Keys, Remote Key OBD Programming : Key Master (Andheri, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Need the car of course...

3> Not to mention valets would have a field day.
Thank you! Can you please elaborate on this point? I'm confused which Valets
Old 27th May 2016, 12:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Thank you! Can you please elaborate on this point? I'm confused which Valets
What I meant (in generality) is that if a car was not required...the security risk to someone cloning your car keys is very high in general.

Anyone from a hotel valet to your car cleaner could then duplicate your keys without substantial effort or risk.

Nothing to do with this shop or vendor
Old 27th May 2016, 13:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
What I meant (in generality) is that if a car was not required...the security risk to someone cloning your car keys is very high in general.

Anyone from a hotel valet to your car cleaner could then duplicate your keys without substantial effort or risk.

Nothing to do with this shop or vendor
Oh that way! Got it. Thank you very much
Old 8th June 2016, 13:17   #19
BHPian

Got the body of key and battery replaced. Was done in <10 mins.800 (body) + 120 (battery)
Old 30th June 2016, 01:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Got the body of key and battery replaced. Was done in <10 mins.800 (body) + 120 (battery)
Not sure if your situation was the same as mine is, but still...

Right now my Civic's key remote circuitry works fine. The screw that holds the 2 face plates together and the plastic portion where the screw goes into ( inner side of the plates) is broken.

So i have 2 plastic face plates, the remote circuitry and the metal key all separate. I have kept them together using masking tape at the moment.

I spoke to a vendor on ebay who sells the shell which has a blank key thats fused to the shell. He suggested that i place the circuitry into the shell and get the key cut from a key maker.

Was this what the guy did for you? cut the key as per your original and then put the circuitry into the shell?

Last edited by nova9 : 30th June 2016 at 01:23. Reason: forgot to add images
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Not sure if your situation was the same as mine is, but still...
I spoke to a vendor on ebay who sells the shell which has a blank key thats fused to the shell. He suggested that i place the circuitry into the shell and get the key cut from a key maker.

Was this what the guy did for you? cut the key as per your original and then put the circuitry into the shell?
You can get a brand new shell ,circuit and key made for your Civic through key masters. You will need the car with you to program the key and it will cost you around 2 to 3 k and 30 mins of your time.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can get a brand new shell ,circuit and key made for your Civic through key masters. You will need the car with you to program the key and it will cost you around 2 to 3 k and 30 mins of your time.
The ebay vendor who i spoke to said that i should make sure that the key is cut on an original machine and not a chinese make as the chinese machines dont cut the key very accurately and it can damage the ignition keyhole after a few months of use (His opinion, havent verified the accuracy of his statements)

Have you made a key from these guys a while ago or recently? and any issues with the remote etc?

Thanks
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
The ebay vendor who i spoke to said that i should make sure that the key is cut on an original machine and not a chinese make as the chinese machines dont cut the key very accurately and it can damage the ignition keyhole after a few months of use (His opinion, havent verified the accuracy of his statements)

Have you made a key from these guys a while ago or recently? and any issues with the remote etc?

Thanks
I have had two made, a non remote and remote one. I am using the remote key for around two years and its working just fine. The plastic cover on one side however did break at the screw end but i replaced that side with the cover of the original Honda key.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 23:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I had a talk with the owner of this shop today, He said 4000 Rs flat and he will make a new key completely for my VW Jetta, He was very sure of the work and said he would need 1 hour to complete the work and would obviously need the car, Will keep you guys posted.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:29   #25
Team-BHP Support

My 2013 Toyota Camry key was draining a battery (Varta 2032) every 2 weeks. I set the car to Shinrai Toyota (Worli, Mumbai) and they insisted that they change the battery. That battery (a Panasonic 2032) lasted 3 days. Anyway I sent the car back to them today and they claim that the circuit is burnt.

How they can tell that I don't know. The PCB has only 3 active SMD components and 3 SMD switches. They said that a new key would cost Rs. 22,000. I was shocked.

I called Pintu Key Maker who told me that the Toyota Camry key is not available in the market and I have no choice but to buy the key from Toyota. Shinrai has asked for an advance of Rs. 10,000 which I will send to them tomorrow. Let see how this goes.

I believe Pintu only has keys for cars that have a critical mass of customers (Honda City, Hyundai Verna etc.) and not others.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 17:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I called Pintu Key Maker who told me that the Toyota Camry key is not available in the market
Why don't you look at options online? 22000 for a key is not just steep its daylight robbery.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2017, 17:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Shinrai has asked for an advance of Rs. 10,000 which I will send to them tomorrow. Let see how this goes.
Pardon my Ignorance here. Also, Please excuse if my post does not add value.

Autocop central locking system complete set costs around Rs. 3500. This includes 2 remotes + 4 sensors, Actuators and electronic module, installation and everything.

Can you not install autocop simply + get a Key from local key maker? And ofcourse remove the existing setup completely

Is there any special feature that you will miss with the above setup?
Old 21st June 2017, 18:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Engine immobilizer. These are programmed keys.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 22:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my Ignorance here. Also, Please excuse if my post does not add value.

Can you not install autocop simply + get a Key from local key maker? And ofcourse remove the existing setup completely

Most of the current gen cars have central locking/remote keyless entry/keyless start systems integrated to the Body Electronics Controller (BCM). This is now the norm even in entry level cars let alone D segment sedans. Earlier the system was different where the cars had a dedicated security system to manage these functions. This could be replaced. But when they are integrated into the BCM and other electronics of the vehicle, its not possible to install an aftermarket security/keyless system which will clash with the internal setup and cause issues like Immobilizer errors, etc. Hence this method is not possible.

An alternative I would give a try is Aliexpress. They have remotes of all kinds and the Camry being a global car, it shouldn't be difficult to source one for maybe a fraction of the price. I got new remote and key for my SX4 for 1.3k from ebay and couldn't find difference in quality between the OE remote and this one. Pairing the new remote was cakewalk while the Immobilizer transponder was just transplanted from old remote to new which avoided any programming work.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:10   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Engine immobilizer. These are programmed keys.
Exactly these keys not only permit entry into the car but also immobilze the car if the key is not present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Most of the current gen cars have central locking/remote keyless entry/keyless start systems integrated to the Body Electronics Controller (BCM).

An alternative I would give a try is Aliexpress.
Good idea let me try Aliexpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Why don't you look at options online? 22000 for a key is not just steep its daylight robbery.
I agree, Toyota should be lynched for this pricing. I can understand 5k but 22K is insane.

I used to be a Toyota fan (mostly for the reliability of their cars) but my last 2 experiences with their service have changed that.

Thanks everyone for chipping in. Let see where this goes.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks