Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 15:14   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)

Guys asking on behalf of a friend. Is it possible to convert a Tjet to CNG? Don't ask my why but would appreciate some help with this.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Most installers deny to get CNG installed in a Turbo perol due to complexity of the existing turbo engine which they don't understand. Some who agree to install dont have the expertise.

An old reference post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post856849

However, I had seen an LPG Skoda vRS in the times classified about 5 months back.
Old 29th April 2013, 21:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys asking on behalf of a friend. Is it possible to convert a Tjet to CNG? Don't ask my why but would appreciate some help with this.
Please refrain from converting a Turbo engine vehicle to CNG. Lots of complications I guess.
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post

I got a Lovato kit. I leave the car on gas. I think it may switch automatically. Other than that i run my car on petrol once in a while because apparently that helps the engine last longer.
e.
Sorry for asking too many questions but did you change your spark plugs after the conversion ? Which ones did you get? Also do you have any idling problems with the car?
Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 19:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to Mr Jain and he said that conversion of a Turbocharged car is not a problem. He has converted quite a few VRs'es and has also done a turbocharged Merc C200K last week. YES, you will be amazed but you read that right. A SUPERCHARGED C200 Mercedes, running on CNG. And it just flies!
Old 7th May 2013, 19:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Just got my Honda Civic Automatic converted to CNG at Suraj AutoGas, Bandra. They are an RTO approved CNG/LPG installation outfit.
Frank, Thanks for sharing this experience. My father too is pressing me to get our old swift CNG'd. Could you tell me if there is a loss in Re-Sale value of a car once this is done? Question for you or anyone else that can answer : ).
If things work out I'll get it done from the mentioned shop.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post

Frank, Thanks for sharing this experience. My father too is pressing me to get our old swift CNG'd. Could you tell me if there is a loss in Re-Sale value of a car once this is done? Question for you or anyone else that can answer : ).
If things work out I'll get it done from the mentioned shop.
Ok, now let's assume your car is giving currently fe of 12 kmpl which means cost of 6 rs per km. Install kit of say 54k then fe gets 18 km per kg. It translates running cost of 2 rs per km. Saving of 4 rs per km, in around 13.5k km you recover the kit cost. Drive another 17k km , it saves approx 70k rs, which in the worst case should be the affected loss on resale if you sell your car to a dealer. But going by current trend, it might also happen that you get premium of 30k due to cng fitted vehicle in such a case you save 1.2 lakhs in fuel for next 30k kms and loose out 25k on kit value . In short net saving of 95k.
Old 13th May 2013, 03:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Sorry for asking too many questions but did you change your spark plugs after the conversion ? Which ones did you get? Also do you have any idling problems with the car?
Thanks

No problem, no the sparkplugs weren't changed. I do have idling problems when the car is on petrol but works fine on CNG.
Old 11th July 2013, 18:23   #54
BHPian

Anybody has idea about vsi cng kits?

Read about it on certified cng website. Little I could understand was that it converts gas into vapor so uses special injectors

Apparently costs a bomb. 75k plus

Any one has any experience with these vsi cng kits or its just a marketing gimmick
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:18   #55
BHPian

All i have to say is WOW

Here goes my Saga!
Unfortunately i had been a victim of a bad install. The previous installer is located in Vashi. I do not think i should name him here.
The NG high pressure piping was haphazard. The pipe was held together by cable ties and was attached to different parts of the engine with cable ties.
The piping looked awful, shabby and was a safety hazard.
The filling valev and the reducer were on different sides of the engine bay with more haphazard piping and wiring.
The NG tank was making loud uncomfortable clicking noises.

Arun fixed all of this.
His team is extremely skilled and knowledgeable.
The redid the entire piping, welded a 18 gauge sheet of steel to the boot floor to stop rattling. He said the welding practice is common for swifts as the boot floor is exceptionally thin.
I do not have pics of the install previous to Mr. jains magic. But in one of the pics yo can see the holes where the previous filling valve was mounted.

If you do visit him, which i do recommend, you can give him my reference as well, (Shom) We spoke in length about NG vehicles, retrofitting, cars in general and team-bhp.

I would recommend suraj autogas to anyone who wants to retrofit NG
Attached Thumbnails
CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)-20130921_193808.jpg  

CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)-20130922_123122.jpg  

CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)-20130922_123128.jpg  

CNG Conversion: Suraj AutoGas (Bandra, Mumbai)-20130922_123135.jpg  

Old 29th November 2013, 18:15   #56
BHPian

This is a long overdue post
Here it goes.

The guys at suraj gas are good installers. Lets keep it at that.
There are some points that should be noted though.
They are horribly expensive.

As from the previous post, you can see that i got my CNG kit re-fitted from them on the 21st of September.

I went back to them around the 10th of November because of issues such as bad fuel economy and vibrations during idling.
The mechanic from Suraj autogas looked at my car and said very bluntly that my throttle body needs to be serviced. he removed the air filter, and then the spark plug to look at it.
He also said that i should replace the plugs.
he then proceeded to check for leaks in the CNG reducer.

After this, i had a telephonic conversation with Mr. Arun Jain, the proprietor who repeated the same thing the mechanic told me.
The shop manager then told me that i can have the throttle body serviced at their place for a cost of Rs. 1200 + the regular service charge( 450)

I decided not to service the throttle body from them because the cost they quoted was exorbitant.

Then the shop manager asked me to pay Rs. 450.
i find this outrageous and simply silly. So essentially i paid Rs.450 for him telling me what i need to do. The entire operation of removing the spark plug and checking the reducer for leaks with a soapy solutions did not last more than 15 mins.

The next day i had my throttle body removed completely, dismantled and cleaned with petrol. Costed me Rs.150

Bottom line is, these guys are horribly expensive, and sometimes this cost is not justified.

They are good installers, but let us not put them on a pedestal.
There are several other equally good and even better installers, who are still humble
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:21   #57
BHPian

An update regarding my Pune trip this weekend.

I started off on Saturday afternoon and that day there seemed to be some problem in the CNG supply in Mumbai. The pump at Deonar had low pressure. I took the palm beach road and the pump at Belapur was closed then went to Khargar only to find out that they also don't have any supply of CNG. Finally went to Kalamboli and the place just before the express way had the cng and got it filled there. Went to pune and after reaching Pune it was still showing 2 green lights. In pune also the shivaji nagar pump has stopped filling up for 4 wheelers . Then on my way back to Mumbai went to Hinjewadi and got the cng filled. This pump is opposite Marriot in Hinjewadi so you have to take a de-tour of around a km from the main road. The queue was not much so within 10 mins of waiting got the gas filled. The FE was approx 22 KM per KG. Considering the ghat traffic and pune traffic it was quite good. Came back to Mumbai and after bumper to bumper traffic from the exit of express way to belapur again got CNG filled at Belapur pump and got the FE of 24 KM per KG.

So the entire trip of Pune and back with roaming around in Pune ( total Kms approx 410 kms ) costed me 700 RS of CNG that too when CNG in Pune was filled at 47 Rs per KG. Couldn't expect anything better considering we were 3 adults and 3 kids with full luggage on both the trips and AC on all the times.

Couldn't find any performance issue in the ghat section while climbing with full load and AC on all the times. Indeed very happy with the CNG convertion done by Suraj Gas. Till today i.e after almost 10 months of fitting CNG , the owner of Suraj Gas Mr Jain still hears patiently all my queries and gives me undivided attention, now this is what customer service is all about. I will once again recommend Suraj Gas for all the after market fitting of CNG. My car had done about 18k Kms after the convertion and I'm totally satisfied with the output.
saurabhkum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 10:56   #58
BHPian

Long Term Update of 23000 kms after CNG conversion

It's time for me to update long term report for the installation done by Suraj Auto. It's almost 14 months when I converted my Civic A/T into CNG. I've done approx 23000 kms in the last 14 months. I must admit that the quality of the job done is Excellent. In this tenure I've done total refill of around 75000 Rs which means the running cost per KM is close to 3.25 Rs and this includes the Petrol cost also. The car is working in the same manner as it used to be on petrol. In last 14 months there hasn't been a single tuning issue or any kind of trouble related to CNG. The car has been serviced every 5k kms by Arya Honda and have been sent twice to Suraj Auto for routine check up. In the last check up the ECU was remapped to further enhance the performance as well the fuel efficiency of the car. The car is as rev happy as it is in Petrol and there are absolutely no performance issues in CNG. I can't even make out when the car is in CNG and when it's on petrol.
As far as the fitment goes it's perfect. No issues observed in this aspect as well. The reliability and performance figures are the same as it should have been with petrol.
Considering the cost of running, I would have spent close to 2 lakhs in terms of running the last 23k kms on petrol which means a whooping saving of 1,22,000/- . And these figures are with 95% city driving.
Also, Mr Jain the owner of Suraj Auto is always available on phone to answer all your questions and this I've noticed not only before getting the fitment done but also in the last 1 year or so whenever I've called he has always given full time to answer even stupid questions of mine. He will never be in a hurry to hang up the phone until and unless you are totally satisfied with your queries.
Though there might be few installer who do the same job at a price which might be 2-3k lesser than what he charges but I feel that looking at the complete picture it makes sense to spend 2-3k more initially and have a complete peace of mind rather than saving initially and then spending on multiple trips to fitment workshop for tuning and other issues.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 12:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Got back from suraj Auto with a quote of 47.5K for a 60 litre tank. Had a nice chat with mr Jain on the phone and he was very helpful with my queries.I was also shown a civic which had the kit fitted on it and it looked very professional. The engine bay looked almost stock with the only thing visible was the ecu and the feeder pipe for the cng gas.

I am a little concerned about the size of the tank of gas and about the RC booklet. It seems it's up to us to follow up with RTO as to when the booklet will come back to us once we give same for endorsement. Can some of the BHPIans tell me how long it took for the RC book to come back after endorsement.

Thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th April 2014 at 12:46.
Old 12th April 2014, 15:15   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got back from suraj Auto with a quote of 47.5K for a 60 litre tank.
I am a little concerned about the size of the tank of gas and about the RC booklet.
What is your concern about size of the tank? I think 60 litres means about 11 kg of CNG. If you average 15 kms per kg of CNG, you will have to refill every 165 kms.

Most Viewed