Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 15:19   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai

Basis some rave reviews from a few friends, I came across this company called 'The Detailing Studio' who've worked on a fair share of premium cars - including an Aston Martin, a F430, and of course the barrage of Mercs, BMWs, & Audis amongst others.

Looking at the reviews & pics, I was itching to try these guys out - and couldn't find a better subject than our dark blue A6 which was in desperate need of a good detailing!

Contact Information:

The Detailing Studio
Jay Divecha: +91-98194-99143
https://www.facebook.com/The-Detaili...8991019813542/

Services Offered:

They primarily do Interior & Exterior Detailing at your doorstep, however the owner - Jay, has worked for Audi earlier and can also help with some maintenance related jobs too.
I have only tried out their Interior & Exterior detailing, so will be solely focussing on that.

What I Like:

1) Brilliant exterior detailing! They got rid of the swirls, and did a stellar job with the colour restoration!
The car looks like it was just driven out of the showroom, and you will be hard pressed to tell that it's a 6.5 year old car.
The colour restoration has seen the lovely dark blue colour return - it is one of my favourite shades amongst all the cars we've had the privilege to own and now it's back to it's former glory!

2) Jay, the proprietor, is approachable and is there the whole while the car is being detailed.
He tells you what can be done, and what cannot be done at the start itself.

3) They get into the details, down to removing the Audi Alloy hub caps for a proper cleaning!

4) As the work is going on, Jay gives you updates over whatsapp.

What I Didn't Like:

1) The interior cleaning, though fantastic, could have been a notch better with the usage of a steam cleaning machine.
However, they managed to get into the cracks and clean out any dirt. Interestingly, 2 years ago a miscreant broke the rear side window - and Jay actually managed to find and remove a couple of pieces of broken glass that had gone into hiding all this while!

2) They're expensive, especially for light coloured vehicles & beaters.
For darker vehicles they work out to be marginally cheaper than Kamyo (who charge a premium for a dark shade).
However - this is a minor point, and for dark coloured premium cars - I am more than happy to pay the premium.

Overall: I loved the job. I have literally never been so excited looking at any car after a detail as I have with this job. As GTO said in another thread about the lack of 10/10 detailers in Mumbai - well these guys come pretty darn close!

No guesses as to who will be doing the 328i detailing post monsoons!

I'll let the pics do the talking:

1) Post-Detailing: Pic taken at 5:30PM
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0033.png

2) Post Detailing: Pic taken next day under afternoon sun - now you can see why I love the colour
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img_20180602_145841.png

3) Interior:
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0025.jpg

4) Alloy Wheel Hub Caps: Before & After
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0024.jpg

5) Engine Bay Before & After:
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0028.jpg

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0031.jpg

6) Fuel Lid Before & After:
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0029.jpg

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0027.jpg

7) Alloy Wheels & Tyres dressed and cleaned:
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img20180601wa0038.jpg

Last edited by lamborghini : 12th June 2018 at 15:22.
lamborghini is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 15:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai

Can’t say about interiors, but your car looks fantastic on the outside! Simply wow. It really doesn’t feel like 6.5 year old car as you said
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 15:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai

The detailed car simply looks wow. When looking at the pics, I could only see the car in Black until I read again where you mentioned its dark blue. Is it just me or others too felt it was a black car.

What are the approximate charges for various categories such as hatch, sedan, SUV etc or they provide the cost only on call? Do they cover the entire Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane region if they do doorstep services?
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 16:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The detailed car simply looks wow. When looking at the pics, I could only see the car in Black until I read again where you mentioned its dark blue. Is it just me or others too felt it was a black car.

What are the approximate charges for various categories such as hatch, sedan, SUV etc or they provide the cost only on call? Do they cover the entire Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane region if they do doorstep services?
Thank You,

Not sure on the charges for various categories - but he will definitely be expensive! I'll try and find out more on this.

As for the paint - it's a very dark blue, which is why I've posted two pics in the evening, and in the bright afternoon sun to show off the colour.

Attached two more pics post detailing - with my blue 328i as a reference point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Can’t say about interiors, but your car looks fantastic on the outside! Simply wow. It really doesn’t feel like 6.5 year old car as you said
Thank You!

Interiors would have been a notch cleaner with a steam cleaning machine in my opinion - but after this session, the leather feels clean and great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
IIRC correctly, the colour of this car is moonlight blue / midnight blue or something similar which is basically similar to the blue of the sky at night.
When I saw it at the showroom for the first time, it was the closest we could get to black, without it being black.
My review has some pics of the car at various points to help give an idea of how the car looked when new, and as it aged.

I had a word with him, his charges for hatchbacks: Rs. 6,000; Smaller sedans: Rs. 7,000.
SUVs & XL Cars are 15,000-17,000 (Innova, GLE, X5).

He will charge Rs. 1000-1500 extra if the car has any external paint marks (such as building paint droplets).
Attached Thumbnails
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-screenshot_20180604204227.jpg  

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img_20180608_123910.png  

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2018 at 16:31. Reason: Merging back to back posts
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 13:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

2) They're expensive, especially for light coloured vehicles & beaters.
For darker vehicles they work out to be marginally cheaper than Kamyo (who charge a premium for a dark shade).
However - this is a minor point, and for dark coloured premium cars - I am more than happy to pay the premium.

I had a word with him, his charges for hatchbacks: Rs. 6,000; Smaller sedans: Rs. 7,000.
SUVs & XL Cars are 15,000-17,000 (Innova, GLE, X5).

He will charge Rs. 1000-1500 extra if the car has any external paint marks (such as building paint droplets).
How is this marginally cheaper than Kamyo? http://kamyo.in/prices.php
It's almost double the price for XL sedans and SUVs

Frankly, I find paying 15k for a detailing job quite steep unless someone is doing it just once a year. I prefer getting it done at-least twice or thrice a year for all my cars.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2018 at 13:34.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 14:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How is this marginally cheaper than Kamyo? http://kamyo.in/prices.php
It's almost double the price for XL sedans and SUVs

Frankly, I find paying 15k for a detailing job quite steep unless someone is doing it just once a year. I prefer getting it done at-least twice or thrice a year for all my cars.
I was talking for my experience with sedans - the A6 worked out a few hundred cheaper than Kamyo, especially given Kamyo charges extra for dark coloured cars.
Given the 328i is also dark blue, as is the A6 - this guy will be cheaper for both those cars.
Old 24th July 2018, 18:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I was talking for my experience with sedans - the A6 worked out a few hundred cheaper than Kamyo, especially given Kamyo charges extra for dark coloured cars.
Given the 328i is also dark blue, as is the A6 - this guy will be cheaper for both those cars.
So he takes A6 in the 7000 bucks category?

Then it makes sense
Old 25th July 2018, 15:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
So he takes A6 in the 7000 bucks category?

Then it makes sense
Nopes.

The Detailing Studio took 10K (including GST) for a interior + exterior + engine bay cleaning of the A6.

Kamyo would charge 6500 for a super detail + 1500/2000 extra for a dark colour + GST on top. In the case of my gray C Class, I paid Kamyo Rs. 10,620 (including GST).

For smaller sedans too, Kamyo works out to be more expensive for dark coloured cars, whilst cheaper for lighter coloured cars.

However, as you rightly said - Kamyo is cheaper for XL sedans & SUVs/MUVs from the looks of it, though I don't have one in my garage to compare with.

We generally get the detailing done 1-2 times a year depending on the car & usage (the 3 & C get it done twice a year as they are used with friends & on longer drives a lot more often, compared to the A6 which is primarily driven in city with only dad and his driver). Interestingly all the germans in the garage are dark - and they look swell after a thorough detailing session, and I found The Detail Studio to be better at it.
If they were lighter coloured - I'd have probably stuck to Kamyo for the VFM + better interior cleaning.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th July 2018 at 15:10.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 13:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the C detailed pre-monsoon by these guys, and came away very impressed.
Brilliant colour restoration as earlier.

If the A6 is anything to go by, I expect this finish to last for a bit. Will post pictures of the A6 shortly as it's been exactly one year since it got detailed.

Since the detailing took place after the first round of rains, we sent it to another covered workshop where he has a tie up to ensure it could be detailed properly.

The interior A pillar also had some tough stains that I am happy to report as removed. Can't wait to give the 3 series and A6 to him post monsoons - he does a fantastic job on dark cars!

Only negative this time around is the increase in cost - a shade over 13,000, which is a little more than what Kamyo would have charged, but the car is looking brilliant with that much more gloss than what Kamyo.
Last year I had taken Kamyo's AMC which worked out significantly more affordable but given the low running - it didn't make sense to do it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img_20190615_114941.jpg  

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img_20190615_115031.jpg  

Car Detailing : The Detailing Studio, Mumbai-img_20190615_115006.jpg  

lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed