Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 09:51   #241
BHPian

Re: Trusted petrol pumps in Mumbai

Just moved to Mumbai and the nearest bunk selling 97 octane is the one in BKC. So promptly took the bike there to fuel up. Unfortunately, unlike Bangalore, the bunks here refuse to sell you the fuel in fuel containers/jerrycans citing permission issues. Thought of going 8 kms one way everytime from my residence to fuel up is kind of a nightmare.

Anyone knows a way around getting them to give me the fuel in my jerrycans? Also is this bunk 24/7 operational?
Old 5th May 2017, 12:05   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Anyone knows a way around getting them to give me the fuel in my jerrycans?
The solution for your problem might lie here. Amidst dissenting voices, you may turn out to be the first beneficiary on the forum of this idea.
Old 5th May 2017, 12:32   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The solution for your problem might lie here. Amidst dissenting voices, you may turn out to be the first beneficiary on the forum of this idea.
Read about this a while back. Firstly, I dont think this plan will see the light of day anytime soon through the red tape. Secondly, I dont think they have the required infra in place to create this value chain - logistics alone will be a nightmare for them. Still, hopeful that something like this can maybe exist as an option soon.

Until then, the harsh reality exists that I will have to find a way to get a permission letter sorted to allow them to dispense fuel into jerrycans. Guess, if they see me coming there more frequently, they will develop enough familiarity to bend the rule for me a bit.
Old 5th May 2017, 17:14   #244
Senior - BHPian

My trusted pump in Mumbai is Taximen Union petrol pump behind Chitra cinema, Dadar east.This is one pump where quality of fuel is good. Have been re-fuelling at this bunk ever since I started driving 15 years ago.
Old 5th May 2017, 18:01   #245
BHPian

A pump I have been using for maybe 15-16 years, is the Bahri BP outlet opposite K-Star in Chembur. I always fill tankful to tankful, noting the mileage with each filling and have found a consistency in my mileage in the two cars I have used in this period.
On the other hand I had a bad experience a few years ago with the BP outlet on the opposite side of the road, in line with K-Star. This guy's fuel counter definitely ran much faster than it should have and I have boycotted it ever since.
Similarly for the BP outlet below the Sion Circle flyover. Long ago, I used to use this outlet for petrol for my Padmini and never checked the consumption as it did not have a tripmeter. So when I started doing my calculations for the diesel consumption of my new Qualis and comparing it with the Bahri outlet in Chembur I found a gross error in the Sion outlet, so stopped using that as well, even though it's a stone's throw from my home.
The HP outlet on the opposite side, also under the flyover, is good though.
Old 16th June 2017, 15:12   #246
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on Essar petrol bunks? There is one on Goregaon Mulund Link road, was thinking of trying it. Has anyone tried it?
Old 7th August 2017, 19:02   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Oh the one you just mentioned is an IOC? Definitely a plus for my Indian oil citibank credit card refill.

I am stuck with Indian oils. Anyone tried Kotak credit card which claims to offer surchargre free fuel at all fuel pumps for above 400 Rs?
I had the same problem. Switched to Indusind Platinum Aura. No surcharge on transactions between 400 to 4000. Might be off topic, but reward points can be converted to cash against oustanding.
Old 17th December 2018, 00:50   #248
BHPian

Hey!
Any one here fuelling up from the Indian Oil Petrol pump in Juhu opposite the now defunct Juhu Centaur Hotel?

I filled up around 200/- approx 2.5l worth fuel in my bike as i had give it for service.

I am guessing the tank would have at least a litre of fuel in it before i refuelled

Normally 200 bucks worth of fuel would last me for approx 80kms but this time it lasted me around 50kms post which the bike started sputtering and switching off.

On full tank to full tank the bike runs for 300kms, the last time i filled in a full tank here, the fuel low warning started around the 190km and by 230km i had to refuel again.

Now with my car i follow a tank full to empty to tank full cycle.
City driving that gets me a average range of 400kms, since previous 2 - 3 occasions i have tanked up from here the from here i got approx 350kms only.

Now here is that catch, i have started refuelling IOCL Bunk at vashi (my work place) and i have got a consistent range of 400kms on 2 occasions now.

Anybody facing similar issues from this place??
Old 20th November 2019, 22:18   #249
Senior - BHPian

A well respected journalist was scammed for engine coolant by the IOC Bunk opposite Siddhivinayak Temple.

The story. LINK

She got her money back after she dug into the issue and contacted Honda ASC & confronted the bunk, but IMO the initial indifferent reaction of the other attendants shows that this could very well be a regular affair at the bunk.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:13   #250
Senior - BHPian

Conning gullible customers at petrol pumps is very common across all brands viz. HPCL, BPCL, IOCL, etc. One of the most common con jobs carried out besides adulterated fuel and shortchanging the customer for the actual fuel filled is selling of additives and COOLANT.

This practice of selling the Coolant as well as Engine Oil by conning is a racket of sorts in most petrol pumps. There is a BPCL petrol pump near Juhu circle who has been doing this since time immemorial (at least since 2005 when I started driving).

The modus operandi is very simple. They ask gullible customers (especially the aged and women) to open their vehicles' bonnet/hood to check oil and coolant levels while filling petrol. Sometimes they just look at the coolant reservoir and say the perennial words, "Saar/Madam the coolant level is low need to top up." They do ditto for engine oil as well.

Sometimes to scare the gullible customers while conning them they open the coolant reservoir cap and tell, "Saar/Madam see your coolant has become so hot that it is overflowing" It is but obvious that the coolant reservoir is pressurized and opening it will make the coolant gush out. Gullible customers being scared of seeing this ask these shady cheat petrol pump attendants to fill in new coolant thereby getting conned.

For engine oil they will just wipe the dip stick and show low levels of oil (believe me most gullible customers don't know anything about oil levels, heck they don't even know about Max and Min level reading on the dip stick). Due to this they get conned into filling engine oil unnecessarily thereby also damaging the car's engine in the long run.

Modern cars do not require topping up of coolant and/or engine oil often apart from their regular service schedule. I've heard Honda cars have coolant sealed for life.

There is a lack of awareness about cars among owners. Someone needs to educate them. Good that this article has found place in media.

IMO while the petrol pump attendants are at fault their strings are in the hands of Petrol Pump owner who makes them carry out such con jobs.
Old 21st November 2019, 11:31   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
A well respected journalist was scammed for engine coolant by the IOC Bunk opposite Siddhivinayak Temple.

The story. LINK

She got her money back after she dug into the issue and contacted Honda ASC & confronted the bunk, but IMO the initial indifferent reaction of the other attendants shows that this could very well be a regular affair at the bunk.
Thanks for the above GrammarNazi.

I had posted about the same issue at the same IOC pump on the previous page (post linked below).

It seems these guys never learn. I have since made it a point to not visit this pump.

Best,
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
This post is rather contrary to the title of the thread .

The petrol pump in question is the IOC outlet near Siddhivinayak Temple (goes by the name of Shree Siddhivinayak Services).

This is the day when I took delivery of my used civic. After a satisfying drive on the sea-link I decided to fill up at this particular outlet. Since it was near my house and I had read good review about it, i thought it was worth a shot.

While filling up an attendant asks me to lift the bonnet so that he can top up the windshield washer fluid. After he was done, he takes a look at the coolant and exclaims "Sir you are running on water, there is no coolant!". I was shocked at this oversight by the dealer who had promised to top up all the fluids before delivery. Nonetheless since it was a used car I decided to go ahead with a coolant top-up. After this shocking incident, I decided to call up the dealer to provide an explanation as to why this was missed. He immediately gets his chief mechanic on the line (he has a small workshop along with the dealership) and the mechanic states that there is CCTV footage of him filling coolant in my car and there was no oversight.

So about after a week, I decide to visit the same pump again (please note that the fuel quality seems to be good irrespective of their dubious methods). This time I overhear the attendants chatting (rather fighting) regarding how one of them didn't get his commission for the coolant that he had sold the previous day. Upon eavesdropping a bit more I figured that these attendants get Rs. 50 for every liter of coolant they sell.

Now this time again an attend comes and does the same act. I follow along to see where this is headed. He opens the bonnet, tops up the windshield washer fluid but instead of the coolant, this time he says "Sir you have no engine oil" and shows me the dip stick. Now I may not know a lot but what I do know is that the dip stick does not show the accurate oil levels when the car has been running for a while and is best used before a cold start. So I ask him what is the specification of the engine oil that he was recommending. He had no answer, all he said was its fully synthetic. So then I ask what engine oil is recommended for the Civic, to which again he had no answer. This was enough for me. I gave him a good grilling and this also attracted a decent crowd. A person right next to me in an A-Class was being sold the same engine oil that this attendant was selling me for my Civic. I informed him not to be fooled and knowing how the manufacturers are about warranty, they might void your future warranty claims for using the wrong engine oil.

Please note that apart from these dubious methods adopted at this outlet, their fuel seems to be good. However, I have decided to boycott this outlet.

You have been warned. I was duped, hopefully the same will not happen with you.

Best,
Enigmatic.
Enigmatic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 13:35   #252
BHPian

There is a new shell outlet in Navi Mumbai near rabale Station. Haven't fuelled there as I stick to my favourite reliance petroleum bunk at sanpada but my colleague does and is happy with the bunk. Its on Thane belapur Road, after you cross the police station.
t3ofil4us is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 19:08   #253
BHPian

There is a new Shell Petrol Pump coming up in Thane West Just next to Kawasaki showroom. Looks like it should be operational by February.
Old 16th October 2022, 17:08   #254
BHPian

Adarsh Petrol Pump on Nehru road, VileParle east has been my go to pump since the last 2 decades. My alternative used to be the IOL pump at the domestic airport but barely go there now. The staff at Adarsh is great and I follow a habit of topping up late at night which REALLY helps. It is mostly full in the days. They have now revamped their machines et al. Space is a constraint but they do their best to move quick.
Old 12th December 2022, 18:03   #255
BHPian

An update, a new shell petrol pump is coming up in Saki Naka signal. This is towards Chandivali, on the right side.

As long as you go after 11pm or before 7am, this is a good option.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks