Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Mumbai

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 12:33   #16
BHPian

re: Select Auto Garage - Sunil Shanbhag (Dadar, Mumbai)

Is he good with ford ikon? Just got a used car, need to so some work on it.

Looking at the comments he seems to be a very good honest mech.
Old 19th September 2011, 16:10   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Is he good with ford ikon? Just got a used car, need to so some work on it.

Looking at the comments he seems to be a very good honest mech.
He is good with all cars and will be upfront if he cannot get it done or has less knowledge. In those cases he will have your car sent to the authorized service center instead.
My friend used to maintain his Ikon with him, so you should have no problems.

A BEST bus broke my Superb's right ORVM Luckily the electronic movements are working fine. However the casing is cracked and indicator glass cover has broken. Have sent the mirror for repair to Shanbaug, hopefully he will save the day as a new one costs 28k !

Last edited by Sahil : 19th September 2011 at 16:13.
Old 24th September 2011, 15:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
He is good with all cars and will be upfront if he cannot get it done or has less knowledge. In those cases he will have your car sent to the authorized service center instead.
My friend used to maintain his Ikon with him, so you should have no problems.
thanks sahil, yep have given my car to him for repairs!
Old 30th September 2012, 14:20   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk View Post
The only issue with select is that it is slightly under manned and due to the lack of space, they take a while to sort out the car. Mine was there for a total of almost a month now.
What was the work done which took a month - i.e. just trying to figure when people say it's slow - how slow?

Last edited by carboy : 30th September 2012 at 14:23.
Old 24th November 2012, 21:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What was the work done which took a month - i.e. just trying to figure when people say it's slow - how slow?
He has less space and less number of people to handle fast turnaround. That said, he pretty thorough with his work. As Sahil mentioned, he'll say clearly if he can handle the job offered to him. He also like to ensure each and every job goes right.

He took more than three weeks to do my work - Timing belt change/injector cleaning/radiator flush/suspension inspection.

It's way more than the time required, I agree. But I'm happy with his work.

A friend of mine got a quote from Ford's A.S.S of 52K for total suspension job. A ford Fiesta suspension job for that amount? According to service station, they need to change almost everything!

With my reference he went to Shanbaug. Bill came to 16K.
Old 28th December 2012, 18:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Referred someone to sunilbhai last month. Did not have a very good experience. They took one month just for an ECU replacement job (which turned out to be a used one, despite requests for a brand new one) and no approval before doing this kind of work made this experience a sour one.
Old 11th January 2013, 12:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Referred someone to sunilbhai last month. Did not have a very good experience. They took one month just for an ECU replacement job (which turned out to be a used one, despite requests for a brand new one) and no approval before doing this kind of work made this experience a sour one.
I think he sends the ECUs for repairs too if required/agreed to someone in Santacruz who just repairs ECUs something similar to how we have mobile repair shops.

Last edited by dipen : 11th January 2013 at 12:46.
Old 24th June 2013, 23:23   #23
BHPian

I've been going to Sunil Sir for the last couple of years for both my cars; the 2006 Verna and 2005 Getz. Each time I go, I get an opportunity to learn a lot about cars in general as well as understand my cars from a new perspective.

My Verna wasn't in the greatest of shape till 2010, the ECU needed to be changed, suspension needed to be overhauled and I got that stuff done from the sub-par Mahindra First Choice.
But the car still wasn't doing too well. There was a loss of power, a lot of vibration while idling and rpm hunting while idling amongst other issues.
One visit to Sunil Sir and the car was at 95% of its brand new - post run-in condition.
Another visit later and the performance felt better than when I first bought it.
I now get the car serviced from him twice a year (every 10k km) and go to him if I have even the slightest of issues with the car.

Same goes for the Getz, the car ran as well as it did when it was first bought, if not better.

He makes all authorized service people and all look sub-par/

Not only does he and his team know there stuff absolutely phenomenally well, but they are all a joy to interact with.
He himself is an extremely honest, knowledgeable gentleman who is more than willing to impart information to those who are willing to seek it.

The number of drool worthy cars I've seen at his workshop eludes me, and each time I go, I get to see something which is a whole lot of fun.

I trust him with everything car related. I even seek his advice on buying a new car!

I wonder why people say that his pricing is premium? It is the same, if not slightly less than OEM pricing and the quality of work makes tremendous value.
I like the fact that he himself tests the car, assesses and diagnoses the problems and gives you a report. He knows and remembers every single car that comes to his garage, what parts were changed, what the problems were...

If I had to pick a grouse; it would be that sometimes the work takes a bit longer than scheduled, considering that he always has plenty of cars to attend to. But that's a complete non-issue considering calibre of the work that gets done and the amount of knowledge you gain in the process.

Getting your car serviced at Select Auto Works isn't a task; it's an experience.
mango_pal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 20:38   #24
BHPian

Since long I was in two minds whether to sell my fiat Petra or completely redo it. It needed suspension overhaul, denting and painting work, solving minor electrical issues

My main problem was finding a garage whom I could trust 100 percent, without having to go garage again and again
Main reason was due to scarcity of Palio parts and market being flooded with duplicate, used sold as new and refurbished parts

Finally decided to visit select auto. The moment I met Sunil sir for the first time I was quiet sure that my car is in safe hands, but still did not know what to expect in coming days. But future interactions with Sunil sir while the car was repaired I came to know he is a gem of a person

All you have to do is give him some time and place total trust on his judgement regarding what to replace or not, or what to repair.

Don't expect to get your car back in a hurry. My car was at his garage was more then three weeks I guess, but expect a top notch job

I would not say his charges are expensive. I have not gone through the breakup of the bill but the amount was less then what I expected. Frankly, I was expecting it to be much more reading few posts on this thread

One testament of how trustworthy Sunil sir and his staff is that after making the payment and leaving , I immediately got a call that I have paid 1000 more

Where in the world would you expect you to give a call back that you have paid more...

By December car will go for the required body and denting work

rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 11:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Address : #129 A, Dadasaheb Phalke Marg, Dadar East, Mumbai - 400 014.

Landmark : In the lane that starts from NIFT (National Institute of Fashion Technology). Drive into this lane about .75 kms, and the yellow gate/entry to his garage will come up on the right.
Is the address correct? Google maps returns this:

No. 129, Latiffvillaa, D Phaike Road, Dadar, Mumbai - 400014
India
+91 22 2411 4447

Can someone please confirm?
Old 24th December 2013, 13:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Location handy map below. From Dadar TT, go towards Parel without any flyover. Take first right and you will immediately see Pritam Dhabha restaurant. Go straight till Dadar railway station and take left. Now skip the first left and then drive for 60 seconds. Select Auto compound entrace will be on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Select Auto Garage - Sunil Shanbhag (Dadar, Mumbai)-selectauto.png  

Last edited by dipen : 24th December 2013 at 13:59.
dipen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 23:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Location handy map below. From Dadar TT, go towards Parel without any flyover. Take first right and you will immediately see Pritam Dhabha restaurant. Go straight till Dadar railway station and take left. Now skip the first left and then drive for 60 seconds. Select Auto compound entrace will be on the left.
Thanks for this. I was confused because Google Maps returns a proper result for Select Auto Works and says it is in Andheri West. While the location in the above map is completely different, which I will trust. Dadar TT circle means Khodabad circle right?
Old 25th December 2013, 13:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Dadar TT circle means Khodabad circle right?
Yup. good luck with the job.
dipen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 15:37   #29
BHPian

So finally I landed up at Select Auto on 17th May, with my 10+ year old Alto. It had just crossed 80k kms on the odo, and it was time for a major service. The car has held on extremely well over the years and does not show her age. Most things were fine as far as I was concerned. I was looking for the 80k service, plus a thorough checkup of the car inside out, in order to find any issues that may be lurking and could be a potential problem in future. Apart from this, there were a few niggles, listed below.
  • Front right power window winder would not stop when the glass is rolled up completely
  • Body noises and rattles, both within the cabin as well as outside
  • Gear shift wasn't smooth. Shifting into reverse would sometimes need more than 1 attempt
  • Suspension was suspect. I could feel the imperfections of the road through the steering wheel (could be a steering assembly issue as well) and suspension would make noises going over rough patches
  • Front cross member had rusted and needed to be replaced

Met Mr.Shanbaug. True to every post made here, he is a true gentleman, a really honest and knowledgeable mechanic, and overall an extremely sincere and pleasant person. While I was waiting for him, one of the mechanics came up to me and asked what the LTD sticker on the driver's door was about. I told him it's an online community of automobile experts and enthusiasts, and this is where I found out about this garage in the first place. He then said that he has seen lot of cars coming to the garage having that sticker, but never really found out what it was all about. It was kind of a very proud moment for me.

He sat in the car and started her up. Switched the AC on/off a few times, and kept an eye to the drop in RPM in neutral. Then he took her for a test drive, me alongside.

He said that the car is in reasonably good shape for her age, and there don't seem to be any imminent issues. He mentioned that the engine is missing some RPM, which is not normal. Also for a 4 cylinder engine, the engine note is a bit rough. I mentioned the suspension problem, but he said he couldn't notice that much of an issue. Still he decided to take a look at it. Apart from that, he agreed that there were a lot of noises and rattles.

We got back to the garage and he took me to his office. There we discussed the various jobs to be done and issues to be investigated. He made a complete list of all the work, and gave me an estimate of 10 days, quoting that most of the time would be taken to eliminate all the noises since that requires a lot of trials.

This was a saturday. He said he would call me on Tuesday/Wednesday after investigating the car and would give me a report and a cost estimate.

This was the problem. He would never revert back. I contacted him around wednesday or thursday, asking for updates. He said he would revert back by saturday. He did not. I understand that he is a busy man and has a lot of cars to attend to, but I think something as basic as this needs to be paid more attention to. I contacted him again next week, and he promised an update soon. Again like before, this did not happen.

By the end of the week, when I asked him for an update again, he said that the welding of the cross member is remaining. Once that is done, he would take a test drive and give me the report. In the next week, I asked him again. He said that he has taken a test drive, and is not satisfied with the engine's tune. He has performed a compression test, and while 3 cylinders are significantly high (200-220), one cylinder showed a surprisingly low reading (100 or so). He said he would check the issue and get back to me.

Two days later, he said that they have investigated all possible causes and concluded that the low compression is due to wear and tear. The car is ready for delivery and he would let me know the total cost in a day. He contacted me the next day (this is the first time in 3 weeks that he contacted me on his own) and said that the total cost was 19-20k. While this is relatively higher than what I was expecting, I had enough faith in him going by the posts made in this thread and did not think much of it. I was sure it was a justified cost. This was around 4th June. I was supposed to go and collect the car on 7th of June, but due to some urgent issue at work I was unable to go.

I visited the garage on 9th, and met him. He showed me the entire list of work done and the associated costs, as well as the prices of parts and consumables. Following is the entire list.

Labour Charges:

1 SERVICING & FULL CHECK-UP. REPLACING ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER. FLUSH RADIATOR & REPLACE COOLANT. REPLACING GEARBOX OIL. 760.00
2 TUNING UP OF ENGINE. REPLACING SPARK PLUGS, FUEL FILTER. OPEN & SERVICE THROTTLE ASSY. REMOVING & REFITTING INJECTORS. 980.00
3 CLEANING & CALIBRATING INJECTOR. 1180.00
4 REPLACING TIMING BELT & TENSIONER. REPLACING ALTERNATER & A. C. BELTS. OPEN & SERVICE GEAR LINKAGE & REPLACING BUSH KIT. 1600.00
6 ADJUST VALVER CLEARANCES. CHECK ENGINE COMPRESSION. 350.00
7 OPEN & SERVICE ALL FOUR DOOR GLASS WINDER & CHANNELS. REPLACING FRONT RIGHT DOOR GLASS WINDER ASSY. INSULATING ALL FOUR DOOR PANELS & DICKY DOOR. 860.00
8 REMOVING & REFITTING DASHBOARD & COLUMN ASSY. INSULATING AUDIO SYSTEM, AIR DUCTS, METERS. 1150.00
9 REMOVING & REFITTING FRONT BUMPER. REPLACING MOUNTING BRACKETS. REPLACING & WELDING FRONT CHASSIS CROSS MEMBERS. 1200.00
10 SERVICING A. C. SYSTEM, REFILLING GAS & SERVICING OIL. 1600.00
11 REPLACING GEARBOX MOUNTING. 450.00
12 REMOVING & REFITTING ANTENA & REAR SPEAKERS AFTER INSULATING. 250.00

TOTAL 10380.00

Parts:

1 FRONT ROGHT DOOR GLASS WINDER. 810.00
2 GLASS SUPPORT BRACKET. 112.00
3 BOSTIC 118.00
4 INSULATION TAPE. 161.00
5 TIMING BELT. 617.00
6 TIMING TENSIONER. 946.00
7 SPARK PLUGS. 552.00
8 FUEL FILTER. 430.00
9 THROTTLE BOSY KIT. 109.00
10 ALTERNATER BOLT. 218.00
11 AIR CONDITION BELT. 252.00
12 DOUBLE TAPE. 140.00
13 SCREW, BOLT & NUTS. 94.00
14 OIL FILTER. 89.00
15 GEAR LEVER KIT. 346.00
16 CROSS MEMBER. 1437.00
17 GEARBOX MOUNTING. 682.00
18 CLIPS. 54.00
19 BUSHES SELECT SHAFT. 96.00
20 BUSHES SHIFTER JOINT. 84.00
21 COOLANT CAP. 32.00
22 GEAR BOX OIL. 676.00
23 PETROL 1.00 LTR. 84.00
24 DIESEL. 1.00 LTR. 128.00
25 CARBON CLEANER. 184.00
26 GREASE. 118.00
27 ENGINE OIL. 1273.00
28 THINNER. 176.00
29 COMPRESSOR OIL. 322.00

TOTAL 10340.00

The total cost was 20,720/-.

I had previously asked him not to wash the car before delivery, being aware of the common practices how cars are washed in garages and service centers. Yet when I arrived there, a guy was already washing the car (scrubbing would be more appropriate) with a rag and a bucket of soap water. I cringed at the sight.

He explained all of the work to me, and mentioned that the low compression in the engine was nothing major to worry about. He ensured that it would not be a potential problem, until its time for a rebuild. Let me clarify here that I do not consider any of the work done or parts replaced to be extra or unnecessary. I am completely satisfied in this regard and have absolutely no complaints regarding the same. Also, the interior was quite clean, contrary to what I had been expecting by reading a few posts in this thread. However, the grills of the rear speakers had been removed and not fitted back. It was left on the boot floor. I later fitted them myself.

We settled the bill, and he said he would email me the entire detailed statement later. We had some minor friendly discussion, and I left soon. The PUC of the car wasn't done, so he sent a mechanic along who drove me to the nearby petrol bunk and got the PUC done. I tanked up at the same time. I dropped him off at the garage and left.

Coming to the car, the service done was absolutely top notch. It was a 100% dedicated job, and I cannot take anything away from him in this regard. All of the work was done with utmost perfection and with very high attention to detail. She drove smooth, and most importantly, silent. Gone were the irritating rattles and body noises, and the bumpy and noisy suspension. The gear shifts were slick, and the engine hummed almost melodiously. Let me reiterate this, the drive experience was better than what I had expected and I was happier than happy. The 1.1 Alto already has a very good low end, and these days it only seems better. To put it in perspective, I can strut along comfortably in 4th gear at 30 kmph and not break a sweat. The engine does not feel strained by any means even when the rev is around 1k. It kinda made me doubt if the tachometer was malfunctioning.

What I wasn't happy about was the way the exterior of the car was treated. There were quite a few noticeable scratches all around the body, with two major ones on the left rear door. Also on this door were some purple stains which would not go away with washing. Near the antenna on the roof there was a film of adhesive. The finish on the hood was in quite poor shape, with a lot of scrubbing marks all over it. This was very very disappointing and put me off completely. It was something that gave a bad taste to what has otherwise been a very good servicing experience. I had a complete detailed scheduled anyway, so with a lot of effort I was able to take care of these imperfections and restore the paint to good shape. However, something like this is totally unexpected when you give your car to be taken care of.

Here are a couple of pictures of the stains and scratches. They were more severe than they look in the photos:

Select Auto Garage - Sunil Shanbhag (Dadar, Mumbai)-imag0128.jpg

Select Auto Garage - Sunil Shanbhag (Dadar, Mumbai)-imag0129.jpg

Overall experience:

Positives:
  • Experience of meeting Mr. Shanbaug and talking to him
  • Attention to detail
  • Quality of work (100%)
  • Customer satisfaction

Negatives:
  • Lack of response wrt time or cost estimates
  • Poor care taken of the car during the service (and trust me this is a major point, something that I would hold against the place)

Final opinion: If there was 1 place in Mumbai I would recommend for mechanical jobs on your car, this would undoubtedly be it. The man does the best possible job, and charges quite reasonable prices for the same. However, I sincerely hope he takes greater care of the cars while they are there and this is certainly something I will give him my feedback on the next time I speak to him.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 20th June 2014 at 15:51. Reason: Added photos
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:17   #30
BHPian

Just an update here. Yesterday I messaged Sunil uncle about what is the oil and its grade that he has used in my car. He replied saying its Mobil Super 10W30. However, the grade specified for my car is 20W40. As far as I know, a 10W30 oil should never be used with this engine.

I can't believe that a person with such a high repute would really do this. I am frankly surprised.

Thinking of getting the oil changed at the earliest. Any pointers?

Most Viewed