Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 23:28   #76
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Awesome Review buddy. The Car Looks great . A very good replacement to the Verna Transform. I think this may be the i30 in the foreign markets.
Now this car should be a real competitor to other sedans. Hope they price it appropriately.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:28   #77
Team-BHP Support

Too many questions here. Let me see if I can try and answer some.

- if you drive sensibly without too many sharp maneuvers and can generally stay within 120 to 130 km/h band I don't think the soft suspension should be an absolute deal breaker for most cases

- under thigh support is more decipherable if you sit straight (as in one of the review picture of the back row). However if the back seat passenger can change his seating position to have some kind of a sideways orientation (I like to it like that at the rear, with right hand over the rear head rest, looking outwards diagonally whenever I find under thigh support is not upto my satisfaction) you may manage well for most part of the journey. The essence here is to carry one or max two people at the back to make the ride comfortable.

One disclaimer here though will be that such a sitting position may actually foul with the seat-belt arrangement and in fact may not be possible at all with the belt on. However, it is not recommended to sit without the belt. So ideally speaking you should sit straight, the way it is meant to be, support or no support.

- There is no rear AC vent and as far as I remember no rear power socket either.

- The rear window does not roll down fully.

- The car has two reversing lamps.

- The turning radius is par for the course and should not be a challenge.

- The company declared FE for the diesel is above 23 kmpl for the 1.4 engine and a shade below 23 for the 1.6.

- The rear floor hump is not very prominent and should not be an issue for most parts.

- The steering feels nicely weighed in for most parts and even at high speeds I did not find it so light as to be an issue.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th April 2011 at 01:09.
Zappo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 23:31   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally,after months of speculation,here we have an unbiased and amazing review.Thanks a lot Zappo.Now the big question is price.Got to wait and see.My brother has been drooling over this car for long,so am thinking,why not send him my Ritz and get this for me!
But handling is an issue which really might not bother people who drive mostly in city.Am waiting for a TD from my dealer,as of now no promises made.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

The features listed in this new Verna rocks, so many 1st in this segment, Verna would follow Vento sales figure if priced sensibly. Very intelligent move from Hyundai, small features like reverse camera, electric fold-able mirror will have big impact on buying lot. A reverse camera factory fitted might cost just 1-2k for Hyundai, but will leave considerable impact on a potential buyer.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:41   #80
BHPian

Re: Interiors and Features

Quote:
Look how low the rear seat is placed. Rear legroom is decent, though under-thigh support is lacking:

Rear seat is wide enough for 3. Transmission hump on the floor isn't a bother either:
Thanks for the great review and pictures.

How comfortable is the middle center passenger when there are three at the back? Of course, i'm also eagerly waiting to get a feel for myself but any info will be welcome

Also can you mention the overall dimensions / turning radius etc. if any specs were made available?

Thanks.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 00:18   #81
BHPian

Hi Zappo a great review!personally though you have covered many points which earlier reviews did not include you missed a key feature which i hold very important to a good driving experience-Feedback from the steering at low and high speeds!!

Since this is an e.p.s. unit i am expecting it to be light in the city but offer poor feedback on the highway once the speeds go up!!

Some other points-firstly fluidic design may look good but i assume accident repair costs will go up! Secondly looking at the profile of the car, visibility through the rear view mirror may be bad-good that a reverse camera is added for top end variants!!
Old 29th April 2011, 00:21   #82
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Super Review, not too long not too short! A couple of questions:

- It would have been nice if they could have offered a sun-roof in the top end variant. Although its not a deal-breaker, but i think its offered in the i10 & i20!
- Did Hyundai only offer the top end variants to the media or were there other variants as well ?
- When can we expect to see a review of the 1.4 engine?
- Did the guys at Hyundai reveal anything about their future launches like Elantra & i45 ?
- Honda City needs to worry! Could it give a scare to the Vento in terms of sales?
Old 29th April 2011, 00:23   #83
BHPian

Attached along with is a crude compilation of the features available variant wise (Disclaimer: Prepared by someone who has seen all the variants. Actual facts may vary)

As per this sheet, Rear A/c vents, Rear Spoiler, Glass antenna and Rear map lamps are not present in any of these variants. And hence, this sheet is definitely a custom job as no manufacturer would like to highlight the missing goodies in their features list.

Hoping to see the shark fin antenna as an accesory at least!

VJ

Photo source: Indian Autos Blog | Indian Automobile Blog | Auto News India | Car News India
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundairb.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RB.doc.pdf (148.1 KB, 2378 views)

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 29th April 2011 at 00:38.
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 01:28   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Excellent report Zappo. The all new verna does look good, though in the unique purple shade it aint that alluring. The equipment level is quite mouth watering too.
Thanks Jaggu.

Yes the car definitely is a looker, particularly when you compare to the inane looks of most of the erstwhile Hyundai's in India, till of course the i20 came in. And it is definitely loaded to the gills if you take the top end.

Quote:
The major gripe i have with Hyundai vehicles though holds good, the soft suspension! I really dont understand why they cant stiffen it for high speeds. India has moved on from slow highways, why is Hyundai so hung up?
I think Hyundai figures that most of those who buy a million bucks car are paunchy execs and sethji types who seat at the back seat and go from home to office and back again. They want a comfortable city ride and do not want to feel those bumpers and stray potholes, high speed handling and driving delights be damned. And thats one of the prominent reasons for their cars having such softly sprung suspensions.

Quote:
Another worry is the complex ECU controlled this and that, hope they hold well in the long term. Or expect nice fat bills, knowing Hyundai!
Yes, even the IRVM is touted as fully ECM controlled, a segment first (with all day and night driving capabilities)! I wonder what happens if one morning all of a sudden the mirror appears completely opaque because the concerned module has gone kaput. Banes of having too much of electronics when a simpler solution probably can do.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th April 2011 at 01:29.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 03:16   #85
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Zappo!!!

Do you have a pic of the rear glass area, as seen from the driver's seat? From all the pics I have seen of the car so far, my main concern has been regarding reversing the car. High boot, three rear headrests and a small glass at the rear doesnt seem to help matters? Whats your take on this?

I know the top end version comes with a lot of electronics to compensate for this, but without the electronics, how does it fare on this account?
Old 29th April 2011, 03:23   #86
Team-BHP Support

Frankly speaking, I am not much into electronics. For me reversing a car always means three mirrors. I know people suggest craning your neck over the driver's seat is the way to do it the right way and all such things, but I just can not.

So when I saw this car my very first apprehension was that this one is going to be a real pain to reverse. Need to be cautious. However, from what I remember, or rather I do not remember anything which essentially means that reversing is not really a problem. Else I would have been stuck (and remembered) because I just can't help it, camera or no camera, sensors or no sensors. In fact all that beeping and screened images confuse me. I just rely on the plain ol' mirrors and considering that I reversed this car innumerous number of times I think its not really difficult.

Yes, there is that third (central) headrest and somewhat thick C pillars but still somehow I never felt much problem while reversing!

Last edited by Zappo : 29th April 2011 at 03:27.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 03:46   #87
BHPian

Wow Zappo, Amazing review. Rating this thread a well deserved 5 *****.
Puts Me in such a big dilemma. Guess will have to start a separate thread for it though.

11 Months old SX4. Average drive 40 kms. per day.
Surely was awaiting the launch of this car.

I love the existing Car, however the Niggles/Rattles and the Fuel Efficiency make me think twice for a moment.

Will the depreciation be a bigger cost if I was to change now or will the saving of buying a diesel sedan (i.e. if the drive continues for the same distance daily) be a better option.

Ahhh, While I love the choices at hand, however it makes Me go back to what took Me a while to take...Decision on what is the Best
Old 29th April 2011, 05:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Zappo. If marketed in the correct price band this car has the looks + goodies + performance to become the segment topper.
Welcome move by Hyundai on not stripping down the bells and whistles in this car.
P.S: Interesting choice of color that purple one!
Old 29th April 2011, 06:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Too many questions here. Let me see if I can try and answer some.

We are entering only onto the 6th page...still a lot more to go & lot more to answer for you

How efficient is the braking esp high speed braking?
Old 29th April 2011, 07:40   #90
Team-BHP Support

Well composed review. Thanks Zappo!

As many mentioned, it looks like Hyundai have a true winner in the Verna. In my opinion, majority of the buyers who consider a Hyundai are not those who are extremely keen on driving dynamics, and the company on their side have gauged their target audience very well, and provided with all the bells and whistles they want (or maybe more than what they want). Great job Hyundai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The car you see here is the 4th generation Hyundai Accent, rebadged for India as the new Hyundai Verna.
Now this is something which I really dislike. Selling the new generation of an old model with a different badge, and that too one with the pricing of one segment above. Personally, I feel it’s a rip-off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks