Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 12:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review

Now that came as pleasant surprise.
Excellent review! Thanks GTO (and Stratos) for bringing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Steering wheel should have been sportier. Boring to look at, boring to hold. Black & beige combination looks cheesy
Cheesy is quite an understatement. It looks pure ugly for a car of this stature. Except for that, I quite liked the interiors, especially with tan leathers.

Quote:
• Also available with a 5 cylinder diesel engine (i.e. the S60 D5) with a front-wheel-drive layout. Starting price of Rs. 27 lakhs.
Did you get a chance to work the D5 unit as well?

Quote:
• Bet you don't know what Volvo means. Volvo = I roll.
Thanks for the trivia. I guess the earlier Volvos used to live up to the name with some heavy body roll
Old 9th May 2011, 12:34   #17
dot
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a Monday morning treat. This was one review I was hoping for ever since the S60 has been launched here.

Quote:
Keep the brake pedal pressed and hit the engine start button to fire up the 6 cylinders.

Flooring the accelerator results in instantaneous acceleration, along with that push-into-the-seat feeling for the driver & passengers. Progress is rapid, and the S60 will completely annihilate the 330i & A4 in drag races.

For me this was the moment of the day. I could almost hear and feel the car blasting off.

Totally agreed that this car can give the 5 series and E class a run for its money. But then where is the brand visibility and the network? We all know who are the major customers of the 5 and S. Will Volvo ever tap the rural market?

Quote:
The underbody scraped over 10 times in a 2 km stretch.
Now thats familiar

Quote:
While some of the features have inherent value, the others are irrelevant to India.
Agreed. Can they be switched off. I have been arguing against some of these features in many threads. While they are great in an organized traffic, they could be an overkill and irritant here.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:05   #18
BHPian

This by far the best review I must have read on Team-BHP.. one reason is that I am in love with Volvo cars and it is not even funny and especially the S60. It wont make any difference but I would have loved to give this awesome review a Standing Ovation.

Rating the thread an underestimated 5 stars.

Thanks a lot GTO you have no idea how much I have enjoyed this review. I am completely stunned.

Though how is D5 kinetic VS this T6??
Old 9th May 2011, 13:27   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Glad all of you found my review informative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is the back seat really that bad?
As bad as the one in the 3 series. A Logan, Manza or Altis are way more comfortable. I would rate the cramped backseat as the biggest deal breaker with this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
How much bootspace does a spare 16 or 17 inch wheel with tyres take up?
It's not only about the space in liters, but also how much useable space an after-market spare wheel & tyre would take up. You would have no option but to place it on the floor, thus severely restricting the already limited luggage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Accounting for all things Indian
Thanks. An "Indian" perspective is mandatory if Team-BHP reviews are to maintain any relevance.

Quote:
Really impressed by the fact that this is fast yet driveable.
The S60 is better than its competitors in the city. And completely blows them away on the highway.

Quote:
in my experience if running hard MRFs
Would you ever run MRFs on such a high-performance car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
About the Japanese - European Usability thing :
Being a software usability guy, I can say both cultures have different views. Europeans generally follow simple usability stuff (come out - following the same way as you get in). Don't make me think.

Where as Japanese have different view - Give more than one option.
Many thanks for your insightful comment. I would agree that this difference in cultural approach is obvious in their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Did you get a chance to work the D5 unit as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Though how is D5 kinetic VS this T6??
Not yet. Sidindica has, and his review is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
For me this was the moment of the day. I could almost hear and feel the car blasting off.
She's something else on the open road. Believe me, even the EVO X seems boring in comparison to the S60's driving experience.

Quote:
Can they be switched off.
Some can, the others cant. And they watch over you like nannies!

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2011 at 13:29.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:37   #20
Team-BHP Support

Great review GTO. I had just seen the specs and thought to myself that this will blow the 3.2fsi and the 330i away, and I was right.

Its great to know that the engine performs well on regular fuel, that is one big issue with the Germans.

The boot size is shocking. Any reason for such a small boot? Considering the dimensions of the car are similar to competitors.

They make the compressor in Poland? Haha surprising that the AC worked well, considering with Poland's weather they would hardly need an AC.

All in all looks like you had a blast of a day driving the S60 T6.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would you ever run MRFs on such a high-performance car?
My point Exactly! I'd expect anyone buying to upgrade to softer/wider/both rubber immediately or when the first set wear out. And since only the rock-like MRFs can prevent punctures and no-one in their right mind will shod the S60 with em... Kinda can't think of a reason for the missing spare.

PS. Is this a 6 speed Dual Clutch system?
Old 9th May 2011, 14:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a treat to read this on a otherwise dull drab Monday noon.
What a stonker of a machine this is! Adrenaline rush for sure!

I would actually love to see some of these at least in urban cities- guys who know their drives.
The wafer thin dealer network seems to be a deal breaker. Apart form that, not really heard about the A.S.S (good or bad).

Question to the Mods: How do you forsee the sales for this one, Vis a vis the A4, C, 3 or even the EVO X?
Old 9th May 2011, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Very good review. Saw one on old Mumbai Pune highway the other day and it's looks just awesome!
Old 9th May 2011, 15:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review!

I'm a huge fan of Volvo's (you kind of have to be when you live in Gothenburg) and their newer models like the V60, S60 and XC60 speak miles about the facelift their giving their brand!

This S60 in T6 Avatar is a real stonker - lovely engine, simple Scandinavian interiors and has a great stance! The boot space is small, but in most markets the V60 (estate version of S60) is sold alongside and hence is good option for people with luggage!

Volvo build quality has really stepped, and right from the 240 and 740 days they are consistently improving. I have driven a 2010 S40 with a 115 HP Diesel engine as well as a V50 with 180 HP Diesel (0-100 in 7.XX seconds, in a station wagon ) quite extensively and loved them! Solid build, extremely comfortable seats (really, Volvo front seats are awesome!) and good handling as well!

I really hope that Volvo decide to launch the S40 in India in the Laura-segment - would love to own one!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 15:05   #25
BHPian

Had an experience of this car from the outside. Was driving in my Tjet. Saw this orange beast in my rearview... jaw dropped, shifted down a gear, revved my engine, got ready to keep the volvo in the rear view, floored the accelerator and then nothing!!! I had the sick feeling that i was at a standstill. This orange bird simply gained on me and was about to pass me like I was moving backwards.

But it simply couldn't pass me!!!

Wanna Know why???

Speedbraker territory.... hahahaha!!!!

We have a stretch in Pune which till recently was a speed corridor and then the Defence folks peppered it with about 7 speedbrakers. Nobody can speed through it now. Not even a monster volvo!!!
As i was trotting through the brakers, the poor Volvo was doing it so very gingerly that I had to park on the side and let it pass so I could get a good look.
What an amazing piece of automotive sculpture... beautiful!
Hope the money bags who were TDing it buy it.

For the stastically inclined... the Volvo was about 500 meters behind, i had just touched 100 kmph and it reeled me in in about 5 seconds. The volvo just got out of traffic, so it must have started from 10kmph. And yeah i had slowed down for the brakers.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:31   #26
BHPian

Nice to see a strong performance sedan !!!
However, from the pictures, i feel a few surfaces lack that "tactile-premium" feel and are made to look utilitarian. For an entry level luxury performance sedan, it does not give you that "plush" feel like say and A4 or even a superb does for that matter.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, I am glad to know that I found someone who finally agrees that this day & age VOLVOS are not only "cars that school teachers drive" It can & has proven that it does give a run for the money to mightier names namely the German troika !!

Earlier when ever I said the XC90 is nice or the S80 is worth the money, people would either suggest that I am older than I look or that I should buy a VOLVO, coz VOLVO ka matlab to BUS hota hai..so much for enthusiasts.

I am grinning ear to ear reading your review, not that I will own this car, as you have mentioned it has very low seating, so it does not work for me. BUT the XC60 is still under serious consideration vs the Freelander 2

Thanks for the brilliant pics (how does the Orange color look in flesh?) and an wonderful writeup

Cheers
Old 9th May 2011, 16:05   #28
BHPian

I'd say its well worth the money. Given the performance, many would look over the few issues like the smaller boot and lack of a spare wheel.

Infact, cars in this range are marketed as primarily 2 seater cars. Like, when my family first moved to Dubai, we went into the Mercedes showroom to look at a C-Class, and the salesman openly tells my mum that the C-Class is more for younger people with small kids or no kids at all. Its not really for a full fledged family. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/LOL.gif
Old 9th May 2011, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• No spare wheel. No runflat tyres. Ridiculous for Indian driving conditions!
• Poor ground clearance (130 mm) on rough roads. Scrapes away to glory
• Volvo's wafer-thin dealer / service network
Just 130 mm ground clearance? Who are they kidding. And on top of that I saw exactly the same car in Bangalore. In brigade road area. Wonder how owner is managing the mountains of speed breakers here.

And no spare wheel? I fail to understand.

But yes, the car looks very good in that color. You have to see it in flesh to appreciate it.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:03   #30
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

Question :

How do you forsee the sales for this one, Vis a vis the A4, C, 3 or even the EVO X?
@Swanand, I am already trying to forsee the preowned sales of this car. Just imagine, after 2-3 years this beauty will be available around 20L or lower.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed