Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 17:18   #31
BHPian

re: Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review

Excellent review as always by GTO. Makes interesting reading and the pictures add that extra gloss to the review. The list of -ves seem to be significant with the S60. Lack of spare flat tyre, cramped rear room, poor GC and a small boot are enough reasons to stay away from this car. The poor dealer network is another worrying factor.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:46   #32
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. As far as performance goes I think this car does the job - infact it is better than the competition. The interiors seem simple and neat. The steering wheel looks out of place in the car (what a terrible colour combination). The worrying thing is the GC of 130mm only. I am sure it is going to be hard for the owner to drive over speed breakers(even though he is alone). So many safety factors and not a spare wheel? A spare wheel for me is a basic requirement.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:11   #33
BHPian

Well, I guess this car should get Volvo on the map in India. Though the glaring omissions are just inexcusable. No spare tire? Come on! And that low GC to boot. Well, lets wait and see.

*fingers crossed*
Old 9th May 2011, 18:28   #34
BHPian

This is simply one of the BEST automobile reviews EVER (including the one for the Linea T Jet). GTO. Stunning pics to go with it too. Stratos. For a person like me who cannot afford such an expensive car, it was like a special tour of the mean machine and made me think, someday...(picture a smiley here since i've run out of them already).

Is there a reason why most driver's car are relatively low in the backseat space quotient (Octavia, Fiesta, Linea, 3 series etc)? Perhaps the manufacturers want to keep the 'backseat drivers' out of such cars and only the real driver in the front. For this Volvo, it may be because there are so many alarms in the car already that the co. didn't want the alarming wails from the rear passengers when the car is being flicked around corners.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For a car as well-equipped, it's strange that the lumbar support has manual adjustment. The ½ price Laura offers electric lumbar controls. I even found the lumbar support adjustment range to be too limited:
I must admit that electric lumbar support really sucks. I think I have a sensitive back and I always feel the 'harness/motors/cables and all other nuts and bolts' while driving a car with electric lumbar support. One must understand that the good-old-back-cushion is replaced with tons of movings parts embedded in the backrest when they want to provide those 24-way adjustable heated/cooled/ventilated seats with side airbags!

Earlier this year, I drove a Volvo C70 from SFO to San Diego back to back - the driver seat is simply awesome - never a trace of discomfort and heavenly support all around. A million times better than what I am used to (Laura and BMW F10). I miss that seat nearly everyday!

Having said that the drive itself was pretty dull - steering feedback is so-so, average automatic and monotony of US driving (speed limits, rules and stuff) and the interiors didn't look up-market.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:53   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its great to know that the engine performs well on regular fuel, that is one big issue with the Germans.
Performed just fine, even though regular petrol was filled from an unknown highway pump (Dara's Dhaba station on the Bhiwandi bypass).

Quote:
The boot size is shocking. Any reason for such a small boot?
Poor packaging, I guess.

Quote:
All in all looks like you had a blast of a day driving the S60 T6.
Confession : I actually wasn't even going to review this car. Was just tagging along to offer additional comments. However, after going up and down the 12 km ghat section several times, I decided to fold my sleeves up, put my head down, and start typing . I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a drive so much. And it was completely unexpected; who expected an exciting Volvo?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
PS. Is this a 6 speed Dual Clutch system?
Nope, it's not a DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Question to the Mods: How do you forsee the sales for this one, Vis a vis the A4, C, 3 or even the EVO X?
Won't match the 3 series or the C Class for sure. Mercedes & BMW have far superior brand recognition and a dealer network in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
This S60 in T6 Avatar is a real stonker
A stonker and how. The outright performance, revv happy engine and dynamics blow your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrockz View Post
Speedbraker territory
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Wonder how owner is managing the mountains of speed breakers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am sure it is going to be hard for the owner to drive over speed breakers
Actually, if you refer to my review, she didn't have a problem clearing any of the speedbreakers we encountered. However, rough road patches were HORRIBLE! Constant scraping and touching when we drove through a village. My C Class would have easily cleared that stretch without breaking into a sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
However, from the pictures, i feel a few surfaces lack that "tactile-premium" feel and are made to look utilitarian.
Don't let the pictures mislead you. Interior design is ordinary, yes, yet the quality & textures are top class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Earlier when ever I said the XC90 is nice or the S80 is worth the money, people would either suggest that I am older than I look or that I should buy a VOLVO, coz VOLVO ka matlab to BUS hota hai..so much for enthusiasts.
The Volvo XC60 was a rather boring drive, Ricky. I'd say this is the first "exciting to drive" Volvo in India.

Quote:
how does the Orange color look in flesh?
Suits the cars character. And sure as hell grabs attention (if that matters to you)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@Swanand, I am already trying to forsee the preowned sales of this car. Just imagine, after 2-3 years this beauty will be available around 20L or lower.
HAHAHAHA! Now you're talking. Easily under 20 lakhs for a 3 year old example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Is there a reason why most driver's car are relatively low in the backseat space quotient (Octavia, Fiesta, Linea, 3 series etc)?
Good point, Delta Wing! Driver oriented cars usually have a low stance, to keep the center of gravity low. Thus, rear seat comfort is the first to go out the window. Come to think of it, I can't think of any car with a high stance in India that's also a whole lot of fun to drive.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 19:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Potent package from Volvo. Should be a hoot to drive. THIS is 1 car i would love to go up against in a drag versus my A4 3.0 TDI. Yes on 97 octane the Volvo is supposed to b quicker registering a 5.7 odd secs to 100 compared to the Audi's 6.1secs. But in our country , on regular petrol vs the torque monster Audi, this would be 1 hell of a competitor. I expect to just nose ahead of the Volvo till the ton and hopefully there on the 60NM torque advantage would help me blast off. Easier said than done ! LOL
Old 9th May 2011, 20:16   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Confession : I actually wasn't even going to review this car. Was just tagging along to offer additional comments. However, after going up and down the 12 km ghat section several times, I decided to fold my sleeves up, put my head down, and start typing . I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a drive so much. And it was completely unexpected; who expected an exciting Volvo?!
Ah that explains it! And thats why I mentioned "a pleasant surprise" in my initial response to the review. Frankly, I was not expecting a Volvo review from you. Happy that you succumbed to the pressure of 300+ bhp
Old 9th May 2011, 20:27   #39
BHPian

An amazing and sumptuous write up and some very fancy photography, really cool pics. That color just flows with the lines and curves of the S60.

One off topic suggestion: A better Team-Bhp number plate would definitely do more justice to the effort you guys put in. White background, rounded over the edges with www dot Team-Bhp dot com embossed as in those high security number plates.
Old 9th May 2011, 21:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

@GTO What do you make of the S60 D5 or the XC60 D5, those are the ones that I am looking at. Well honestly I am not looking at the S60 due to the fact that was re-iterated that it is a low slung car, hence not good for me. Essentially the XC60 D5 or the Freelander 2 fit the bill for me.

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 9th May 2011 at 21:34.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:11   #41
BHPian

I cant fathom why on earth they cudn't think about a spare tyre of all. It wouldn't have mattered to a 43 lac car owner even if he is asked to pay another 50k for a spare wheel from the factory. An iota of research on Indian conditions would have told them how inevitable a spare wheel is.

That steering wheel exactly looks like a miniature version of the one I saw in my chennai-bangalore volvo bus this morning. do they maintain the same design across all their cars?
Old 9th May 2011, 22:37   #42
BHPian

Excellent review. Thanks GTO!
The car looks stunning and I love the rear profile with its meaty dual exhaust pipes. The interior is also a typical no-nonsense type.
The FE is on the lower side though ()

Pros
  • Drop dead gorgeous looks
  • List of electronic goodies
  • Fun to drive 300HP engine

Cons
  • No spare wheel/run-flats
  • A meager 308-litre boot
  • Awful backseat support
Old 9th May 2011, 23:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

Superb review and excellent pictures! I love the shape of this car inspite of that Volvo front end.

What is the "i" symbol on the key fob for?

Tyre repair kit has a can, what is that?
Old 9th May 2011, 23:51   #44
BHPian

Great review GTO and absolutely wonderful photos Stratos. One of the best snaps I have come across for a review.

Reading about all the extra features in the car reminded me about Jeremy Clarkson stating that "you know it's a bad driver coming when you see a Volvo".

Anyway, good that there is an option to switch off all the warning signals else it would have been a nightmare driving on our roads. I am pretty sure the system would go mad by the time the car makes a trip from home to office!!

What about the auto brake thing mentioned in the review? Can you switch that off too?

Looks like a nice car and aggressively priced too. Just hope Volvo can do something quickly about their service network. I have heard that Volvo is finding it extremely difficult to find people to opt for their dealership.
Old 10th May 2011, 00:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

What an exhaustive review,there cannot be a more exhaustive scrutinizing of a car than this.Thank you for your effort GTO and the other moderators.Way better than any magazine can provide us and we are getting it for free.
A small request,its just for fun,would love to see some "behind the scenes" pics of your test rides,picking up the car,taking notes,pics of the other moderators.

The other day i saw a similiar orange coloured S60 on road and had to admit she is a stunner,was savoring over those lines for sometime.

And someone mentioned the sales prospects of this car,so i did some digging and these are sales of s60 for the past 2 months it has been on sale.

Feb=11
March=12
April hasnt come out yet.

Most Viewed