Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 15:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The S60 gets pure keyless entry; thus, you merely walk up to the car and pull the door handle. As long as the smart key is in your pocket, the door will open. The doors of the C Class, 3 series and A4 shut with a thud; the Volvo’s close with a deep T-H-U-D. This car feels more like the proverbial tijori-on-wheels than any of its competitors. In fact, I found myself opening & closing the driver’s door, several times, only to enjoy the sound . As is typical of most CBUs, the interior part quality is fabulous. There is not a single piece of material inside that feels lacking in premium’ness. Each button, control and texture (including the seats) boasts of outstanding construction quality.
GTO, as always a very balanced and no nonsense review.

Despite the gizmos I am not sure how this car will fare up in our extremely brand concious country, when alternatives like Merc, BMW and now Audi are available in a similar range.
Old 11th August 2012, 02:08   #92
BHPian

Hey guys.!
My dad bought a volvo s60 D5 a few months ago and i must say it is really good as far as the driving comfort is concern. I hate that it does not have a touch screen and the extras cost a lot more. I went for the D5 Summum which was the top in class diesel. The FE is ok it comes around 8-10 inside the city and 10-12 high ways. The leather seats are showing big signs of use within 4 months and the ground clearance is of course a big problem, its already got a bump behind the right side front tyre. I wanted to create a new thread for the ownership but am left with no time atall. Will try anyway.
Old 11th August 2012, 08:32   #93
Team-BHP Support

A version Polestar of the S60 has been launched. It has got something like 500+bhp on tap. The wheels are one of the most gorgeous ones designed by Volvo IMO.

The best sleeper Car you can get yourself. I am not sure if the Polestar is launched @ India as well.
Old 11th August 2012, 17:02   #94
BHPian

will the bmw 3 series sport kill the anyways tiny sales figures of the volvo
?
Old 29th August 2012, 22:34   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A version Polestar of the S60 has been launched. It has got something like 500+bhp on tap. The wheels are one of the most gorgeous ones designed by Volvo IMO.

The best sleeper Car you can get yourself. I am not sure if the Polestar is launched @ India as well.
Polestar is a concept limited to only 1 unit so far by Volvo.

As per ACI report ;

Volvo unveils S60 Polestar concept | News | Autocar India

But the purpose is surely clear i.e. target the letter " M "

Last edited by karan561 : 29th August 2012 at 22:37.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:42   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
?
I really don't think so, on paper the specs on the T6 look better than the 328i.

Saw one (T6) about a couple of weeks back, man it looked gorgeous, oozed quality and finesse, the only thing that would make one shy away from the T6 is the thin Volvo network, else performance wise, I think it'll be better off than the 328.

The best part with the T6 is, you can really haggle the dealer for HUGE discounts and it being a CBU, I would assume that the quality inside-out is gonna be better than the 328.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 30th August 2012 at 08:44.
Old 6th September 2012, 22:33   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I really don't think so, on paper the specs on the T6 look better than the 328i.

else performance wise, I think it'll be better off than the 328.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
?
Referring to the ACI Sept'12 Issue ( Track Test )

The F30 BMW 328i Clocked 2m 5.7 secs

The Volvo S60 T6 last year (2011 - Track Test) had clocked 2m 6.00 Sec

^ Not much of a difference.

But again on paper the 328 is 60 odd horses shorter compared to the 300+ bhp Volvo T6

Note : Im a fan of the T6 too (Especially when it took down the likes of 330i , Merc & A4 3.2 in the Autocar comparo some months back )
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 23:19   #98
BHPian

What you'll like:

• A F-A-S-T European muscle car; 304 BHP & 440 Nm of torque
• Astonishing grip, stability and braking
• Premium build quality, inside out
• Light and easy to drive in the city. Flies low on the highway
• Loaded with kit, including turn with steering headlamps, reversing camera, adaptive cruise control etc.
• 5 star safety tech. Laser assisted braking, driver alert control, lane departure warning and more

What you won't:

• Lacks the badge value of chief German competitors
• No spare wheel. No runflat tyres. Ridiculous for Indian driving conditions!
• Cramped back seat. Also, rear bench placed too low
• Small 380 liter boot
• Poor ground clearance (130 mm) on rough roads. Scrapes away to glory
• Volvo's wafer-thin dealer / service network

@GTO
Brilliant review as ever.
Going through the What you won't like section of few legendary cars like the EVO , Mini Cooper and some other cars which are considered to be run away success like the Swift , Fortuner , Sunny , XUV 500 , Cruze etc , this is the only car which has got no negatives points mentioned from the driver's view point. Mods finding the car to be much impressive than the EVO , Audi 3.2 tfsi ,BMW 330i made a lasting impression about this car on my mind. Whenever I see a Volvo on the road (be it a petrol or diesel version) my mind thinks of buying that car in two three years down the lane in the used car market for <15 lakhs. (God help me cherish my dream )
Old 31st January 2013, 10:23   #99
Senior - BHPian

Chris Harris drives the S60 Polestar on snow and gives an emphatic YES!

I hope Volvo makes the Polestar mainstream like M and AMG.

Posting it here as I didn't want to start a new thread.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 00:45   #100
BHPian

Quote:
The Smaller yet significant things:

For a car this well-equipped, it's strange that the lumbar support has manual adjustment.
- Well good news is that s80 does have automatic control

Quote:
With such a small boot, I guess you are going to need all the flexibility you can get.
- Actually I was shocked to read this, and later discovered that you're indeed right - it has almost the same length of Cedia and a crappy 339L boot-space, which is waaay lesser than that of my Cedia (430L), but s80 is pretty good at 4851mm length, and 480L boot space!

I was also shocked to hear that the rear seats are cramped in s60, because in s80 you actually feel like you're sitting in a 7 series or an S-Class, and just the way you love the rear seats of Superb and Accord, I find the rear-seats of my s80 to be ultra-comfortable.

In fact, I'd confess that I loved sitting at the back for a change, when my bro drove for a change (though I absolutely love to drive every bit of it, and never give my cars to a driver EVER!)

Anyway, that was one hell of a review, and I don't know what else to write in my review. I was thinking of writing something today, but after reading this post, what else can I add?

By the way, does s60 also have an in-car phone, and how bad is the FE?

Last edited by OmThoke : 12th April 2013 at 00:49.
Old 12th April 2013, 10:01   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
Anyway, that was one hell of a review, and I don't know what else to write in my review. I was thinking of writing something today, but after reading this post, what else can I add?
I think you should still go ahead and share your user review of the S80. I believe we don’t have a review of the S80 in the forum. Deciding against it due to this reason is like saying a 3-series review will cover everything about the 5-series
Old 12th April 2013, 10:21   #102
BHPian

Well yeah true but then s60 and s80 share most of the underpinnings as well as features; so I think I'll take GTO's review as the base, and then add my inputs on s80 as cross-references to highlight the shortcomings of s60 and the goodness of s80, and why buyers should contemplate an s80, if they don't mind losing out of 60 odd horses.

Once GTO replies about those features like in-car phone, rear-entertainment unit, refrigerator in rear seats etc, I'll also take them into account, and do the review.

Planning to take my beast on the long run this weekend to Ooty - so probably will be able to write a much better review once I come back on Tuesday morning

Oh yes, and the ground clearance is super in s80, while is a major concern in s60 (just like A4/A6, 3/5 series, and C/E Class) - yesterday I went over a really bad hump at about 40-50kmph, but it didn't even bother me, except dislodging my wife momentarily from her seats

FE sucks if I constantly floor the accelerator and enjoy the roar of the engine and its sheer power, and it always keeps beeping in city traffic, but then yeah all of this certainly calls for a review - so I guess I'll do it anyway.

Hopefully that will educate those who're ignorant about Volvos and never even consider s80 at the first place.

Last edited by OmThoke : 12th April 2013 at 10:32.
OmThoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 14:14   #103
BHPian

Just got delivery of my Volvo S60 D4 Summum variant in black, sharing a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review-img20130116wa0003.jpg  

Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review-img20130116wa0005.jpg  

Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review-img20130116wa0004.jpg  

Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review-img20130116wa0007.jpg  

Anmol89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 14:37   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol89 View Post
Just got delivery of my Volvo S60 D4 Summum variant in black, sharing a few pictures.
Congrats Anmol89 ! The S60 D4 is a superb car and surely one of my favorites. Nice that you went for the black one. Please keep sharing your ownership experience.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:54   #105
BHPian

@ Anmol89 : First of all congratulations for a very good buy. Please post your dealership and buying experience as well. Your car in black looks gorgeous. I like the entrance of your house as well. The stance and presence of your car is complimenting your house entrance .

@OmThoke : Detailed review of your Ooty trip is still pending dear. Please spare some time and share your experience with all of us.

Most Viewed