Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Fluence : Test Drive & Review

Excellent review.

The Fluence is overpriced, under-featured and ergonomically flawed based on this review. 4 airbags & ESP is a welcome addition in this segment but I wonder if Renault stands any chance to make a success out of this car. Absence of any variants is shocking.

The Cruze with a similar price tag makes way more sense for someone looking for a powerful diesel sedan. The new Verna too looks reasonably priced against the Fluence.
The petrol Fluence's specs are a tad better than the Altis/Civic but I don't see it affecting sales of either Toyota or Honda.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 23rd May 2011 at 14:41.
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:50   #17
BHPian

Excellent review, rated 5 star.

It seems that Renault has messed up its 2nd chance to break into Indian car scene. Launching Poorly equipped diesel variant doesn't seem to be a smart move. Kind of products offered by competitors and also the way Petrol & Diesel prices are moving in India, I don't think Renault has done its homework.

Though looks are good, but to me it seems that this car doesn't have any USP, be it Price, Power, Brand (thanks to Logan saga) or VFM.

It seems that French car makers have lots to learn, on how to crack markets other than Europe & Africa (former French colonies).

Let's hope that Renault management takes a fast feedback from market and launches properly priced & equipped variant quickly.

Last edited by Stratos : 23rd May 2011 at 15:05. Reason: Corrected the formatting error.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am confused. What kinda customers is Fluence meant for? I can think of these classes:
1. Youth who enjoy driving, and want a car in this segment. They want brand value and raw power. Then Cruze and Laura win. Renault might be European, but I am sure that does not help.
2. Middle aged corporates who want to be chauffeur driven. Well, will most of them think beyond Corolla D4D?
3. Middle aged men/women who want to drive their own cars. I cannot think of many plus points for Fluence compared to competition.
4. Taxi for hotels. That's Corolla D4D, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
One question. The CKD kit is from which country?
Turkey.

Last edited by rohanjf : 23rd May 2011 at 15:04.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:08   #19
BHPian

Nice review Stratos, diesel variant is priced very high for the given engine and the equipment list. I hope they will do justice to their upcoming locally manufactured cars.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Stratos with detailed pictures. As soon as i saw the news on ET about the launch came to TBHP and searched and this was right there posted today. Great timing i must say.

I am looking for a car in this price range, was excited as soon as i saw the news but what do i get for this kind of money, No manual Transmission (Well i am not a automatic guy), 4 Airbags (Verna gives 6 for much lesser price), . Loved the windscreens though.

Thought of test driving it soon, but after reading the review i am not so sure, hence will give it a pass.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Great review but beyond space and comfort, I cannot fathom its USP.

Expect it to be discounted shortly or a diesel version with a slightly better equipment hoever, the Cruze is better value all round.

By the way, that ignition key is not too durable, it fails due to adapting to the contours of your bum and some cases delaminates!
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

thanks Stratos for the review.

This car is destined to be a FLOP from get go. A 105bhp, 1.5L diesel at nearly 14L+ on road? You got to be kidding me! Looks like they haven't learnt anything from the LogOff.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:11   #23
BHPian

Superb Review, Too bad the diesel variant is such heavily striped down. It will definitely not be a success. Cruze seems to be the clear winner in this segment
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:12   #24

Excellent review Startos, rated 5 Star.

It looks like the Renault did everything right but from their previous experience from launch of Logan would have thought they would have priced it on the lower side, but missed out on this. The diesel with tried and tested engine is great but lack of option in this price range would be hurting them in terms of sales IMHO.

Cruze has a lot of items as standard not mention its powerful Oil burner engine, but the quirkiness of French Design is visible in start stop button and dated RCA inputs, etc

Hopefully they will figure it out quickly to have better option in coming months
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
By the way, that ignition key is not too durable, it fails due to adapting to the contours of your bum and some cases delaminates!
The same I read somewhere in European forum.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:13   #26
Team-BHP Support

As much as I loved the review (full marks to you Startos) the car seems destined to be an abject failure. I do not know why some manufacturers never learn from their mistakes. It almost feels like someone put a gun on Renault's temple and forced them to launch a car in the Indian market when they would rather have none of it.

A barebones diesel with a lightweight engine in a car that looks much bigger and will cost 15lakhs on-road (for sure) ! In terms of features has almost nothing (RCA inputs!?? please!), the mixed-up ergonomics, boring dash... to me everything sounds like a surefire recipe for disaster. And then think of the Petrol which will sure cross over the 16.5 to 17 lakh territory. In a market as competitive as ours and where people now have choices galore you can not price yourself above some of your competitors and then offer so little in terms of deliverance. I am highly disappointed Renault!

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd May 2011 at 15:18.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:14   #27

Nice Review!

With the price segment in which this car is competing I don't think it stands a chance at hole. There are so many anomalies in the car that it would hardly find any takers. The car has extremely strong competition from cruze and altis which appeal to the customers a lot (as is evident from the sales figure).

Anyway, lets wait for the sales figures to come in.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:30   #28
BHPian

Excellent detailed review thank you so much. If they would have given all the goodies in the diesel variant then it would have been worth 13L ex-showroom. I think people will go for Cruze instead of this even though you feel like you are in a jail in the Cruze.

Looks like I shouldnt wait for the Duster, they might price it in the same range or may be even higher since its a crossover.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:31   #29
BHPian

Apart from the minor issues, it seems like the major complaint is the price. Renault really needed to price the car a lakh less. That would have at least given it some semblence of VFM. At this price i dont see too many takers.

PS: Quite surprised that the price for the Fluence is the lowest in Karnataka! (ex-showroom price that is)
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

I am still SHOCKED!

By the extent of poor pricing. I had been following up Fluence with good interest. Up till now, that is. What were they thinking when they priced it. I was personally hoping that they will target the 10.99 mark that Cruze hit when it was launched in India. However, I knew that it will be practically impossible. So, I realistically hoped that it will be 11.49 ex showroom. The maximum I had imagined was 11.99 for the base diesel. I think it a full lakh (minimum) costlier that it ought to be.

What do Renault do now when it gets junta's feedback (we know what that will be like)? Do they give more features to basic diesel at the same price? Do they re-launch it at 11.99, just a few months after its launch? Do they let it sit in the showroom and not move?

They killed a potentially decent product with completely INSANE pricing. Heck, even the 'new' Jetta with 'prestigious German logo' on it may be launched cheaper than this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks