Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 13:41   #571
BANNED

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Very disappointing pricing, especially all the hype and wait. but Ford did a fantastic job of creating a pre-launch buzz around it and making people wait for it for atleast 4 months ( I did waited ).
also, Its pricing makes Honda City and diesel Verna & Vento look VFM.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:43   #572
Senior - BHPian

Bad call Ford. You overpriced you car out of the competition. I see Vento and Verna as the best cars in Diesel and ANHC as the best option in petrol as of now. If someone would like a Ford, they are better of buying the Fiesta Classic for a fun to drive engine and total VFM.

Hopefully Ford will be back with special discounts of 1-1.5L soon since the car doesn't sell
Old 14th July 2011, 13:44   #573
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Terribly disappointed with Ford's pricing strategy. I was hoping for another VFM offering...well, it's quite the opposite. I can just hear Hyundai & VW letting out a sigh of relief. Here's a comparo compiled by Rehaan & Stratos (uploaded to the 2nd post of this thread too):

- The Fiesta is the most expensive petrol sedan in the C segment. Heck, even the Honda City - a car that's a far better performer & has way more space - looks like VFM now.

- The Fiesta starts where the top-level Vento (petrol AND diesel) end off! And the Vento has more space and a more powerful diesel engine.

- The Verna Fluidic has created quite the buzz. And don't forget, has topnotch equipment including SIX airbags!

Ford was on a roll with the Figo. Too bad the momentum hasn't been maintained in the C segment. My favourite C segmenters remain the City petrol, Vento diesel and the Linea T-Jet.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 13:46   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Extremely disappointed with the prices. What was Ford thinking, I mean just when they had launched Figo they did a huge PR exercise to justify that they were no longer the "costly" car company. Now they lost all the goodwill that they had recieved over years.

I am scared. This effect will trickle down even to Figo, and reduce Figo sales figures by 1k odd. Take my word if this is the care, Figo will see only 3k sales figures in 3 months from now. Make note of it.

I was scared Ford will do something like this when I had look at the Fiesta Classic. But in general "This is crazy".

Even sad story is Ford just killed Figo with pricing Fiesta high,
I dont know why people are worried about. For the first some manufacturer has gone ahead and given ABS, EBD, immobilizer and Airbag as standard on all the variants of a premium entry sedan. There is no cheap trick of creating a low price variants the way Toyota did with LIVA at 3.99 lakhs which neither they plan to sell nor any customer will buy. I might be wrong but In feature terms one can compare Fiesta base vehicle with top ends of City Verna and Vento.

I have to admit this is quite a bit of quality pricing. Kudos to Ford Team for bringing this vehicle to India.

Last edited by anu21v : 14th July 2011 at 13:50.
anu21v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 13:47   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveanddrive View Post
Man what was Ford thinking! I was expecting 10.5 lacs OTR Nagpur for Titanium (D), and this! Very very disappointing! Not justified at all.
Justified or not, this is the pricing now and while I was expecting the topend to sell for atleast 50-75k less than what has been announced, I don't think this pricing is bad. If you compare it to the Verna, the fiesta will probably have better handling, better NVH levels and definitely a stronger body. Compared to the Vento, it still has a lot of extra features. I think the competition is really with the Vento since that is one car which has all European traits of a strong build quality and good handling.

I still think its a good car but will have to think between the Titanium and T+ models now.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:47   #576
BHPian

Extremely disappointed with pricing , my 2 months wait comes dismal end. Dunno what Ford was thinking while pricing this car, as such the car is no way spacious in addition to 1.5L Petrol engine. ANHV was itself sounding a lac higher and now all of a sudden it looks more VFM
Old 14th July 2011, 13:48   #577
BHPian

So base petrol should cost around 9.7 lacs (8.23+1.5 for tax/ handling/ insurance). Same price as indicated by SA of Metro Ford on last sunday, but mind was not ready to accept that price thinking it should be a VFM pricing like figo. Sad!!

Last edited by Aravindpn : 14th July 2011 at 13:49. Reason: typo error
Old 14th July 2011, 13:53   #578
Senior - BHPian

Talk about losing the plot completely! Ford has done a blunder with this pricing strategy. These prices make no sense at all. What a bummer! VW and Hyundai sure can heave a BIG sigh of relief now.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:10   #579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
This suggests that Ford is not underpricing the car to capture market volumes.
They have got their best car into India. Albeit with a 100 cc capacity disadvantage to others, one could argue that this car could still be the best in the segment in a lot of aspects.
The 100 cc disadvantage probably will not shoo away buyers since not many would even notice the power difference when you compare it with the diesel Verna or the ANHC petrol.
Yes, the awkward back could be one reason why a buyer is made to look elsewhere, but there still was no reason for Ford to underprice this car.
I kind of agree with Vinya_jag. If the manufacturers have the confidence in the product, and feel that it is worth the price, why should they lower the value? And it’s possible that the pricing was decided much before the launch of the new Verna.

But yes, the pricing is indeed a bit of a surprise – especially because it was widely expected to undercut Verna’s pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Terribly disappointed with Ford's pricing strategy. I was hoping for another VFM offering...well, it's quite the opposite. I can just hear Hyundai & VW letting out a sigh of relief. Here's a comparo compiled by Rehaan & Stratos (uploaded to the 2nd post of this thread too):
- The Fiesta is the most expensive petrol sedan in the C segment. Heck, even the Honda City - a car that's a far better performer & has way more space - looks like VFM now.

- The Fiesta starts where the top-level Vento (petrol AND diesel) end off! And the Vento has more space and a more powerful diesel engine.

- The Verna Fluidic has created quite the buzz. And don't forget, has topnotch equipment including SIX airbags!

Ford was on a roll with the Figo. Too bad the momentum hasn't been maintained in the C segment. My favourite C segmenters remain the City petrol, Vento diesel and the Linea T-Jet.
Couple of questions GTO. The review team may be in the best position to answer this:
  1. As far as equipment levels are considered, Verna is way ahead, but comparing to Vento and City – is the entry /mid level variant Fiesta better equipped than premium variant of Vento/City?
  2. On a FE standpoint, who score better?
Edit: Is it the T-Jet pricing mentioned in the price comparison chart for the petrol premium variant?

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th July 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Note added
Old 14th July 2011, 14:18   #580
BHPian

Wow, what a shocker !!!

After the review, I had already dialed down my interest in the Fiesta. And the pricing now totally kills my interest.

Now thats a way to kill the product.

See you Ford in a couple of months with substantial discounts.

Now I am only left with the City and Vento to decide on. Where's the competition, seriously..

Cheers
Old 14th July 2011, 14:24   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
My opinion for this is that the pricing is good for any european country or maybe america but for India, the variants are priced around 50-75K more for each variant.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Exactly the same was mentioned by many tbhpians when Hyundai launched New verna but if you look now, there is a good waiting period.
The same may happen with new fiesta. Lets wait and watch.
Lets hear from people who have already booked before Ford revealed prices - Are they going to cancel booking and buy a new Verna / Vento or are they going to proceed buying new fiesta?
Wouldn't agree to this. What has worked for Verna would not, considering the dealer base of Hyundai. And the major aspect for Ford (or any manufacturer) is not to hold on to its own stronghold (i.e. the Ford
enthusiasts) but to attack other customer bases.

Also I doubt Hyundai would be getting such strong bookings once Maruti comes out with an improved SX4 or similar car with more features and a more powerful engine. IMO, Ford is losing out on that opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It just makes the Vento extremely VFM in my opinion. If VW brings in a comfortline variant then it will become even more difficult for the NFS to survive. Hugely disappointed with the high price tag. Or may be we were expecting too much!
+1000 to that.
Even after the minor price increase and a (hopefully) facelift of interior features (read : steering wheel controls, a better ICE with USB & AUX options, etc), the Vento might still look VFM.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:24   #582
BHPian

Any idea how much it is priced in Bangalore? I was kind of expecting this price as the sales guy told me that OTR it will be 12L for the titanium diesel. Not sure if it has become 13 now as tax rates are very high in Bangalore. Agree that it could have been priced better. Optra Magnum looks even more VFM now!
Old 14th July 2011, 14:30   #583
BHPian

Seems like my wait of about 8 months gone in vain... The sales guys were very confident of a competitive pricing undercutting even the Vento. Now I feel like, don't know what to do... maybe start from scratch all over again !

Although it seems very unlikely that Ford would do some course correction very soon, but I'll wait for 1 week before cancelling my booking.

Old 14th July 2011, 14:30   #584
Senior - BHPian

Whoa Ford aspiring to be a premium badge here and with what ? ;-) This is over-priced , I am sure that there will be dealer offers sooner than later. Well being over priced would ensures a quicker delivery though one would have to spend a time justifying why one paid the premium ( for Honda owners it was easier , Ford with no similar reputation to boot it would be much harder )

As consumers don't we deserve a slap in the face ? I experienced first hand the mad scramble when booking the Vento where folks just dished out 50K-75K without seeing the car in flesh or test driving it , the NFS takes the cake - people gave advances without seeing it in flesh (referring to those who gave the money before unveiling), TD-ing and even knowing the price ! Truly rupee has been completely devalued.
Its also pretty nonsensical that we choose to patronise "unofficial" booking , why should it exist at all ? Just to get ahead of the queue ?
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 14:34   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I dont know why people are worried about. For the first some manufacturer has gone ahead and given ABS, EBD, immobilizer and Airbag as standard on all the variants of a premium entry sedan. There is no cheap trick of creating a low price variants the way Toyota did with LIVA at 3.99 lakhs which neither they plan to sell nor any customer will buy. I might be wrong but In feature terms one can compare Fiesta base vehicle with top ends of City Verna and Vento.

I have to admit this is quite a bit of quality pricing. Kudos to Ford Team for bringing this vehicle to India.

Well the reason is simple, as the Auto market is divided into different segments. In Sedans, there are catogorizations (not by business but generally by customers):
1. Entry segment
2. Cars below 10L
3. 10Lakh - 25 lakhs
4. Above 25 lakhs.

Once a car moves to above 10L the expectation of customers starts changing a lot. The whole game changes and the mere goodies that you can give in point 2 will not longer apply.
Above 10L cars have to fight with players like Corolla, Jetta, Superb and Civic. Which I am sure Fiesta will loose.

Check it yourself, the moment you say price above 10L to a car aspirant, he is not bothered if it has airbag etc in entry. He will move out of the showroom. Try speaking to a relative and you will see the same reaction.

Ford has put Fiesta in a teritory which was supposed to have been for Focus in India. Its like new Swift coming at an entry cost of INR 7 lakhs (ex showroom).
You cant bring a replacement car costling almost 2 lakhs more than your older cost.

Again these are my personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks