Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 15:08   #601
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

I had almost zeroed into a Fiesta Diesel, but the pricing has really put me off. I might end up buying one at a later stage if at all there are some price revisions. Till then I'm strongly considering a Verna SX Diesel and an Optra Magnum. Sadly VW has no dealership in my hometown and even in my state. The nearest one being atleast 450 kms away, so not considering the Vento as of now. Atleast the base Fiesta diesel was expected to be a VFM package. Ford should seriously consider its pricing strategy again. Many of us might buy it since the Fiesta is an all-round package, but a 50K-75K off the ex-showroom prices would have been surely apreciated.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:11   #602
Team-BHP Support

Pricing comparo updated on page 1 of this thread. Here it is again :

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2011 at 16:38.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:17   #603
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Whoa Ford aspiring to be a premium badge here and with what ? ;-)
Who holds the premium tag – Volkswagen, Honda? For me, these are all mass-market brands, and considering the fact this segment (where Fiesta sits) is highly price-sensitive, Ford has got it slightly wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
As consumers don't we deserve a slap in the face ? I experienced first hand the mad scramble when booking the Vento where folks just dished out 50K-75K without seeing the car in flesh or test driving it , the NFS takes the cake - people gave advances without seeing it in flesh (referring to those who gave the money before unveiling), TD-ing and even knowing the price ! Truly rupee has been completely devalued.
Its also pretty nonsensical that we choose to patronise "unofficial" booking , why should it exist at all ? Just to get ahead of the queue ?
Completely agree!
I think unofficial booking happen in two scenarios (1) You liked what you saw, and have total faith in the manufacturer / product (2) What you mentioned above – to get ahead in the queue.
Folks belonging to (1) will go ahead with the booking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
You cant bring a replacement car costling almost 2 lakhs more than your older cost.
Valid statement, but this always happens right? And is the new Fiesta really a replacement car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Pricing comparo updated on page 1 of this thread. Here it is again :
Rehaan, the ex-showroom price for Linea T-Jet+ in Delhi is Rs. 906,473. I feel that should be added in as well (in the 4th row for Petrol)

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2011 at 16:39. Reason: FYI - Added T-jet plus to the price comparo. Thanks.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:23   #604
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me or are there others who think that after the release of prices, the Linea MJD (or even the T-Jet) suddenly seems even more well-priced as compared to the New Fiesta?

It has the same level of equipment (except footwell lighting!), equally good (if not better) handling and dynamics with a delectable HPS, similar specs from the engine (diesel) and a much superior petrol (T-Jet), now also being offered with some discounts. Only the FE of the Linea *might* be lower by 2 kpl or so.

You could stretch the difference between top-end diesels of both cars by almost Rs 2 lakhs now after the discounts! If only Tata-Fiat knew how to utilise their opportunities.

Last edited by architect : 14th July 2011 at 15:25.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:25   #605
BHPian

As everyone's already stated, totally disappointing pricing from ford. I thought the ANHV was slightly overpriced but this is far worse.

I can get an optra magnum LT in bangalore for ~11 lakhs after discounts. I'm not interested in paying 11 lakhs for a base fiesta diesel.

Ford is going to repeat the same mistake as they did with the old Fiesta, bring in limited editions with discounts later. They've just put the nails in their own coffin.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:26   #606
BHPian

After the Figo launch, I think people were expecting too much from Ford. That may be the cause of disappointment for many. And regarding the comparison with Verna, people take every opportunity to bash it just because it's from Hyundai? I don't understand. Safety - now what is the basis of the argument that Fiesta is safer than the RB? Same goes for FE. The ARAI figures are 23.5kmpl for the Fiesta and 23.5kmpl for the 1.4L Verna D and 22.32 kmpl for the 1.6L Verna D, which makes much higher power and torque than the humble 90bhp Fiesta (a deficit of 36bhp for a comparison). And build quality - what is the basis of comparison? Please enlighten.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:28   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Is it only me or are there others who think that after the release of prices, the Linea MJD (or even the T-Jet) suddenly seems even more well-priced as compared to the New Fiesta?

It has the same level of equipment (except footwell lighting!), equally good (if not better) handling and dynamics with a delectable HPS, similar specs from the engine (diesel) and a much superior petrol (T-Jet), now also being offered with some discounts. Only the FE of the Linea *might* be lower by 2 kpl or so.

You could stretch the difference between top-end diesels of both cars by almost Rs 2 lakhs now after the discounts! If only Tata-Fiat knew how to utilise their opportunities.
My thoughts exactly regarding the T-Jet. If only Fiat could somehow solve their A.Sales Service image - they haven't been able to address this for many, many years now, and surely the tie up with Tata Motors was never going to solve the problem (sorry to say this, as being a long serving Tata man myself)

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 14th July 2011 at 15:31.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:29   #608
BHPian

I am definitely disappointed by the over-pricing of the NFS by at least 50K against my expectations. But this is not a deal breaker for me. I am going ahead with the car. My reasons are as under :

1. Need a reliable diesel car (previous gen. Fiesta faith carries forward)
2. Proven fuel efficiency (previous gen. Fiesta faith carries forward)
3. I am not too much of a gizmos person. Add or subtract a few here and there would not make too much of a difference
4. I had started scouting for a car a year ago in a higher segment, then considered the C segment again as an intermediate purchase which holds good for the next 3-4 years - purely financial reasons.

Edit : Was contemplating the new Verna as a second choice, but the 5 month waiting period is a bit too long.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 14th July 2011 at 15:43.
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:32   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
After the Figo launch, I think people were expecting too much from Ford.

And build quality - what is the basis of comparison? Please enlighten.
I agree with the first line. Maybe we guys need some some to get over the shock and truly appraise the car for what it's worth.

If You have pressed the body panels / slammed the doors of both, the answers will be readily available.

Last edited by optimist : 14th July 2011 at 15:35.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:33   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Disappointing pricing by Ford especially the Diesels!

Ford prices Fiesta well above Hyundai Verna, Volkswagen Vento and Honda City | DWS Auto India

"The petrol range prices start at Rs. 8.23 lakh (for Style) and go up to Rs. 9.42 lakh (for Titanium Plus). The diesel range prices start at a whopping Rs 9.27 lakh (for Style) going up to 10.42 lakh (for Titanium Plus).
The pricing approach of Ford is puzzling. Ford was expected to price the new Fiesta rather competitively vis-à-vis Honda City and Hyundai Verna. Ford seems to have done the opposite.
The base petrol version is a good Rs 74,000 costlier than the base Honda City which is priced at Rs. 7.49 lakh. In fact, City has another version, 1.5 SMT which is marginally cheaper at Rs 8.19 lakh.
Things get worse with the diesel version: The base Style variant at Rs 9.27 lakh is a good Rs. 1.18 lakh costlier than base Verna diesel which is priced at Rs. 8.09 lakh. Another strong diesel contender, Volkswagen Vento Trendline comes at Rs 7.99 lakh"

Cheers!
Old 14th July 2011, 15:37   #611
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
After the Figo launch, I think people were expecting too much from Ford. That may be the cause of disappointment for many. And regarding the comparison with Verna, people take every opportunity to bash it just because it's from Hyundai? I don't understand. Safety - now what is the basis of the argument that Fiesta is safer than the RB? Same goes for FE. The ARAI figures are 23.5kmpl for the Fiesta and 23.5kmpl for the 1.4L Verna D and 22.32 kmpl for the 1.6L Verna D, which makes much higher power and torque than the humble 90bhp Fiesta (a deficit of 36bhp for a comparison). And build quality - what is the basis of comparison? Please enlighten.
+1 to that. Just because ANHV is from a Korean car company, doesn't mean its not capable. IMO Hyundai has got a great car to our shores and even though it doesn't handles well, it will surely sell. The Etios is proof that most customers in India are not driving enthusiasts and they prefer a VFM product.

Coming back to the topic, the Fiesta indeed is well built and the dashboard, controls, steering wheel and front seats are nothing short of awesome. But the quality of the rear, specially the door handles look cheap. The price would have been surely justified if the quality of the rear matched the front and the 1.6 engines were on offer. For the current spec, the prices are surely 60K higher in each model than it should have been. I still may go for the Fiesta Diesel, but I'm disappointed with the price. Wish Fiat brings the 1.6 turbocharged diesel soon. For 12 lakhs of sweat and blood, I'll prefer the turbocharged Linea over anything else, anyday.

Last edited by //M : 14th July 2011 at 15:39.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:46   #612
Senior - BHPian

Day light Robbery..!! The moderate success of Figo has got in to Ford's Head. This in a segment getting crowded with much better cars. Another Jazz in the making.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:51   #613
Senior - BHPian

I am disappointed or rather shocked like everyone else.
What surprises me is this -
The Fiesta is the last of the major launches in the segment. They had the last mover advantage. They know cars like ANHC/Vento/Verna are tough competitors and no push overs, plus all of them have a better brand image than Ford.

In spite of knowing all of this, they had the audacity to price their base version (Style) above the Vento HighLine or the ANHC S-MT.

Limited Edition Fiesta's are not far away.

I would expect lot of cancellations.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:55   #614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

Very valid point, especially for the T-Jet. But looking at the way Fiat is doing business, I am quite certain that that top end Fiesta petrol will sell more than the T-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
I am definitely disappointed by the over-pricing of the NFS by at least 50K against my expectations. But this is not a deal breaker for me. I am going ahead with the car.
Sugeeta: with the pricing out, have you decided on the trim - is it Titanium or Titanium+? And have you contacted the dealer on the possible delivery date?

Interested to see the first hand ownership report of the now-pricey car

Edit: Ford India website is updated with the full details of the New Fiesta (pricing included)

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th July 2011 at 16:04. Reason: Note added
Old 14th July 2011, 15:56   #615
Senior - BHPian

Horrible pricing by Ford, those who were sitting on the fence will run to Hyundai showroom after seeing the Fiesta pricing. I see price correction withing few months.

That rear looks ugly according to me.

Are they planning to launch modified version of current Fiesta? My friend spotted one in Bosch facility in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks