Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 10:21   #976
Team-BHP Support

Re: TD of New Ford Fiesta Diesel (aka Ford Fiesta DOA or Ford's version of the Jazz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
As for my own plans on buying a new car, here are the options I now am looking at:
1. Continue with my trusty but not yet rusty Fusion, and wait for the 2012 Ford Focus which may be the type of upgrade I am actually looking for, and hope like hell that Ford gets its pricing right next time around.
2. Give the Vento a go, and just wait out the waiting period for delivery. Or maybe the ANHC. (Sorry, but just can't go for the Verna Fluidic if its handling is anything like the older Verna)
3. Spend a bit more and go for a Chevrolet Cruze!
4. Spend even a bit more and maybe go for the Renault Fluence (Petrol)!
Yours is my story! I am in the same boat (have a 2005 Fision +)!.
Even I was looking at an change in the coming times. Your account on the NFS, surely does not inspire confidence.

I was hoping about the Renault Duster (and not Fluence). If that does not work, was floating between Vento and Fiesta and was leaning towards Fiesta. And thats when I read this!
Old 26th July 2011, 10:48   #977
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Going by the reviews, it seems like the Linea could have a huge fan following, IF they come out with a more powerful engine, the rest is sorted out.

As for the Verna, I am sure aftermarket shockers should take care of the bouncy & not so sharp enough handling.

Surprisingly Ford Fiesta is not as Fiesty as one would have expected.

Cheers
Old 26th July 2011, 16:09   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I was hoping about the Renault Duster (and not Fluence). If that does not work, was floating between Vento and Fiesta and was leaning towards Fiesta. And thats when I read this!
Hmm... when is the Duster expected? I recall reading some UK(?) reviews where it got strictly average ratings as a safe but not too classy or exciting choice. Wonder whether Ford is considering the Ecosport for us here...
Old 26th July 2011, 17:00   #979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm... when is the Duster expected? I recall reading some UK(?) reviews where it got strictly average ratings as a safe but not too classy or exciting choice. Wonder whether Ford is considering the Ecosport for us here...
@Mustang mentioned only Focus next year. So no Kuga or Ecosport.
Duster seems to tick all the right boxes. Extremely functional. Hope its positioned well.

So not to digress from Fiesta topic, I would mostly be the sole guy driving. So if drive seating is good, should be OK for me.
How bad is the back seat? Bad enough for long drives?
How was the mid range torque which is mostly useful for city driving.

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2011 at 17:02.
Old 26th July 2011, 17:12   #980
BHPian

Got a call from the Ford showroom.

I inquired with him on what are the discounts on the new Fiesta.
He said no discounts. The new Fiesta is on waiting list and they have got lots of bookings.

Frankly, felt the guy was totally fibbing and just told him to cut the crap and call back when he comes back to the ground.

Cheers
Old 26th July 2011, 17:47   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So not to digress from Fiesta topic, I would mostly be the sole guy driving. So if drive seating is good, should be OK for me.
How bad is the back seat? Bad enough for long drives?
How was the mid range torque which is mostly useful for city driving.
Well, it was fine in the driver's seat. Not entirely sure that I liked the extended sides of the seat back, but maybe it's just something to get used to.

It's not that the back seat was bad, it's just that it didn't give me the sense of space I was hoping for. Perhaps my opinion is adversely affected by what I am accustomed to feeling in the Fusion, not to mention all the earlier pre-launch hype on the NFS. So it is more a feeling of disappointment in the available space, though as I mentioned in my post, I find the Fiesta Classic rear seat feels more spacious!

Everyone in my family likes the Fusion - both front and back seats, and I'm pretty sure they would not appreciate being switched to the NFS back seat, knowing that it involves shelling out a cool 11 Lakh. Seeing that I bought my Fusion brand new at 6.3 Lakh, they would not be impressed, even if the NFS boot is bigger (Fusion's boot area is not that bad anyhow)!

This is probably a great car for a single guy (or girl) or a couple with a small kid, but if you have adults who would regularly sit in the back then maybe not the right choice.

As for torque, I felt the car was fine during the test drive. Felt just a tad underpowered when setting off from a standstill, but overall I enjoyed driving the car.

So while it might be a great (if overpriced) car in general, I'm afraid it's not the right car for ME.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 26th July 2011 at 17:48.
Fusion2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 18:01   #982
Senior - BHPian

I drove the car after much debate. The car seems adequately powered and it doesnt feel slow if you know what i mean. Sure its not quick, but it doesnt feel underpowered.
The Steering is horrible to hold and the space inside the car is poor. Even the front two seats dont have enough width and i can imagine 2 large sized people not enjoying touching each other while driving. As ive always said, its really sporty in terms of styling (exterior and interior) and is best bought by a single person.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:02   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Personally I find the reviews in NDTV car & bike show much more realistic, and he is pretty good in explaining the cars without much fake enthusiasm
You talking about Siddharth? Looks like he has a good fan following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Note: Why we are talking about all these reviews when we have the official Team-bhp reviews?
Team-bhp should start some comparo reviews also. Would be nice to have couple of cars compete with each other. Basically I found this review to be neat and pretty much aligned with team-bhp review.

OT:

Quote:
Hmm... when is the Duster expected? I recall reading some UK(?) reviews where it got strictly average ratings as a safe but not too classy or exciting choice.
Duster is expected during Oct 2012. It is supposed to be an entry level SUV competing with Safari & Scorpio.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:57   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You talking about Siddharth? Looks like he has a good fan following.
That’s right. I find his presentation quite straightforward, and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
Team-bhp should start some comparo reviews also. Would be nice to have couple of cars compete with each other. Basically I found this review to be neat and pretty much aligned with team-bhp review.
Oh yes, that would be ideal.
By the way, just quoting the comment from Rehaan on the driving impressions of Fiesta petrol and immediate competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Let me say i've not driven the new Verna, only sat in it at a standstill, so i'll exclude it from this comparo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Ride quality (for a passenger) : The Vento and Linea are similar, and the Fiesta is a bit firmer
Handling : This is a hard one. All 3 cars are good handlers, however, its the fun-to-drive aspect that is noticeably different between them. See below...
From a petrol-head's point of view, my rating of fun-to-drive would be :
1) Linea T-Jet : Very communicative steering, good dynamics and fun turbocharged engine!
2) Fiesta Petrol : Involving steering (though not as much feedback as the Linea), good dynamics, uninspiring engine
3) City : Sharp steering, average dynamics, nice engine - though surprisingly, doesn't love to rev.
4) Vento Petrol : EPS is too light and disconnected, good dynamics, uninspiring engine

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th July 2011 at 21:00. Reason: Quote edited
Old 26th July 2011, 23:32   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Dealer says 1st lot for Delhi will be dispatched from plant by 27th / 28th July. Should get our deliveries by 1st week of August. Same schedule is being followed for all locations barring a some colours.
Hey, thats great news... so yours gonna be the first NFS on the forum ! Look forward to an ownership thread from you soon after

Btw, just read on the Vento thread that you have 3 ventos within your family/friends. Would be so nice of you to share your views on the performance of the petrol vento (on the vento thread of course !)

Thanks...
Old 27th July 2011, 00:09   #986
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for my own plans on buying a new car, here are the options I now am looking at:
1. Continue with my trusty but not yet rusty Fusion, and wait for the 2012 Ford Focus which may be the type of upgrade I am actually looking for, and hope like hell that Ford gets its pricing right next time around.
2. Give the Vento a go, and just wait out the waiting period for delivery. Or maybe the ANHC. (Sorry, but just can't go for the Verna Fluidic if its handling is anything like the older Verna)
4. Spend even a bit more and maybe go for the Renault Fluence (Petrol)!
I have been looking at replacing my 2007 Fusion for a few months now. I guess it is kind of a curse that I'm unable to decide on a replacement as none of the cars give the "Fusion Package". I was sincerely hoping for the NFS would be the one, but it seems to be a different story.

My Fusion has run 1.17 Lakh kms till date and still runs like a dream, but I have short listed SX4 and Optra Magnum as the cars that could replace the Fusion. If I don't find these cars to be worthy replacement, I hope some of us could join together and request Ford to restart the production of Fusion on "Made To Order" basis.

I saw Ford Ecosport in Brazil. Looked better than the Fusion.

Last edited by MAS : 27th July 2011 at 00:14.
Old 27th July 2011, 01:35   #987
Senior - BHPian

Today the 2nd Quarter results of Ford was declared and there was this interesting bit on Ford strategy which somewhat explain the pricing strategy (Ford Second-Quarter Net Drops Less Than Estimated as Car Prices Increase - Bloomberg is the link to the story)

"Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally raised prices for Fiesta and Explorer sport-utility vehicles to offset some of the $4 billion in higher costs that Ford expects this year, including manufacturing spending"

Further, "Ford raised prices three times and lowered discounts more than the industry average in their home market during the first half" so India pricing strategy was clearly dictated by global honchos !

Even with the higher pricing, Ford Fiesta isn't doing too bad in the US as compared to its rivals ( supply problems of Honda and Toyota of course helping it like everyone else )
Old 27th July 2011, 02:44   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Finally I managed to pen down the Test Drive report. It ended up being a LOT longer than I had imagined, so hope you have patience to read it.

As mentioned before, have put it up on the Driven! thread.
Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2441565

PS: It starts with the Driven and Felt report I had posted here and then from the next post it comes to the day one actually did the TD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Thanks Positive for your report.

I guess the deal breaker for the NFF will be its pricing. Frankly considering both Petrol and Diesel cars between the ANHV, Vento, ANHC & NFF, it will boil down to how one individually feels about the car. For the common man the family takes the decision and as a package these cars suit most requirements of a family. However as Indians we have seen that premium pricing will have limited takers especial if the family does not perceive any justification of the paying the higher price.

Cheers

KPS
You are welcome, KPS. In Petrol the ANHC seems to be the most sensible buy (limited thought applied to the petrol), especially after the price cut. In Diesels, my favourite by a HUGE margin is the Optra Magnum, though it would lack the 'newness' valued by many.

About the deal breaker issue, will put down some thoughts on the NFF below.

Quote:

Looks
-------------
Sitting inside the car (Titanium Plus), I immediately just felt that it was too small for me. I don't know if is the dark coloured interiors, or the wraparound feeling from the dashboard and seats, or the shape compared to my Fusion, or what?

Tried sitting in the back, and was appalled at how cramped it felt (I'm 5' 11''). I have been in the back of any number of Ford Fiesta (classic) taxis, and never felt this way, is the NFS really bigger than the car it replaces?
To me (am 6'), the knee room in front felt a LOT better than the Fiesta Classic. After adjusting the seat for acceptable knee room in front, I could not even enter the Classic. Had to move the seat about 2-3 steps just to get in. With the NFF, I had to move it one step to get acceptably get in. So, in my experience the NFF is bigger.

BTW, the NFF seemed much smaller to me in pics, than in real life.

Quote:
Though this may be because I have a dual SIM phone?
Don't know how this is supposed to be. Are ALL phones meant to work with all bluetooth enabled ICE/Cars? I expect there would be some limitations based on Operating systems of phones. The common ones I'd expect to work would be: iphone, blackberry, android, windows mobile; possibly even (standard?)java based ones.

Quote:
The TD itself was fine. This is the first time I've ever driven a diesel car, and really couldn't make out much difference except maybe for a bit of engine noise when starting off.
That is a huge compliment to Ford!
Quote:
Sales guy said the GC is only 156 mm - maybe that's why it's not mentioned on the spec sheets!
Any clarification on the GC of this car? It was meant to be increased from the international model by using higher profile tyres or something. 156mm may be of the international model.
Quote:
Looked in the boot and before I could ask, sales guy says the spare is only 14 inches. He says it is smaller, so that customers should only use it as a temporary until the puncture is fixed. Uhhh...if you just gave me a normal 15 inch alloy like the other ones, then it wouldn't matter would it?
If that were the reason, they could give a normal rim 15" wheel!

Given this is meant to be a drivers car, how would using a smaller rimmed tyre affect one on a highway trip?

I for sure would hate to be using a setup on a hill/highway drive where I know I am running on a compromise on tyres (or brakes for that matter). And why? Because Ford wants to ensure that I put the spare back in the boot? Yikes!

Quote:
Asked the salesperson how many bookings they have had for the NFF
When I had asked, the chappy said that he was absent yesterday and hence had no idea!!!

Quote:
Seems like the Ford marketing chaps are expecting to sell cars on word of mouth only?
For that, they should at least have taken out an all out drivers car!! Then it could have sold through word of mouth within the community.

Quote:
All the gadgets, Pull Drift Compensation and other whizbang stuff are cool, but the interior size somehow felt too small for me - and if I have to trade in my Fusion for a new car worth upwards of 11 Lakh, I want it to feel like a step up, not a step down!
TD the forgotten car - Optra Magnum (Hey, I say that yet again!!!)

Quote:
Perhaps some business management guru will write this up as a MBA case study for how not to launch a new car in India.
Good one mate! And that happens after the success of the Figo!!

Quote:
--------
Curze is meant to have an upgrade soon. So if you buy it just before the launch, you could save a hefty packet. The cabin of the current one is a bit of an issue though. With a tyre upgrade, I expect this one to be even better to drive. Is so much fun on the highway - right foot depressed 2" = overtaken the next car!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Yeah, Diesel version. But not Fiesta Classic, its Fiesta SXI at the price of Classic with few more freebies.

2k cancellation charges :(...SE told me multiple times there wont be any cancellation charges at the time of booking. Let me see the outcome.
1. Congrats Surprise. Wishing you many many happy and fun filled miles ahead. Even though I wasn't very regular on the thread, I appreciated the links you brought in and the comments you added; rather even so in the older NFF thread. Appreciate you effort to share with the community.

2. From what was mentioned in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread, if you push for it rightly, one should not get charged anything for cancellation (not talking finance charges, in case you went in for that). Rather, when one thinks of it, they should be giving us interest!! (IIRC it was a discussion between bansal98 and khoj)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some thoughts on the NFF (after that TD etc).
As I had expressed before, Ford may have priced the NFF keeping in mind that they don't want to be seen as a Sub-Hyundai brand. More so keeping in mind the launches they have lined up for India.

Where they probably goofed up was in not getting the 1.6 engine. When I am looking back a few days after the TD, this car has many things going for it for someone who enjoys driving. Where it IS a letdown is, especially considering the price is, that it is not quick enough to make it a truly fun to drive car.

Had the 1.6 motor been there, it would have been a different story. A totally different story. The price premium may have made sense. If one thinks of a family which doesn't have particularly tall people using the car often (that should account for a very large part of Indians), it actually works well. The rear bench experience is better than the Fluidic in such a case (visually less claustrophobic, better seats). Also, the car feels a LOT more solidly put together, has comparable gadgetry, a LOT better to drive, even more so on at higher speeds/on the highway/on the hills; it also feels a lot safer to drive.

Now the question in many people's mind is - Fluidic, Linea or NFF and maybe the ANHC (people usually forget the Optra!). With a 1.6 motor, this one could have made a very strong case for itself. It would have outscored the Linea for most people, despite the Linea's steering feedback. Fluidic would mainly score on more legroom and A$$, with most other big points going to the NFF. Vento would have been a tough one, but I suspect, many would have preferred the NFF (partially due to the Vento's cabin/feature list).

With the current 1.5 NFF it seems like an average car on many fronts and really doesn't 'thrill enough' either, and hence as an overall package.makes a VERY poor case for it'self.

After the price shock settling down and the TD taken, the bigger letdown seems to be the smaller engine than the price really.

As it has been said before (including by, yours truly) If only Fiat had better A$$ and a 1.6 motor on it's Linea, it had a killer of an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Aah yes! That would be useful. In the meantime, we could do a bit of it ourselves, possibly at the Driven! thread
(linked on the top of this post)

Last edited by Poitive : 27th July 2011 at 02:45. Reason: Formatting
Old 27th July 2011, 07:46   #989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Any clarification on the GC of this car? It was meant to be increased from the international model by using higher profile tyres or something. 156mm may be of the international model.
If that were the reason, they could give a normal rim 15" wheel!

Given this is meant to be a drivers car, how would using a smaller rimmed tyre affect one on a highway trip?
The GC bit is updated in Page 1 of this thread. Its 168mm. Pretty good for a car with taut suspension setup. Here is the link to the post (refer to Driving Impression section)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2399612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
Had the 1.6 motor been there, it would have been a different story. A totally different story. The price premium may have made sense. If one thinks of a family which doesn't have particularly tall people using the car often (that should account for a very large part of Indians), it actually works well. The rear bench experience is better than the Fluidic in such a case (visually less claustrophobic, better seats). Also, the car feels a LOT more solidly put together, has comparable gadgetry, a LOT better to drive, even more so on at higher speeds/on the highway/on the hills; it also feels a lot safer to drive.
The above mentioned points are good enough for a sensible buy. I feel the 1.5/1.6 case is more about expectations. But the original 1.6 (120ps) would have made a huge difference in the petrol car scene. Petrol anyway is the low volume segment, and hence they would have ditched the tuned for FE philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive
After the price shock settling down and the TD taken, the bigger letdown seems to be the smaller engine than the price really.
I feel the biggest deterrent still is the price. Even folks who have booked the car are going for a cancellation without doing a TD.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 09:54   #990
BHPian

I was itching to have a go with the new Fiesta ever since it launched, if only to satiate my curiosity. Went down to Metro Ford yesterday and had a drive of the Petrol Titanium +.

According to me, very briefly, here are its strengths and weaknesses.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STRENGTHS:

- Exceptionally light steering excellent for city use, by far the most POWER-assisted steering I have ever seen. How this weighs up at higher speeds I do not know, because I did not get the chance to take it on clearer roads.

- The gadgetry is actually quite intuitive to use, which makes this a very competent car with nifty tools for convenience.

- Aggressive looks stands out from the current crop of sedans. It certainly looks posher than the Verna. I think the back looks pretty good, certainly better in the flesh than I have seen in the pictures.

- Outstanding ride. Within the 15 minute drive that I took, I had enough bumps and potholes to see just how beautifully this car can take bad road sections at low to medium speeds.

- Overall, as a city car I found this very easy to drive, and I guess others who have driven it on a highway can comment better on its high-speed manners.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEAKNESSES:

- Interiors. period. The quality of the dash, steering, door pads leave a LOT to be desired. I loved the front seats, hated the rear seat and loathed the awkwardly placed rear arm rest.

- Rear seat is nowhere near as comfortable as the Honda City. Its too upright, with a horribly located (and finished) arm rest to boot.

- Petrol engine was not too eager to show a clean pair of heels to anyone. The City is simply in a different league.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the whole, I am afraid this car has no idea who it needs to target. It just stands out for feeling fresh and different, but once that dies down, the going could get tough. The interiors are simply deplorable. I can safely say some parts of it were even worse than my Punto!

This car costs as much (or slightly more) than a City of comparable spec. In my view, the Trend Variant is as loaded as the City V. Yet, if I had to choose between the two, I would be severely tempted to go with the City. if only then can work some magic with the Fiesta's interior quality, and I might tilt the ball in its favour, just so slightly.

P.S. I saw a Fiesta in the 'Squeeze' colour and honestly loved it to bits! Suits this car really well, but could be too adventurous for the taste of the average Indian consumer. WHY is there no shade of red though? Very strange.

Last edited by Pyrotek : 27th July 2011 at 09:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks