Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 19:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Did I missed this in my earlier post in this thread

Fantastic. One of the BEST reviews around. Covered every details of it. This would have been even more interesting, if you would have got a chance to test the handling & high speed dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Also, another BHPian did raise an interesting point about a diesel fiesta + pete's box.
Interesting question to whom, FORD Engineer? What was the reply? When I checked with Pete's on the tuning box last month, I got a reply from them to hold on till the car get released. This addition depends on Ford's pricing

Last edited by Surprise : 21st June 2011 at 19:25.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:30   #107
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review.

I would have liked a better feature to be in the Fiesta rather than the cruise control. It would be really difficult to use the feature in India.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:33   #108
BHPian

amazing review. are the spare wheels 175/65 14s? nice work guys
Old 21st June 2011, 21:16   #109
Senior - BHPian

Great review!
Ford has kept up with the tradition with respect few irritants:
  • Indicator/wiper stalks on the wrong side
  • Door lever, lock functionality built in to a single lever (they may think it is clever but it if not safe)
  • Pronounced transmission tunnel
  • Mouse gray (may be slightly deeper shade this time) interiors

The rear door interior trim looks weird, with the window line going at almost 30 degree angle with respect to the arm rest. Interior designers must have cursed the external stylists (who get carried away with 'kenetic' theme etc and forget about the users who mostly have to spend time inside)

I think new Fiesta has confused positioning. It seem to have lost the driver centric nature to an extend (more focus on frugality, ease of driving) but the interior theme is sporty (no pretension of luxury)

@Rahaan, you have mentioned you could not really experience the 'drift cancellation' function in action, but do you think it reduces torque steer which Ford cars normally have(at least Fusion had plenty of it)?
Old 21st June 2011, 21:28   #110
Team-BHP Support

Reading through the comments, it looks like the main gripes are on the following:

1) Downsizing on the petrol engine: Now I feel Ford has done a big favour to themselves and also for the public. At this point when petrol prices are so high, that excellent ARAI FE figure could bring some respectable sales figures. And those who love their petrol motors have an option of having reasonable fun. I think Ford has effectively saved the Fiesta from going in the Linea T-Jet way.

The 120ps 1.6 engine which is on sale in other markets would have been great, but as many mentioned, it will be ideal to reserve that for the S variant at a later stage.

2) Grey/Black Interiors: My personal opinion is that Ford did well by bringing the black interiors. I was getting a bit bored with the overkill of beige and its perceived premium feel.

Ideal scenario would have been to provide option for the customer. If that is too much of customization, maybe an option based on the exterior should have been great.

And on an additional note, I remember reading a comment on the left-hand oriented indicator stalks (or it being on the wrong side). I think, in reality it’s all about what you’re used to. I for one am happy with this setup
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 22:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Standard ABS and Airbags! Great job Ford!
This is one of the most comprehensive reviews for the Fiesta around! Just that handling couldn't be tested to the Fiesta's limits. And the review also answers all space and leg room related queries! Hurray! The new Fiesta doesn't disappoint in this regard. But the rear door panels do disappoint.
The Music system too meets most expectations unlike the Verna's ICE which was deemed as strictly average.
I saw a Fiesta on road and the red interior console lighting is sure bling bling and attracts lot of attention. The Fiesta's front seat is a very special place to be in - as rightly pointed out in the review.

Overall a splendid review and amazing pictures, thanks a million Rehaan

Last edited by aravind.anand : 21st June 2011 at 22:28.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:31   #112
BHPian

Thank you Rehaan for such a detailed review. As always Team BHP reviews are the best.

I am afraid Ford will not be able to price it much below Vento/Verna at least for the diesel. Classic TDCi SXi is 8.6 Ex-showroom, and the New Fiesta TDci has more features even in base variant which has ABS and airbags as well as bigger engine. Hence I expect it will be at least 9 Ex-Showroom.

A few questions:
- Is there enough space under the front seats for the rear seat passenger to place the feet?

- what is the minimum speed from which the car was able to pull away in 2nd gear in the TDCi? You mention it is sluggish, just want to know how bad it is.

- Stiff suspension at city speeds is a bit of issue. Can the stiffness be reduced by having tyres with large sidewall, say 185/70 instead of the 195/60 (yes it will affect grip)
Old 21st June 2011, 22:37   #113
BHPian

Great review Rehaan !!!

Thank you for the effort.

Although, it is the Diesel engine that should be in demand it is disappointing to see that even with such advancement in technology over the years, the performance of the new petrol engine is way below compared to the outgoing 1.6L.

The car, to me, in the pictures did not look or feel as premium when compared to the ANHV or the ANHC. The plastic quality in the second half (below) of the dashboard looked very cheap & of poor quality.

Pricing of the car should be decisive. Lets see how the competition turns out.

Thanks again for the great detailed review.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too bad about the exit of the "famed" 1.6L 100 BHP motor. It was a jewel of an engine that was equally at home in bumper to bumper traffic, as it was high-revving on the open road. I'm surprised & disappointed at the stark contrast between the old 1.6L and the new 1.5L petrol.
The 1.6 is still available in the current Fiesta classic right? Now that car is gonna be a legend, just like the previous OHC VTEC and the Ikon. The interiors of the new car is nice and all but with a poor petrol engine and akward styling, I will still choose the current Fiesta any day!
rosh_aveo1.4 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 22:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Ford please spruce up the door panels before launch. Even the Ikon had fabric inserts on door panels when launched all those years ago. And no rear cabin light? Come on!

Full marks for offering ABS and airbags on all variants. This should become the norm across the segment. VW please note.
Hyundai should note that too!

And coincidentally, all the three points you have mentioned, are common for the ANHC too!
*No fabric door inserts that the previous verion used to have- ANHC too!
*Only one cabin light in the ANHC too - but centre mounted unlike Fiesta's front mounted ones.
*ABS and airbags standard throughout the range? Yes ANHC too!
Strange
Old 21st June 2011, 22:51   #116
BHPian

I just feel ford will not be able to under cut the price of the mighty equipped and capable verna by too much. I don't know but i feel this car will struggle to match the might of verna as well as the well rounded vento.Diesel would constitute the majority of the sales .

my points with respect to the diesel

1] The power train. Can it match the verna /vento in drive-ability ,low end torque, peak performance. The answer is a big No .The verna offers two powertrains with the diesel with six speed transmissions for both.

2] the strength of 1.4 tdci was near zero turbo lag and instant throttle response.
this seems to have been lost due to fixed geometry bigger turbo.added to that clutch is heavier according to the reviews.

3]The target customer is the average indian buyer ,so why neglect the rear interiors so much.It looks cheap at the rear. The choice of seat fabric is sad.Some of the bits are so uninspiring a 8 lakh plus rupee car.

4]so many features have been short changed .no cabin light,smaller spare, rear drum brakes ,If u compare it to the verna this car looks like it belongs a class below, with respect to interiors, equipement ,features, interior trims.

I can go on and on, but i feel ford missed a golden opportunity to compete for the top honors in the segment.

Unless they undercut the pricing of vento and verna massively , [which they can't because of fiesta classic] , i feel fiesta will end up playing second fiddle to the verna and vento.

So no doubt diesel fiesta will sell in decent numbers , but i cannot see it competing with the top dogs in the segment.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 22:52   #117
BHPian

Thanks for such a detailed review. Was waiting eagerly for it.
Love the front styling, looks so menacing. However, the rear is equally boring. Interiors also look quite futuristic.
Hope this one is also able to garner volumes for Ford as the Figo.
Old 21st June 2011, 23:07   #118
Team-BHP Support

Whats the funny looking thing in between the fuel gauge and the trip meter? Some dial?
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:01   #119
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Rehaan, there are quite a few Ford lovers like me looking forward to this one. If things are not working on Jimny front i would definitely put my money on this car for the next purchase.

Ford seems to be pitching the car well and preparing it to be a very cost effective one. No unwanted stuff that a driver oriented car like this would need (say the rear reading lights, to be very honest in my iKON we have used it maybe 10 times in 7 years). Suspension is another area where Ford now has a good grip wrt indian conditions. I used to love the way in which the iKON used to handle and quite sure the new fiesta would be also a entertaining car to own.

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:46   #120
BHPian

Great review, like the details and thought that has gone into the car. It a very compelling offering. Ford is clearly on a roll after Figo. A well rounded product with decent interiors, exteriors, engine, features and handling.

It ticks more boxes than it does not, and critical things like handling are spot on, which puts the Verna on the back foot. They just need to back up the product with attractive pricing and they will have a winner on their hands.

What works in its favour is a lot of concern about the rear seat room but it does not appear to be too much of a problem.

Last edited by raul : 22nd June 2011 at 01:50.

Most Viewed