Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:13   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

Great review Rehaan - 5 stars as usual!
I see a lot of new fiesta hatches in vibrant colors on road here and they look great - the sedan version is also quite a looker - but I see this tendency now a days that designers tend to make cars with fat rear ends!

For Fiesta - I guess the issue with unimpressive rear end is due to 'dzire'ification of the hatch.

Nonetheless -
What I like: standard ABS + airbags
What I dislike: bad plastics / hideous rear center armrest hinge
What I wish for: AT mated with the diesel

IMO cruise control is really not required in India - and more so with MT cars.

Also - is this an abduction vehicle?
Why are there no door unlock buttons in each front/rear door? Isn't this a safety issue in case of an accident?

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd June 2011 at 02:19.
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Needless to say - yet once more - superbly detailed review.

# How are the headlights and fog lamps? Did you get to drive in the dark?

# Do the front seats feel 'higher/lower' than the competition?

# Is there any inkling of a 'S' version later? Although can't really fathom how a 'S' will be justified with such engines.
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also - is this an abduction vehicle?
Why are there no door unlock buttons in each front/rear door? Isn't this a safety issue in case of an accident?
Rehaan has mentioned about this door lock in one of his previous posts...Iam putting that content below for quicker reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to be clear - passengers cannot LOCK the rear doors themselves, but rear passengers certainly CAN unlock and open the door, even when they are locked (unless if child-lock is on).
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
What works in its favour is a lot of concern about the rear seat room but it does not appear to be too much of a problem.
Rear seat space can definitely be a deal breaker. Its a big plus that Ford has done it reasonably well here.

Last edited by Surprise : 22nd June 2011 at 07:04.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Rehaan, i really liked the way you structured it into different categories and loved the small doses of humor in between.

Overall the new fiesta seems to be a competitive product with its competition. What I really liked is the increased level of electronics integration and control it offers to the user/driver. Voice command are surely very useful incase of cell phone use. Its great to see that the stock OEM sound system has good sound quality.

however as already pointed out by many, the powertrain options are little disappointing for enthusiasts. But I think Ford is trying to move away from that image of enthusiasts focused cars to more well rounded completely products. Success of Figo supports there case well.

Lastly great to see that ABS/airbags are standard across the range, finally manufacturers are giving safety more importance and treating it like luxury
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:10   #125
Senior - BHPian

The large rear could have been given a cut out reflector on the bumper to reduce the emptiness (like the Verna)
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:15   #126
BHPian

Great review Rehaan!

Fiesta has improved on previous generation. 1.5L petrol engine is good for customer. Yes 1.6L is gr8, but I am not sure extent with which 1.5L lacks. The review is always compared to 1.5L petrol vs 1.5 Diesel. What Ford done here is making diesel more peppy compared to petrol! Sure certain characteristic of 1.6 is missed, but if economy and market permits, Ford would have done it.

What I like in NFS,

* Tail lamps looks awesome, I have seen similar design in European Mondeo. They are of similar size and in similar position in Mondeo, it looked great.

* Cruise control: That is some thing necessary for most highway traveler.

* Awesome high speed handling. Typical of all Fords.

* Good OEM music system with blue tooth integration. No need to park on receiving the car! Even small things like adaptive volume adjuster taken care. Not sure how effective it is though.

* Good driver seat! good looking chunky SW.

* Foldable mirrors, follow me lights, reverse sensor! Super!

* Side mirror seemed to be better than one in classic.

What I didn't like in NFS (which ford could have improved),
* Boot space is less! I had little embarrassed to pick-up and drop SIL coming from USA. They are allowed 2 check-in. In all probability fitting them in boot is herculean task! Boot space is deep, in many way keeping those two big luggage is difficult.

* No 60:40 rear seat fold: True they have rear seat fordable, but that makes number of passenger less if you are taking lost of luggage.

* No Airbag switch off option. Mr. Ford, Ajay some time needs to travel with his infant alone! Out of so many additional switches would it be hard to add one more switch?

* The spare is entirely of different dimension. Those who upgrade must now scratch their head how much their spare will affect! Buying spare allow of same size might not work as boot may not be big enough to accept the same!

* Don't like interior coloring. They are good for maintain, but non-inspiring. Not a fan of beige, but darker combination also would have better.

What missed in NFS are,

* Child safety features, why? Does Ford expects Ajay is still single or without children? No child seat safety hooks at back?. No possibility to switch of Airbags.

* 6 Airbags would have better. Sure it adds the cost!

What I missed in the review is

* Does seat belts are of pre-tension with load limiter?

* What is the usability of rear door pockets? In classic too, rear window can not hold much (compared with ANHC & SX4).

* Need picture of child lock!

*What is its reach of seatbelt height adjust? To be specific, does it helps for 5' 1" ~ 5' 3" person (Typically shorter spouse)?

* Is it possible to switch on only Fog lamps?

* Is it possible to switch off passenger Airbag?

* Review usually concentrates on taller person. Not all Ajay have taller spouses, also not necessarily all Ajay's are taller! Would it be possible to add short persons (<5' 3" up to 5') perspective.
* How much forward front seat can be taken. IS ABC reachable by short person without compromising seating comfort?
* How are visibility of ORVM, IRVM?
* How much steering adjust helps for shorter person?
* Is armrest usable for shorter person?

* Is insulation in hood is only in Diesel? Is petrol also has similar insulation?

* How much road noise seeps in to cabin at 100km? Other reviews go gaga about some special treatment from Ford here.

Thank you.

EDIT: Thank you vnabhi for one touch window hint. I have edited the post.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 22nd June 2011 at 11:44. Reason: removed question regarding one touch window!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

@Raguholla---There has been a mention of the 'one-touch' window on the driver's side in Rehaan's review. Please search for it.

As regards boot space, I think it is the same as the Classic. I too travelled to the US, and both my suitcases could fit in the boot, with minor adjustments.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:39   #128
BHPian

Thanks for the Great Review, was waiting for this one.

Liked the
- Front end look, looks evil in a nice way!
- Standard Airbags and ABS is a great thing
- Increased shoulder room is good (felt it was not that great in the old one we own)
- Increased cubby holes are a must (again the old one did not have enough)

Disliked the
- Rear end
- Find the interior hard to digest (maybe need to see it in person), the button panel reminds me of the face in the AVP movie .

Hoping for
- A/T availability atleast in mid level trims
- Agressive pricing similar to Figo.

Finally Love the competition and finally feel that the indian customer has some good choice in this segment.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:53   #129
BHPian

@vnabhi: true it is possible to fit in the luggage, but with lots of adjusting! Also depends on your luggage! Also remember that if one has laptop, cabin and you need to take 3 members, this is where it becomes tough!

I have SXI, in this rear speakers intrude into boot space making some of the luggage space unusable. Even boot hinges also is trouble some. I wished they will have better boot with NFS. Even if they can redesign the boot with wheel arch less protruding into boot space will do the justice. Claimed 430 ltrs can't be used as is due to the restrictions, and I am sure this is carried forward in NFS.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

* Is one touch auto up/down widow available? -Yes but only on the driver's side

* Does seat belts are of pre-tension with load limiter? -pre tensioners are there but not sure about load limiters

* What is the usability of rear door pockets? In classic too, rear window can not hold much (compared with ANHC & SX4). -ANHC doesn't have rear door pockets at all! And front ones aren't good enough for 1 L bottles even.

* Is it possible to switch off passenger Airbag? No

* How much forward front seat can be taken. IS ABC reachable by short person without compromising seating comfort? -Almost all cars, especially in this segment, can keep short as well as tall drivers happy!
* How are visibility of ORVM, IRVM? Great!!!

* Is insulation in hood is only in Diesel? Is petrol also has similar insulation? -Only for diesel generally

* How much road noise seeps in to cabin at 100km? Other reviews go gaga about some special treatment from Ford here. -Team bhp review suggest the same too with very little noise coming in at above 100 kmph.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:14   #131
BHPian

* How much forward front seat can be taken. IS ABC reachable by short person without compromising seating comfort? -Almost all cars, especially in this segment, can keep short as well as tall drivers happy!

This doesn't applies to Classic version. My wife complains even after pulling seats front, she has difficulty in using the clutch.
* How are visibility of ORVM, IRVM? Great!!!

This question as a part of above, once you pull seat all the way up, has RM have range to support the new seat arrangement. In case of classic, this is not a issue. You never know what will be the case with NFS.
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:35   #132
xPK
BHPian

Sir ji, tusi great ho!!!!!

What an amazing review. Definitely one of the best car reviews I have ever read (rather each of those came from TBHP itself). Rehaan, thanks a ton for such a wonderful review. Reading the review was like I'm actually sitting in the car and experiencing everything. Thanks to Stratos and GTO as well.

So overall Fiesta seems like a quite a package. Biggest let down for me is interiors. Personally I like the center console, quite futuristic and up market, but not the same case with dashboard and door panels, they seem too dull. Rightly mentioned by Rahaan as 3 lack Rs. hatch sports better interiors. Indeed all these impressions are from Picture I'm getting rid of that shades.

Also nice to see 9/10 rating for audio system. A big to that. It seems like better than Figo's audio system. Personally I found Figo's sound system much better than any sub 10 lack cars. So with this audio system, I definitely won't need to upgrade. (Am I assuming I already bought this vehicle? )

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping all that cost cutting in interiors translates into final price. A blue mid variant (perhaps zxi) diesel not more than 9 lacks OTR pune, I could see one in my parking lot.
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:07   #133
BHPian

Quote:

Just to be clear - passengers cannot LOCK the rear doors themselves, but rear passengers certainly CAN unlock and open the door, even when they are locked (unless if child-lock is on).
Does anyone know if the new Fiesta has an auto-lock feature. I.e., does the central locking engage once the cars sets off?
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:29   #134
BHPian

Re: Other Points

Quote:
Other Points

• Despite an evident demand for Beige interiors, the Fiesta doesn’t have them as an option. The stated reason for this is that they do not suit Indian conditions as they are hard to maintain. The ironic part is they are available on the dirt-eating Endeavour.

[/i]
Amazing & detailed review. However, I wonder what makes Ford so sure about Beige interiors not suiting Indian conditions. They did same with Figo, where they thought rear power windows are not used by Indians. Strange, huh?

Last edited by Panko : 22nd June 2011 at 13:35. Reason: Used the Word -Fiesta instead of Ford
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:37   #135
BHPian

Great Review Rehaan. It was quite detailed and the pics looked amazing.

I think Ford is trying to build a Volumes player in the NFS here and hence the new engines and gear ratios for better F.E. and power at par with the previous Fiesta. It is not a bad strategy IMHO as Indians do think of mileage when they buy a car.

Only thing they now have to get right is the pricing which should undercut the Verna and they have a winner. Else it'll have decent sales but not top of the class.

But my gut feel is the pricing will start at 6.95 Lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks