Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 11:48   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
The majority of T-Bhpians belong to the aam junta.
It's only a few who own lauras, beemers and fortuners in this forum.
And the success of cars like Polo and i20, has clearly proved that the aam junta wants quality products with modern looks.
OT: I'm sorry, but your definition of Aam Junta in this context is wrong. The passenger car penetration is something like 8-12 cars per 1000 people. Technically anyone who owns any car is definitely not part of the Aam Junta.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I am a big Toyota fanboy and sincerely wish this car, along with its twin fails in the market (initial euphoria not withstanding), so that Toyota learns its lesson and starts offering proper vehicles to Indian consumers.

Also, to those that who say every Toyota product so far has been a hit in India, all I have to say is - all the vehicles they have released so far - Qualis, Innova, Corolla and Fortuner fly the Toyota quality flag high, unlike the Etios twins

This may be a cut price Toyota, but then have you seen how many short cuts they have made with the car? It has all the required ingredients for success alright, but the question is - will it last the 4-5 years of abuse on Indian roads? I doubt it considering the flimsy build of the car.

Why does Toyota have to do this to us? Why, Toyota, Why?
Thats a first - flimsy build! I dont think its anywhere close to this!!!

You are way off - if you have taken a TD, then pls elaborate whats wrong. If you havent yet taken a TD, you should take one.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:36   #168
Senior - BHPian

I was comparing the Liva G SP variant with the i20 Magna petrol version as they are priced almost equally at around 5.05 lacs ex showroom Bangalore, the Liva being a couple of thousand rupees on the higher side. I am discounting Figo (Petol) and Swift (petrol) for poor FE and cramped rear space respectively.

I have not driven the Liva hence this comparison is purely on based tech specs available so in short can be called a on-paper comparative analysis.

There is no doubt that i20 Magna petrol variant is loaded with oodles of goodies like multi display meters, dual tone interiors , clutch foot rest, illuminated switches, telescopically adjustable steering , rear defogger ,tachometer , key not removed remainder , luggage lamp, roof antenna, 2 Din audio system with USB & Aux port, etc.. it has a overall better build quality, bigger boot but lacks critical safety feature like drive & passenger side air bags & ABS.

The Liva’s on paper seems to have a better power to weight ratio, decent interior spac, good suspension setup and most important for me safety feature like ABS, EBD & airbags which in my opinion offsets all the above goodies in the i20. Though I am a little apprehensive about the build quality as many of fellow bhpian’s have suggested.
As GTO mentioned in his write up this Liva G SP variant seems to be the most logical value for money variant if anyone wants to go in for a Toyota Liva.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 13:37   #169
BHPian

I think we should have a poll here "Would you buy the Toyota ETIOS Liva with your hard earned money? considering what the competition has to offer" Yes/No.

The idea is not to criticize or praise any car/manufacturer. Just to have an opinion poll (Like the exit poll after elections).

It would be good to cross verify the results of the opinion poll against actual product performance in the market.

I have a feeling that the results of such a pool @ Team-BHP can't deviate too much from the market performance.

Are we game for such a poll?
Old 29th June 2011, 13:48   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
This may be a cut price Toyota, but then have you seen how many short cuts they have made with the car? It has all the required ingredients for success alright, but the question is - will it last the 4-5 years of abuse on Indian roads? I doubt it considering the flimsy build of the car.

Why does Toyota have to do this to us? Why, Toyota, Why?
What's your idea or definition of a flimsy build? Many of the 10 year old M800s are still running on the roads without disintegrating. I would't call M800s being better built than the Toyotas.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:49   #171
BHPian

1. Very detailed & comprehensive review.
2. Disappointed by the Liva. I feel that the car looks dated & the interiors are also not too pleasing. My opinion is that the Liva has a tough competition ahead as this segment is the most competitive & the competitors are offering a plethora of features.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:07   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The majority of T-Bhpians belong to the aam junta.
It's only a few who own lauras, beemers and fortuners in this forum.

picked up.
i20? Read about the crappy treatment handed out to fellow members suffering the steering rattling issue? These are discerning vehicle users, who take care of their vehicles. The damn company is not even willing to state on record that the rattle is a mere inconvenience and is NOT a safety issue! The issue has been swept under the carpet. If I did not value my membership of this community and had regard for the forum rules of conduct I would have let loose with a string of expletives for such conduct which would be truly representative of my linguistic origins. Yet the car flies off the shelf so to speak. Who is buying it? The aam junta!

Now get the difference?

Last edited by RS_DEL : 29th June 2011 at 14:09.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:53   #173
BHPian

Excellent review GTO!!!

Had to ask you why SKODA fabia haven't been considered in comparison. I think with POLO's engine and Sub POLO pricing, fabia is a great competitor.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:18   #174
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always. I was expecting Toyota to price Liva neck to neck with Ford Figo. Q Class is what missing from both Etios and Liva!!
Old 29th June 2011, 17:27   #175
Senior - BHPian

OT: I think Toyota has researched Indian market so well, that they expect us to read the tagline in hindi, not in english. Not 'Q class', but 'Kyon class?'
Old 29th June 2011, 17:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

^
Well most people had the same feeling when Toyota began it's Indian innings with the Qualis. They were shocked with the sandwich box looks and overlooked it's inherent virtues, which later on went on to become the scoop of the decade. I have a feeling that Toyota's gonna pull another rabbit out of the hat with the Liva/Etios brand...
Old 29th June 2011, 18:08   #177
BHPian

Toyota is making Fortunes with the Fortuner, but its small wonder may not appeal to many because of price issues.

Maruti is going to rule forever thanks to overpriced products by the rest.

Toyotas high pricing will help Ford to sell its more resonably priced Figos.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:39   #178
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the Liva nor the Etios , but a couple of my friends who are not petrolheads by the way, had commented that the Etios does not feel like a very well built car. And these folks were earlier driving Santros / swifts so their expectations were not very high either. So is the Liva just a Spacious hatch which hopes to sell on this virtue alone? I personally feel that it will do moderately well as it is going to be available in diesel as well, but will never be a segment leader. The Liva may eventually outsell the Figo and even the Ritz, but may not match the swift. I20 is a little premium especially in diesel, so I would refrain from comparing Liva to the i20.
The etios on the other hand is to be bought by a more "aspirational" buyer who is either upgrading from a b hatch or a first time sedan buyer who has decent expectations. In spite of only the dzire and the Manza being around, I dont think the Etios too will be a market leader in the entry level c segment even with a diesel. People will buy it simply because there are not many options. May be when the NIssan sunny comes in we will have some serious competition {provided NIssan improves its dealer network}.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:44   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
I think we should have a poll here "Would you buy the Toyota ETIOS Liva with your hard earned money? considering what the competition has to offer" Yes/No.

The idea is not to criticize or praise any car/manufacturer. Just to have an opinion poll (Like the exit poll after elections).

It would be good to cross verify the results of the opinion poll against actual product performance in the market.

I have a feeling that the results of such a pool @ Team-BHP can't deviate too much from the market performance.

Are we game for such a poll?
Frankly I am one of the few who is not really impressed or even excited about the car just looking at the and 'Aam Junta' feedback on this forum. Lack of diesel will this car even before it can take off.

Frankly I support your view of having an opinion poll here just to see the first cut knee jerk reaction of we people here on the forum and the Snob value attached to toyota.
Old 29th June 2011, 20:10   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Frankly I am one of the few who is not really impressed or even excited about the car just looking at the anthe Snob value attached to toyota.
Amongst the well informed and affluent automobile buyers the general perception is that Toyota products are boring, stodgy but go on and on. Does that equate to snob value? If so that is very enlightening indeed!

Now go down to the average Joe at whom the vehicle is targeted. What are they getting ? A vehicle which carries with itself the promise of a relatively hassle free ownership courtesy it's lineage. I do not say this promise will be delivered upon. I say this is the expectation. If this expectation is not belied, it is my hunch the volumes that this product will garner will be enviable. Will I be proven wrong? It is very much possible, as I do not have the powers to divine what is in the minds of the prospective buyers and how well the vehicle will perform as it ages. So let us give it the benefit of the daabut ( as the late Peter Sellers would say ) shall we?

What I do find quite amusing if not downright hilarious is, when people take a definitive stand and proclaim it's failure as a certainty! If that is indeed the case then the entire setup at Toyota Kirloskar is manned by imbeciles and needs to junked and maybe some of our esteemed members appointed to run the show on behalf of Toyota in India.
RS_DEL is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks