Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 16:55   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
For Polo its the brand + Diesel
M&M,

The Polo's diesel isn't really too good. And the TDi Polo is a tad high priced. I rarely see Polo TDI on the road. Most are petrols. Polo 1.2's 3 pot petrol in itself sounds like the MJD (Exaggeration of course). The TDi must have been a 4 cylinder motor. If FIAT could make 1248 from 4 cylinders, I don't think it would be technically impossible to make a diesel engine work with little smaller cylinders, to make a 1.2L in 4 cylinders. The difference in refinement is just too big to ignore. VW should have looked at other areas for cost cutting... Polo is selling on the Brand only. (Polo Petrol 1.6 selling on the performance definitely.)

Sorry...
Old 13th July 2011, 18:19   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

The Toyota marketing team seems to be finally up and running. Last weekend we saw the Liva and Etios kept for display at R-city Ghatkopar. Today a TD Liva and Etios vehicles were sent to Cognizant office(s) for test drives and query resolution (and of course booking). I'm presuming they would have done the same for Infosys, Wipro and other major IT offices in Hinjewadi if not Pune.

Good show Toyota
Old 13th July 2011, 23:47   #258
BHPian

I had a short TD of the Liva today and following are my observations:--
1. Exteriors: Good fit and finish along with a decent paint quality. The design is not very exiting nor is it awkward. I would call it a mixture of neutral and boring.
2. Interiors: The car doesn't feel premium, nor very cheap. The centrally mounted instrument cluster, along with the telltale lamps, is neat and easy to read. The seats are ok types with adequate under thigh support. However, I found the seat material to be too hard. The front seats lack proper side cushioning. I couldn't find a suitable incline angle for the driver's seat.Absence of adjustable rear head rests even on the top variant is shocking and the rear seats could become uncomfortable for long journeys. The pillow type rear head rests are not comfortable. The key hole on the steering wheel is ergonomically positioned and is very convenient to use.
3. Ride and handling: The steering is light and has a good feel. All the controls and pedals are light and easy to operate. The ride though, is not very pliant and there is a bit of body roll.
4.Features: Sadly, the car doesn't boast of a big feature list. No power mirrors, no height adjustable driver's seat ( though this is not exactly needed on the car ) , no bluetooth music system ( There is a DVD system on the topmost VX variant ) , no auto A/C.
5.Pricing: The on road price of the better equipped 'V' variant is Rs.6,25,190/- This variant offers A/C, PS, central locking, cooled glove box, tilt steering, tachometer, 2Din music system, fabric insert door trim, rear defogger, rear wiper, dual airbags, ABS, EBD, and 15 inches tyres.
6.Conclusion: If you are looking for all the necessary features along with dual airbags and ABS, the 'V' variant is the one to go for. However, the car is pricey for what it offers and there are other better options available in the market.

Last edited by auto-one : 14th July 2011 at 00:09.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:47   #259
BHPian

This car is most suited for a person who has the following criteria;
1. Not a driving enthusiast, looks at a car for just going from point A to B. And can have only one car on a tight budget.
2. Wants a reasonably spacious (price to size ratio) petrol hatch which can seat 4 to 5 or at least 2 to 3 on a regular basis.
3. It has to be refined, light controls, very fuel efficient, power does not matter at all.
4. Will use it for at least 5 years, mostly within city.
5. Should be peace of mind, predictable, hassle free to own & reasonably priced A.S.S. Quality in terms of reliability & economical to run. Minimal stops to the A.S.S.
6. Not very keen on high end features, wants more of a basic package on a VFM proposition. PS, PW, AC will be good enough, basic ICE, playing FM will be a bonus, or else he can get the entire car accessories for less than 10K (including ICE, remote entry, rubber mats etc.) at the friendly neighborhood accessories shop.
7. Everyone in the house should be able to drive it without much fuss.
8. Should have good resale value & good brand recall when he mentions very rarely and unassumingly to another uninterested in cars type of person about his new car. Basically to show off that he has moved up the ladder from the Marutis that he owned in past.

This guy will never see himself using features like cooled glove box, tilt steering, tachometer, 2Din music system, fabric insert door trim, rear defogger, rear wiper, dual airbags, ABS, EBD, and 15 inches tyres, all these are useless money extracting features that a manufacturer uses.

And such customers form a good 80% of our market.
zulfi hansi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 19:08   #260
Team-BHP Support

Below is some information from zulfi hansi on the Liva diesel version (shared on another thread). Thought it will be good to share it here. Looks like Toyota is fully geared up to fight it out Suzuki. Competition is so fantastic for the customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You are in Luck. There is an un-official confirmation from some guy I know from Toyota that the Liva diesel will be here by next month. May be Toyota are doing the wait & watch for the new Swift diesel pricing.
Quote:
Even I was equally surprised, but that guy had been to the plant for his training on Liva (Petrol), and coincidentally got his hands on the diesel version also. He said that the diesel version will have the same engine which comes in Corolla Altis, but with a different turbo (fixed geo) and power settings. He further said that the Liva diesel might as well come before the Etios or together at one go is what he had to say. The inside talk is to wait for the new Swift launch mainly with its pricing on radar, based on which they are going to finalize their pricing. Chances are that the Etios diesel may be delayed only because of the new Swift Dzire (under 4000mm model), as they want to see its pricing and how the market reacts to that car in comparison to their. Not that they will price Etios diesel in competition with the Swift Dzire (CS), but more concerned with what they will do with the existing one, will they continue the old one and still have the CS version is to be seen, like what TATA did with Indigo range. Considering Indigo CS was a fare hit in the rural market. But one thing is for sure, Toyota will not lose time (to grab market share) once the new Swift is launched, its only matter of time after that. All this is because the Japs do not believe in correcting prices unlike Ford & GM. They do it once and they do it right.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th July 2011 at 19:11. Reason: Additional quote added
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 10:52   #261
BHPian

Now that's some news.Thanks vb-san & zulfi hansi.
I very firmly believe that both the Liva diesel and the Etios diesel are capable of denting MSIL's sales figures if Toyota picks the right price tag. Toyota, don't get into Fiesta territory with the Etios diesel pricing .Things might not turn out the way you wish if you do so. The brand image (if there's any) game becomes tougher as you go up the segment. If priced correctly,I can see the Etios sedan twins pushing the Dzire and Manza almost fully out of the market.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:04   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Now that's some news.Thanks vb-san & zulfi hansi.
I very firmly believe that both the Liva diesel and the Etios diesel are capable of denting MSIL's sales figures if Toyota picks the right price tag. Toyota, don't get into Fiesta territory with the Etios diesel pricing .Things might not turn out the way you wish if you do so. The brand image (if there's any) game becomes tougher as you go up the segment. If priced correctly,I can see the Etios sedan twins pushing the Dzire and Manza almost fully out of the market.
TATA was never their competition and Dzire is what is firmly in their target, and to a great extent the fiesta classic, so we can see a range of pricing which will be wide and open.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 17th July 2011 at 11:05. Reason: missed a word
Old 17th July 2011, 12:34   #263
BHPian

Quote:
TATA was never their competition and Dzire is what is firmly in their target, and to a great extent the fiesta classic, so we can see a range of pricing which will be wide and open.
I agree your opinion and like it has been mentioned earlier in this forum, the Liva has to fight against many well established rivals like MSIL Swift, MSIL Ritz, Ford Figo, Hyundai i10 and i20 etc. which will be tough. On the other hand the Etios has just two main rivals - MSIL Dzire and the TATA Manza (which itself is struggling).
Old 17th July 2011, 14:03   #264
BHPian

Well there are a few out there who prefer the Manza diesel ahead of the Etios and Dzire(especially in the current situation).The problem with chasing the Fiesta's price is that the Dzire's and Manza's sales wont be affected much.At 7L Ex-showroom, the Manza Quadrajet Aura ABS is very tempting.It has got all the goodies.I was stunned by the feature list. Experts and enthusiasts keep saying that it's not a great car.But I think the aam admi will probably go for it seeing the 90 PS engine and the feature list.I think Toyota should target that price range. If they do, even the potential Fiesta owners are likely to go for the Etios.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:14   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
M&M,

The Polo's diesel isn't really too good. And the TDi Polo is a tad high priced. I rarely see Polo TDI on the road. Most are petrols. Polo 1.2's 3 pot petrol in itself sounds like the MJD (Exaggeration of course). The TDi must have been a 4 cylinder motor. If FIAT could make 1248 from 4 cylinders, I don't think it would be technically impossible to make a diesel engine work with little smaller cylinders, to make a 1.2L in 4 cylinders. The difference in refinement is just too big to ignore. VW should have looked at other areas for cost cutting... Polo is selling on the Brand only. (Polo Petrol 1.6 selling on the performance definitely.)

Sorry...
Yes the polo/fabia diesel sounds like Tata 409-- 10.90L. (No offence meant). Also the Micra diesel is very audible. Amongst the diesel engine, i think only the Fiat MJD is less noisy. We will have to check out the small boy 1 ltr Beat Diesel which happens to be sibling of MJD.
Old 17th July 2011, 18:54   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Yes the polo/fabia diesel sounds like Tata 409-- 10.90L. (No offence meant). Also the Micra diesel is very audible. Amongst the diesel engine, i think only the Fiat MJD is less noisy. We will have to check out the small boy 1 ltr Beat Diesel which happens to be sibling of MJD.
@Tata 409!

Yes the MJD really is very silent. And due to that I always have to pay attention and specifically shout "DIESEL" at fuel stations. The guys invariably pull the petrol filler... And yes, I've seen another one which is even more silent than the MJD. At least when I checked it out, the Indica eV2/Indigo CS' CR4 (Re-badged DICOR in 1.4L avatar) was quieter than the MJD.

By the way, when are the Liva deliveries starting? I'm yet to see any on the Pune roads.
Old 18th July 2011, 08:43   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
@Tata 409!

Yes the MJD really is very silent. And due to that I always have to pay attention and specifically shout "DIESEL" at fuel stations. The guys invariably pull the petrol filler... And yes, I've seen another one which is even more silent than the MJD. At least when I checked it out, the Indica eV2/Indigo CS' CR4 (Re-badged DICOR in 1.4L avatar) was quieter than the MJD.

By the way, when are the Liva deliveries starting? I'm yet to see any on the Pune roads.

The deliveries have already started and i have also spotted a couple of Livas on the road here in Bangalore.

As far as Tata Cars are concerned, the ignorant people outside have a wrong notion that Tata is Heavy goods vehicle manufacturer/ Cab manufacturer. The people always under-rate the quality of tata cars. I agree that these many years tata was lagging behind other major players. But today the luanch of Manza, Aria, Vista, Ev2/ CS CR4 is a great development. How many people would have atleast driven the EV2 while considering the purchase of a Hatchback.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 15:19   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Liva booking crosses 1000 in 3 days!

Etios Liva bookings, sales | DWS Auto India

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2011, 19:57   #269
drustogi

Is toyota liva available in automatic and with sunroof? Which are the cars available with them in small car segment?

Old 18th July 2011, 22:07   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drustogi View Post
Is toyota liva available in automatic and with sunroof? Which are the cars available with them in small car segment?
As far as I know the Liva is not available in auto & sunroof. The Hyundai i10 is available in automatic and I think it has a sunroof (anyone please correct me if I am wrong)
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks