Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 15:28   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Spotted a blue Liva @ BTM today morning, I take my words back! Body kits look like some after market job.

Blue shade is sure an eye catcher and paint quality looks good.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:10   #287
BHPian

Hi All,

Got my Liva day before yesterday and i am adding first few shots of my Blu.
The car looks amazing in blue color and i have spruced it up a bit.

Added red black fabric seat covers, got a good deal for JBL music system (Console+2 oval speakers for Rs. 8500), Mats, car cover, etc. (Nothing came free ofcourse, except for the Ambi Pur car perfume.

Will be posting my initial ownership review soon. I have just gone for a small drive till now. Will drive it to Kovalam today evening.

Initial drive was good, and everyone seems to love the color. The finish is good overall and i don't care too much about not so plush interiors. I don't even care about the plastic quality being used.

The best thing about this car, is the Space it comes with. 5 people can fit in easily and has the best in class leg space. This much space is missing even in so called premium hatch i20 as well as in the New swift. All in all, 4 slim people can fit in easily at the back seat (I have tried this).
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-my-liva.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-untitled1.jpg  

mayank10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 00:06   #288
Team-BHP Support

Had an opportunity to drive the Liva for approx 400 kilometers yesterday. The Car was due for first service and this was the occasion.

Positives +

- Good space
- Ride
- Ergonomics
- Good fuel economy
- Decent brakes
- Good wiper & spray throw-up

Negatives -

- The engine and the state of tune
- Steering feel
- Handling
- Instrumentation

The Car was loaded with 5 passengers, with A/C running all the time and my impressions on engine/suspension might differ with others due to the same and looks are personal

I have driven other Cars with same load, but in the Liva, momentum was the slowest. It picked up cleanly from 2nd gear at almost 0 speeds, but whilst moving away from a standstill, it needed to be blipped and you had to put a light foot on the accelerator to not stall the Car.

I revved it upto 4K rpm and post 3,000 revs, the engine sounded coarse and didn't like to be revved. Kept it @ 2000 revs with speedo hovering around 80kmph for most of the drive. I am driving diesel Cars quite a lot and was looking forward for this occasion to drive and enjoy a petrol motor over 4K and music associated with it. Was disappointed. The 1.0 K from A-Star is raspy and post 5,000 revs, its music, same is the case with Swift's 1.2K. Not so here, sadly.

Rarely did I take the Car over 90kmph as I wasn't feeling very confident. Ride was plaint and absorbed bumps and road undulations. Though when I used to overtake a CV and get back again to my lane, I found the suspension acting really independent and felt as though the both ends belonged to different cars. Steering was very light.

The clutch and gearbox were almost perfectly mated with slick throws and good pedal movement (short).

I didn't pay much attention to the interiors, but functionality wise, they do get my vote. Plethora of cubby-holes and decent sized bottle holders to boot. A 2 liter bottle was behind the gear-lever bottle holder and it held itself up.

The instrumentation isn't to my taste and the fuel/odo read-out is small.

The mirror is useful, though shocking for them to miss out on electrically adjustable RVM's on a petrol hatchback costing upwards of 6.5L OTR. They are quite extended too because of the stalk. (See the image where the cloth is tied on the mirror, I am talking about that particular part.

We got a fuel economy of 15+ kmpl, not bad for a car loaded with 5 passengers with A/C running.

I had recommended this Car to my client as his Car ran just 20,000 kms in 7 long years. Hope he won't be disappointed and he being not an enthusiast and this Car being from Toyota should provide him trouble free motoring for years to come.

The Car ain't mine, hence the ribbon, sacred cloth on the RVM and the dent (left front door) on the Car.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-6.jpg  

Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-5.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:38   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
What about the Liva diesel ? Any news on that ?

As per Ernakulam Nippon Toyota ( Kalamassery ),

1) Booking for Liva Diesel will start from September 1st
2) Car Launch expected by 2nd week of September
3) First delivery should be in December
4) Rumored spec - 1.4L 4 cylinder 68ps @ 3800 rpm, 170 NM ( between 1800 to 2400 rpm ) with 5-speed gear box
5) Etios Sedan and Liva Hatch will be using the same Diesel Engine unlike in the case of Petrol.

Last edited by amalji : 28th August 2011 at 21:39. Reason: Missed one point
Old 10th September 2011, 13:00   #290
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Etios, Liva diesel launched

Just saw this piece on Autocarindia website. Toyota has launched diesel versions of the Etios saloon and Liva hatchback. Here is the relevant link:
Toyota Etios, Liva diesel launched | Autocar India

Moderators: Please delete if this is already mentioned elsewhere. Thanks.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:39   #291
mo1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Hi All,

Got my Liva day before yesterday and i am adding first few shots of my Blu.
The car looks amazing in blue color and i have spruced it up a bit.
Hearty congratulations @Mayank10 on your new car! Blue looks really cool!
I TDed a petrol Liva yesterday and the Car has really impressed me. I could only drive it in the city and could not get past the 80kmph. How does the car behave on a highway especially with respect to noise etc? Please post your initial ownership experience when you get a chance, so as to help prospective buyers(like me!). Thanks in advance!
Old 12th September 2011, 17:32   #292
BHPian

Nice review, will there be a review to on the Liva Diesel?
Old 14th September 2011, 00:55   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1 View Post
Hearty congratulations @Mayank10 on your new car! Blue looks really cool!
I TDed a petrol Liva yesterday and the Car has really impressed me. I could only drive it in the city and could not get past the 80kmph. How does the car behave on a highway especially with respect to noise etc? Please post your initial ownership experience when you get a chance, so as to help prospective buyers(like me!). Thanks in advance!
Thanks!!!

Its been 25 days since i got Blu and first service is due in a week.
Will be writing initial ownership review soon.

First impressions:

Positives

1- Smooth Drive- Blu does not require regular gear downshifts, can be taken off in 2nd gear in a standstill. Amazing comfort in both front and rear seats. NVH levels are under control even on highways. I drove Blu from Kovalam to Technopark Trivandrum (25 kms) @ 100 kph at night. With light music, i did not notice anything. Need to test it further when music is not on, and on higher speeds too. I have got the under body coating anyways. I guess that might have worked. Power steering is also smooth.

2- Amazing interior space- I don't remember anymore what claustrophobic means.

3- Paint quality and design- Good, looks fresh in Blue among a sea of whites. Surely an eye turner. Dash and plastics used are OK, but i have started liking the center mounted Odometer. The design grows on you. I specifically liked the rear part, and started loving it ever since i have seen the new Swift's rear (which i didn't like)

4- Toyota- People look at the car and say, its a Toyota na, achhi hi hogi

5- AC- 2 vents are in center, thus the Cooling is uniform and rarely i need to change the setting to "2"

6- Glove box- Huge and very useful

7- Single wiper- It is bigger, has got a huge sweep, is very effective and does the job very well with 3 speed combinations. I have never felt that it is a cost cutting measure but smarter engineering!

Not so Positives

1- Doors are light, need an extra push to close, i believe nothing can beat a Polo in this department.

2- Single reverse light- I believe that one feels more confident while reversing at night, if there are 2 reverse lights.

3- Tachometer missing in middle variants- This is sorely missed. Even my Pulsar (2006 model) has got one.

So, will be going on a long drive soon, and will be posting the detailed ownership review along with pictures.
mayank10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 07:56   #294
mo1
BHPian

Thanks for a quick and crisp review @mayank10
Just wonder what they gain by not providing essential things such as tacho and rear-defogger. May be we can live with the single reverse light but these things are a must and should be made mandatory for all trims.
How is the rear seat comfort? I felt that they could have increased the height of the back of the rear seat, which is helpful for tall passengers for long journeys.
Also someone has mentioned elsewhere that in very heavy rains, a single wiper may be just good enough so please do take care if it's still raining in your area.
Enjoy your blu!
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:28   #295
BANNED

Have somebody looked into the Liva's engine bay?

Theres a LOT of empty space there. What's the mod potential.
Maybe the Etios 1.5 engine get in and solve all the power issues , though i am unaware if the gearbox and Liva's body can take all of it.

Its a bit

Thanks.
Old 9th October 2011, 23:16   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mayank: What is the mileage that you are able to get in the first 1000 kms.

Not that it matters too much, post 1000 kms there might be a 5% increase which can be .5-.7 kmpl.

Nevertheless still asking.

The G and G SP makes the most sense. The V and VX have definitely been outpriced to ensure the low spec variants with better margin sell better.
Old 10th October 2011, 00:16   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@Mayank: What is the mileage that you are able to get in the first 1000 kms.

Not that it matters too much, post 1000 kms there might be a 5% increase which can be .5-.7 kmpl.

Nevertheless still asking.

The G and G SP makes the most sense. The V and VX have definitely been outpriced to ensure the low spec variants with better margin sell better.
Hi nkrishnap,

I have been getting a mileage of around 14 kmpl (Heavy Trivandrum city traffic+ highway driving). I have not been able to check it using tankful to tankful measure, but would be doing it soon. I believe that these figures would be better for a more experienced driver, since this is my first car, and i am yet to learn to drive with accurate gear shifts that can optimize fuel economy.

Also, as u said, G and G+ make most sense. I believe V and VX should have been priced at least 15-20k less than respective current prices. I have spruced up my Blu and it looks much better than it was (Using seat covers, rear speakers etc.). Though, i Just miss Tachometer and presence of heavier doors at times.

I would also be writing Initial ownership review, may be next weekend.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:08   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Its been 25 days since i got Blu and first service is due in a week.
Will be writing initial ownership review soon.
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. The positives seem to far outweigh the negatives. Good to know that the 1200cc engine does not feel underpowered and you can start from standstill in the 2nd gear. Will be looking forward to the 1st Liva ownership thread on this forum from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I think V is good VFM too. For around 45-50k, you get, inter alia, tacho, fog lamps, rear defogger, rear wiper, 15" alloys with wider, lower profile rubbers, CD player and chrome garnish (which you may not want!).

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 10th October 2011 at 11:10.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:01   #299
BANNED

Hello friends,
I would like fellow members to help me on my booking of Toyota Liva.It has almost been 2 months since I booked the car and almost 20 Days since I made my full payment of the car as requested by the sales rep.The car had to be delivered on 24Oct but was informed two days prior that it cannot be delivered as the car has not shipped from the factory.The next delivery date is 31Oct but that too seems highly unlikely because of the festival of lights.
I would be glad to get help to know what can I do to get it delivered ASAP because it important in my family to get the car on a auspicious day.

Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:08   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
Hello friends,
I would like fellow members to help me on my booking of Toyota Liva.It has almost been 2 months since I booked the car and almost 20 Days since I made my full payment of the car as requested by the sales rep.The car had to be delivered on 24Oct but was informed two days prior that it cannot be delivered as the car has not shipped from the factory.The next delivery date is 31Oct but that too seems highly unlikely because of the festival of lights.
I would be glad to get help to know what can I do to get it delivered ASAP because it important in my family to get the car on a auspicious day.

Thanks.
Sad to hear that. I know that the Etios factory is now closed for periodic maintenance. So, your car should be shipped as soon as the factory re-opens. Not sure what else you can do to speed this up though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks