Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 00:52   #316
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Thanks RadiantKarma and Swiftnfurious. I just went out to take some pictures. Quality of same is not good but still you can get some idea.
Thanks for the pics DDW. HU now looks more integrated with the dash. Btw, What's that screen on the last pic in post#315?
Old 5th February 2012, 07:25   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
.... Btw, What's that screen on the last pic in post#315?
That is 3T plus car reverse assist/sensor display. There is no camera but graphic LCD display of distance and with human voice alerts. It costed Rs.5000 and is imported/assembled by a sister company of Galaxy Toyota.

The steering wheel cover was not good enough from Toyota, hence i skipped that for after market.
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 11:29   #318
BHPian

The absence of the engine under body cover hurt me over this weekend. While going on the road near Koramangala something struck my radiator/compressor fan blades and got lodged. As you can imagine the car started to sound louder than the autos on the road. After switching off the AC and not revving the engine much, I reached the Toyota dealer ship on outer ring road near Bellandur. Unfortunately that is a sales showroom not a service station, so there weren't any mechanic.
What happened next was a horror story. I called up Toyota roadside assistance next morning to tow the vehicle as I could not risk driving 18km to the nearest service station. Toyota received my call at 10:00 AM and managed to send a tow truck at 5:30 PM because there is only one flat bed truck in Bangalore !! The redeeming story was my sales advisor took the responsibility to keep the key with her, so I didn't spend the whole day at the dealership.
Ravindu Toyota on Old Madras road was exemplary in their service. They received the vehicle after hours and kept it safe. Next morning the GM of service called me and let me know the status. Since the fix was easy, it was completed in no time and I was able to pick up the car same day. So full marks on the service from the dealer but very poor service from Toyota Roadside assistance.
I don't know why Toyota does not send a mobile mechanic to fix these small problems. The mechanic from the dealership visits but for a fee even though the vehicle is under warranty. Bizarre reasoning or cock and bull story, I have no idea.
Old 14th March 2012, 14:13   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan
The absence of the engine under body cover hurt me over this weekend. While going on the road near Koramangala something struck my radiator/compressor fan blades and got lodged. As you can imagine the car started to sound louder than the autos on the road. After switching off the AC and not revving the engine much, I reached the Toyota dealer ship on outer ring road near Bellandur. Unfortunately that is a sales showroom not a service station, so there weren't any mechanic.
What happened next was a horror story. I called up Toyota roadside assistance next morning to tow the vehicle as I could not risk driving 18km to the nearest service station. Toyota received my call at 10:00 AM and managed to send a tow truck at 5:30 PM because there is only one flat bed truck in Bangalore !! The redeeming story was my sales advisor took the responsibility to keep the key with her, so I didn't spend the whole day at the dealership.
Ravindu Toyota on Old Madras road was exemplary in their service. They received the vehicle after hours and kept it safe. Next morning the GM of service called me and let me know the status. Since the fix was easy, it was completed in no time and I was able to pick up the car same day. So full marks on the service from the dealer but very poor service from Toyota Roadside assistance.
I don't know why Toyota does not send a mobile mechanic to fix these small problems. The mechanic from the dealership visits but for a fee even though the vehicle is under warranty. Bizarre reasoning or cock and bull story, I have no idea.
Get an engine cover fitted.( that comes with the diesel etios )
road side assistance seems to be bad for toyota. I always got good care from maruti road side assistance
Old 1st April 2012, 07:47   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

There was an issue which cropped up on the Liva. The AC Fan/Radiator fan was making a weird noise when the AC was turned on. Without AC everything was working fine.

Went for a check up at Viva Toyota. The Screw that holds the AC Fan/Radiator fan was loose and which caused the Weird noises..

By the way, the SA did mention that there was an internal bulletin to check the screw and mounts for the radiator fan. All they do is they put back the screw along with an Adhesive which will keep it in its place.

People with Etios and Liva please have this checked when you visit the Toyota A.S.S.

Note: I was not charged even a rupee for this as this was covered under warranty.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 18:05   #321
BHPian

Has anyone driving Liva noticed sudden jarring thud of front wheels when an unmarked speedbreaker is cleared with some speed? It feel like suspension has suddenly given up.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:27   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala
Has anyone driving Liva noticed sudden jarring thud of front wheels when an unmarked speedbreaker is cleared with some speed? It feel like suspension has suddenly given up.
It's a known bug with the liva / etios.
While the suspension is expanding., it hits the stopper. Compression is fine though. You will get a sound if you take a sudden dip at high speed or if you take a speed breaker at moderate speed. With more people inside the vehicle, the chances of that sound is low though because the suspension is in a more compressed state then and hence have more scope for expansion.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 23:27   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Got symphony silver petrol version V model from Galaxy Toyota y'day. Absolutely fantastic ride quality over pot-holed roads leading to Dwarka. I drove intentionally over them as i wanted to replace my Santro Xing because of pathetic bones jarring ride of later. Liva has ride quality as good as my 5 year old Honda City Vtec. Dealership experience much better than Ring Road Honda (they charged even for key ring). All Liva sales staff had a picture session at delivery time and presented a small potted money plant as gift. I had such a nice experience in buying this car that even if it turned out to be a lemon, i'll again buy a Toyota.

Had option of saving 40,000 Rs. on Oct. 11 manufactured model, but i went for Jan 2012. NVH is not noticeable, antenna is foldable and dark coloured audio unit to match interiors in 2012 model.
I have a similar kind of a deal but really unable to decide if I have to proceed further. The dealer says that he has a 2011 V variant (only one Ultramarine Blue color) vehicle left for sale and is offering it for 5.6L on-road price (after a lengthy 30 minute bargain). I have not yet finalized the deal but paid him the booking amount which is totally refundable if I wish to cancel it (that is what they have promised me...). The current On-Road price for the same variant as per the price list he flashed at me stands - Rs 700227/-.
I am unable to decide whether I have to go for it or not. Appreciate your valuable comments whether I can go for it or not. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 17th July 2012, 07:46   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk View Post
I have a similar kind of a deal but really unable to decide if I have to proceed further. The dealer says that he has a 2011 V variant (only one Ultramarine Blue color) vehicle left for sale and is offering it for 5.6L on-road price (after a lengthy 30 minute bargain). I have not yet finalized the deal but paid him the booking amount which is totally refundable if I wish to cancel it (that is what they have promised me...). The current On-Road price for the same variant as per the price list he flashed at me stands - Rs 700227/-.
I am unable to decide whether I have to go for it or not. Appreciate your valuable comments whether I can go for it or not. Thanks a lot in advance.
My thinking would have gone something like this "...... that 2011 blue has been parked for almost 1 year now at dealer's lot while i would like to have latest shipped from Bangalore. Companies like Toyota do make some changes in every new model even though same may not be reported specially in totally new designed car launched in new markets. But, hmmmm....i save LOT of money on 2011 model.....Oh ok come on... how many cars i'm gonna buy in my life..."
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 09:54   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk View Post
The dealer says that he has a 2011 V variant (only one Ultramarine Blue color) vehicle left for sale and is offering it for 5.6L on-road price (after a lengthy 30 minute bargain). I have not yet finalized the deal but paid him the booking amount which is totally refundable if I wish to cancel it (that is what they have promised me...). The current On-Road price for the same variant as per the price list he flashed at me stands - Rs 700227/-
1.4 lacs is a huge amount. This is a good bargain unless you find out a bad history with the car. You have to probe the dealer hard and look out for signs of usage. Ensure that the car was not used as a demo vehicle or it did not have any mishaps inside the dealer's yard.

Going by Toyota's site, the V variant is priced at 5.76 lacs at Hyderabad ex-showroom. Does it come to 7 lacs on the road!
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 13:52   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Going by Toyota's site, the V variant is priced at 5.76 lacs at Hyderabad ex-showroom. Does it come to 7 lacs on the road!
Thank you DDW & Thoma.
Though its 7L, it can be negotiated for probably 50K lesser. But for now my main concern is to get hold of the history of the car and also check the car thoroughly for any hints of usage either for small duration or as a demo car. But I feel you never know since they can restore the looks back to a showroom piece easily. Any pointers here or any other signs that I have to look out for. The deal is for sure enticing but I still have that "WHY SHOULD YOU SETTLE FOR A YEAR OLD" feeling within me. But for sure I do not have a budget to get a V variant as of now and this is really a juicy deal for me. After the TD I really liked the car (shall share the experience later), and would really like to go for it. (Telling to myself ->)Come on - decide soon.... !!!
Old 17th July 2012, 15:30   #327
Senior - BHPian

You changed your location from Hyderabad?

Do speak with the sales agent and ask him firmly but politely whether it has been used as a demo vehicle or if it is a lemon. If not, question him why this was been in the yard for long without a taker. Let him know that you are concerned and extract out a satisfactory answer from him. Yes, good sales people have to alleviate customer worries. If he is not confident or get short tempered easily, smell something fishy. Ask him to show the vehicle.

Rust on cast iron parts and fading of black plastics are common if any car has been left out in the open too long. And that is no pointer to reject the car. Just find out if there is any too much panel gap variation, color mismatch on any of the body panels, if the hairs on the tires are still present and check the tread on the tires. Too much dirt in tight corners (in between the badging), circular swirls all over the body indicate that the car has been washed / cleaned many times. Why should a car left in the yard be often cleaned? Have a check for underbelly scrapings. There should not be any.

I am not sure on how to check the odometer on the Liva. Is there any reset mechanism as in some other cars? Or else, check how much kms it has done. That's all I remember now. Importantly, go with a positive or neutral frame of mind that the car is fine. Or else you may perceive everything to be negative and may loose a good bargain.
Old 17th July 2012, 17:05   #328

Quote:
You changed your location from Hyderabad?

Do speak with the sales agent and ask him firmly but politely whether it has been used as a demo vehicle or if it is a lemon. If not, question him why this was been in the yard for long without a taker. Let him know that you are concerned and extract out a satisfactory answer from him. Yes, good sales people have to alleviate customer worries. If he is not confident or get short tempered easily, smell something fishy. Ask him to show the vehicle.

Rust on cast iron parts and fading of black plastics are common if any car has been left out in the open too long. And that is no pointer to reject the car. Just find out if there is any too much panel gap variation, color mismatch on any of the body panels, if the hairs on the tires are still present and check the tread on the tires. Too much dirt in tight corners (in between the badging), circular swirls all over the body indicate that the car has been washed / cleaned many times. Why should a car left in the yard be often cleaned? Have a check for underbelly scrapings. There should not be any.

I am not sure on how to check the odometer on the Liva. Is there any reset mechanism as in some other cars? Or else, check how much kms it has done. That's all I remember now. Importantly, go with a positive or neutral frame of mind that the car is fine. Or else you may perceive everything to be negative and may loose a good bargain.
Yes, I have moved to Mangalore a month ago due to which my hunt for a new car began . I had a Santro GLS before which I disposed before I moved to Mangalore.
I think all your pointers will be helpful in getting a satisfactory inspection before I take the final plunge. Thanks a lot !!
Old 17th July 2012, 19:52   #329
Senior - BHPian

Hope you will get more pointers from this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html That is one of the threads which made me know about Team-BHP while googling

I do not think Toyota has incorporated any major changes to the 2012 model. Might be others on the thread can confirm on this. So, you should not feel bad in getting a year old car, assuming it is free of issues. You are saving a whopping lack of rupees. This is especially if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time and do not care about the resale value. In either way, a person eyeing a petrol Liva should not mind much about resale value, given the current market scenario. And that might be one reason they might be offering huge discounts. Petrol cars are really down on demand these days. But personally, I will be a bit skeptical on a lack of rupee discount. Just be careful in checking out the vehicle, and once fine, you have won an excellent bargain. It would help if you get hold of an auto enthusiast friend to take along while checking the car.
Old 18th July 2012, 22:28   #330

Quote:
Hope you will get more pointers from this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html That is one of the threads which made me know about Team-BHP while googling

I do not think Toyota has incorporated any major changes to the 2012 model. Might be others on the thread can confirm on this. So, you should not feel bad in getting a year old car, assuming it is free of issues. You are saving a whopping lack of rupees. This is especially if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time and do not care about the resale value. In either way, a person eyeing a petrol Liva should not mind much about resale value, given the current market scenario. And that might be one reason they might be offering huge discounts. Petrol cars are really down on demand these days. But personally, I will be a bit skeptical on a lack of rupee discount. Just be careful in checking out the vehicle, and once fine, you have won an excellent bargain. It would help if you get hold of an auto enthusiast friend to take along while checking the car.
Points noted - I do not wish to sell the car in the near future and do not care about the resale value.

Today I was at the showroom and enquired about the car which I am planning to get. Below are the details:
Distance on the odometer - 34kms
Exterior inspection revealed no signs of any scratches or dents or marks and the paint was uniform and absolutely radiant and the interiors were intact as well.
There were no signs of any dirt of mud in the suspensions or in the wheels assembly. The treads were intact on those Bridgestone tyres.

Also I had a nice little chat with the sales guy after taking him out on a drive and enquired about the car and its history. He mentioned that this car has absolutely no issues and in fact this is the last of the 2011 lot. They have already sold 5 cars offering the cash discounts amounting to 1.2L being the largest. Since this being the last car, they were extending the discount in order to clear their inventory.
I am yet to find anything suspicious regarding the car and this entire deal. They were not forcing me to go for it but gently letting me know the BIG advantage I would be getting if I go for it. The sales guy patiently listened to all my queries and was, wherever possible, comparing the G variant for which I initially planning for and the V 2011 model.

So now probably I've almost made up my mind to go for it. Cannot wait to get my hands on that lovely blue miss !!
johnvk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed