Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 14:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Next Major Launch from Toyota?
None in next 2 years. We Will be busy in establishing brand ETIOS.
No launches for 2 years?? Thats quite shocking !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Volumes expected from LIVA?
60K (ETIOS + LIVA combined) for current year. 100K from next year. That translates approx 8.5K per month (ETIOS + LIVA)
Etios is doing roughly 3000-3500 units (?) p.m. So i expect the Liva to settle around 1500-2000 units after few months . So im not sure if they will meet their targets without the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Air-conditioner controls are 10 years too old in look & feel. When was the last time you used a slider for recirculation / fresh air mode?
In the ANHC . Awesome review GTO. The Liva's pricing is surely disappointing. Toyota should have given us the New Yaris/ Vios.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:45   #32
BHPian

5 stars for the excellent review and 2 stars for the mediocre car. Surprised to see the many negatives. Poor quality plastics, retro (in a unfashionable ,cheap way) levers etc ... etc... Makes me wonder what is Toyota's assessment of its Indian customers. Also makes me wonder if they are going to be right in their assessment. Do BHPians like it? Poll maybe?
Old 27th June 2011, 14:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Is it only me or anybody else feels that the Liva looks like a bigger Alto!
From the review it is clear that it is not so great a car; neither does it feel upmarket/premium. Compared to the likes of Vista and Figo it looks pricey with nothing extra on offer!
Looks like it is the Badge/Brand that is the USP of this one!

Last edited by safari_lover : 27th June 2011 at 14:47.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:46   #34
BHPian

Great review GTO ! I was actually taken by surprize that the review of Liva came in right on the day of its launch ! This in a way also shows how curious Toyota is for marketing its Liva. Usually we would find the review a week after a new products launch, but the case seems different here.

Appreciate Toyota and our Team for this ultra fast review
Old 27th June 2011, 14:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I don't care so much about engine power, everywhere else Figo is at least as good.
No, it is definitely not as good. Its better.
This effort may earn Toyota volumes, but certainly not my respect.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

The most unexciting car launch in the recent times.
The car looks dull, drives dull, features are dull, interiors are dull.

Everything is dull and ordinary about this car.
Toyota has launched this car at least 5 years later than when it should have been launched.

Let us see if the Toyota badge can help garner any sales for the Liva. That's the only USP it has. Disappointing!
Old 27th June 2011, 14:55   #37
BHPian

Great Job GTO. An excellent review as usual.

Your review on Figo helped me a lot in my decision making process. I have test driven Etios and I think Liva will sale in large number compared to Figo, since it has all the things a Hatch back prospective wants and Toyota Cars are easy to repair and service compared to Ford Cars. A enthusiast will prefer to stay away from it. Anyways Toyota brand has reputation and it will help in sales of Liva.

I am interested in Diesel version of Liva but it will take some time. As of today I have decided to buy Figo Diesel and will stick to it.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

That steering wheel wrapped with perforated leather looks it belongs to a car few segments higher and stands out from the rest of the 'utilitarian looking stuff' in the car.
I don't understand the function of the horizontal chrome element on the rear hatch. Normally it either houses the handle or conceals the lights to lit the numberplate. But in this case it looks alike a decorative element (to make it look expensive). I can see some chrome insert on the door handle as well.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your review.
You did not leave any space for any questions, all that i could think of has already been answered. WAY to GTO!
Now you had some stiff competition from recent official reviews.
And adding that Factory tour was a nice ACE up your sleeve. and ofcourse the test track snaps had us turn green with envy

Coming to the car.
in one word DECENT.
It's a decent no nonsense urban runabout, built to do your everyday run around in.
It may not really excite, but it's practicality shines through, and that i guess will be it's trump card.
I wish Toyota luck with the Liva, and hope it does well.

Will i buy one?
Let the official Brio review come out first

Last edited by mdsaab : 27th June 2011 at 15:05.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:04   #40
BHPian

An excellent and precise review as usual GTO. Thank you very much. Also a very pleasant surprise to see the sneak peek inside the Toyota factory.Especially the Liva and Etios lines. It is something many of us will never see in person. Thanks for sharing few of those photos.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:07   #41
BHPian

If the top end of petrol hatch is ~6 lacs what's the cost of diesel top end? Toyota had a great opportunity to leverage the liva as a simple no nonsense car for the first time buyer. But the market is now flooded with options and liva will sure be lost in the crowd.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

As usual, excellent review GTO.

Strictly my opinion: LIVA is not impressive. I understand VFM, but not at the cost of cheap parts. FE, and external looks are good. But, on the inside, its not good. Engine does not sound any exciting, though a real TD will reveal more. Boot is less, cannot stand in the competition. The only thing that is excellent is the rear leg room. Much better than most hatches. Superb steering also rare to find in the sub 6 lacs category.

Just for the Toyota reliability, I really doubt how many will go crazy over the Liva. Etios sedan is a much better product. Atleast, the driveability is very good on the Etios sedan.

I think only the diesel motor will give some numbers to Toyota, whenever it arrives.

One word: Lackluster!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 27th June 2011 at 15:22.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

A decent car, made for the the average consumer looking for the T badge reliability.
IMHO, nothing about this car fascinates me. Ok, the A.S.S and reliability aside, this is pretty plain jane. Some features seriously look as if they've been picked up from the 90's cars.

@Mods: Any word on the Auto transmission on this or the Etios?
If not the Etios, at least the Liva should get one, considering its actually not an entry level hatch.

What matters now, is the way Liva, Brio, i20, Gen2 Swift, Fabia, Polo etc, fight the battle. It sure is an intense segment!

GTO, as usual, great review.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:21   #44
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. Rated 5 star.

The car looks good from the front. I did not like the rear looks though. It looks to be spacious and comfortable for both front and rear seat occupants. I have not yet checked the car in person, but, from the photographs, the parts quality looks very cheap and cost cutting is very evident in many places.

The price is a total shocker. Granted that the car offers space, fuel efficiency and sports a 'T' badge, but for that price, I think we get lot better cars in the market, IMO. I seriously thought Toyota will do a better job and this is very disappointing.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Grand review GTO! Liva fails to impress at the entrance. Let's see how it performs on road. The pricing too is not at all awe inspiring, like ford figo at its launch or like skoda fabia in its offer period.

Most Viewed