Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 18:20   #451
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

My Liva is nearing the 7000 mark, got the 2nd service done and tried the Toyota Diesel Injector cleaner this time. Still yet, achieving a mileage figure of 14kpl only, which includes highway and city runs. From a tankful to tankful I could barely achieve 550 odd kms. Pretty disappointing. I guess I was better off owning a petrol hatch.
Old 17th June 2015, 18:41   #452
BHPian

One sales guy from Gargya Toyota, Guwahati called me up today and informed that they are offering discount of Rs 30,000 on Liva only for this month. Secondly he mentioned that the warranty provided in the Liva is of 3 years or 100000 kms and that we can't extend the warranty any further.
Can anyone confirm the discount and the maximum warranty period of Liva?

Last edited by Eddy : 18th June 2015 at 11:41. Reason: Corrected Typo
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 10:26   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
My Liva is nearing the 7000 mark, got the 2nd service done and tried the Toyota Diesel Injector cleaner this time. Still yet, achieving a mileage figure of 14kpl only, which includes highway and city runs. From a tankful to tankful I could barely achieve 550 odd kms. Pretty disappointing. I guess I was better off owning a petrol hatch.
14kmpl is low for Liva diesel for a mix of city and highway runs. I get around 16kmpl with almost 80% commute in Bangalore city and the rest on highways. I always fill to the auto cutoff point and I could cover almost 650 kms before the fuel indicator starts blinking.
Edwardanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:16   #454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are you driving? What speeds are you upshifting from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th etc.,
The liva is very sensitive if you are a rev-happy kind of guy. A spirited highway only drive will just give you 18kmpl, whereas, if you take it easy you can cross 20.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:40   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardanto View Post
14kmpl is low for Liva diesel for a mix of city and highway runs. I get around 16kmpl with almost 80% commute in Bangalore city and the rest on highways. I always fill to the auto cutoff point and I could cover almost 650 kms before the fuel indicator starts blinking.
Thanks for the heads up Edwardanto. Same here, on full tanks it goes 500, maximum 550 at times. I've a 100% city
commute and this is really taking me back. Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How are you driving? What speeds are you upshifting from 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th etc.,
The liva is very sensitive if you are a rev-happy kind of guy. A spirited highway only drive will just give you 18kmpl, whereas, if you take it easy you can cross 20.
Thank you tsk. I usually up shift at 2k rpm mark and in 5th gear post 70kph. I hear the engine working hard while in 5th gear at 60 but at 70 it gets at ease. What do you reckon could be the problem?
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:55   #456
BHPian

Quote:
My Liva GD stands at 46K km after around 2.5 years. All of this 46K km is 100% driven inside city and 80% of the time driven by driver who is not always very kind to the machine. It has never returned less than 16.5 km/l with atleast 50% AC usage. I get consistently between 17 and 18 km/l nowadays.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:58   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
My Liva GD stands at 46K km after around 2.5 years. All of this 46K km is 100% driven inside city and 80% of the time driven by driver who is not always very kind to the machine. It has never returned less than 16.5 km/l with atleast 50% AC usage. I get consistently between 17 and 18 km/l nowadays.
Interesting. What do you suspect in my case then??
Old 18th June 2015, 12:06   #458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you tsk. I usually up shift at 2k rpm mark and in 5th gear post 70kph. I hear the engine working hard while in 5th gear at 60 but at 70 it gets at ease. What do you reckon could be the problem?
Try shifting up at 1800 and see? For full city 100% commute in traffic petrol cars like santro give 11-12kmpl max. You should see 15kmpl with AC on all the time in full city commute with a liva diesel
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 12:20   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. What do you suspect in my case then??
Assuming all the mechanicals are in good health, please follow tsk's suggestion to drive it light foot for some time and check the FE. Unfortunately, we do not have a tacho in GD version, so you will have to use your judgement to upshift little early. While city driving, try to use the torque as much as possible and that will save your left foot as well. It easily crawls at 3rd gear at a speed of 20 km/hr.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:30   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Try shifting up at 1800 and see? For full city 100% commute in traffic petrol cars like santro give 11-12kmpl max. You should see 15kmpl with AC on all the time in full city commute with a liva diesel
This time I managed 13.75 to be precise! I have been trying & trying full tank to full tank but sometimes get 400 kms. Miserable.

Quote:
Assuming all the mechanicals are in good health, please follow tsk's suggestion to drive it light foot for some time and check the FE. Unfortunately, we do not have a tacho in GD version, so you will have to use your judgement to upshift little early. While city driving, try to use the torque as much as possible and that will save your left foot as well. It easily crawls at 3rd gear at a speed of 20 km/hr.
All mechanicals are in great health. I have the VD so got the tacho on me. In stop-go traffic I barely use the accelerator and let the clutch do its thing. I only drive with a heavy foot on the highway but that is so rare. 1% of the time barely!
Old 18th June 2015, 13:42   #461
BHPian

Quote:
This time I managed 13.75 to be precise!
Thats very unusual. It seems you have tried out few things already. So, don't want to give any suggestions. Please have your car thoroughly checked with toyota. Would be very interested to know the outcome.

PS: Just noted that you also moved from a Getz, just like me.

Last edited by sups : 18th June 2015 at 13:44. Reason: added comment
Old 18th June 2015, 13:44   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Thats very unusual. It seems you have tried out few things already. So, don't want to give any suggestions. Please have your car thoroughly checked with toyota. Would be very interested to know the outcome.
Already did. The injector purchase was their idea. Now post this new tankful I will go to them and see what they have to say. What can they do? Tune the engine or something?
Old 18th June 2015, 13:52   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Already did. The injector purchase was their idea. Now post this new tankful I will go to them and see what they have to say. What can they do? Tune the engine or something?
I notice you're from Mumbai - What is your typical route and timings?
Was the Getz also driven in the same route, and what FE did it deliver?

As a Mumbai guy, with the car crawling in city traffic, I used to be very happy getting 14kmpl in the Fiesta and Toyota - both known for their frugal nature
To be honest, 7,000kms and second service would mean that 1 year is up? If so, is your running very low or requires starting and switching off the car often? I have noticed diesels giving better fuel economy on long runs, and generally don't warm up as quick as petrols - so maybe that is why?

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th June 2015 at 13:56.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:13   #464
BHPian

Quote:

PS: Just noted that you also moved from a Getz, just like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I notice you're from Mumbai - What is your typical route and timings?
Was the Getz also driven in the same route, and what FE did it deliver?

As a Mumbai guy, with the car crawling in city traffic, I used to be very happy getting 14kmpl in the Fiesta and Toyota - both known for their frugal nature
To be honest, 7,000kms and second service would mean that 1 year is up? If so, is your running very low or requires starting and switching off the car often? I have noticed diesels giving better fuel economy on long runs, and generally don't warm up as quick as petrols - so maybe that is why?
My route and timings are always varying. Sometimes in peak and sometimes off peak. The Getz also did the same duty BUT I had to literally work the gear box all the time to achieve a good FE. The best it gave was 10 kph and sometimes 12 if it was in a good mood. It sipped fuel like anything! Hyundai made me suffer a hell lot.

Either ways Mumbai is always choked. Yes, 1 year is up and the running maxes out at 500-600 kms a month. I reckon you are right. But the only times I switch it off is only if the signal is long, otherwise its on( Sorry but I am unable to deploy fuel saving techniques here because our heat & humidity is just so killing! )

Last edited by coolmel : 18th June 2015 at 14:17.
Old 18th June 2015, 14:27   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My route and timings are always varying. Sometimes in peak and sometimes off peak. The Getz also did the same duty BUT I had to literally work the gear box all the time to achieve a good FE. The best it gave was 10 kph and sometimes 12 if it was in a good mood. It sipped fuel like anything! Hyundai made me suffer a hell lot.

Either ways Mumbai is always choked. Yes, 1 year is up and the running maxes out at 500-600 kms a month. I reckon you are right. But the only times I switch it off is only if the signal is long, otherwise its on( Sorry but I am unable to deploy fuel saving techniques here because our heat & humidity is just so killing! )
That is probably the reason - the engine may not get warmed up by the time you reach your destination, which might impact fuel economy? In the Skoda with the temp gauge, I notice it needs 6-7kms before it reaches peak operating temperature.
I am not a technical person, but this seems a little logical - open to people correcting me on this though!

Also, typically cars in Mumbai give much lower FE than those in other cities (just based on the figures I see and hear). I know how you feel, I felt the same way when our Classic Fiesta TDCi gave 13.5-14kmpl in the city while all the 1.6 owners on the forum were getting 12-12.5 in their city. Made me wish I didn't sacrifice that 1kmpl for the superb performance of its petrol counterpart. But realistically speaking, I doubt the Fiesta 1.6 would give the same figures on my commute.

My driving style is similar to yours, except that most of the time the car is driven by the chauffeur. I will check my FE and report back as well, but don't expect it to be radically different from yours.

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th June 2015 at 14:29.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks