Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 14:47   #466
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That is probably the reason - the engine may not get warmed up by the time you reach your destination, which might impact fuel economy? In the Skoda with the temp gauge, I notice it needs 6-7kms before it reaches peak operating temperature.
I am not a technical person, but this seems a little logical - open to people correcting me on this though!

Also, typically cars in Mumbai give much lower FE than those in other cities (just based on the figures I see and hear). I know how you feel, I felt the same way when our Classic Fiesta TDCi gave 13.5-14kmpl in the city while all the 1.6 owners on the forum were getting 12-12.5 in their city. Made me wish I didn't sacrifice that 1kmpl for the superb performance of its petrol counterpart. But realistically speaking, I doubt the Fiesta 1.6 would give the same figures on my commute.

My driving style is similar to yours, except that most of the time the car is driven by the chauffeur. I will check my FE and report back as well, but don't expect it to be radically different from yours.
The Liva does not have those gauges but yes it could be one reason! But isn't the D4D an aluminium block? To reach operating temperatures quickly ie. Just a thought.

Also I guess you wanted to say your Fiesta gave 12-12.5 and others gave 13.5-14, because Mumbai people usually get lower FE than our counterparts.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:03   #467
BHPian

Quote:
That is probably the reason - the engine may not get warmed up by the time you reach your destination, which might impact fuel economy? In the Skoda with the temp gauge, I notice it needs 6-7kms before it reaches peak operating temperature.
I am not a technical person, but this seems a little logical - open to people correcting me on this though!
My daily drive from home to office is 6 kms one way and takes around 15-30 minutes in Bangalore traffic. But the fuel efficiency has never fallen below 15kmpl. May be the engine warms up when idling at traffic signals. I always drive with AC, most of the time with two people on board. I normally fill up from COCO Koramangala, keep front tyre pressure at 33 and rear at 30, tops up once a month. I don't know if these factors heavily affect the FE, just saying in case it helps.

Like tsk said the Liva is a little less fuel efficient at high rpms. During one of my recent trips to Kerala, I was driving through 2 lane roads all the way, kept 70-90 speeds and the car returned a handsome 22 kmpl. On another occassion I drove at 100-110, and fuel efficiency dropped to 19.
Edwardanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:15   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
The Liva does not have those gauges but yes it could be one reason! But isn't the D4D an aluminium block? To reach operating temperatures quickly ie. Just a thought.

Also I guess you wanted to say your Fiesta gave 12-12.5 and others gave 13.5-14, because Mumbai people usually get lower FE than our counterparts.
My mistake - I meant to say that the diesel Fiesta in Mumbai traffic returned 13.5-ish, whereas many from Delhi who had the Fiesta 1.6 Petrol used to get 12-12.5 regularly. The difference wasn't all that much in terms of numbers, but was attributed more to traffic (as I would like to believe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardanto View Post
My daily drive from home to office is 6 kms one way and takes around 15-30 minutes in Bangalore traffic. But the fuel efficiency has never fallen below 15kmpl. May be the engine warms up when idling at traffic signals. I always drive with AC, most of the time with two people on board. I normally fill up from COCO Koramangala, keep front tyre pressure at 33 and rear at 30, tops up once a month. I don't know if these factors heavily affect the FE, just saying in case it helps.

Like tsk said the Liva is a little less fuel efficient at high rpms. During one of my recent trips to Kerala, I was driving through 2 lane roads all the way, kept 70-90 speeds and the car returned a handsome 22 kmpl. On another occassion I drove at 100-110, and fuel efficiency dropped to 19.
True, but coolmel drives pretty sedately, as do my chauffeurs (they're in their 50s, so they definitely aren't young drivers with adrenaline flowing in their veins).
In fact, the highest I have ever gotten on the Liva was 15.75kmpl on its first tankful when I was watching the needle, and babying the car literally (run-in) without 100% AC.

That is why I was asking about the route - in traffic the engine warms up quickly but because you're always in a lower gear it greatly impacts FE. But on the more open routes, it can take a lot more kms for the engine to warm up.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 16:27   #469
BHPian

Quote:
My mistake - I meant to say that the diesel Fiesta in Mumbai traffic returned 13.5-ish, whereas many from Delhi who had the Fiesta 1.6 Petrol used to get 12-12.5 regularly. The difference wasn't all that much in terms of numbers, but was attributed more to traffic (as I would like to believe).

Yes as good as owning a petrol. But again, the similarities end there.

True, but coolmel drives pretty sedately, as do my chauffeurs (they're in their 50s, so they definitely aren't young drivers with adrenaline flowing in their veins).
In fact, the highest I have ever gotten on the Liva was 15.75kmpl on its first tankful when I was watching the needle, and babying the car literally (run-in) without 100% AC.

That is why I was asking about the route - in traffic the engine warms up quickly but because you're always in a lower gear it greatly impacts FE. But on the more open routes, it can take a lot more kms for the engine to warm up.
The biggest deterrent to the mileage is the first gear. She picks up from 2nd if not fully loaded while crossing bumps otherwise its always the first. I try not to but have to! As far as driving sedately goes well I do give it the stick sometimes. Again, where are the roads??!!
Old 18th June 2015, 16:45   #470
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest deterrent to the mileage is the first gear. She picks up from 2nd if not fully loaded while crossing bumps otherwise its always the first. I try not to but have to! As far as driving sedately goes well I do give it the stick sometimes. Again, where are the roads??!!
Please check your air filter.
In my exp. - Toyota service sometimes manages to fail to check for dirty air filter.
Generally dirty air filter results in lower O2 supply to fuel. Thereby under using fuel's capacity.

Is there any knocking experienced when in high revs zone? Is your car facing problems with pick up while going up-hill?

If yes - then Air Filter will most definitely be your gripe.
--9-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 17:27   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --9-- View Post
Please check your air filter.
In my exp. - Toyota service sometimes manages to fail to check for dirty air filter.
Generally dirty air filter results in lower O2 supply to fuel. Thereby under using fuel's capacity.

Is there any knocking experienced when in high revs zone? Is your car facing problems with pick up while going up-hill?

If yes - then Air Filter will most definitely be your gripe.
No knocking whatsoever and pick up issues either. Just got the service done a few weeks back. Am sure they must have cleaned the filter as well.
Old 18th June 2015, 20:49   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No knocking whatsoever and pick up issues either. Just got the service done a few weeks back. Am sure they must have cleaned the filter as well.
Okay now since you have explained your commute, I think its perfectly fine. Maybe with a light foot you can get 14.5 or so max
Reason is simple. Your run is just few minutes. You idle at many crossings, traffic is stop and go, and its all slow moving.

If you have a decent run of 15-20kms one way, the FE would be 15-16, but in your current situation, this is the max you can get. Think about it. You will get 14 with liva, and 10 with a similar petrol car. That is 40% more FE.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:58   #473
BHPian

I am seriously looking at the Liva VX Petrol or TRD Sportivo for my next car purchase along with the Maruti Swift ZXI and Honda Jazz. However I have heard from some of my colleagues that Liva ride is not comfortable. Can any Liva owner confirm about the ride quality of the Liva vis-a-vis Polo or Swift?
Old 18th June 2015, 21:32   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Okay now since you have explained your commute, I think its perfectly fine. Maybe with a light foot you can get 14.5 or so max
Reason is simple. Your run is just few minutes. You idle at many crossings, traffic is stop and go, and its all slow moving.

If you have a decent run of 15-20kms one way, the FE would be 15-16, but in your current situation, this is the max you can get. Think about it. You will get 14 with liva, and 10 with a similar petrol car. That is 40% more FE.
Should I warm it up more? Typically I do a 2 min ritual and then take off. Will practise driving with a light foot.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:34   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
I am seriously looking at the Liva VX Petrol or TRD Sportivo for my next car purchase along with the Maruti Swift ZXI and Honda Jazz. However I have heard from some of my colleagues that Liva ride is not comfortable. Can any Liva owner confirm about the ride quality of the Liva vis-a-vis Polo or Swift?
Owning one since a year and one reason for buying it was the drive. It rides flat & has neutral road manners. Steering feedback is adequate and brakes are good too. As against a Swift or the new Jazz I can definitely say it drives better than both of them. Swift being choppy & the Honda being stiff. This is for the diesel though, not sure about the petrol but am sure owners can vouch for the same.

Either way you will be very satisfied with it. Like all of us are.
Old 19th June 2015, 00:50   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should I warm it up more? Typically I do a 2 min ritual and then take off. Will practise driving with a light foot.
IT won't matter unless you take a longer route to office. If you just idle for 2 minutes you are burning extra fuel. Just idle for the required 30s for turbo life, and then start away, driving with a light foot.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 11:32   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
IT won't matter unless you take a longer route to office. If you just idle for 2 minutes you are burning extra fuel. Just idle for the required 30s for turbo life, and then start away, driving with a light foot.
Duly noted. Thank you sir.
Old 20th June 2015, 15:17   #478
BHPian

Majority of Liva owners in this forum have opted for the diesel version. Is the petrol version not that great?The power of the petrol engine is much lower in specifications.Is it an average engine like the petrol version of Figo?

Last edited by pranjal1984 : 20th June 2015 at 15:18. Reason: correction
Old 20th June 2015, 21:09   #479
BHPian

Hi Pranjal, i own a petrol Liva G(SP) 2014 model. Have driven 14k in a year in Hyderabad with daily commute to workplace and three road trips, once to Bengaluru and twice to Goa.
Having driven Brio, Grand i10 & Swift petrol cars, the acceleration and throttle response of Liva is comparable to Swift, is quite brisk and lags only behind the Brio, in my opinion.
Of course, pickup is hampered a little with AC on but isn't a deal breaker.

Also, one must note the light weight of the car balances the slightly less power specifications.
You can also check out the last pages of Autocar India magazine which lists the acceleration results of all tested cars. Liva petrol is significantly quicker than Figo petrol and is at par with Swift petrol
aamateen46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 21:49   #480
BHPian

Thanks a lot aamateen46 for your information. I will be taking test drive of the Liva Petrol and Swift petrol next week. I am also looking at the new Honda Jazz. Heart says Swift or Jazz but mind says Toyota Liva. Also I came to know that maintenance costs of Liva is much lesser than other hatchbacks. Since I had to dispose my 2 year old Polo Highline due to high maintenance costs and presence of only one dealer in entire North East India, maintenance costs and reliability are on the top of my priority list. And when it comes to reliability and hassle free ownership, no company can come close to Toyota.

Last edited by pranjal1984 : 20th June 2015 at 21:50. Reason: correction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks