Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 22:54   #481
BHPian

Glad to help.
When it comes to maintenance, reliability & fuss-free ownership, Liva is also better than both Swift and Jazz.

I have experienced this in good measure with my Liva in this one year.
One more important point of petrol Liva is the combination of neutral handling, slick gearbox, light clutch, excellent brakes and soft suspension works great in city traffic as well as on highways.
I was pleasantly surprised with the highway manners and could cruise comfortably at triple digit speeds.
aamateen46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 00:08   #482
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
Thanks a lot aamateen46 for your information. I will be taking test drive of the Liva Petrol and Swift petrol next week. I am also looking at the new Honda Jazz. Heart says Swift or Jazz but mind says Toyota Liva. Also I came to know that maintenance costs of Liva is much lesser than other hatchbacks. Since I had to dispose my 2 year old Polo Highline due to high maintenance costs and presence of only one dealer in entire North East India, maintenance costs and reliability are on the top of my priority list. And when it comes to reliability and hassle free ownership, no company can come close to Toyota.
What about the Sportivo? That's got enough grunt & shouldn't be too high on maintenance either...Cons: it will drink slightly more unleaded though & is significantly more expensive to buy initially....
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:15   #483
BHPian

The TRD Sportivo starts at 7.15 lakhs ex-showroom in Guwahati and it will be stretching my budget. The details of the TRD version is missing from Toyota website.I have booked a test drive of Liva Petrol by this weekend and hopefully the experience will be pleasant.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:31   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Majority of Liva owners in this forum have opted for the diesel version. Is the petrol version not that great?The power of the petrol engine is much lower in specifications.Is it an average engine like the petrol version of Figo?
I own latest version of Toyota Etios Liva G - and believe me - it is far from being under powered.
You can cruise on expressway @110 kmph without hint of nervousness. Acceleration is brisk. You can steer with one hand even in ghat section.
It runs on a broken patches of roads without slightest hint of discomfort.
--9-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 14:29   #485
BHPian

I am thinking on replacing my 9+ years old (83k kms run) Hyundai Santro with a new car now.

My running will be less than 10,000 kms per year, so obviously I am looking forward for Petrol versions only. I have budget of around Rs 7.5L (but will be happy to save some money :-) from it) .

So far I have shortlisted Swift Dzire LXI/ VXI, Hyundai Xcent SO, Toyota Etios G and Liva G / V.

My experience with Hyundai has been superb. The service cost per 10k kms has not been over 5,000 Rs on an average. The maximum I have paid is 8000 on one occasion.
On the other had, my father's Alto service cost has been always in range of 5k - 7k Rs.

I have read through the available threads on Etios and Liva and see that Toyotas indeed need less maintenance (I am comparing here with Hyundai and Maruti).

I have a couple of questions regarding Liva petrol (the standard 1.2L version) -
1) Does it feel adequately powered / torqued? Can it take 5 adults and boot full of luggage (whatever the boot accommodates) on long drives without any issues? Does it feel underpowered in Ghat sections with AC on?
How is the power / torque as compared to Swift or DZire (Petrol version)?

2) What mileage can one expect? I have seen figures ranging from 12 to 17kmpl. With AC on 50% of the times, can I expect a highway mileage of 17kmpl?

3) How is the AC of Liva? Is it adequate?

Last edited by bulletboy76 : 24th June 2015 at 14:41. Reason: Minor correction
Old 24th June 2015, 23:34   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
I am thinking on replacing my 9+ years old (83k kms run) Hyundai Santro with a new car now.

So far I have shortlisted Swift Dzire LXI/ VXI, Hyundai Xcent SO, Toyota Etios G and Liva G / V.

I have a couple of questions regarding Liva petrol (the standard 1.2L version) -
1) Does it feel adequately powered / torqued? Can it take 5 adults and boot full of luggage (whatever the boot accommodates) on long drives without any issues? Does it feel underpowered in Ghat sections with AC on?

2) What mileage can one expect? I have seen figures ranging from 12 to 17kmpl. With AC on 50% of the times, can I expect a highway mileage of 17kmpl?

3) How is the AC of Liva? Is it adequate?
Hi Bulletboy!

I have a 2012 Liva GD with close to 36k on the odo.

I can answer some of your questions.

1. The Liva can easily take 5 adults on board & accommodate luggage in the boot. This is the biggest plus of the Liva.
ACRES of space at the rear, thanks to clever packaging & nearly inexistent transmission tunnel hump. 3 people can sit abreast at the rear with enough shoulder room. Competition isn't even close in terms of space and comfort of Liva.

Not sure about the petrol version, diesel has so much low end torque that it darts right when you let go of the clutch. Had no issues with 5 on board ,boot full of luggage & AC at 3 points, doing triple digit speeds all day!

2. I dont have an answer for the mileage question,but the petrol unit is tuned towards driveability & efficiency. It should return a decent mileage.

3. AC is pretty good. Not as bone chilling like the swift's though.

In case your budget is 7.5L, you can get the Liva GD. Comes with ABS+EBD as standard & also has a very reliable and fuel efficient oil burner under the hood!

PS; I too had a santro xing before I got the Liva! Was a big step up for me in terms of power, space, service & ease of maintenance.
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 11:15   #487
BHPian

Thanks saadat1992 !

I visited the Toyota showroom yesterday evening. Checked Etios as well as Liva.
The Sales representative will bring over the vehicles for test drive to my home on this weekend.

On the space part - I completely agree with you. Liva has probably the widest back-bench. Even the boot did not appear that small. The display vehicle had 2 large suitcases (I think standard 18 - 20 inch suitcases) placed inside - just to give idea on the same. In fact, I think, the DZire boot is only slightly bigger.

The Petrol V model comes with ABS, Airbags, Music system etc (i.e. the most critical features which I find useful) and is priced at 6.46L. The dealer is willing to offer some cash discount plus freebees. I did not start the negotiations as I am yet to have a test drive and finalize the make and model, however I think I can easily get benefits to the tune of around 20K - 25K.

On fuel efficiency of Liva: The sales rep was stating that customer reported mileage is around 13 to 14kmpl in city and 16 - 17kmpl on highways. This is not too bad.

My usage is not more than 10k kms per anum, so I don't think Diesel version makes sense for me; Also, the Diesel versions are priced Rs 1.5L above the petrol variants.

On maintenance cost: the Sales Rep was stating the cost of 30 paisa per km ! I was surprised with that, but he said that this too can be verified with other actual customers.

My wifey liked Etios more than the Liva :-). I think the top end version of Etios does look decent inside and out!
On road price of Etios V is around 7.85L and VX is priced around 8.45L.

Any other users of Liva Petrol - Kindly help on the real life fuel efficiency and the power / drivability aspect!
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2015, 12:31   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have read through the available threads on Etios and Liva and see that Toyotas indeed need less maintenance (I am comparing here with Hyundai and Maruti).

I can help you a bit here.
We almost bought a 2011 Liva VX Petrol with 38000kms on the ODO. It became an almost because we asked the showroom for service records and it turned out to be 115000kms done.

The funny thing is, that even after a test drive, it was impossible to figure out that the car had done so much. It ran like new. Service records indicated just one timing belt change. Even the clutch had not been changed, and it was soft and perfect. Only the dampers had been changed around 60K or something(which is very normal).

So from a reliability front, this car will outlast many other things.

Now coming to your other question. Its not a powerful car. It will not struggle per se, but its an anaemic engine, and with 5 people, you have to wring the engine. Its not effortless acceleration like the Dzire or Swift. The engine is more of a sedate cruiser.

If you want performance, look for something else. On the reliability front, it ticks all boxes.

The FE you can expect is around 15. 17 is being a tad too optimistic

City FE will be 12-13 max.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 18:54   #489
BHPian

Applied for test drive of Liva petrol through Toyota Website on 23rd June 2015. Till now not a single call or communication from Gargya Toyota, Guwahati. When this is the attitude of Toyota for prospective customers, the desire of owning the car gets reduced by half. Again informed Toyota customer care today morning.Till now no response.
Old 27th June 2015, 21:07   #490
BHPian

Quote:
The TRD Sportivo starts at 7.15 lakhs ex-showroom in Guwahati and it will be stretching my budget. The details of the TRD version is missing from Toyota website.I have booked a test drive of Liva Petrol by this weekend and hopefully the experience will be pleasant.
Is the TRD Sportivo still available? I thought it had been discontinued.
Old 27th June 2015, 21:56   #491
BHPian

I think the 1.4 L version is discontinued. It is not shown in their website also. The TRD Sportivo version mentioned in pricelist may be a variant of the 1.2L engine but someone else may have a better idea of the same.
Old 28th June 2015, 12:59   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks saadat1992 !

The Sales representative will bring over the vehicles for test drive to my home on this weekend.

On the space part - I completely agree with you. Liva has probably the widest back-bench. Even the boot did not appear that small. The display vehicle had 2 large suitcases (I think standard 18 - 20 inch suitcases) placed inside - just to give idea on the same. In fact, I think, the DZire boot is only slightly bigger.

The Petrol V model comes with ABS, Airbags, Music system etc (i.e. the most critical features which I find useful) and is priced at 6.46L. The dealer is willing to offer some cash discount plus freebees. I did not start the negotiations as I am yet to have a test drive and finalize the make and model, however I think I can easily get benefits to the tune of around 20K - 25K.

On fuel efficiency of Liva: The sales rep was stating that customer reported mileage is around 13 to 14kmpl in city and 16 - 17kmpl on highways. This is not too bad.

My usage is not more than 10k kms per anum, so I don't think Diesel version makes sense for me; Also, the Diesel versions are priced Rs 1.5L above the petrol variants.

On maintenance cost: the Sales Rep was stating the cost of 30 paisa per km ! I was surprised with that, but he said that this too can be verified with other actual customers.

My wifey liked Etios more than the Liva :-). I think the top end version of Etios does look decent inside and out!

Any other users of Liva Petrol - Kindly help on the real life fuel efficiency and the power / drivability aspect!
Hi bulletboy76,

I would like to add my 2 cents here, being a Liva V 1.2 owner. I did a Patna - Kolkata trip last year and the car could comfortably maintain highway speeds with AC on and 5 and a half passengers (my 8 month old baby being the half), and sufficient luggage as well.

The car does not feel zippy at first, but will move faster as you depress the accelerator at lower gears. Once up to speed it feels confident and well planted, brakes are reassuring and handling is safe.

Fuel economy is around 13-15 in city and 17-18 on the highway. The fuel indicator bar does not move for the first 100 odd kms. It is a hell of a comfortable car and reliability and maintenance cost are best in class.

If you like the car go for it and you wont regret. It is excellent on uneven and broken roads with decent GC.

Of course the 1.5 has better driveability and more torque at low rpms. you will be shifting gears less frequently. I will be happy to answer any more queries if you have.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2015 at 09:58. Reason: See note in post.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 14:04   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks saadat1992 !

Well I drive the diesel VD and can vouch for the fact that if you are in the market looking for a no-nonsense set of wheels to ferry you from point A to B then you have arrived at the right place. This baby has a pliant suspension, returns good mileage figures and well the sales guy said it right. The maintenance is the least out there in its class. Go for it *eyes closed* . Just ensure you switch over to better wheels( Yoko/Bridgestone/Michelin ) as soon as you get the vehicle. Will go a long long way in returning you even happier miles. My running was & is less than 8000 kms but even then went for diesel!

That apart I'd also recommend you wait for the Honda Jazz. The king is here and there was never ever a good time to buy the best hatch in the segment.( Sorry for the OT mention!).

Last edited by coolmel : 28th June 2015 at 14:06.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 14:54   #494
BHPian

Well still confused between Swift Zxi and Liva Vx. Its too close a call. Also I am waiting for the Jazz. However these Japanese cars do not hold a candle to the build quality and structural strength of Polo and Punto Evo. But then again the tradeoffs for the Euros are higher maintenance costs and lesser workshops.
Old 29th June 2015, 15:22   #495
BHPian

Thanks coolmel and Kn1ght1941 !

I am almost decided now - It is going to be an Etios Petrol , 'V' variant.
The dealer is offering freebees / discounts to the tune of 25K. Old Santro will fetch me around 110k.

I have received extremely positive feedback from friends, based on their personal experiences too.
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks