Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 13:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Excellent review - now I don't regret buying the Figo at all.

I don't care so much about engine power, everywhere else Figo is at least as good.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rated 5 stars! The factory walk-through was a bonus!

Liva appears to be a no-frills practical hatchback to me. The interiors may not appear high-class, but they may age well. The exteriors make the car look very well put-together.
Kudos to Toyota for bringing the car almost on time despite a natural calamity back home.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:12   #18
BHPian

@GTO - Great review as always.

It will be very interesting to see the sale figures of Liva in coming months. However, you already mentioned the five factors - brand (trust), VFM price, fuel economy, space & looks and it seems Liva excels in all the areas except VFM.

However, the cost cutting like Unconcealed wires on metal is too much.

Ok, we can expect diesel engine, but how about Automatic Variant?

I am a fan of dead pedal and it is sore that the same is missed in Liva.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Nice Review. The factory tour details is quite informative also.

Going through review, I think, Liva will have a tough time out there battling Swift and i20. Except for Toyota badge did not feel any USP for Liva.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review GTO
Well, the Liva seems better than the Etios. But that is no benchmark for looks or interior quality. Do VFM offerings have to be bland or of such flimsy-to-the-touch build? Or is it that Toyota's understanding of the Indian market is that we buy cheap stuff and not cost effective stuff? Cosnidering the price it seems a bit of a shocker.
Even the Fabia is now available from 3.99L ex showroom

This may have been feasible if they had other products in the pipeline to target the segments between the Etios and the Altis. Nevertheless, it may still settle in the 5K a month sales range.

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th June 2011 at 14:27.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:20   #21
BANNED

Poor pricing in my opinion. Rs 5.99 Lakhs for the top end petrol is a bit too much to ask. For a few thousand more you can get the much more advanced and much more safer i20 or Polo or the Punto 1.4. Half a lakh more and you will get the 1.3 MJD Punto EP or the i20 Diesel Magna.
Include Vista & Figo and the Toyota starts looking like a daylight burglary. The Vista 1.3 Quadrajet ABS & Airbags is considerably cheaper, has better equipments, is safer and in all probability rides better too. The same stays for the Figo as well. At around a lakh more (after discounts) even the overpriced Honda Jazz starts to look like good value. Terrible pricing! What were they smoking?

The car is light alright but I will be surprised if it manages to score more than 3 points in Euro NCAP. Your review also misses the 'safety' part.

Last edited by akhilesh : 27th June 2011 at 14:22.
akhilesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:28   #22
BHPian

Awesome review GTO!

Any news about the automatic option from Toyota. I have noticed that most of my friends and family are craving for automatic these days!

When are you getting on for a Brio test drive. I hope Honda too have some nice speed breakers in their test circuit. Any automatic option from Honda for Brio

Last edited by Tommie : 27th June 2011 at 14:31. Reason: Added Automatic point also
Old 27th June 2011, 14:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Good review on the Liva, have to wait till the diesel comes out for the sales to really start flying.
And dampener that no new launches in 2 years, that means dreams about the Avanza,Rush will remain dreams only.
And the icing on the cake: of course the factory tour,pleasure to see a Toyota factory at work.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:30   #24
BHPian

Quite underwhelming, the Liva. It only has the Toyota badge going for it, really...
There isn't any USP at all other than optional ABS / Airbags in the mid variant.

In a couple of months, the new Swift will totally kill it.

After the initial bump, I seriously doubt how well the car will do.

They really need to cut off the price by 50k or so to compete.

Cheers
Old 27th June 2011, 14:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great review but not so great car. Not at all worth the bucks! Almost every other car in the segment seems to be better than this. The Liva's interiors are the worst on any hatchback. Everything feels so cheap inside. And the looks are nothing to talk about either. All I can see with the Liva is a spacious 5 seater. But then even the i20 offers good space for about the same money as the higher variants of the Liva. And the i20 offers much much more at that price. The Polo and Fabia also beat the Liva in almost every department. Can't see any reason why someone would buy this car except for that Toyota hassle-free experience, which only time will tell. Sorry for prospective owners, but this is just my opinion

Last edited by theragingbull : 27th June 2011 at 14:32.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well thought out review, thank you. The factory walkabout was the icing on the cake.

The Liva seems like a neutral yet safe choice for the small car buyer. Rear space looks good for a small hatch. The almost flat rear floor makes it a genuine 5-seater, ideal for larger families.

Quality of interior plastics are unacceptable though. Some of the switches and knobs have a licence raj era feel to them. The interior looks ancient compared to the soon to be launched new Swift. The steering wheel looks great, the sporty shape looks out of place in the Liva cabin!

Interesting to note that Toyota is concerned about waiting lists. About time some of their competitors take the cue.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review GTO. Really appreciate the tour of the Toyota plant and the test track. And Thank You Stratos for the superb photos. Dare I say the Liva even looks attractive in your hands?

Unfortunately, I just cannot commend the car. It is spacious, maybe comfortable and has a brand name. But there ends the good stuff. It is not VFM, looks and feels cheap, badly equipped, lethargic and mediocre to drive. I thought Toyota will shock us with the pricing and it sure did. But in a wrong way.

Agree with GTO here. The Liva will find it very tough in the super competitive B segment. The Etios at least got a very good engine to speak for and may even out sell the Liva.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review GTO. Rated 5 *s. Absolutely loved the sneak peak of Toyota Factory!
Old 27th June 2011, 14:37   #29
BHPian

Great review GTO as always. Given an option to choose between the Liva, Polo, Figo and the Punto as i just came back in one of my friends ride, I DO NOT REGRET BUYING THE FIGO. Full marks to ford for giving me the FIGO. Somehow the shape of the Liva is not that exiting and lot of other features looks extremely outdated! Lets see how this fares in the market.
Old 27th June 2011, 14:38   #30
BHPian

Excellent review from GTO, as for Liva, I feel that the car clearly looks dated compared to some other modern cars (just my personal opinion), it looks like it was designed a decade back and is launched now with some minor tweaks, functionally it might be a good car but it just does not strike any string in the heart. I just don't understand the point of center mounted instrument panel in some cars, I mean, do the fellow passengers need to look at it more than the driver ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks