Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 16:50   #61
BANNED

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Toyota Etios Liva has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 3.99 - 5.99 lakhs (ex-Delhi)
Totally disappointed with the prices. on that price you can buy a Diesel Ford Figo Top End.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1752886
Old 27th June 2011, 17:00   #62
MCR
BHPian

Excellent review as always. One thing missed here is the Parcel tray. Is it not available in the top end variant as well?
Old 27th June 2011, 17:01   #63
BHPian

Neat review. Spotted one near the Toyota factory last week and was jumping around to get a pic but nothing came of it. With masking on the lights it looked a lot like the polo. I thought it looked great especially the blue paint job, it was stunning. After reading the review, looks like Toyota has skimped quite a bit.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:11   #64
BHPian

@ GTO: As always a comprehensive review once again. Great work.

Your name/pedigree carries you only so far. A lesson that Honda learnt with Jazz. And how! Thoroughly chastised with egg on their face they are now trying to rejig their portfolio positioning/pricing.

Is Toyota going the route where the very same fate(as that of Honda) or worse is going to visit them?

Going by the response of the membership here, seems that way. However what will the aam junta think? That is the million dollar question. Let us see how the sales numbers pile up!

Last edited by RS_DEL : 27th June 2011 at 17:14.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review as usual GTO. As expected after reading all the various media reports, the Liva is nothing exciting. Its got only the T badge and the space to differentiate it in the segment.

I have my doubts whether this will see the initial booking madness that the Etios saw. The pricing is also nothing special, especially for the top end model.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Great review right on day 1, GTO! Rated 5 stars.

I don't know if i am more disappointed with the low bottom end or poor plastic quality. I wish Toyota tuned it better. Its still not a bad deal - a spacious hatch with the reliability (hopefully) 'T' badge offers.

They really need to bring the 1.4L D in both versions - hopefully FGT for hatch and the 90ps one for Etios.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:16   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic review again. A well deserving 5 stars.

A few observations.

1. Shockingly Toyota car built to a cost and nothing aspirational about the car.

2. Though built to a cost the car is not priced as VFM like Etios. I get to feel that the car is 50K overpriced with each variant more so the V and VX which would be the top selling variants. Though G (ABS + Airbags) variant will definitely attract a few buyers

3. Definitely feel the 1.2 liter is no where near the 1.2 K series, 1.2 kappa or the 1.2 ivtec. The engine will no doubt be robust but definitely lacks low NVH. I was shocked to hear this engine sound when it was running, read a poor Noise insulation inside out.

4. Wonder what the price of the diesel would be, I expect it to be 80K more than petrol. No VFM by any means.

5. All variants look naked when compared to the i20 or the Punto.

6. Despite all these Toyota will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Would anybody bet on the Break even for the Etios project with this kind of pricing?

Note to mods - It would have made the review even better with the inclusion of the Nissan Micra, Tata Indica Vista and the Fiat Punto.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 17:21   #68
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review GTO. IMO, curiosity/expectations around Etios will pull up Liva sales initially, but this segment will get hotter with the launch of new Swift. Truly a segment where consumer is the king!
Old 27th June 2011, 17:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an ordinary car which basically ticks right on all the areas, in my opinion the major USP of the car is its interior space and the “T” factor.

However I feel that Toyota has got the pricing wrong by Rs 25k per variant, definitely not a value buy as there are plenty of options to choose in the hotly contested hatch segment. Let wait and see how is the market going to react in the coming days.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:25   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Excellent review as always. One thing missed here is the Parcel tray. Is it not available in the top end variant as well?
I think you missed this
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-liva-parcel-tray.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 17:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Totally disappointed with the prices. on that price you can buy a Diesel Ford Figo Top End.
I completely agree.

Also, if one were to consider the Toyota no-hassles experience and longevity as reasons for buying the car at a bit of a premium, then I think one would rather buy a better looking car that also performs well and has better quality interiors, but requires (relatively) a little more attention and keep it for 5 -6 years Vs. hang on to the Liva for the next 10-12 years while also having to put up with the sub-standard interiors and lack of features.

The competition doesn't really build cars that fall apart very quickly either, so still not seeing the value
Old 27th June 2011, 17:29   #72
BHPian

Great Review, GTO !! As always, covering all parts of the vehicle in a review process has been very good without any bias. And, icing on the cake is the virtual tour of Toyota which reminded of the days when I used to visit Novino Batteries plant at Pithampur and Baroda. The plant at Pithampur was spanking clean. But, back to Liva, with the price range not sure whether Toyota guys did the right thing. Looks like they have overpriced the vehicle.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:39   #73
BHPian

Any info about "Child-safe door locks" ? (Not sure if the review covered it. I did notice the power window lock in one of the images, though)
Old 27th June 2011, 17:44   #74
BHPian

Is Toyota and will sell. Doesn't matter if there are no features or bad quality plastics or anemic engines.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:49   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I see why you got delayed the other day to miss our meet!

This car will sell and worry the living daylights out of Maruti.

Most Viewed