Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 10:37   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Nice review. Looks like a worthy competitor and the Toyota badge will ensure that more numbers will be sold. However no power steering for the base (J) variant is hard to accept. Atleast A/C and power steering should be standard for the base variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Note to mods - It would have made the review even better with the inclusion of the Nissan Micra, Tata Indica Vista and the Fiat Punto.
I agree with nkrishnap. Why is the Nissan Micra not included in the comparisons anywhere?
Old 28th June 2011, 10:57   #122
BHPian

Great review as Always GTO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The super-soft rear neck restraints literally work as cushions and are a great place to rest your head on.
Head restraints are designed to restrict head movement during a rear-impact collision and reduce the chance of neck and shoulder injury which is their primary function. So wont this super-soft cushions actually cause more harm by allowing neck to travel further than it should?
Old 28th June 2011, 11:07   #123
BHPian

When I first heard about Toyota launching a small car in India, I was so sure that it would be based on the Aygo. And after seeing the Liva review, my conviction has been bolstered. With localisation and homologation (if necesasary) Toyota could have easily sold the Aygo at the same price range for the Liva. Understood, the Aygo is a 6 year old platform, but the Liva does not look fresh either. If the Aygo could have all the trademark (quality and build) of Toyota why could not the Liva at the same price point.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Am unable to digest the centrally placed speedo unit.
The dash just behind the steering wheel looks far too empty/bland.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:36   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota is following very similar strategy when it came to India first.

The next generation Etios and Liva will be engineered to suit the market better (something what innova did). Till then its only for ROI.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:41   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For instance, if you are in 2nd gear at 20 kph, acceleration thereon is slow. In the Etios, you can cross a speed breaker and happily drive along in 2nd gear itself. The Liva, however, requires a downshift to 1st.
Count me out of the Liva fans, then. I can't count the number of speedbreakers I have to travel over every day. If I were to keep downshifting to first all the time I might as well drive an automatic then. Why, even my old Santro can do better with a full load!
Old 28th June 2011, 11:48   #127
BHPian

Phew, what a review! Henceforth, 5 star is a default rating. A new scale to be invented for awesome reviews like this. Some points of note:

1) Good to see the i10 being included in the same bracket as the Liva. For a long time, it was not considered in this comparison range despite having an excellent engine and interiors.

2) The cars that get mentioned repeatedly are as follows:

a. Engine -> i10 and Swift
b. Handling -> Swift
c. Sorted ride -> Figo
d. Kit -> i20

3) Very rarely do I see the Polo being mentioned

a. Except in situations like cramped rear
b. Sometimes when talking of interior quality
c. Are VW taking the badge snobbery too seriously?
d. Importantly, without a major USP, is Toyota going the same way?

4) Even the future projected volumes are 8.5k (Etios + Liva combined)

a. Swift + DZire sell more than double that already (!!)
b. Just shows how much longer other manufacturers have to go before catching up with Maruti

5) The international automotive perceptions are gradually taking shape in India too

a. VW -> Badge snobbery (in their stable)
b. Ford -> Sensible cars, blue collar image
c. Toyota -> Blandness, boring
d. Fiat -> Doing beautiful (but strange) things
e. Hyundai -> Up there, but yet to get due recognition

In all, if someone were to ask me to recommend a hatchback, I would find it difficult to recommend the Liva. Would probably recommend an Etios over the DZire, but not the Liva over the Swift (new one especially).

The pricing of the Liva shows how competitive the market has become and even more empahsises the pricing brilliance of the Suzuki and Hyundai (of-late Ford).

Would have liked to see some pictures of the car without the kit, in stock form. Does the kit hide the blandness? I think so.

5 stars for a super review + amazing timing (on launch date!). Thanks GTO!
Old 28th June 2011, 12:08   #128
BHPian

GTO Super review, the blue colour looks super cool and shinny under overcast conditions I am sure it will look more gleaming under bright sun. As you got to test drive it on Toyota test drive tracks was there any patch or test track with water on it or slightly muddy conditions available for testing ? (Just asking this out of curiosity)

When Toyota Etios was launched it was “Q Class” tagline that carried with it. However, we did see any such or similar tagline for Liva. May be what Etios had in offering a very few in its class had same offerings in the current market scenario. With Liva the case just opposite, the B segment is piling up with hatch backs from various manufacturers and as said it is up against a formidable line of hatch backs in the likes of Swift – Performance, i10 – Interior Quality, i20– features offered, Polo– European built and Figo/Punto – Handling and soon to be launched Beat Diesel. With 11,000 Livas pre manufactured for initial booking chaos and with “T” badge quality there should not be any problem either and with diesel slated to come later it will be interesting to see who’s market share Liva would eat-up.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:20   #129
BHPian

One has come to expect outstanding reviews on team-bhp. It's no mean feat that even the rising expectations are also being routinely exceeded. Excellent plant tour that one!

@GTO: Toyota didn't need to shorten the Etios' wheelbase. It would meet the sub-4 meter excise benefit category even with 90 mm more. Then why?

Could this be to attain shorter turning radius? Etios has a radius of 4.9 m. Liva achieves 4.75 m, which is very close to Swift's 4.7m. As long as ride quality and handling are not sacrificed, this seems to be a desirable change.

GTO, could you share how well does the engine hold its breath on top end? Does it feel underpowered? Would it have been adviseable for Toyota, to achieve better city driveability, to tune the engine/gearbox ratios for improved torque/power delivery at bottom end as compared to top end?

In the end, it looks like Toyota will have to exert much more to establish Liva in the market as compared to Etios.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:29   #130
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO, as always.

Did look it up recently, found the interiors very garish, if I may use the word. Totally in stark contrast to the delectable exterior.

Particularly did not like the center mounted speedo console and the liberal use of shiny grey and red. The red can be helped with better upholstery, the shiny grey can catch your blind-spot but the center mount is just not my taste.

Have to keep this one revved mostly over 2000 to see some spark, even at it's weight, but that is permissible I guess.

Being a Toyota itself assures of a lot, can safely assume it will be 'flying off their shelves'!
Old 28th June 2011, 12:34   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Thanks a lot GTO, as always.

Did look it up recently, found the interiors very garish, if I may use the word. Totally in stark contrast to the delectable exterior.

Particularly did not like the center mounted speedo console and the liberal use of shiny grey and red.
Totally agree. What were they thinking when they picked red as the accent color. Hopefully other colors will be available or red is only for premium models
Old 28th June 2011, 12:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Great review.. Looks like Toyota has got a winner on its cards. Cant wait for Diesel to be launched and see the beeline for getting the diesel model.
Honda must be kicking themselves on not jumping on the diesel bandwagon very early. (In fact, not jumped as yet)
Old 28th June 2011, 12:47   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Cant wait for Diesel to be launched and see the beeline for getting the diesel model.
Honda must be kicking themselves on not jumping on the diesel bandwagon very early. (In fact, not jumped as yet)
Liva Diesel for sure would definitely create a dent on segment leaders thriving on diesel mills (swift & i20).The competition would be more intense in this segment after the launch of new swift.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:12   #134
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Great review by GTO also created more interest about the car.

The big question is how Toyota Liva is going to stand in the highly competitive segment. As this car is from one of the best manufacturer of tremendous quality products, the expectation is bit more.

But the compromise is well noted by the bhpians clearly. I personally feel the Toyota badge and an affordable price would help to do well in the market.

The decision of diesel launch (even though Toyota has not given any commitment) would certainly depend on Liva petrol sales.

On seeing the photos, it seems the steering wheel is for the driver and the cluster IP/controls is for the co-passenger .
Old 28th June 2011, 13:23   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Liva Diesel for sure would definitely create a dent on segment leaders thriving on diesel mills (swift & i20).The competition would be more intense in this segment after the launch of new swift.
Not really I think. Swift diesel has proved itself to be pretty reliable and the upcoming Swift not only looks better but will also come with better equipment levels, will be safer and will in all probability will cost lesser to going by the pricing of the Liva Petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks