Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 19:58   #151
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review

Yet another simply amazing review! I realize how difficult it is to write a review when i tried to write up mine.Its exactly as though they have just researched the very bare essentials of whats needed in the segment and built the car right around it.
Old 28th June 2011, 19:59   #152
Senior - BHPian

I just loved your factory shots here (as well as the Ford one's). Great review GTO...

And why does Toyota remain an enigma even after making boring cars? Well, this Shapur Kotwal article in Autocar does sum it up nicely - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2409234
Old 28th June 2011, 20:03   #153
Senior - BHPian

Went to Nippon Toyota this afternoon to take a look. The one thing I am not complaining about is the room inside - the front seats are decent and there is enough room at the rear for 3 adults without feeling too cramped IMHO. Leg room and thigh support seemed adequate too. It appeared better looking than the sedan thanks to a better rear (the sedan's posterior reminds me of the Logan). But that was it... my earlier take (about a feeling of compromised Q stands). Could not test drive it since they hadn't registered the TD vehicle.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:08   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO- fabulous review as always. The factory visit report is the icing on the cake. 5*! Did a detect an undercurrent of gentle approval in your review?

If so, it's not unwarranted: Toyota has discovered the Midas touch in the Indian market. Each and every vehicle they have launched: from the humble Qualis to the majestic Fortuner, has been a success. I have no doubt they have cracked it with the Liva/Etios as well.

A Toyota at under 4 lacs is an unbeatable value proposition. At lunch today, couldn't help but notice the buzz among some of my (mid-20s) lunch companions. Yet it seems Toyota has tossed in a few extras for the VX variant to tempt the sophisticated buyer who'd otherwise go for the Swift: Cooled glovebox, that SEXY steering wheel, 15" alloys, steering-mounted controls. The only dealbreakers for me are the gaudy/dull interiors and that awful centre-mounted console . Though in all honesty, if you sit in this car (or the Etios) for a while, it sort of grows on you!

A Toyota hot hatch with a 1.5L engine, as you rightly point out, will acquire instant cult appeal a la the Palio 1.6, Fiesta 1.6S or the Polo 1.6. They need to do a damn good job sprucing up the interiors, though.

My prediction: this car will sell like hot cakes. 8500 a month between this and the sedan sibling is not as ambitious a target as some people are making it out to be. I have a feelin it will outstrip even what Toyota are projecting!
Old 28th June 2011, 20:12   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My prediction: this car will sell like hot cakes. 8500 a month between this and the sedan sibling is not as ambitious a target as some people are making it out to be. I have a feelin it will outstrip even what Toyota are projecting!
I also have a feeling that Liva will sell in a decent numbers.

@ GTO: Excellent review as always.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:42   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Same here. I liked the Liva at the Auto Expo and do so today. Actually, I like the Liva's clean lines a whole lot more than some futuristic cars like the Beat (for instance).
And to add on, with such a clean design, it’s easy for Toyota to do another Corolla Altis with the Liva – i.e.; the new generation to be a mild evolution of the current one, rather than going for a radical redesign.

Quote:
Yes, and I think the Liva with all its limitations, has got the capability to attract a wide spectrum of buyers – from a potential Nano buyer to someone who is considering a Swift.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:05   #157
BHPian

Awesome review GTO. This car will sell well because of the Toyota badge. I find the figo a better alternative because of its ride and handling and VFM packaging.

@GTO, maybe you can add steering rattle under what you won't like for the I20. Many of them are facing this issue and Hyundai seems to blatantly ignore it by not giving a permanent solution.

Last edited by shivasuma : 28th June 2011 at 21:06.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:27   #158
BHPian

I am a big Toyota fanboy and sincerely wish this car, along with its twin fails in the market (initial euphoria not withstanding), so that Toyota learns its lesson and starts offering proper vehicles to Indian consumers.

Also, to those that who say every Toyota product so far has been a hit in India, all I have to say is - all the vehicles they have released so far - Qualis, Innova, Corolla and Fortuner fly the Toyota quality flag high, unlike the Etios twins

This may be a cut price Toyota, but then have you seen how many short cuts they have made with the car? It has all the required ingredients for success alright, but the question is - will it last the 4-5 years of abuse on Indian roads? I doubt it considering the flimsy build of the car.

Why does Toyota have to do this to us? Why, Toyota, Why?
Old 29th June 2011, 09:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Yes, and I think the Liva with all its limitations, has got the capability to attract a wide spectrum of buyers – from a potential Nano buyer to someone who is considering a Swift.
True. All the more reason for Maruti to get the new Swift in quickly. The diesel option in Swift can counter the Liva until the diesel version is out.

I'm still hoping Toyota changes the awful looking center mounted console to a conventional one in the diesel Liva. . If I was in the market for a hatch, that alone would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:30   #160
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO! Loved the plant walkthrough even more
5 stars!
Old 29th June 2011, 10:38   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm still hoping Toyota changes the awful looking center mounted console to a conventional one in the diesel Liva. If I was in the market for a hatch, that alone would be a deal breaker for me.
I don't think they will change it. From what I infer, that’s the Toyota way for its small cars. Even the Yaris/Vios have a center-mounted meter console. It looks so upmarket though.

See a reference pic from Toyota global website
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Liva : Test Drive & Review-2011_yaris_gal_i_08.jpg  

Old 29th June 2011, 10:43   #162
Senior - BHPian

The petrol Liva may not make such a huge impact but things will get a lot hotter when the diesel comes in and then it will be really interesting to see how Maruti positions and prices its new Swift. Swift may finally see a proper competitor then.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:54   #163
BHPian

Great review! I loved the sneak peek of Toyota's manufacturing facility.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:05   #164
BHPian

Quote:
GTO- fabulous review as always. The factory visit report is the icing on the cake. 5*! Did a detect an undercurrent of gentle approval in your review?

If so, it's not unwarranted: Toyota has discovered the Midas touch in the Indian market. Each and every vehicle they have launched: fwho'd otherwise go for the Swift: Cooled glovebox, that SEXY steering wheel, 15" alloys, steering-mounted controls. The only . I have a feelin it will outstrip even what Toyota are projecting!

Very courageous prediction indeed on the numbers!

Having said that I have to say that I do agree with your opinion on an overall basis . People buying their first car, young professionals , buyers of a second car for their families etc will find this entry level option from the Toyota stable to be a strong contender for their Rupees.

Discerning buyers as most of the members on the forum like to be, I mean no disrespect here, do not constitute the aam junta. If this product has stable manufacturing level QC ensuring there are no recurrent niggles and provide a stress free economical ownership, I am reasonably sure it will garner enviable volumes from the aam junta.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 11:29   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Discerning buyers as most of the members on the forum like to be, I mean no disrespect here, do not constitute the aam junta.
The majority of T-Bhpians belong to the aam junta.
It's only a few who own lauras, beemers and fortuners in this forum.
And the success of cars like Polo and i20, has clearly proved that the aam junta wants quality products with modern looks.

What Toyota is trying to do is ape the market leader MS. This is what yamaha and Bajaj tried to do in the 2 wheeler segment( i.e ape HH). They learn their lessons and went back to what they are good at, and their sales numbers picked up.

Most Viewed